• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

Sandfox

I'm not sure why you would expect big-ish announcements in a Direct but not at Sony's TGS tbh. Outside of maybe Bokujo Monogatari(sp?) any new, notable game for the Switch is going to be multiplatform, and for those games the PS4 will be the lead platform(both development and promotion wise) so they're probably more likely to be announced in a Sony event than a Nintendo one.

Nirolak made a good point about the PS4 and nobody has posted anything about expecting big third party announcements for the Switch in the Nintendo Direct. I don't know where you are getting that from.

Also, the bold probably isn't a safe assumption lol.

LordKano

Nirolak made a good point about the PS4 and nobody has posted anything about expecting big third party announcements for the Switch in the Nintendo Direct. I don't know where you are getting that from.

You need to understand that Japanese devs actively hate Nintendo and would do anything to be more associated with Sony instead.

Oregano

For the most part, I'm expecting the big announcements at Nintendo's event to be games published by Nintendo for 2018.

I imagine the exceptions would be things along the lines of Inazuma Eleven, where they're children's and family brands hopping over to next-gen.

Do you actually think there will be many announcements from Nintendo though?

Nintendo still has to officially date Xenoblade for this year and then they've already announced Kirby and Yoshi for next year. I'm sure there's a few surprises left up their sleeve but it's not like there's not already stuff to talk about. On the third party front too there's Octopath Traveller which would have been a shoo-in for a pre-TGS reveal but instead got revealed at the beginning of this year.

Inazuma Eleven is definitely another example of a notable game that could be exclusive(well console-exclusive anyway) but has Level 5 ever had anything revealed in a direct before.

People have been hyping the Nintendo Fall direct for literally weeks/months now, especially when a third party acts coy about Switch support.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
People have been hyping the Nintendo Fall direct for literally weeks/months now, especially when a third party acts coy about Switch support.

Yes, because the Nintendo fall events are usually pretty substantial.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo doesnt need to convince anyone that they are on board with the Switch - their lineup is strong and we wont know about most of their 2018 titles until early next year or e3.

They will wannt highlight 3rdParty/industry commitment to the system for this Holidays and later.

schuelma

Nintendo doesnt need to convince anyone that they are on board with the Switch - their lineup is strong and we wont know about most of their 2018 titles until early next year or e3.

They will wannt highlight 3rdParty/industry commitment to the system for this Holidays and later.

Right. We might see a few new Nintendo announcements if they are for early 2018 but I don't expect a big blowout of 1st party stuff.

I expect a decent amount of 3rd party announcements. Heck the April direct saw like 7 announcements and that was a pretty low profile event.

Fukuzatsu

I count two games that Japanese people may give a shit about. Maybe three.

What's the benchmark for 'giving a shit' here? Yakuza: Kiwami sold over 150,000 and Yakuza 6 around 375,000, so it stands to reason that Kiwami 2 should do alright.

GT Sport should manage a couple hundred thousand, but I guess in terms of titles that will sell over 100,000, that's probably about it. Knack sold surprisingly well (400k) so maybe Knack 2 as well.

FIFA and Trails of Cold Steel I could see coming close to 100,000 each. LTD for all of these, obviously.

Is that what we're hearing that this Direct will focus more on third party? Maybe Bayonetta coming to Switch type of stuff?

Zedark

Is that what we're hearing that this Direct will focus more on third party? Maybe Bayonetta coming to Switch type of stuff?

I don't think we've heard anything about the contents. The only possible indication (and it's a reach for sure) is that it's Vern who heard about it, and he said he only knows about third parties, not about internal Nintendo stuff.

Edit: Just to be clear, Vern only said he heard rumblings of a direct on September 13th, he never said anything about the alleged contents of the direct (in fact, he said he doesn't know anything about the contents of the direct).

LordKano

What's the benchmark for 'giving a shit' here? Yakuza: Kiwami sold over 150,000 and Yakuza 6 around 375,000, so it stands to reason that Kiwami 2 should do alright.

GT Sport should manage a couple hundred thousand, but I guess in terms of titles that will sell over 100,000, that's probably about it. Knack sold surprisingly well (400k) so maybe Knack 2 as well.

FIFA and Trails of Cold Steel I could see coming close to 100,000 each. LTD for all of these, obviously.

The benchmark is selling enough copies to drive system sales. Kiwami 2 will probably suffer a decline but should be fine, GT sports too despite the decline in popularity. I was thinking of RE7 gold too (maybe). Knack sold well only because it was the only bundle available at launch, Knack 2 will bomb if it even chart. Cold Steel 3 as a PS4 exclusive will likely bomb, considering that PS3 version of Cold Steel 1 barely managed 100k LTD while Cold Steel 2 couldn't. Doubt the 3rd one won't horribly decline too.

But that's about it. Kiwami 2, GT Sports and maybe RE7 Gold. That's a pretty poor fall line-up.

schuelma

The benchmark is selling enough copies to drive system sales. Kiwami 2 will probably suffer a decline but should be fine, GT sports too despite the decline in popularity. I was thinking of RE7 gold too (maybe). Knack sold well only because it was the only bundle available at launch, Knack 2 will bomb if it even chart. Cold Steel 3 as a PS4 exclusive will likely bomb, considering that PS3 version of Cold Steel 1 barely managed 100k LTD while Cold Steel 2 couldn't. Doubt the 3rd one won't horribly decline too.

But that's about it. Kiwami 2, GT Sports and maybe RE7 Gold. That's a pretty poor fall line-up.

Do we think there is any chance of Dynasty Warriors hitting this year? That would be pretty significant

cw_sasuke

Right. We might see a few new Nintendo announcements if they are for early 2018 but I don't expect a big blowout of 1st party stuff.

I expect a decent amount of 3rd party announcements. Heck the April direct saw like 7 announcements and that was a pretty low profile event.

I think there will be at least one big Nintendo title shown - but their main goal will likely be to highlight their upcoming services and updates on Switch. Full details on their online service, including prices, features and highlighting what first/3rdparty games will support it from Day 1. Same for whatever they have planned for their updated VC service...what features will be new compared to past VC offerings and who will be on board.

Otherwise...yeah expect quite a bit from 3rdPartys...and not just from the usual ones like Ubi, SE and Bamco heh.

I get hyped in general for a general Nintendo Direct. Especially, with the Switch being a success Nintendo Directs should be brimming with more content from others not named Nintendo. This is what excites me the most about Nintendo Directs compared to the Wii U days.

vern

Gonintendo wrote an article about it, too. Vern's 'bout to go viral!

I don't even wanna go and read what their article is about or watch that video do I? I gave absolutely nothing worth reporting on and confirmed nothing.

I don't think we've heard anything about the contents. The only possible indication (and it's a reach for sure) is that it's Vern who heard about it, and he said he only knows about third parties, not about internal Nintendo stuff.

I don't have the slightest idea what will be shown in the direct, first or third party, just for clarity's sake.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
When I made the statement, I was using Media Create numbers and they do not include all the digital downloads, so I had counted 20, with Horizon just barely missing the cut. Sorry for any confusion.

According to the Game Data Library the PS4 is much more healthy and better at selling games over 200k units than I had stated.

Using Famitsu retail+digital these are the correct numbers for titles that had retail presence and leaving out limited editions and collections of already released games on the same system.

33/444 = 7,4% (with budget releases as different SKUs)
33/394 = 8,4% (with budget releases as combined SKUs)

I don't even wanna go and read what their article is about or watch that video do I? I gave absolutely nothing worth reporting on and confirmed nothing.

I don't have the slightest idea what will be shown in the direct, first or third party, just for clarity's sake.

Phase 1:Gaffer speculates on probable September 13th Direct... gives nothing else at all.

Phase 2: Hungry Nintendo fansites go in a frenzy over everything and anything that could be announced.

It's a predictable cycle at this point.

Too late. You said you heard rumblings and they reported it as a rumor of a Direct coming this week.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

These are my expectations too but I wouldn't rule out a first party announcement that comes out this December (port obviously). It won't surprise me either it happens or not, it's not that Nintendo needs it for holidays.

Zedark

Let's Switch (TM) away from the Direct for a moment if you please: The PS4 had a massive last four months last year: PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, and FFXV all released and caused large upticks, often keeping the sales of PS4 above the previous level for multiple weeks. DO you think PS4 can keep up with its last year in this period and, more interestingly imo, do you think it will stay ahead of last year once the year has finished?

I personally think the lead the PS4 has built up over last year (357k) is enough to stay ahead for the year, but I do think the last four months won;t be as big as last year's, due to the peaks achieved last year because of the three aforementioned major events. As a result, I think the PS4 will end up around 250k ahead of last year's total for the year (which means it will sell about 100k less than the previous year's last four months).

What do you guys think? Love to hear your thoughts on this!

Sadist

Its just labeled as rumour and because you mentioned L.A. Noire was coming to Switch, nothing more.

Shahadan

You don't really need to when those people don't really have the guidelines professionals have. They'll slap RUMOR on it to protect themselves if you're wrong and bank on the clicks/views in the meantime.
That said you're well, you, so expect it to happen again next time, lol

noshten

I have a feeling that there might be some Japanese 3rd Party Ports making their way to a Nintendo Handheld for the first time. Mainly games that were crossgen, no new major games.
I'm still waiting for Konami to announce somekind of MGS that involves local multiplayer for the Switch
Perhaps a few games licensed or financed by Nintendo from the likes Platinum, From Software etc

Laplasakos

Let's Switch (TM) away from the Direct for a moment if you please: The PS4 had a massive last four months last year: PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, and FFXV all released and caused large upticks, often keeping the sales of PS4 above the previous level for multiple weeks. DO you think PS4 can keep up with its last year in this period and, more interestingly imo, do you think it will stay ahead of last year once the year has finished?

I personally think the lead the PS4 has built up over last year (357k) is enough to stay ahead for the year, but I do think the last four months won;t be as big as last year's, due to the peaks achieved last year because of the three aforementioned major events. As a result, I think the PS4 will end up around 250k ahead of last year's total for the year (which means it will sell about 100k less than the previous year's last four months).

What do you guys think? Love to hear your thoughts on this!

I think it won't manage to sell more than last year. But it doesn't mean anything, since last year as you said it had four crazy months that managed to outsell even the best year of PS3. Although, if there is a price cut and new colors for slim and pro, it has a good chance of selling better.

I have a feeling that there might be some Japanese 3rd Party Ports making their way to a Nintendo Handheld for the first time. Mainly games that were crossgen, no new major games.
I'm still waiting for Konami to announce somekind of MGS that involves local multiplayer for the Switch
Perhaps a few games licensed or financed by Nintendo from the likes Platinum, From Software etc

I'll take third party Japanese ports for the Switch. Bring more PS3/360 ports like RPG's along with new games.

LordKano

Here's some food for Nirolak. Apparently there's a game company in Oshiage recruiting for a major console title planned for PS4/One/Switch next spring. The notice dates from a couple months ago. The article in question mentions that it's likely from Bamco as they work there. They're recruiting for programmers in C#.NET, Unity and ASP.net. Potential TGS announcement ?
http://nintendoeverything.com/major...g-for-multiplatform-project-targeting-switch/
https://futurizm.jp/jobs/2505

but when will announce the direct then?It's sunday and they still haven't announced it yet

They never announced anything on week-ends.

Zedark

Here's some food for Nirolak. Apparently there's a game company in Oshiage recruiting for a major console title planned for PS4/One/Switch next spring. The notice dates from a couple months ago. The article in question mentions that it's likely from Bamco as they work there. They're recruiting for programmers in C#.NET, Unity and ASP.net. Potential TGS announcement ?
http://nintendoeverything.com/major...g-for-multiplatform-project-targeting-switch/
https://futurizm.jp/jobs/2505

They never announced anything on week-ends.

Hmm... Dragonball FighterZ has been announced for February, so it can't be that. Could it be Code Vein? It doesn't have a release date or window yet, but maybe TGS will change that? Another important thing: would they hide the name of the project if it has been announced already? Maybe because the Switch version hasn't been announced yet? I personally doubt the latter bit, but I have no extensive knowledge on the subject.

Edit: Seems like Code Vein is an UE4 title, so it can't be this one.

Oregano

Hmm... Dragonball FighterZ has been announced for February, so it can't be that. Could it be Code Vein? It doesn't have a release date or window yet, but maybe TGS will change that? Another important thing: would they hide the name of the project if it has been announced already? Maybe because the Switch version hasn't been announced yet? I personally doubt the latter bit, but I have no extensive knowledge on the subject.

DBFZ and Code Vein are both Unreal Engine based. The only Unity Bamco game I know of was the last Digimon.

I believe Nirolak once noted that Shift was seeking Unity developers so it could plausibly be God Eater?

cw_sasuke

GE3 not being NSW/PS4/PC would be quite the surprise - think we will see it next week.

LordKano

DBFZ and Code Vein are both Unreal Engine based. The only Unity Bamco game I know of was the last Digimon.

I believe Nirolak once noted that Shift was seeking Unity developers so it could plausibly be God Eater?

Good catch.

On this note, I looked at Shift's website, and they're hiring for Unity experience. Looking at that trailer again, it's plausibly a Unity 5 game, which would be able to run on Vita (though uh, with Unity Vita performance).

Laplasakos

God Eater for spring next year seems a bit too early for me. We don't know nothing about the game yet. GE2 was revealed (well re revealed) at TGS and was released after 14 months.

sinonobu

Banned
What engine is SAO FB developed on?

That's also releasing on Spring, and has already been confirmed to release on Xbone/PS4/Steam.

Maybe they'll announce Switch version at the rumored direct?

LordKano

There's nothing currently announced from Bamco that is made with Unity. If it isn't God Eater, it would have to be something else that would be announced soon, for a release next spring, and targeting the west as there's a Xbox One version in development.
God Eater fit the thing surprisingly well.

EDIT : assuming it's from Bamco, of course.

Top Bottom