• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2017 (Apr 24 - Apr 30)

Seriously worried they won't be able to stock properly for Splatoon 2.

If I were Nintendo (don't worry, I'm not) I would be much more concerned with getting adequate stock to Japan for Splatoon 2 than MK8D. Mario Kart has a much greater global appeal and Splatoon has a much greater Japanese appeal, so it makes some sense that they'd spread out the shipments for each to correspond to that appeal.

Meaning, I expect far less stock in the west for the Splatoon 2 launch than there was for the MK8D launch.

Eolz

Hopefully we won't have to wait a long time for more Switch support announcements from japanese publishers. I'm hopeful for E3, but it feels that TGS might already start to be too late for some reveals.

Cerium

Hopefully we won't have to wait a long time for more Switch support announcements from japanese publishers. I'm hopeful for E3, but it feels that TGS might already start to be too late for some reveals.

I think we'll start seeing some big announcements at E3.

Their upcoming announced titles are:
- Flame X Blaze: This is a mobile MOBA.
- SINoALICE: This is a relatively traditional looking mobile JRPG, but with high end production values and helmed/written by Yoko Taro.
- A new Million Arthur game by Netease, presumably targeting the Chinese market?
- ...I think that's it at the moment.

Adding a bit more info to this: Flame X Blaze was released a while ago, and as expected... it's not doing well (probably missed the release since it didn't even chart).

http://senpaigamer.com/flame-x-blaz...-smartphone-game-release-on-april-12-10042017

There's also a new FF Explorers game coming plus this Madoka-like RPG from their Business Division 10 team (the same one who did Million Arthur):

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/mashirocchi/

Almost forgot about Kimikiri too: http://www.kimikiri.jp/regist/

More info about this last one: http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/2...martphone-game-geared-towards-girls-kimikiri/

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I feel like Nintendo reliable during the 3DS gen will start making some announcement now that device seems o be doing well and not a major bomb thus not too risky to invest in. Vita bound devs will probably stick with the vita until it dies and either move on afterwards or try to establish the shortfall else/hope the PS4 grows enough of a user base.

Frankly there's a massive amount of software that skipped out on the 3DS despite being by far the market leader and attractive attach rates. At this moment if Nintendo truly wants this thing to do well, they should be cutting deals with as many publishers large and small to secure support. They're in the strongest bargaining position they've been in a long time since he Vita has no success in sight and PS4's relative software weakness for smaller titles.

They may not be able to get western support but they can definitely consolidate the vast majority of Japanese support if they push heavily for it currently.

ZOONAMI

Who the fuck is building the switches? Foxconn?

Are there Tegra shortages or something?

You'd think they would be able to have a massive restock by now.

I wonder if switch might actually give vita a bit more life, could see some devs doing switch/vita multiplats, then again i expected a tonne of psp/wii multiplats and that never really happened

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I wonder if switch might actually give vita a bit more life, could see some devs doing switch/vita multiplats, then again i expected a tonne of psp/wii multiplats and that never really happened

You got your answer right there.

Heck, there could have been a bunch of 3DS/Switch cross generational releases and even those never really panned out.

Celine

Switch has a key difference with Wii, DS and 3DS.
With those platform Nintendo consciously wanted third-parties to target exclusively them with their unique features and by not supporting popular middleware solutions available at the time.
With Switch it was made known that it supported Unreal 4 and Unity from the very beginning.

When it's software sales are non-existent/not worthwhile for publishers, which may take a long time.
I doubt it will take a long time.

Ōkami

C-8KVcBXsAAgsAW.jpg
Second month is the latest 4 weeks.

Switch will start outperforming the Wii U next week, from then on there's no point on comparing the two, unless some dissaster happens they'll never be close again, PSP vs Switch is the one to look forward too.

Its worth noting time and time again that Wii U had a strong launch and then flatlined.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Switch has a key difference with Wii, DS and 3DS.
With those platform Nintendo consciously wanted third-parties to target exclusively them with their unique features and by not supporting popular middleware solutions available at the time.
With Switch it was made known that it supported Unreal 4 and Unity from the very beginning.

I doubt it will take a long time.

Depends we're dealing with small volumes to begin with and niche fanbases. Hardely the maintstream.

Also Jesus Christ at Splatoon's Comgnet it's literally gunning for the total preorders for DQXI on the 3DS and PS4 combined and it's not even that far off (like only 60ish points currently). No way they get that much stock.

The attach rate for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is very solid, and the Switch itself got a decent boost.

Otherwise, the hardware and software results are generally unimpressive.

Vena

I give it until next year.

It'll be dead by year's end. Though I question why we can't already start planning the post mortem.

Aside: Your new avatar causes me to pause every once in a while, I got so used to your old avatar!

Sandfox

It'll be dead by year's end. Though I question why we can't already start planning the post mortem.

Aside: Your new avatar causes me to pause every once in a while, I got so used to your old avatar!
I had it since the day XY was announced.

I'm sure companies are already planning to move on. KT and Gust are seemingly going to be big on the platform and the Vita versions of games will eventually become superior Switch version like we saw with Disgaea. If the Switch were to get a price drop next year then...

One thing I'm interested in seeing is if the Tales series goes multplat because we might be getting a Switch announcement for that series really soon.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I had it since the day XY was announced.

I'm sure companies are already planning to move on. KT and Gust are seemingly going to be big on the platform and the Vita versions of games will eventually become superior Switch version like we saw with Disgaea. If the Switch were to get a price drop next year then...

Maybe it's just me on mobile but your avatar seems to have a 3D effect. Reds clearly in the front, blues in the back.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Some of y'all are counting these chickens before they've hatched. I think there's probably at least another year after this one before the vita's dead. Keep in mind support won't suddenly stop and the vita has always dealt with small software volumes and there's no successor for the more enthuasist audience to move on to.

KtSlime

Some of y'all are counting these chickens before they've hatched. I think there's probably at least another year after this one before the vita's dead. Keep in mind support won't suddenly stop and the vita has always dealt with small software volumes and there's no successor for the more enthuasist audience to move on to.

It's on it's deathbed. There are many used floating around now, and after the Switch launched the price at places like book off dropped about 4000¥. I can see it still get soft for a while though, Vita has been a good 'eh, sure why not' platform when it comes to releases.

goldage

Banned
its down 3x weekly yoy

its buried by the end of the year my man

it might get software now and then but it won't do anything for the hardware itself

goldage

Banned
Vita means life though, you'll still be seeing releases next year. That's for sure and maybe the year after depending on how badly they cling though that's more unlikely.
it depends how well switch supports the niche vita software

but since switch is selling well, by the time third parties switch over, i dont see why they'll go back to vita for better or for worse

i dont see anything stopping the switch from carrying on the vita legacy other than third parties sheer reluctance to even try

Fularu

Banned
When Falcom moves on from your hardware, you know it's over.

Ōkami

Best selling games of the year so far (Jan 2 - Apr 30)

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 1.544.724
02. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 393.726
03. [3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon - 364.248
04. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard - 307.170*
05. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 280.229
06. [PS4] Nier: Automata - 279.395
07. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 268.780
08. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 186.925
09. [SWI] 1 2 Switch - 181.641
10. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue - 176.581*

*data not up to date.

Famitsu retail + digital, all rereleases combined, best selling games per platform, April 2017 update.

Nintendo 3DS

01. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 4.835.299
02. Pokémon X / Y - 4.557.957
03. Monster Hunter 4 - 3.862.413
04. Pokémon Sun / Moon - 3.839.431
05. Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits / Fleshy Souls - 3.257.917
06. Pokémon OmegaRuby / AlphaSapphire - 3.198.167
07. Monster Hunter Generations - 3.120.442
08. Mario Kart 7 - 2.709.124
09. Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters - 2.699.208
10. Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate - 2.693.561

Nintendo Switch

01. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 427.226
02. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 280.299
03. 1 2 Switch - 187.458
04. Super Bomberman R - 84.293
05. Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together! - 57.952
06. Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch - 49.749
07. Puyo Puyo Tetris - 32.703
08. Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker - 8.028
09. Disgaea 5 Complete - 5.065
10. I am Setsuna - 4.625

PlayStation 4

01. Final Fantasy XV - 1.067.493
02. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 503.748
03. Grand Theft Auto V - 477.774
04. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 471.285
05. Dark Souls III - 439.602
06. Persona 5 - 411.857
07. Knack - 401.579
08. Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 392.977
09. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - 361.074
10. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - 360.698

PlayStation Vita

01. Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition -1.325.772
02. God Eater 2 - 427.863
03. God Eater 2.: Rage Burst - 366.628
04. Persona 4: Golden - 345.377
05. Freedom Wars - 336.146
06. Dragon Quest Builders - 327.389
07. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster - 304.055
08. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 274.703
09. Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster - 272.026
10. Toukiden: The Age of Demons - 248.923

Wii U

01. Splatoon - 1.632.495
02. Mario Kart 8 - 1.322.004
03. New Super Mario Bros. U - 1.260.178
04. Super Mario Maker - 1.061.156
05. Wii Party U - 831.292
06. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 789.947
07. Super Mario 3D World - 613.693
08. Minecraft: Wii U Edition - 494.383
09. Nintendo Land - 400.704
10. Pikmin 3 - 232.313

ggx2ac

Ōkami;235646134 said:
C-8KVcBXsAAgsAW.jpg

Second month is the latest 4 weeks.

Switch will start outperforming the Wii U next week, from then on there's no point on comparing the two, unless some dissaster happens they'll never be close again, PSP vs Switch is the one to look forward too.

Its worth noting time and time again that Wii U had a strong launch and then flatlined.

C-8Ke1vXYAIMtpj.jpg

C-8KoJ8XUAkbjXV.jpg

Just a little feedback. I find the line graphs have too much data being displayed.

I'd rather that much data be put into a table or something​.

The comparison between 11 different consoles make me question what the graph is for, if it's just comparing the Switch's performance to other consoles, then the point gets lost when it has to be compared to 10 other consoles rather than a smaller amount.

If it's for a historical comparison, a table would still work or, for the first 9 weeks second graph, get the sum total of those 9 weeks for each console and put it in a bar graph?

Edit: To add to that, the week on week comparison wouldn't really explain much right? If it's all launch aligned, then it doesn't explain everything since we've had consoles launch either at February, March, September, etc.

Those weekly sales would be affected by seasonal periods for retail but it's not really explained in the graph so a casual onlooker wouldn't really notice.

Ōkami;235652677 said:

*data not up to date.

Famitsu retail + digital, all rereleases combined, best selling games per platform, April 2017 update.

I wonder what that chart will look like at the end of the year

Passose

Banned
I feel like Nintendo reliable during the 3DS gen will start making some announcement now that device seems o be doing well and not a major bomb thus not too risky to invest in. Vita bound devs will probably stick with the vita until it dies and either move on afterwards or try to establish the shortfall else/hope the PS4 grows enough of a user base.

Frankly there's a massive amount of software that skipped out on the 3DS despite being by far the market leader and attractive attach rates. At this moment if Nintendo truly wants this thing to do well, they should be cutting deals with as many publishers large and small to secure support. They're in the strongest bargaining position they've been in a long time since he Vita has no success in sight and PS4's relative software weakness for smaller titles.

They may not be able to get western support but they can definitely consolidate the vast majority of Japanese support if they push heavily for it currently.
But why sticking with a dying console,btw?

casiopao

The Switch number is a bit lackluster.T_T I know that it is still having stock problemo but, i though Ninty would actually at least able to hit that 100k mark for this huge release. But it seems that Ninty put Western market on more focus vs Japan right now.T_T

Seeing this, i wonder if NInty is going to be able to increase Switch number when ARMS or Splat 2 drop there as missing that moment is going to be criminal miss of chance.

ggx2ac

The Switch number is a bit lackluster.T_T I know that it is still having stock problemo but, i though Ninty would actually at least able to hit that 100k mark for this huge release. But it seems that Ninty put Western market on more focus vs Japan right now.T_T

Seeing this, i wonder if NInty is going to be able to increase Switch number when ARMS or Splat 2 drop there as missing that moment is going to be criminal miss of chance.

The only reason it makes sense is because of the lack of competition in Japan.

Nintendo have to deal competing with PS4 and Xbox in Europe and NA, so prioritising more shipments to those regions make sense especially with the news before of how they shipped Switch shipments by air to US and Europe at launch.

Gaspard

Ōkami;235652677 said:

*data not up to date.

Woo come July Splatoon is gonna round out that Nintendo Top 5