• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Cinematic trailer

I don't need an army. I've got a family.

649588728_6ada14490d.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
The hyperbole...

It's not the best-looking game I've ever seen, but I think it looks perfectly fine.

I can find bad pictures too. This is ME1 Shepard on PC. Back in 2008.

mass-effect-shepard-dmdsa4.jpg

I mean, obviously it's showing it's age as it's nearly a decade old, but the face still has more apparent detail in it than the current male Ryder. It's kind of odd.

Dalibor68

Banned
I don't know who designed the male Ryder, but he's about as generic as you can possibly get. Shepard was generic too, but he actually looked a lot better IMO. Maybe it's just the engine, but both of the Ryder twins look really bad to me.

Not generic at all, unless you want to be ultra-reductionalist and go "white bald spacemarine hurr durr".

(google his actor Vanderloo as well)

adj_noun

That Pathfinder video was actually pretty neat. I don't remember seeing Alec Ryder before.

At first he looked like a custom Shepard to me, heh.

As a minor complaint, the male main character still looks uninspired to me. Shep actually wasn't that unique of a design either, but I guess it just looked better to me. The rest of the visuals actually look pretty good at this point, but I'm still not really feeling the rest yet.

I guess the problem is that my vision of science fiction is probably something that Bioware is never going to deliver on. This almost seems like a standard storyline against a generic big bad, just set in space. And what's the idea here exactly? The colonizers are so stupid that they colonized worlds without checking to see if they were welcome or if there were other people on the planet? Or the big bad is just a generic baddie who is trying to kill everyone? I dunno. It's hard for me to express exactly what I wanted, but I guess I was dreaming of something that erred more towards the grand adventure of sci-fi than that. I've said this before, but the feeling I wanted from the game was a sense of wonderment (I mean we're in a new galaxy right?), and I just don't feel it yet.

Sanctuary

Not generic at all, unless you want to be ultra-reductionalist and go "white bald spacemarine hurr durr".

The generic space marine look is what I was talking about. You might call it being reductionist, but the game was released during a period of "MOAR BADASS MARINE!" type games. His actual face though looked better to me than the male (or female) Ryder, and that was almost a decade ago.

Jumeira

Banned
hmm not feeling it. Where are the different races ? That POS Dragon Age Inquisition really really has me worried for this game.

The fact that it reminds me of Star Trek: Beyond is a good thing to me.

Looks like lots of cool scifi stuff to see, a cast of hopefully likeable characters (will be determined upon playing), and action. Just what I signed up for! This is the next game I will be buying for sure.

Also, let's wait to see what the bad guy is actually like before we start calling him a "generic big bad" or whatever we're going with here. We know almost nothing at this point other than he has a cool booming voice.

Jumeira

Banned
I mean, unless you're being deliberately obtuse you clearly get two new races in the trailer. The Kett and the Angarans.

I was expecting the same amount as I saw in ME1 for the first time, interesting and varied. Pains me to not feel excited for this, everything so far feels off.

Sanctuary

Guess I actually now have a reason to bother with the face creator. Default Shepard always looked good to me, and I was playing as Shepard, not as some other random character that I created, so his own face was fine. Ryder however actually looks like one of the goofy alternates you can cycle through with the other premade faces. It's just bad.

Actually, his model isn't terrible though.

SliChillax

I can find bad pictures too. This is ME1 Shepard on PC. Back in 2008.

mass-effect-shepard-dmdsa4.jpg

I mean, obviously it's showing it's age as it's nearly a decade old, but the face still has more apparent detail in it than the current male Ryder. It's kind of odd.
You're judging from a compressed YouTube trailer? When will you people learn to wait for the game to come out before making these claims?

I guess the problem is that my vision of science fiction is probably something that Bioware is never going to deliver on. This almost seems like a standard storyline against a generic big bad, just set in space. And what's the idea here exactly? The colonizers are so stupid that they colonized worlds without checking to see if they were welcome or if there were other people on the planet? Or the big bad is just a generic baddie who is trying to kill everyone? I dunno. It's hard for me to express exactly what I wanted, but I guess I was dreaming of something that erred more towards the grand adventure of sci-fi than that. I've said this before, but the feeling I wanted from the game was a sense of wonderment (I mean we're in a new galaxy right?), and I just don't feel it yet.
Nah, the Andromeda Initiative isn't stupid. They just have no FTL sensors, so all their readings saying the planet was uninhabited were outdated when they got there.

That said, I don't think you could ever get that kind of open-ended scifi grand adventure with current technology. No Man's Sky tried, but failed because if you go for that huge experience, the quality of each individual planet drops drastically. Having a smaller scope helps not only make the planets better, because more time and effort can be spent creating them, but could help the story maintain a tighter focus.

Also, smaller scope hopefully means Bioware won't be dumb enough to make another threat that could destroy the entire setting as we know it.

Dalibor68

Banned
Guess I actually now have a reason to bother with the face creator. Default Shepard always looked good to me, and I was playing as Shepard, not as some other random character that I created, so his own face was fine. Ryder however actually looks like one of the goofy alternates you can cycle through with the other premade faces. It's just bad.

Actually, his model isn't terrible though.

Looks too "soft" in my opinion. Think I will also potentially use the character creator for the first time, assuming it doesn't spit out abominations like previous ME editors.

CoolNumber9

This nitpicking is just so funny. Espically when people complain how bad it looks graphically, which is completely wrong unless your using a 720p tv or something. But Zelda and I like Zelda but it is coming out on the newest hardware running at 900p with flat ass textures, barren open world and people are just falling all over themselves about how beautiful it is. Lol. Art direction is a big component but from the art I'm seeing with ME:A it looks incredible. It's all just funny.

Muzicfreq

Banned
You're judging from a compressed YouTube trailer? When will you people learn to wait for the game to come out before making these claims?
I would argue the fact they need eyes checked since there's far more improvements than their rosetinted glasses are able to see

Hoo-doo

Banned

The initial comparison was cherry-picked and based off Youtube videos, so i'm just putting in a reference here for what Shepard's face looked like nearly ten years ago.

Nah, the Andromeda Initiative isn't stupid. They just have no FTL sensors, so all their readings saying the planet was uninhabited were outdated when they got there.

That said, I don't think you could ever get that kind of open-ended scifi grand adventure with current technology. No Man's Sky tried, but failed because if you go for that huge experience, the quality of each individual planet drops drastically. Having a smaller scope helps not only make the planets better, because more time and effort can be spent creating them, but could help the story maintain a tighter focus.

Also, smaller scope hopefully means Bioware won't be dumb enough to make another threat that could destroy the entire setting as we know it.
This is why it's hard for me to explain what I'm looking for. I don't necessarily want something truly open-ended. We've had NMS and someday Star Citizen for attempts at something like this. Like I said I think my biggest interest was a sense of wonder and exploration. You don't necessarily need a lot of planets or procedural generation to do that. Basic open world games and even some linear games have inspired that wonder. As of yet, with this game the problem is that I feel just ho-hum. I'm definitely in wait and see mode.

This nitpicking is just so funny. Espically when people complain how bad it looks graphically, which is completely wrong unless your using a 720p tv or something. But Zelda and I like Zelda but it is coming out on the newest hardware running at 900p with flat ass textures, barren open world and people are just falling all over themselves about how beautiful it is. Lol. Art direction is a big component but from the art I'm seeing with ME:A it looks incredible. It's all just funny.
A lot of people are disappointed with how graphically underwhelming Zelda is in places.

Schlorgan

This is why it's hard for me to explain what I'm looking for. I don't necessarily want something truly open-ended. We've had NMS and someday Star Citizen for attempts at something like this. Like I said I think my biggest interest was a sense of wonder and exploration. You don't necessarily need a lot of planets or procedural generation to do that. Basic open world games and even some linear games have inspired that wonder. As of yet, with this game the problem is that I feel just ho-hum. I'm definitely in wait and see mode.
I think most people don't know what they actually want from this game.

EDarkness

Man, not sure what it is, but this game just isn't clicking with me. The first three games had me insanely hyped and I was there on day 1. With this game, I'm not sure. It's bummin' me out since Mass Effect is one of my all time favorite game series. I'll still pick this up, but I'm not in any real hurry to play it. This trailer didn't help, either.

mlclmtckr

Banned

Zelda is going for a painterly cel-shaded (lol 'flat textures') look and nailing it. Mass Effect is going for a realistic look and failing at it, even compared to older Mass Effect games.

Top Bottom