• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Race Relations Are at Lowest Point in Obama Presidency, Poll Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does this have to do with Obama?

People thank him for tons of stuff he has little to no control over. How his approval rating is so high is a mystery especially from blacks who are still way at the bottom on a whole slew of stuff. Can't imagine that many have refinanced their homes, are benefiting that much from low interest rates, receiving Medicaid if they're poor enough, etc. GOP lets very little get through and what does make it through is pretty sad in terms of improving the black situation. Hopefully, Hillary or Trump can do much more.

AxelFoley

The current state of things is still unacceptable and people only get to live era. "Yeah but it's better than it was before" is a huge deflection

Dude, I'm black. You don't have to tell me. Like I said, things arent perfect (and again, it never will be), but they are way better than they past. It seems worse to some because technology and social media have exposed more people to what black folks have been saying FOR YEARS.

Volimar

People thank him for tons of stuff he has little to no control over. How his approval rating is so high is a mystery especially from blacks who are still way at the bottom on a whole slew of stuff. Can't imagine that many have refinanced their homes, are benefiting that much from low interest rates, receiving Medicaid if they're poor enough, etc. GOP lets very little get through and what does make it through is pretty sad in terms of improving the black situation. Hopefully, Hillary or Trump can do much more.

TheLaughingStock

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
CmOaOBdWEAEn6cG.jpg

Demon stations would hurt anyone's cause.

AxelFoley

Is this a serious post?

Onemic

That image is misleading. Here is the full Gallup data from 61-69 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggkMAM&usg=AFQjCNE1hDN_n_VH51AR87FjJUBb-RLbng

That simply further proves the argument that white people were just as against black protests back then as they are now. Read the survey results and look at the demographics that are being polled. All the ones where the majority is in support of the cause are polled from a black population or are from the early 60's as shown in the picture I posted.

Example:

Harris Survey [December, 1966]
Tell me for each man if in your opinion you think he is helping or hurting the N
egro cause of civil rights... Martin Luther King?

36% Helping
50% Hurting
14% Not Sure
Subpopulation: Whites
Methodology: Conducted by Louis Harris & Associates during December, 1966, and b
ased on personal interviews with a national adult sample of 1,250. Sample size i
s approximate. As reported in The Philadelphia Inquirer [USHARRIS.121966.R1A]
Data provided by The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research.

and:

Gallup Poll (AIPO) [October, 1964]
PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS ABOUT THE NEGRO DEMONSTRATIONS. WITH WHICH VIEW DO Y
OU AGREE? SOME PEOPLE SAY THE NEGROES SHOULD STOP THEIR DEMONSTRATIONS NOW THAT
THEY HAVE MADE THEIR POINT EVEN THOUGH SOME OF THEIR DEMANDS HAVE NOT BEEN MET.
OTHERS SAY THEY HAVE TO CONTINUE DEMONSTRATING IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE BETTER JOBS,
BETTER HOUSING, AND BETTER SCHOOLING. (WITH WHICH VIEW DO YOU AGREE?)
73% NEGROES SHOULD STOP DEMONSTRATIONS
19% HAVE TO CONTINUE
8% DON'T KNOW
Methodology: Conducted by Gallup Organization October 8-October 13, 1964, and ba
sed on personal interviews with a national adult sample of 1,550. [USGALLUP.699
.Q013]
Dataset: USAIPO1964-0699
Data provided by The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research.

They werent even supportive of MLK. It's funny how revisionist history tries to make it seem like it's the exact opposite.

Jigolo

I'm sorry, but it's not good enough. It will be good when us black people can get justice when one of our own get gunned down by a fuckhead cop and he doesn't get away smelling like roses. It will be good when we just stop getting gunned down in the first place. It will be good when we stop getting treated as less than nothing. It will be good when more people care about the struggle of what we go through and don't just brush it off and go about their day. Right now, it's just at that point where it's mediocre. There is much room for improvement, but it's going to be a hell of a road to get to "good". Apologies for the harshness, but right now, it's just not that good.
you are delusional if you think black people are treated as "less than nothing". like I said, the media (TV, internet) is painting this picture in your head that is not rational. saying something like that is asinine and you aren't the only person thinking like that, there are literally millions of comments/ Twitter posts that makes posts like this and the media thrives off this. it is a cycle

i won't respond again because I don't really care about talking about race ( I know GAF is obsessed with it). people are just people and shitty people are just shitty people to me. don't care where your from.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That image is misleading. Here is the full Gallup data from 61-69 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggkMAM&usg=AFQjCNE1hDN_n_VH51AR87FjJUBb-RLbng

Gallup Poll (AIPO) [May, 1961]
Do you approve or disapprove of what the 'Freedom Riders' are doing?

22% Approve
61% Disapprove
18% No opinion

Note: Asked of those who gave an answer when asked who the 'Freedom Riders' are
and what their purpose is (67%)

--

Do you think 'sit-ins' at lunch counters, 'freedom buses,' and other demonstrations by Negroes will hurt or help the Negro's chances of being integrated in the
South?

57% Hurt
28% Help
16% No opinion

--

Gallup Poll (AIPO) [May, 1964]
Do you think mass demonstrations by Negroes are more likely to help or more likely to hurt the Negro's cause for racial equality?

16% Help
74% Hurt
4% Make no difference (Vol.)
6% No opinion

--

Harris Survey [October, 1966]
All in all, do you feel the demonstrations by Negroes on civil rights have helped more or hurt more in the advancement of Negro rights?

85% Hurts Negro
15% Helps Negro

--
Tell me for each man if in your opinion you think he is helping or hurting the Negro cause of civil rights... Martin Luther King?

36% Helping
50% Hurting
14% Not Sure

--

Religion And Civil Rights [January, 1967]
Negroes would be better off if they would take advantage of the opportunities that have been made available rather than spending so much time protesting.

7% Definitely disagree
11% Probably disagree
30% Probably agree
53% Definitely agree

--

Damn.

TabooV

Neo Member
"during obama presidency" as if it has anything to do with that. no, it can't be the exponential growth of social media, instant sharing, live streams, and handheld 1080p cameras on phones, all helping to shine light on shit that's been happening for generations, nope. that damn obama
Agreed!

22% Approve
61% Disapprove
18% No opinion

--

Do you think 'sit-ins' at lunch counters, 'freedom buses,' and other demonstrations by Negroes will hurt or help the Negro's chances of being integrated in the
South?

57% Hurt
28% Help
16% No opinion

--

Do you think mass demonstrations by Negroes are more likely to help or more likely to hurt the Negro's cause for racial equality?

16% Help
74% Hurt
6% No opinion

--

All in all, do you feel the demonstrations by Negroes on civil rights have helped more or hurt more in the advancement of Negro rights?

85% Hurts Negro
15% Helps Negro

--
Tell me for each man if in your opinion you think he is helping or hurting the Negro cause of civil rights... Martin Luther King?

36% Helping
50% Hurting
14% Not Sure

--

Negroes would be better off if they would take advantage of the opportunities that have been made available rather than spending so much time protesting.

7% Definitely disagree
11% Probably disagree
30% Probably agree
53% Definitely agree

--

Damn.

Oh, deep in my heart,
I do believe
We shall overcome...

...someday

gdt

you are delusional if you think black people are treated as "less than nothing". like I said, the media (TV, internet) is painting this picture in your head that is not rational. saying something like that is asinine and you aren't the only person thinking like that, there are literally millions of comments/ Twitter posts that makes posts like this and the media thrives off this. it is a cycle

i won't respond again because I don't really care about talking about race ( I know GAF is obsessed with it). people are just people and shitty people are just shitty people to me. don't care where your from.

"I hate everyone equally, I'm not racist!"

Edit: and before you come back acting offended, I'm not calling you a racist.

JP_

Banned

22% Approve
61% Disapprove
18% No opinion

--

South?

57% Hurt
28% Help
16% No opinion

--

16% Help
74% Hurt
6% No opinion

--

85% Hurts Negro
15% Helps Negro

--

36% Helping
50% Hurting
14% Not Sure

--

7% Definitely disagree
11% Probably disagree
30% Probably agree
53% Definitely agree

--

Damn.

That's a good find.

Cipherr

i won't respond again because

If you are going to pull this shit, then just keep whatever you thought about saying to yourself. Its a discussion forum. If you just want to chuck shit into the ether and not actually discuss anything, use your Facebook/Twitter account.

22% Approve
61% Disapprove
18% No opinion

--

South?

57% Hurt
28% Help
16% No opinion

--

16% Help
74% Hurt
6% No opinion

--

85% Hurts Negro
15% Helps Negro

--

36% Helping
50% Hurting
14% Not Sure

--

7% Definitely disagree
11% Probably disagree
30% Probably agree
53% Definitely agree

--

Damn.

Whelp, so much for the whole MLK card. Damn that isn't all that surprising, but still sad to see. Funny how all these decades later people pretend that it was different back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom