• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

PhantomR

Banned
To paraphrase a Mr. Jensen, nobody asked for this. Not Mass Effect fans, not prospective Wii U buyers, certainly nobody who's seen you completely sabotaged yourself by announcing a much, much, much better value package for other consoles.

And then you'll turn around in 2 months, shrug your shoulders and say. "Well guys, we tried. No room for third parties on Nintendo systems.", whilst Ubisoft is rolling in Rayman Legends/ZombiU cash. Call me when you have some marketing moxie and put all ME games on the WiiU with great touchpad functionality for $60 with all DLC. I'd buy that, not this.

Yup.

I haven't heard any complaints from other 3rd party developers, and indie Dev, after indie Dev, after indie Dev has had nothing but awesome things to say about how easy as hell Nintendo is to work with, communicate with, and get support from when it concerns WiiU and 3DS.

Nintendo has really screwed things up with 3rd parties in the past, but not this time. This is all on EA.

Publicly traded company is right, and I hope they receive some flack from shareholders over this whole situation. The rumour is baseless. You can't show me any kind of proof. It's just playground rumours right up there with UFOs and happiness.

Publicly traded company is right, and I hope they receive some flack from shareholders over this whole situation. The rumour is baseless. You can't show me any kind of proof. It's just playground rumours right up there with UFOs and happiness.
Shareholders are not GAFers, they don't give a shit about this stuff as long as it sells

beje

Banned

Well, even if it's not the Origin rumours, there has to have happened something, definitely. You don't go from "lots of support for the WiiU, we're best buddies" to "one crummy port, last year's Madden and FIFA and nothing visible in the pipeline" in under 6 months without a reason.

Ridley327

That's true as well. Any word if Mass Effect 1's framerate was addressed in this re-release?

I believe that ME1 on the 360 is the same exact game disc, so that's a negative. Edge of Reality talked about improving the framerate for the PS3 port, and I can't imagine how they'd make it any worse.

Entropia

No One Remembers
This is pretty disappointing. Though me getting a Wii U is way down the line, Mass Effect 3 would've been one of my first purchases.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well, even if it's not the Origin rumours, there has to have happened something, definitely. You don't go from "lots of support for the WiiU, we're best buddies" to "one crummy port, last year's Madden and FIFA and nothing visible in the pipeline" in under 6 months without a reason.

And also "lol forget about Battlefield guys".

I don't know what happened between EA and Nintendo, but it seems like it was a childish fight and now EA is all "Screw you, you suck. *pout*"

I believe that ME1 on the 360 is the same exact game disc, so that's a negative. Edge of Reality talked about improving the framerate for the PS3 port, and I can't imagine how they'd make it any worse.

I heard terrible stories about ME1 on 360. ME1 on Wii U would probably be just as bad if ME3 is really such a mediocre port. And if PS3 has little to no improvements on ME1, i guess PC will yet again stay the best version since it doesn't have all the texture loading problems and terrible FPS.

I think that sentiment is a little too early to call.

I don't know what happened between EA and Nintendo, but it seems like it was a childish fight and now EA is all "Screw you, you suck. *pout*"

I give up. Someone should turn gaming into a soap opera, apparently there's a massive untapped market for it.

VerTiGo

Banned
Looks like I'll be getting the ps3 version instead. I am about to finish my play through mass effect2 so I wanted to jump on this for the wii u.

Are the visuals better on wii u ? I would expect a patch honestly for technical issues. Anyone word on multiplayer? I can ignore the technical stuff if it's minor.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks like I'll be getting the ps3 version instead. I am about to finish my play through mass effect2 so I wanted to jump on this for the wii u.

Are the visuals better on wii u ? I would expect a patch honestly for technical issues. Anyone word on multiplayer? I can ignore the technical stuff if it's minor.
Mass Effect 3 runs like shit on PS3 as well, though. It sounds like the WiiU version is similarly bad.

Both versions will provide a sub-optimal experience.

The 360 version is solid as is the PC version.

I heard terrible stories about ME1 on 360. ME1 on Wii U would probably be just as bad if ME3 is really such a mediocre port. And if PS3 has little to no improvements on ME1, i guess PC will yet again stay the best version since it doesn't have all the texture loading problems and terrible FPS.

I'm not sure if it's that, or if Nintendo initially promised devs a lot of functionality similar to 360/PS3 and then couldnt deliver on it. EA isn't the only one who was gung-ho at E3 2011 to take a major step backwards from the Wii U.

it really isn't unusualy for EA to treat a system like this at launch. The Xbox 360 launched with versions of Madden and FIFA that were missing features too and one multiplatform Need For Speed game.

so there's really no need to try and figure out why the Wii U software has turned out the way it has at launch, because it's basically par for the course from EA.

Effect

LOL.

I certainly hope that Riccitello isn't that stupid. Considering how poorly EA's games perform on Nintendo platforms from a sales perspective, any attempt to do that to Nintendo would be straight laughable.

This is why I'm not worried about them trying it. The only thing the Wii U would be missing out on would be sports games and not even all of them. There is still 2K Sports (Baseball, Tennis, Basketball, NCAA Football). Everything else can be covered by other developers/publishers. EA would only be hurting themselves.

Ridley327

It's absolutely incredible how bad ME1 runs on the 360; I was convinced that my 360 was dying while my brother was playing through it, but no, it really does run that bad.

It's absolutely incredible how bad ME1 runs on the 360; I was convinced that my 360 was dying while my brother was playing through it, but no, it really does run that bad.

Oh god, do you mean the texture pop-in? Thing looked like it was made in plasticine by Aardman half the time.

Ein Bear

I like to think that after all this time, and all the upgrades to UE3, that the PS3 port of ME1 will be much better than the terrible 360 version.

But maybe that game is just fucked on a fundamental level, so who knows.

Bisnic

The framerate. The headache-inducing framerate. It's amazing how much better ME2 is in this regard than ME1.

How bad is it really? 15-20 FPS? I mean... i can play it at 60 FPS with my PC with the occasional drop to 30-40 FPS when walking around the Citadel. Sure, i played this with 4gb of ram, a quad core CPU and a decent video card from 2009-2010, but still...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Another one to avoid then. I think for the first year, I'll stick to games written exclusively on WiiU to avoid disappointment.

Ydahs

This honestly doesn't surprise me. I'm being very cautious with buying ports on launch simply because (A) developers don't have the time to optimize antiquated engines to run on new hardware (B) publishers don't want to throw away money because launch titles aren't exactly money makers and of course (C) it's EA.

When I'll buy Mass Effect, it'll be for on Steam $20.

Another one to avoid then. I think for the first year, I'll stick to games written exclusively on WiiU to avoid disappointment.
Yeah, I'll probably do so too unless it's a simple game or uses the gamepad in innovative ways. One of those games is surprisingly Blop 2, which allows for multiplayer both on TV and gamepad. Hopefully it's a respectable port.

I don't really expect much from multiplatform titles until developers have either optimized their current engines to support WiiU or have completed their next generation engines which will utilize the modern hardware much more effectively. Even then, I'll probably be choosing between PS4 and WiiU anyway, so it goes back to the case of gamepad utilization.

Dabanton

Whats the bad blood between EA and Nintendo? They were best buds at that E3 conference and now? The relationship can best be describe from public mutterings as barely functioning.

Pociask

it really isn't unusualy for EA to treat a system like this at launch. The Xbox 360 launched with versions of Madden and FIFA that were missing features too and one multiplatform Need For Speed game.

so there's really no need to try and figure out why the Wii U software has turned out the way it has at launch, because it's basically par for the course from EA.

This is a little revisionist. In the first place, even though the EA sports titles may have missed features, they were undoubtedly the best looking versions of the franchises ever released on consoles - they had a clear advantage over any other version yet released. And with the EA teaser / target trailer, Madden in the snow etc., it seemed clear at the time that EA was dedicated to doing awesome things on this new HD console. Has EA done anything like that with Wii U?

Also, don't just look at released games - consider announced games. Just looking at X05, which was a month before the 360 launched: Godfather, Battlefield, Burnout, Superman. Bioware, now owned by EA, had announced Mass Effect. By then EA had also announced the amazing looking Fight Night Round 3 was coming to the 360, not just the PS3. EA was clearly all in on the 360 and the PS3.

What new games has EA announced are coming for the Wii U post launch? Anyone?

Bisnic

This honestly doesn't surprise me. I'm being very cautious with buying ports on launch simply because (A) developers don't have the time to optimize antiquated engines to run on new hardware (B) publishers don't want to throw away money because launch titles aren't exactly money makers and of course (C) it's EA.

When I'll buy Mass Effect, it'll be for on Steam $20.

Lol, it will be 20$ on Origin before it even shows up on Steam, if that day ever happen.

ozfunghi

Shareholders are not GAFers, they don't give a shit about this stuff as long as it sells

Sure, they're all morons with zero understanding of how a market works with zero interest in future endeavors and developments. Long term viability of a business model? Nah, they don't care. This has to be the most shortsighted comment i've read all day. And even then, this stuff WON'T sell, so either way, they'd care.

Portugeezer

FIFA on Wii U is lacking new gameplay features too, the Wii and Vita versions are copy and paste jobs. This is EA, so no surprises...

Bisnic

Mass Effect 3's not on Steam? D:

Then I'll just buy the Trilogy in physical form. That exists right? Right?!

Yes, i saw it yesterday while i was at Futureshop.(Canada store fyi).

I don't know about the Trilogy since i bought ME3 on launch day and already owned ME1 on Steam and ME2 as a physical standalone copy, but i assume it will still ask you to install Origin for the games to work. ME3 requires it at least, for the multiplayer.

Don't worry, Origin won't destroy your computer or whatever conspiracy EA haters will throw up.

Effect

I'm looking forward to word leaking of shareholders questioning EA again why they aren't having success on the Wii U when other companies are. I think they had to answer that before with the Wii. This time there is no excuse other then their own actions. This is why I say if you feel the need to support a publisher's game on the system just to send a message (which I think is a bad road to go down) let it be Ubisoft and Activision when it comes to western studios. That's my hope going forward. For those two to see success on the system with EA being the one on the outside having to explain things.

Maxrunner

FIFA on Wii U is lacking new gameplay features too, the Wii and Vita versions are copy and paste jobs. This is EA, so no surprises...

well i've played fifa 12 the other day on ps3 and it was good, i assume the wiiu version is that plus the pad stuff?

Maxrunner

I'm looking forward to word leaking of shareholders questioning EA again why they aren't having success on the Wii U when other companies are. I think they had to answer that before with the Wii. This time there is no excuse other then their own actions. This is why I say if you feel the need to support a publisher's game on the system just to send a message (which I think is a bad road to go down) let it be Ubisoft and Activision when it comes to western studios. That's my hope going forward. For those two to see success on the system with EA being the one on the outside having to explain things.

Any news on the port of call of duty Wii U hope it's not the same thing...

Effect

Any news on the port of call of duty Wii U hope it's not the same thing...

Shouldn't be. Treyarch has a lot of experience with Nintendo hardware as far back as the GameCube. They're own entries to Call of Duty on the Wii were done in house by them and they even ported the ones made by Infinity Ward (minus Modern Warfare 2) to the Wii. I have no concerns about Black Ops 2 on the Wii U.

This is a little revisionist. In the first place, even though the EA sports titles may have missed features, they were undoubtedly the best looking versions of the franchises ever released on consoles - they had a clear advantage over any other version yet released. And with the EA teaser / target trailer, Madden in the snow etc., it seemed clear at the time that EA was dedicated to doing awesome things on this new HD console. Has EA done anything like that with Wii U?

Also, don't just look at released games - consider announced games. Just looking at X05, which was a month before the 360 launched: Godfather, Battlefield, Burnout, Superman. Bioware, now owned by EA, had announced Mass Effect. By then EA had also announced the amazing looking Fight Night Round 3 was coming to the 360, not just the PS3. EA was clearly all in on the 360 and the PS3.

What new games has EA announced are coming for the Wii U post launch? Anyone?

A months-late port of NFS:MW and... uh...

As I've said before, all indications are that EA, as with several other major Western third parties, has prejudged Wii U's audience and concluded, rightly or wrongly, that there isn't a viable market for core gaming on the system. Don't expect much more than token support from them anytime soon, if ever.

StuBurns

Banned
ME2 and 3 were pretty poor on PS3 *BUT* they still ran better than ME1 did on 360. If ME1 somehow ran worse I would be stunned.
I didn't know ME2 had issues on PS3, I don't think that bodes well for ME1 really. But as you said, it would be stunning if it was worse than the 360 version.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Might as well collect the games in this thread so consumers can pick the ports without issues if they prefer.

Ninja Gaiden 3 also apparently has issues.

IGN said:
Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor’s Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the “jaggies” combining to create a muddy look that would’ve been called out seven years ago during the Xbox 360’s launch. Still, the framerate stays (mostly) smooth, which is crucial for a game like this. Plus, at this stage it’s nice – if admittedly a novelty – to be playing a Nintendo game in high-definition.

"- Muddy visuals, jaggies, occasional framerate stutters"
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-review

1UP said:
Early Wii U adopters can rest easy in that this iteration of Ninja Gaiden 3 can visually stand on equal footing with its other console siblings, at least until too many things start happening at once. The framerate noticeable stutters at times when the screen starts to bustle with activity -- an unfortunate circumstance that shows up especially whenever rocket-totting enemies appear. It's weird because sometimes you almost expect everything to chug, but it doesn't. A helicopter boss battle in the second chapter ran fine at times, but would suddenly slow down out of nowhere. It's difficult to pinpoint the cause of these slowdown issues, but they happen. The slower combat speed shows off a visually satisfying combat system, an unexpected outcome, for sure. I wonder if the results will inspire some ambitious YouTube producer to make slowdown videos of other visually stimulating video games.
Source: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9115465

Ydahs

Yes, i saw it yesterday while i was at Futureshop.(Canada store fyi).

I don't know about the Trilogy since i bought ME3 on launch day and already owned ME1 on Steam and ME2 as a physical standalone copy, but i assume it will still ask you to install Origin for the games to work. ME3 requires it at least, for the multiplayer.

Don't worry, Origin won't destroy your computer or whatever conspiracy EA haters will throw up.

Oh, it's not that I dislike Origin (I don't), it's just nice to have everything under one service since it's easier to manage.

shandy706

I'm not an EA defender, at all (I hate their monopoly on football), but I see people blaming them if this port isn't great. Why?

This is new hardware, a new (but experienced) studio, and they've been working on the port for quite a while..actually. I'd blame the new hardware/Nintendo (or no one in particular), not the developer that may be struggling BECAUSE of the hardware and it's setup/quality.

Remember, this is NOT the only 3rd party developer struggling to get performance AND the same/better graphics quality on the Wii U. If it were just one...I'd be more apt to criticize them...but it's not.

1st/2nd party may be the only thing you should get on the Wii U for a while...or possibly ever if it turns out like the Wii.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I dunno about NG3. The PS3 and 360 versions were also jaggy and had moments of slowdown so that's not altogether new.

More lazy ports. When will third parties unleash the power of Wii U?
I think the concern here is that, with more powerful hardware, even lazy ports should be on par if not superior to the 360 and PS3 versions. Developers shouldn't have to master the system in order to port a game from an older machine unless, of course, the WiiU simply doesn't have horsepower to spare.

NinjaBoiX

I didn't know ME2 had issues on PS3, I don't think that bodes well for ME1 really. But as you said, it would be stunning if it was worse than the 360 version.
Urgh, just finished my third run of ME1, and by the end, the frame rate wasn't just irritating, it was actually hurting my head. I'd literally just shut my eyes at some points, so my brain wasn't getting fried.

Great game, atrocious performance.

Top Bottom