• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Race Relations Are at Lowest Point in Obama Presidency, Poll Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link. Didn't see a thread.

Sixty-nine percent of Americans say race relations are generally bad, one of the highest levels of discord since the 1992 riots in Los Angeles during the Rodney King case, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

The poll, conducted from Friday, the day after the killing of five Dallas police officers, until Tuesday, found that six in 10 Americans say race relations were growing worse, up from 38 percent a year ago.

Relations between black Americans and the police have become so brittle that more than half of black people say they were not surprised by the attack that killed five police officers and wounded nine others in Dallas last week. Nearly half of white Americans say that they, too, were unsurprised by the episode, the survey found.

Asked whether the police in most communities are more likely to use deadly force against a black person than a white person, three-quarters of African-Americans answered yes, and only about half as many white people agree. Fifty-six percent of whites said that the race of the suspect made no difference in the use of force; only 18 percent of black Americans said so.

When asked to rate the job their local police department was doing, four in five whites said excellent or good; a majority of blacks answered fair or poor. More than two-fifths of black people say the police in their communities make them feel more anxious than safe. By wide margins, whites and Hispanics say the police make them feel safer.

Black and white opinion is sharply divided on the aims and the approach of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Seventy percent of African-Americans are sympathetic to the movement, compared with only 37 percent of whites. Among all Americans, 41 percent agree with the movement, 25 percent disagree and 29 percent do not have an opinion either way.

The nationwide Times/CBS News Poll was conducted July 8 to 12 on cellphones and landlines with 1,600 adults, including 171 black respondents and 1,207 whites. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points for all adults, three points for whites and nine points for blacks.

"during obama presidency" as if it has anything to do with that. no, it can't be the exponential growth of social media, instant sharing, live streams, and handheld 1080p cameras on phones, all helping to shine light on shit that's been happening for generations, nope. that damn obama

I think "during Obama presidency" is kind of a weird way to describe it because Presidents don't have that much power over cultural trends like this. I guess they just want a cheap headline.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I thought the same when I read that line. Especially since you can't go into a protest thread without people telling BLM protesters how they should be protesting.

"during obama presidency" as if it has anything to do with that. no, it can't be the exponential growth of social media, instant sharing, live streams, and handheld 1080p cameras on phones, all helping to shine light on shit that's been happening for generations, nope. that damn obama

It has been 24 hours since he got blamed for something.

AxelFoley

This right here.

Muhfuckas act like Obama was supposed to wipe out 400 years of racism and hate all by himself in 8 years. These the same fucknuggets that said Obama supporters saw him as the Messiah, but who was looking for miracles? Not us.

Jigolo

racial relations are better than ever before though. we're lucky to be living in this time and racial relations have only gotten better and better

the problem is that the negative moments are the ones that paint the picture in everyone's mind that make them think it's worse than it really is.

Onemic

I wonder how it compares to the 60s?

CmOaOBdWEAEn6cG.jpg

Pat your selves on the back conservative media, you've set the country back 100 years just because you couldn't handle having a black man as president.

Slayven

racial relations are better than ever before though. we're lucky to be living in this time and racial relations have only gotten better and better

the problem is that the negative moments are the ones that paint the picture in everyone's mind that make them think it's worse than it really is.
We can still imporve., just because it is "better" doesn't mean it is acceptable
Shhhhhhiiiiiitttt they were hot that Sept.

What exactly is the solution when a bunch of people want blacks to stay quiet and accept their reality and any kind of protest or challenge makes them "uncomfortable"?

Clearly the answer is Donald Trump.

zero_suit

Better but still sucks.

You also have shit like The Tea Party and the madness they've been spewing, and alt-right in general, because when it comes down to it, those are types are the root cause of everything fucked up about this Country.

I guess Obama deserves some of the blame for not being 100% white though. The nerve.

Slayven

It reads like people started becoming less okay with it as the movement gained more and more momentum.

Where have we seen that before.

I bet people were inconvenienced when the bus company damn near went bankrupt. You know Nana Ruth drove a bus, and they cut back on her hours

Volimar

Are there actual metric for tracking race relations or is it strictly based on how people think things are going?

So, pretty much like today? And people dare to bring MLK and the movement to belittle BLM.

Poor MLK. Even some of the supporters of BLM tend to misuse his quotes. I honestly wonder what he'd think if he were still around. Would he see progress or stagnation? What would his reaction to a black president have been?

I'm sorry, but it's not good enough. It will be good when us black people can get justice when one of our own get gunned down by a fuckhead cop and he doesn't get away smelling like roses. It will be good when we just stop getting gunned down in the first place. It will be good when we stop getting treated as less than nothing. It will be good when more people care about the struggle of what we go through and don't just brush it off and go about their day. Right now, it's just at that point where it's mediocre. There is much room for improvement, but it's going to be a hell of a road to get to "good". Apologies for the harshness, but right now, it's just not that good.

AxelFoley

Exactly. Things ain't perfect (and things never will be), but despite what we see in the news, shit is waaaaay better than it was back in the day. Like POTUS said, if you could live at any time, you'd pick today. The fuck if I'd want to live in 1700s, 1800s or even as recent as the 1950s or 60s. Hell, I don't think I'd even want to live in the 70s--and I was born in 1973.

Infinite

Exactly. Things ain't perfect (and things never will be), but despite what we see in th news shit is waaaaay better than it was back in the day. Like POTUS said, if you could live at any time, you'd pick today. The fuck if I'd want to live in 1700s, 1800s or even as recent as the 1950s or 60s. Hell, I don't think I'd even want to live in the 70s--and I was born in 1973.
The current state of things is still unacceptable and people only get to live era. "Yeah but it's better than it was before" is a huge deflection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom