• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2013 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

I suspect this years things will end up 3DS > Wii U > PS4 > the rest; Wii U is selling too much for having literally 'nothing' being released on the system recently.

Wut. Its baseline is the same as the PSV's no (pre price cut)? Around there iirc.
It will be interesting seeing how Pikmin does next week in terms of hardware. 50k seem viable?
PS4 isn't coming out in Japan this year D:

Says who?

Even with Vita failing I don't think Sony will leave the handheld market. They won't leave it all to Nintendo.

That would be insane. Unless it's ridiculously cheap to manufacture, I can't envision Sony designing and launching an entire new dedicated platform just in the hopes of possibly reaching Vita's current level of sales.

Wut. Its baseline is the same as the PSV's no (pre price cut)? Around there iirc.
It will be interesting seeing how Pikmin does next week in terms of hardware. 50k seem viable?

Says who?

Nvm, thought I remembered them saying that it would only be EU and NA this holiday season.

L Thammy

Shouldn't we have Famitsu numbers by now?

Ah, earlier I mentioned One Piece: Unlimited World Red as the first MH clone being released on 3DS.
It seems we know when it's coming indeed

- November 21st, 2013
- 5,980 Yen
- Luffy gum-gum actions let him reach new areas
- Ingredients/materials will be used to develop and grow a town
- Free DLC for preorders (Luffy SW costume, playable Ace)

Do we have actual word or footage showing that it's a hunting game? "Luffy gum-gum actions let him reach new areas" makes it sound like it's still an adventure game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Shouldn't we have Famitsu numbers by now?

Do we have actual word or footage showing that it's a hunting game? "Luffy gum-gum actions let him reach new areas" makes it sound like it's still an adventure game.

We already had a trailer, and other infos: it has four players co-op.

Metal Max 4 for 3DS is coming on November, 7th. 6,980 Regular / 9,980 Limited

ASIS

Holy... I did not expect Pikmin 3 to release in just 3 days! Hype! (I won't play it until september, but still! Hype!)

L Thammy

We already had a trailer, and other infos: it has four players co-op.

Metal Max 4 for 3DS is coming on November, 7th. 6,980 Regular / 9,980 Limited

You mean this trailer? Seems like Unlimited Cruise with coop, aside from that dragon boss. It could just be trying to add in MonHun-like appeal to that crowd.

EDIT: Not trying to pick on you or anything. Siliconera made that same claim and I thought it was fishy.

Even with Vita failing I don't think Sony will leave the handheld market. They won't leave it all to Nintendo.

This has come up before. Is there an actual advantage to doing this? I don't think multinational corporations are motivated by hurt feelings.

guek

Banned
That would be insane. Unless it's ridiculously cheap to manufacture, I can't envision Sony designing and launching an entire new dedicated platform just in the hopes of possibly reaching Vita's current level of sales.

I suspect it depends more on other factors. If we saw a PS3-level stall right out of the gate for the PS4, I don't think they'd prioritize handhelds anytime soon. But Sony is on the up and up, if the PS4 launches strong and they start raking in the money, why wouldn't they continue to try to capitalize on a market nintendo is monopolizing?

Let's look at the big picture instead of weak Summer weeks. They are pushing for 5M in 2013, which is not a bad result at all.

35l.jpg

I think it'll likely push another 5m this year. 2012 was already a big year but it was really nothing compared to the 2006/7 beastly DS years. I mean even the DS took a dramatic downturn after those years. These are unrealistic goals to match the 3DS to.

I suspect it depends more on other factors. If we saw a PS3-level stall right out of the gate for the PS4, I don't think they'd prioritize handhelds anytime soon. But Sony is on the up and up, if the PS4 launches strong and they start raking in the money, why wouldn't they continue to try to capitalize on a market nintendo is monopolizing?

Because I don't see any viable path for them to reach a significantly better level of sales than what Vita is doing now, even in Japan.

meppi

Holy shit EDF! Was not suspecting that at all, even if I did my part. :)
Great to see such an incredible series get this kind of support.

I truly hope they get to make Zangeki no Reginleiv 2 for the Wii U one day since it's a Nintendo ip. Very doubtful though even though I'd buy a Japanese Wii U just for it.
Or otherwise a similar game for the PS4 that uses the Move controller.

guek

Banned
Because I don't see any viable path for them to reach a significantly better level of sales than what Vita is doing now, even in Japan.

Money can buy a lot of things :p

In any case, if Nintendo can do it, Sony can do it. They don't need pokemon and mario to have a successful handheld, just look at the PSP. While the PSP's good fortune was mixed and had a huge luck factor, I do think it can still be replicated.

L Thammy

Money can buy a lot of things :p

In any case, if Nintendo can do it, Sony can do it. They don't need pokemon and mario to have a successful handheld, just look at the PSP. While the PSP's good fortune was mixed and had a huge luck factor, I do think it can still be replicated.

The handheld market was able to support both DS and PSP to succeed greatly, and one of the reasons for the PSP's success may have been the DS' inability to handle PS2-level 3D games.

So, let's fast-forward to 2017 or so. Sony's considering releasing a new handheld. Do they expect the situation to still allow these things?

The handheld market was able to support both DS and PSP to succeed greatly, and one of the reasons for the PSP's success may have been the DS' inability to handle PS2-level 3D games.

So, let's fast-forward to 2017 or so. Sony's considering releasing a new handheld. Do they expect the situation to still allow these things?

It's already a good deal less favorable for PS2-style games on handhelds than it was during the PSP era, if SE's and KojiPro's 3DS/Vita support is any indicaation.

Pokemon will move systems but I can't see it doing anything the more than the Marios could.

Pokemon will move 4 million copies at the minimum. Mon Hun 4 may well do numbers in the same ballpark.

Why would these not do more for the system than a few titles hovering around the 2 million mark?
Remind me is prediction that Sony will discontinue Vita in early 2014 still actual ?

That didn't seem an overly unreasonable hypothesis at the time it was made.

Why, do you see a way that Sony's next handheld can leave Vita in the dust?

test_account

XP-39C²
How many years in a row did Sony lose money on their TV business? 5-6 years or something? Sony are still in the TV business despite of this. I'm pretty sure they will be in business in whatever field as long as they believe there is money to be made there in long term.

guek

Banned

Why would they still target PS2-level games? The next DS certainly wont.

There's a lot of things Sony could try to get back into the handheld game. Just because their current strategy failed doesn't mean all avenues are closed. By 2017, mobile tech will be so much more mature, they'll have a lot of options to choose from. Of course, Nintendo could still stomp them again but Sony has no control over that.

I guess the question is why Nintendo can succeed but Sony can't. I don't think mario and pokemon are the answers.

I said "dedicated" gaming handheld. I never ruled out a hybrid gaming system. I think cellphone/handheld hybrid will be the next logical approach for Sony. Maybe they can finally find some success here unlike the dreadful N-Gage.

Personally, i'd rather have them stick to dedicated handhelds instead of abandoning it completely. Competition is good for consumers like us.

I guess the question is why Nintendo can succeed but Sony can't. I don't think mario and pokemon are the answers.

On the contrary, I think the presence of software the market finds desirable is precisely the answer.

We saw similar to this with Mon Hun propelling the PSP to success. Sony first party simply doesn't put out the kind of software that inspires to buy handhelds in droves.

Biker19

Banned
[360] Earth Defense Force 2017 (D3 Publisher) {2006.12.14} - 11.969 / 27.087
[360] Earth Defense Force 2017 (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection) (D3 Publisher) {2007.11.01} - 5.691 / 38.784
[PS3] Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon (D3 Publisher) {2011.07.07} - 30.224 / 57.526
[360] Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon (D3 Publisher) {2011.07.07} - 11.902 / 17.717
[PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 (D3 Publisher) {2013.07.04} - 127.763 / NEW
[360] Earth Defense Force 2025 (D3 Publisher) {2013.07.04} - 16.499 / NEW

Heh, might as well make the future Earth Defense Force games PS3 &/or PS4 exclusive. The two EDF games shown on PS3 sold way more copies than any of the 4 EDF games on Xbox 360 combined.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
An Xperia Play 2 with top specs and a decent screen size would be perfect for me. Could replace 3 devices!

Yeah I really dont even see why they need to make another handheld. It would be quite stupid honestly to do it.

No need to kill the Vita either. Just ride it out for however long it goes and actually make an Xperia Play type of phone that doesn't suck. With eventual Gaikai support you could have a device that could play PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/PSP/Vita games on the go.

Remind me is prediction that Sony will discontinue Vita in early 2014 still actual ?

Fair question. Yes, by the time they report their earnings in May 2014.

I'm slightly less confident of that than I would have been six months or so ago, because Vita's Japanese sales and third-party support have both been better than I would have expected at that point (albeit not to any enormous degree; the weekly baseline is still well below where it was for 3DS before its own price cut, and there are still only a few announced titles with realistic 150K+ sales potential and not many more with 100K+ sales potential).

On the other hand, nothing has changed to make Vita's position outside Japan look any more viable than it did then, and I find it hard to believe that Sony will indefinitely continue to manufacture and support a relatively new system with a non-trivial production cost solely for the sake of a ~10-15K/week baseline in one region.

How many years in a row did Sony lose money on their TV business? 5-6 years or something? Sony are still in the TV business despite of this. I'm pretty sure they will be in business in whatever field as long as they believe there is money to be made there in long term.
I don't think they are losing money on VITA. They certainly aren't selling it at a loss IIRC. The problem is that VITA is not moving as much units as they had hoped. And if it continues, they might have to reconsider their strategy in the Handheld market.

I have hopes that Sony can shift their focus on VITA once the PS4 is out and selling steadily along with a nice software line-up and decent support. The remote play functionality and use of VITA as a second screen may increases the potential of VITA with PS4. PS+ is already mandatory and the free games for VITA can make a lot of people purchase the system after getting PS4.

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't think they are losing money on VITA. They certainly aren't selling it at a loss IIRC. The problem is that VITA is not moving as much units as they had hoped. And if it continues, they might have to reconsider their strategy in the Handheld market.

I have hopes that Sony can shift their focus on VITA once the PS4 is out and selling steadily along with a nice software line-up and decent support. The remote play functionality and use of VITA as a second screen may increases the potential of VITA with PS4. PS+ is already mandatory and the free games for VITA can make a lot of people purchase the system after getting PS4.
Its possible that they dont lose money on each sold Vita unit indeed, but my example with the TV business is to show that eventhough that they have a hard time within one sector of their business, it doesnt necessarily mean that they will quit it. Its hard to say how the handheld market will be in 2-3 years from now on, but if Sony believes there is money to be made in that sector, i cant see that they will quit it.

Jamix012

Pokemon, Mario, Animal Crossing and a plethora of smaller Nintendo titles are more than enough to turn a tide. Those huge titles in turn attract an install base to the handhelds that allow 3rd parties to cultivate fan bases on those platforms.

BadWolf

Its possible that they dont lose money on each sold Vita unit indeed, but my example with the TV business is to show that eventhough that they have a hard time within one sector of their business, it doesnt necessarily mean that they will quit it. Its hard to say how the handheld market will be in 2-3 years from now on, but if Sony believes there is money to be made in that sector, i cant see that they will quit it.

The handheld market is too important in Japan for them to quit it I think.

Mr Swine

Banned

I think the problem is that it may be a little too late. If Vita reaches 2 million at the end of the year while the 3DS hits 15-16 Million, developers will flock to the 3DS. Then if Sony wants to focus on Vita they need to have the PS4 be hit directly when it comes out. But as the market isnt the same as it was 8 years ago it may be alot harder even if PS4 gets all the support. And we know that Japan is more or less Handheld land where the 3DS already in its second year outsold the PS3 that has been out for 7 years

saichi

Toukiden is certainly a biggest surprise this year. Marketing is so small compared to Soul Sacrifice but it beat SS to the ground. Look like I'll get it when it comes out in US.

Toukiden marketing is not small...

Also Japan is so weird. The fact that a niche Vita title is outselling Last of Us is pretty funny. That's not even taking into account the PSP sku.

and not niche either...

GT6 PS4 for launch window will probably be anouced

not gonna help much if GT6 PS3 is releasing on the same time or before it.

Where are handhelds dying in Japan. It's not that if a console doesn't reach the absurd number DS did in 2006/2007, then it's dead. Otherwise, PS2 and GBA were more "dead" than 3DS right now. Seriously, why the fuck it must be all black and white.
Vita is dead, Wii u is dead, handhelds is dead, PS4 and Xbone are guaranteed hits, smartphones is gonna take over the world.

Thats just the way it goes..

Road

Heh, might as well make the future Earth Defense Force games PS3 &/or PS4 exclusive. The two EDF games shown on PS3 sold way more copies than any of the 4 EDF games on Xbox 360 combined.

"But they had a hat full of of money. A real hat with real money!!"

The entire Xbox 360 experience in Japan is one of them most interesting things this generation. These moneyhats had better been put to good use with beer and whores because the results of them are the corpses of companies and franchises.

At least EDF and Tales managed to survive to tell the story another day.

"But they had a hat full of of money. A real hat with real money!!"

The entire Xbox 360 experience in Japan is one of them most interesting things this generation. These moneyhats had better been put to good use with beer and whores because the results of them are the corpses of companies and franchises.

At least EDF and Tales managed to survive to tell the story another day.

They killed Ace Combat....Ace fucking combat :(

QaaQer

Brand loyalty in Japan is strong, + ninty handhelds are always cheaper.

As far as Sony staying in the dedicated handheld market, quite frankly, the management of that company cannot continue to prop up money losing divisions or they will be replaced.

Further, you cannot extrapolate from their TV business what they will do with their handheld business. The TV sector has been given so much leeway and time because it employees so many Japanese people and they have invested so much into it. That is not the case with handhelds. Also, reading between the lines, if TV business is not profitable by end of FY14, they will begin winding it down.

Having said that, they may have a strategy wherein they try to roll their mobile PlayStation assets into something on android based tablets and smartphones. Or maybe they have discovered how to make a phone with sticks and buttons that people will actually want to be seen with. Who knows...

I still dont see vita on store shelves in the west by mid 2014 and primarily sold online if at all. You guys realize how much money goes into making a platform. They are bot releasing a dedicated handheld. Now a differenr type is possible

Once again the system is on track to sell less than 10 million ww

DGRE

Banned
I still dont see vita on store shelves in the west by mid 2014 and primarily sold online if at all. You guys realize how much money goes into making a platform. They are bot releasing a dedicated handheld. Now a differenr type is possible
The other option would be seeing the vita in the accessories section for the PS4 without any games on shelves. Who knows.

DaBoss

I can see retailers in the west being upset with the Vita's more digital focus so they won't have a lot of retail software selling. I don't know about whether retailers will drop it though.

The other option would be seeing the vita in the accessories section for the PS4 without any games on shelves. Who knows.

What has been the most expensive accessory and how successful has it been?

The box is not much bigger than a controller box and the mem cards come on small cardboard sheets, you could store a hundred or more of them in a desk drawer.

Opportunity cost wise the threshold for not stocking is lower than for a home console because there is a lower footprint in store and in storage as well as the store double dipping on every sale with machine + mem card (the biggest reason it wont get dropped from shelves imo)

test_account

XP-39C²
What has been the most expensive accessory and how successful has it been?
The Vita will never be a pure accessory even if they only sell the console at retail. Used games will still excist, and the PS Store will also be up, so games can still be purchased even if its just older games, so its hard to compare to a standard accessory. But if the Vita is going to be seen as an accessory, i guess you can compare it to addon systems like Sega CD, Sega 32X and Nintend 64DD. All of those were fairly expencive when they were released and dint really sell a lot. None of them offered streaming from one system to another though. EDIT: With no streaming i mean for comparison sake only, that its hard to do a 1 to 1 comparison to those addon systems because they dont offer the same functions as the Vita/PS4 does. I have no idea how popular that streaming from the PS4 to the Vita will be.

Top Bottom