• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Pew Survey of 8000 cops finds officers' views sharply divided by race

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot to digest here.

Tdkc.png

It's a shame that police unions will prevent anything from being done about this.

Yeah, this in particular is interesting. Regardless of the racial issue, it's clear there's a major issue with accountability here.

akira28

I come from a police family, and I will just say that conversations over the holidays and at funerals have been different from previous years. Which is surprising since I could always rely on my relatives or family friends to always take the 'justified actions' narrative, solely on the basis of "I can just see what it would be like if it was me". But it is interesting to see the lines clearing up.

If I had to describe it, my take would be that denial is drying up. And I can only guess how this will affect the corps of police, as they wonder what their fellow (black) officers believe.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
it's a good survey but it basically highlights a known issue with the police in America.

Good Cops exist and you'll see it in an anonymous survey like this. Put them in a situation though where they need to step up and vocally address the institutionalized racism that does exist and they are pressured by the system to not speak up.

Ogodei

What the hell do they think they're protesting about? Do they think people get mad for no reason?

Protesting because they already hated the police for no reason and were just using the killing as an excuse. That's what i gathered from that other survey question.

I come from a police family, and I will just say that conversations over the holidays and at funerals have been different from previous years. Which is surprising since I could always rely on my relatives or family friends to always take the 'justified actions' narrative, solely on the basis of "I can just see what it would be like if it was me". But it is interesting to see the lines clearing up.

If I had to describe it, my take would be that denial is drying up. And I can only guess how this will affect the corps of police, as they wonder what their fellow (black) officers believe.

The fact there's White & Black unions says everything about the racial divide within cop shops. Im just glad the majority of Black officers are honest about what the fuck is going on. That DOJ report from Baltimore reflected poorly on them.

Protesting because they already hated the police for no reason and were just using the killing as an excuse. That's what i gathered from that other survey question.

As if hating cops was an illegitimate position.

On the more bizarre side of things:
Mekc.png

I dont get the 30 point separation between cops & the public in views on assault weapons.

Cops handle weapons enough to know that "assault weapon" is a fictitious categorization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom