• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Urgh, just finished my third run of ME1, and by the end, the frame rate wasn't just irritating, it was actually hurting my head. I'd literally just shut my eyes at some points, so my brain wasn't getting fried.

Great game, atrocious performance.
I still thought the performance was more acceptable than KOTOR 1 or 2 on XBOX. Those were a goddamn mess.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Oh, it's not that I dislike Origin (I don't), it's just nice to have everything under one service since it's easier to manage.

Yeah... if I wanna buy digital games, i just take Steam since its more convenient to have everthing in the same place.

Just use Origin like I do... only to play Mass Effect/Battlefield and add people in your friend list for multiplayer.

But you won't regret it, it's still better than playing it on consoles if your PC is decent. ME1 wont be a technical mess and the framerates in all 3 games will be great. Too bad you'll be forced to use the mouse and keyboard. But I still think its better than a gamepad for faster and easier aiming and quick access to 8 powers with key shortcuts.

Valnen

I think the concern here is that, with more powerful hardware, even lazy ports should be on par if not superior to the 360 and PS3 versions. Developers shouldn't have to master the system in order to port a game from an older machine unless, of course, the WiiU simply doesn't have horsepower to spare.

If it doesn't have the horsepower to spare, we're in trouble when the PS4 and 720 come out. The Wii U NEEDS to be able to handle ports from those systems, and they need to at least look almost as good or Nintendo's not going to have any third party support again.

This is a little revisionist. In the first place, even though the EA sports titles may have missed features, they were undoubtedly the best looking versions of the franchises ever released on consoles - they had a clear advantage over any other version yet released. And with the EA teaser / target trailer, Madden in the snow etc., it seemed clear at the time that EA was dedicated to doing awesome things on this new HD console. Has EA done anything like that with Wii U?

Also, don't just look at released games - consider announced games. Just looking at X05, which was a month before the 360 launched: Godfather, Battlefield, Burnout, Superman. Bioware, now owned by EA, had announced Mass Effect. By then EA had also announced the amazing looking Fight Night Round 3 was coming to the 360, not just the PS3. EA was clearly all in on the 360 and the PS3.

What new games has EA announced are coming for the Wii U post launch? Anyone?

there are clear advantages over the 360 and PS3 versions in terms of what they've done with the touch screen, and I believe graphics are reportedly slightly better on Fifa, dunno about Madden.

I don't think it was any clearer back in 05. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL_06#Xbox_360_version

You've identified a better reason to be worried than looking at the launch games, but you've also listed a bunch of multiplats that I'm sure Wii U will see a lot of similar titles. it's getting the sports games. Rumors saying it's getting Criterions racer late (just like the 360 did). Superman? Giant piece of shit.

Mass Effect is the only one that stands out in your list and... oh hang on... it was published by Microsoft.

dark10x

what next Call of Duty? AC3?
Yeah, I have a bad feeling here.

BLOPS2 is pretty lousy on PS3 and even the 360 version still uses an obscenely low resolution. It seems possible that the WiiU version could actually wind up looking worse.

AC3 is a mess on current consoles as well so that really doesn't bode well for the WiiU port. Looks like I'll just buy it on the PC.

Hiltz

Never trust launch ports.

True words right here. It's not a very good excuse, but the quality of launch port in particular, are usually inferior due to a number of factors like generally shorter development time, outsourcing development can be a potential risk, and the challenge of porting code of a current-gen game to unoptimized next-gen hardware (probably worse if a dev chooses to use Ps3 version over Xbox 360). Straight Up said that working with Wii U was "very manageable," but it appears they didn't have what it takes to do it justice given the resources and time frame they had to work under. Even ports like Madden 13 while impressive for a 6 month job, are not fully-featured duet o the lack of the new physics engine. I think Black Ops 2 is also missing some content, but that may have to do more with Nintendo than Activision. Hopefully, Darksiders 2, AS3, and Aliens: Colonial Marines will turn out to be of better quality since these guys were among the first to get dev kits. While Team Ninja was likely one of the first Japanese devs to receive a dev kit, we all knew how messed up Ninja Gaiden 3 was from the start.

Sid

That doesn't excuse game running poorly. They shouldn't have added those things if they couldn't have the game handle it.

EA is not involved in NG3...
Exactly.

If it doesn't have the horsepower to spare, we're in trouble when the PS4 and 720 come out. The Wii U NEEDS to be able to handle ports from those systems, and they need to at least look almost as good or Nintendo's not going to have any third party support again.
Eh i'm not too sure about that.

dark10x

True words right here. It's not a very good excuse, but the quality of launch games is usually inferior due to a number of factors like shorter development time, challenge of porting code of a current-gen game to unoptimized next-gen hardware. Straight Up said that working with Wii U was "very manageable" but it appears they didn't have what it takes to do it justice given the resources and time frame they had to work under.

Even ports like Madden 13 while impressive for a 6 month port, are not fully-featured due o the lack of the new physics engine. I think Black Ops 2 is also missing some content, but that may have to do more with Nintendo than Activision.
I dunno, the PS Vita had some incredible ports out of the gate.

Virtua Tennis 4 was a near perfect match for the HD console versions and offered more features. 60 fps + native resolution

Marvel vs Capcom 3 was extremely close to the console versions and ran at 60 fps at native resolution.

Rayman Origins, again, was perfect and also ran at 60 fps + native resolution

BlazBlue? Perfect

Ninja Gaiden Sigma? Not perfect, as the framerate was cut down to 30 fps, but it was still a solid version of the game

If the Vita, which is definitely less powerful than the consoles, could be launched with such solid ports I'm disappointed that the same could not be true with WiiU. Sure, the games in question are more complex but the WiiU is actually more powerful hardware so it shouldn't be an issue.

Aw Ninja Gaiden too, funny that a port machine can't run those ports as good as other consoles.

no, see, you don't know that. Ninja Gaiden 3 has those same listed issues on other platforms. until someone does a proper framerate analysis, I don't think we can say it runs WORSE.

NG3 has technical issues on Wii U, and on 360 and PS3.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Might as well collect the games in this thread so consumers can pick the ports without issues if they prefer.

Ninja Gaiden 3 also apparently has issues.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-review

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9115465

Now that interesting since Nintendo have a hand on NG development,I think we should not blame EA for the quality of the ME port now, since Nintendo with Tecmo didn't deliver too.

maybe Wii U is a PS3 like situation when it's very hard to port for, I remember when THQ said -on the lack of port fo-r Metro: Last Light for Wii U that they "wanted to focus on what they knew".

Yeah, I have a bad feeling here.

BLOPS2 is pretty lousy on PS3 and even the 360 version still uses an obscenely low resolution. It seems possible that the WiiU version could actually wind up looking worse.

AC3 is a mess on current consoles as well so that really doesn't bode well for the WiiU port. Looks like I'll just buy it on the PC.

not a good sign but I am still owning all 4 of these games...

well Ninja Gaiden is still one female playable character away from sold. It now has two so it should still be fun.

Just have to go into these games not expecting smooth performance and killer graphics

QaaQer

I think the digitial foundry summary of the e3 games can shed insight into this port:

Reports continue to emerge from sources suggesting that Wii U is significantly more powerful than the current batch of titles may lead us to believe - the obvious inference being that these games have been created on incomplete hardware, perhaps with development tools that are still evolving, by studios unfamiliar with the hardware....

However, to survive the upcoming transition from the current HD consoles to their enormously improved successors, Wii U needs enough grunt to at least part-way bridge the generational gap - and there was scant evidence at E3 that the raw power required to do this was on tap. If it is a matter of getting to know the hardware and coaxing out maximum performance, the question is whether the third parties are prepared to invest the required time and effort. Looking back, it took a long, long time for the average standard of PS3 multi-platform titles to match what was being achieved on Xbox 360 and some might argue that Wii U doesn't have the luxury of time on its side.

In the medium term we should expect to see a new range of "cross-gen" titles come to market - the likes of the Unreal Engine 3-powered Star Wars 1313 and Ubisoft's spectacular Watch Dogs are likely to be amongst their number. These titles are almost certain to arrive on the existing HD consoles, but Wii U versions for these and many other key 2013 titles remain unannounced and there was a palpable lack of more current games in the launch line-up.

In fairness, this is almost certainly down to commercial considerations rather than technical ones: in economically uncertain times, should publishers commit significant resources to an unproven format? Will a Wii U game without exceptional second-screen support perform well? Our biggest concern about third-party support is that, even if the numbers eventually stack up, by the time the installed base is there, development on current-gen hardware may well be winding down. Factor in a first-party line-up that shows some promise in terms of innovative concepts, but lacks true next-gen Mario and Zelda titles that truly show what this hardware is capable of, and it's safe to say that Nintendo has it all to prove in the coming months.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-wiiu-e3-2012

Nintendo did not prove anything in the months following e3. There is no showcase 3d game on the wii u.

If Nintendo knew they weren't going to have a really nice 3d game for release that they could use to sell the system, they should have devoted some resources to one of the ports from another company so that people could look at a Batman or ME3 and go, "wow, that look so much nicer and so smooth." So people aren't left wondering.

My theory is that when the wii and the ds became so successful based largely on their gimmicks, Nintendo decided that their next handheld and next console needed gimmicks too. & I believe that the 3D part of the 3DS actually hurt sales because nobody was asking for a 3d handheld, and having 3d increased the price necessarily.

Likewise, the the tablet will hurt sales of the wii u because they couldn't use those resources to make a better console. Just how many people are going to spend $300/$350 on a new system that could only give ps360 quality games just because it has a novelty controller? I'm not saying that is the case, but if it is...

So is it EA's fault? or the Australian porting company? Maybe, but I wouldn't be so quick to let Ninty off the hook here.

Xav

When it comes to 3rd party developers on Nintendo platforms these days I don't expect much, to them it's just another SKU to make a quick buck. I'm holding out for whatever Nintendo EAD Tokyo & Retro Studios are doing, I'm expecting those two to put out some amazing looking titles that will blow everyone away. Ninja Gaiden III looks a lot better than the shit they pumped out earlier in the year but those jaggies just kill my interest, looks awfully distracting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
what next Call of Duty?

I was discussing this with Nirolak, but in the case of Call of Duty it's really worth noting this: Black Ops is the best selling PS3 game of all time. Call of Duty is a massive franchise. And despite this, Black Ops 2 PS3 has both rendering and framerate problems compared to the 360 build.

Now lets see how the Wii U version, a platform with new hardware and a relatively much, much smaller install base, shapes up.

Tagg9

Is it just me or do those NG3 reviews conflict with one another? IGN says textures and detail are off, but the framerate is good. The other review says the framerate is awful but everything else is fine.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I was discussing this with Nirolak, but in the case of Call of Duty it's really worth noting this: Black Ops is the best selling PS3 game of all time. Call of Duty is a massive franchise. And despite this, Black Ops 2 has both rendering and framerate problems compared to the 360 build.

Now lets see how the Wii U version, a platform with new hardware and a relatively much, much smaller install base, shapes up.

The Wii ports were pretty competent though, were they not?

KageMaru

lol @ this thread. I don't understand how people can be so bitter. Regardless if you consider the Wii-U a next gen system or not, you have to admit that it does not offer the typical next gen leap in performance. Keeping this in mind, these types of issues aren't unexpected. Durante has been spot on with his posts here and of course some overly defensive people have to jump on him over it.

Nintendo took a dump in EA's cheerios somewhere along the line. I doubt EA will ever get serious about Wii U support.

Didn't you say before that we should only expect so much from early titles since a new console was introduced so late? Wouldn't that apply here?

I go into Nintendo hardware like I do meeting new people.

They are trying to murder and/or rape me.

If they don't I'm pleasantly surprised.

Or mildly disappointed depending on the person or situation.

lol this cracked me up. Thank you good sir. =)

Effect

Is it just me or do those NG3 reviews conflict with one another? IGN says textures and detail are off, but the framerate is good. The other review says the framerate is awful but everything else is fine.

They do. IGN's review even with it's positive score doesn't even mention at all the extra features added to the game. So really I'm not putting much stock in the reviews.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Wii ports were pretty competent though, were they not?

Sure, they were 'competent', but they were hardly flawless in framerate and naturally had assets scaled down significantly just to get the games to run. I don't really feel they're a fair comparison as the hardware was always marked as much, much weaker and the games were always going to suffer.

On the other hand, the Wii U is certainly capable of Black Ops 2 the way people expect to play it on a current generation system like the Xbox 360.

Durante

They do. IGN's review even with it's positive score doesn't even mention at all the extra features added to the game. So really I'm not putting much stock in the reviews.
Yeah, word-of-mouth impressions, even by "professional" reviewers, don't really have a good track record. We'll only have a solid understanding when someone does a detailed analysis.

Ridley327

Hmm, I dunno about NG3. The PS3 and 360 versions were also jaggy and had moments of slowdown so that's not altogether new.

I've only played the demo, and that was really erratic in the framerate department. It seems weird to single out the Wii U version when, in all likelihood, Team Ninja just isn't very good at making Ninja Gaiden 3 on any platform.

They wouldn't spend money, but if they already agreed to release ME3 on Wii U, they could choose to underfund the project.

I don't believe that EA is "punishing" Nintendo, but I do think something went down and they cooled on the platform. Hence, they pulled back to only the bare minimal support for a platform until they decide whether to refocus on it (if their shit ports sell really well), or cut bait.

EA's launch Window games have been almost universally trash ever since the end of the PS2/Xbox/GCN generation, with the odd exception of Burnout Revenge on 360 and FIFA Vita. They usually need at least a year to transition fully to a new platform.

Virtua Tennis 4 was a near perfect match for the HD console versions and offered more features. 60 fps + native resolution

Marvel vs Capcom 3 was extremely close to the console versions and ran at 60 fps at native resolution.

BlazBlue? Perfect

Ninja Gaiden Sigma? Not perfect, as the framerate was cut down to 30 fps, but it was still a solid version of the game

If the Vita, which is definitely less powerful than the consoles, could be launched with such solid ports I'm disappointed that the same could not be true with WiiU. Sure, the games in question are more complex but the WiiU is actually more powerful hardware so it shouldn't be an issue.

glancing over the titles on Wii U, I am confident to say the following about the following:

Trine 2 - Looks as good as it did on PS3 and 360 and according to the developer the Wii U version copes just fine with the PC DLC which the PS3 and 360 versions lacked the performance to handle.

Rayman Legends - Is doing more on screen than Origins, and is using more 3D geometry at the same time. Obviously, it is not a taxing game... but it still looks better than Origins did without sacrificing performance or resolution.

FIFA 13 - Is missing some gameplay features but has received a slight graphical boost.

In other words, it's not all bad news, and there are some reasons to be optimistic. If it turns out that NG3 doesn't run any worse than the other versions I won't be surprised at all.

Ydahs

It has the architecture to handle next generation games since next generation engines will be developed with scalability in mind.

It's not a Wii-PS360 situation where the Wii GPU and CPU were incredibly outdated in terms of both architecture and horsepower. Even if the horsepower was only comparable to the PS3 and 360, it'll still be able to do things not possible on those consoles simply because it has modern hardware capable of performing tasks natively that weren't as easily implementable on older hardware.

It won't have all the flashy shaders and effects found on the PS4 and 720, but it'll still be able to handle ports as long as the engines can scale back far enough.

Hiltz

BlazBlue? Perfect

Well, there's always exceptions and it looks like Vita was one of the lucky platforms. Capcom said it ported Street Fighter IV to 3DS in like 8 months if I remember correctly. Some devs manage to do ports better than others, but it obviously depends on the circumstances of each project, design of the hardware, and how supportive the console manufacturer is. Funny enough, Nintendo said it gave out dev kits earlier than usual, but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. Who knows, the Xbox 720 and PS4 could get competent launch ports of Wii U games!

lol @ this thread. I don't understand how people can be so bitter. Regardless if you consider the Wii-U a next gen system or not, you have to admit that it does not offer the typical next gen leap in performance.

I'm just hoping we have a year of console parity across all 3 platforms. At least until PS4/Nextbox come out and dust the Wii U in specs. But I agree this isn't unexpected. I imagine most of these launch games were developed on incomplete dev boxes.

Rootbeer

Banned
I had no interest in either of those games on Wii U... but it is definitely setting things off to a bad start. If it has EA's name on it I'm forced to wait for reviews and research more before I buy anything. You have only yourself to blame, EA.

Pooya

Any Assassin's Creed 3 impressions? that game already is falling apart on ps360, I don't think a launch port of that game would be any better.

dark10x

I've only played the demo, and that was really erratic in the framerate department. It seems weird to single out the Wii U version when, in all likelihood, Team Ninja just isn't very good at making Ninja Gaiden 3 on any platform.
Well, the game actually ran better than NG2 did and was mostly stable...but there were definitely bits of slowdown. How bad the slowdown is in the Wii version remains to be seen.

BlankaBR

Banned
Does anybody know Reggie's address?? Lets camp in front of his house with torches and demand better ports and maybe, free cookies

Ridley327

Well, the game actually ran better than NG2 did and was mostly stable...but there were definitely bits of slowdown. How bad the slowdown is in the Wii version remains to be seen.

I don't doubt it does, since the general consensus was that NG2 was pushed out the door too soon, especially with those nasty DLC problems it ran into, but it's still a long way away from the days of NG1 and Black. Still, the frequency is what's important, and if the additional on-screen carnage is causing the game to stall more than it did before, Team Ninja probably should have pared it down so it would be less of an issue. Provided, of course, that the frequency of the lower framerates is the biggest issue with the Wii U version.

Didn't Team Ninja kinda solve the NG2 slowdown in Sigma 2 by, well, removing a lot of stuff?

Hiltz

Any Assassin's Creed 3 impressions? that game already is falling apart on ps360, I don't think a launch port of that game would be any better.

I recall some complaints about the naval battles in the Wii U version. Some game writer said it wasn't a good idea to use the GamePad's screen to look down at while in the middle of the doing the naval battles because it isn't very practical.

Sid

It has the architecture to handle next generation games since next generation engines will be developed with scalability in mind.

It's not a Wii-PS360 situation where the Wii GPU and CPU were incredibly outdated in terms of both architecture and horsepower. Even if the horsepower was only comparable to the PS3 and 360, it'll still be able to do things not possible on those consoles simply because it has modern hardware capable of performing tasks natively that weren't as easily implementable on older hardware.

It won't have all the flashy shaders and effects found on the PS4 and 720, but it'll still be able to handle ports as long as the engines can scale back far enough.
Unreal 3 is scalable.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
If we're on our way to call shit games out,

Sonic All Stars Racing - or whatever it is called

ran like shit when i played it at a demo station. Framerate dipped below 20fps at times. Absolutely shit and no fun at all. Sometimes it felt sub 15fps.

Top Bottom