• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

GavinUK86

I absolutely LOVE how they've combined the ME1 weapon systems and ME2/3's. A lot of people, me included, didn't like the ammo system in 2/3. Now you have both, beam weapons that have unlimited ammo but can overheat and standard bullet ammo. I know you had some of these in 2 and 3 but they weren't so widespread. The melee weapons look so much fun too! I need that asari sword.

And like I said in the other thread, seeing Sara Ryder in the skills/inventory screen shows how nice her face actually is. It could've been the lighting or mid-animation that made her look terrible before.
image1uwpsf.png

Also, that skills tree! LOVE EVERYTHING I'M SEEING.

Biotics doesnt look anywhere near as fun as it was in ME2 and 3. Pull is now totally lame. Before you could pull and throw around corners and over cover. Now you pull people to you? What about biotic detonations? This doesnt look as fun for an Adept as it was before.

Dave_6

No doubt. I am torn between PC and PS4 Pro. I can't seem to get my KS8000 UHD color working with my PC and I really wanna play with HDR.

I'm getting it for the Pro since I just got an LG OLED so gotta try the HDR. Granted if I like it enough, I'll buy it on PC too if mine will run it well. That 60fps footage looks great.

Ennosuke

A couple of weeks ago I felt negative about this game, although I absolutely love the original trilogy. But somehow they turned it around and I am know extremely hyped. Finally jumping back into the ME universe! I love Sci-Fi!

Combat looks goddamn cool. I really like how things seem to chain together so cleanly. Bioware might've nailed the IASA frames here.

dugdug

Banned
Looks pretty fun! One question though:

Are you not able to pause combat and bring up a weapon/power wheel? Or did I miss that?

grimmiq

Looks great, I've been over my irritation of the ME3 ending for a few years now (I bought 2 Marauder Shields shirts shortly after release).. Fem Rdyer's face looks dead in those menus, still going male my 1st playthrough as usual...for reasons...

1 Boss left in Nioh, followed by Yakuza 0, after that I need to make time to play through the original trilogy before this comes out.

Watching your character jump and hover in midair and go balls deep on enemies is all i needed to see to make my purchasing decision.

Sou Da

Looks pretty fun! One question though:

Are you not able to pause combat and bring up a weapon/power wheel? Or did I miss that?

They brought up the weapon wheel. It's where the ammo powers are all now.

Also I didn't notice this at first but the directed pull is able to grab stuff from the environment too.

Shooting from cover still looks boring. It was in previous ME games. I can't even think about playing as anything other than a Vanguard with a shotgun or something. That was the only to enjoy the combat in ME2 and ME3 for me, and I suspect it will be the same here as well. I just didn't enjoy sniping and cloaking at all in ME style battles. You basically fight in arenas in these games and frenetic melee combat is really the only thing that works for me in arena layouts. It does look smooth so I guess vanguard style will be even better than before.

I thought the game looked a ton more mobile, like the dash move sideways (presumably uses the jetpack) and also being on next gen means bigger more complex battle environments, so mobility will be very important to avoid damage from the big mech type enemies

Sasie

The more exotic planets/locations looks stunning but the military base section was a tiny bit bland in my opinion. I'm not fully convinced Frostbite is really the best engine to use for Bioware's RPGs. However other then that I have no problem with the trailer overall. Combat is not the main reason I play games from Bioware and this looks good enough to enjoy while going through the game.

It's still silly you can just pick a biotic/tech talent whenever you want though. Seems a tiny bit lore breaking to me but nothing overly bad since players can just choose to level in similar ways to old classes in the past. I also prefer some weapon restricts personally but again I will simply choose to use the ones that makes sense for the character I play/build so no big deal.

Adryuu

A good overview of classes/skills, but still there's no continuous footage in that video longer than 15 seconds...

edit: Like a "this is how a whole fight can play out, and here's how you can use various skills" kind of deal. It's just snippets of each ability.

Isn't the last minute precisely that? Have to see it again on tv but I think the last part was uncut.

At least it seems they're making an effort on marketing this time as this is better than all the shit that came before I guess.

Looking pretty good I'd say. Taking into account they said main missions are more arena like I'd say it will be varied between out in the open shootings and confined interior fights, with cover gameplay and jumping/mobility also.

Good.

Next video please uncut exploration with banter and enemies and everything, thanks.

A bit leery about how there skills for gun classes again, because I really don't want to go back to ME1's shitty "fire an assault rifle at a dude's chest & hit his legs" level of accuracy.

Shooting from cover still looks boring. It was in previous ME games. I can't even think about playing as anything other than a Vanguard with a shotgun or something. That was the only to enjoy the combat in ME2 and ME3 for me, and I suspect it will be the same here as well. I just didn't enjoy sniping and cloaking at all in ME style battles. You basically fight in arenas in these games and frenetic melee combat is really the only thing that works for me in arena layouts. It does look smooth so I guess vanguard style will be even better than before.

There seems to be a focus on melee weapons too, so I think you'll be good.

GavinUK86

Biotics doesnt look anywhere near as fun as it was in ME2 and 3. Pull is now totally lame. Before you could pull and throw around corners and over cover. Now you pull people to you? What about biotic detonations? This doesnt look as fun for an Adept as it was before.

The possibilities of this doesn't look fun to you?

giphy.gif

Personally I thought it looked more fun, being able to pull an enemy and throw them

they showed a cryo detonation (showed combo text) so its very likely biotics have combos too

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Some stuff looked a bit floaty but considering the scale and the sheer amount of options that was pretty damn great. Glad they're finally showing the damn game off finally.

Da fuck are you on about? Did you NOT see that?!

GaOIKt5.gif

MartyStu

ME1 wasn't complex as much as it was broad. Andromeda's RPG mechanics look as broad as 1's with the depth of 3's.

At this point, that is just arguing semantics.

The overall point is that ME2 and 3 took different paths from ME1 and ME: A seems to be revisiting many of the elements abandoned in ME1.

This is a good thing.

I hope the next Dragon Age tries to do the same.

mindsale

I'm terribly excited for this. Hope I've finished Zelda by then.

Also I hope there're some new tech and biotic abilities I don't recognize from 1-3.

Lt-47

A bit leery about how there skills for gun classes again, because I really don't want to go back to ME1's shitty "fire an assault rifle at a dude's chest & hit his legs" level of accuracy.

That's the only thing I'm worried about, ME3 gun a had a really good punch/feel to them and I don't want to get Borderlands like peas shooter just for the sake of "RPG"

The more exotic planets/locations looks stunning but the military base section was a tiny bit bland in my opinion. I'm not fully convinced Frostbite is really the best engine to use for Bioware's RPGs. However other then that I have no problem with the trailer overall. Combat is not the main reason I play games from Bioware and this looks good enough to enjoy while going through the game.

It's still silly you can just pick a biotic/tech talent whenever you want though. Seems a tiny bit lore breaking to me but nothing overly bad since players can just choose to level in similar ways to old classes in the past. I also prefer some weapon restricts personally but again I will simply choose to use the ones that makes sense for the character I play/build so no big deal.

I noticed they kind of changed the lore in the class descriptions for ME3. Different biotic classes use different biotic amps for their abilities (so an adept has a different amp than a vanguard). and tech is gadget based, so they basically made it an equipment change (and doesnt look like soldier gets slow time of adrenalin rush in andromeda either which sucks)

Okay. Time to preorder this. I'll play the beta if I get in, but I'm done with videos. That convinced me that even if this is the worst Bioware story ever(it won't) or if the game is stuffed with filler, the gameplay, coop, and environments will be enough to justify.

Lime

The thing that made me the happiest was the environmental temperature affecting you (<3 <3 <3 <3) and the return of overheating to weapons.

MartyStu

I think pretty much everyone who designs Shooter RPGs have long since learned how monumentally stupid it is to have baseline weapon accuracy be affected by stats.

Top Bottom