• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2014 (Oct 06 - Oct 12)

casiopao

Meanwhile in Sony HQ:

"So yeah, that guy, you know, that guy who made decisions to let go MH from PSP to 3DS? Yeah? Get that guy in that room again. Yeah, yeah, let's beat him up again. Yeah, bring everybody in to join in the fun."

Lol, i feel for the pain of those who tried to force Capcom to add trophy there lol.

I wonder which Sony will do if they do a limited edition console to boost sales. A Vita limited edition version or a PS4 limited edition version.

They already did a vanilla GE2 LE console for Vita last year. I think it's had its shot.

I'm surprised theres no Phantasy Star Nova LE to be honest. There's not a great number of games next year I feel they could do a LE for on Vita really. They'd been pretty good with it up until recent, imo (Miku; Soul Sacrifice; Toukiden; GE2; FFX etc.)

Darius

Banned
In my opinion it wouldn´t have made a big difference. Especially the early adopters and PS customers in general expected a port or "real" "MHportable" along the line and from early on this very demographic was catered to from several different developers with MH clones. So a good chunk of that base was and is already on board.

Even if there would have been a mainline MH game on PSV, at best it would have been multiplattform splitting the salespotential. It would be a mistake to look at the peak sales and expect all those users would have bought a system for the game. It is a strong system seller sure but a good chunk of the sales are from gamers with mild interest, some of them buy it because they already own the system if they don´t "who cares".

Western publishers attitude, including 1st party studios wouldn´t have changed their minds with slightly less terrible sales in Japan. In Japan I doubt it would have been enough either, less terrible maybe, but on the other hand MH could have suffered a more severe contraction, and 3DS sales likely would have been worse off as well. The latter would have benefitted the smartphone business even more.

Orgen

Seeing the Smash Bros comparison, Smash Bros for the 3DS is going to surpass Brawl LTD this year... I didn't believe it could beat it (and that fast).

MH4 won't surpass 4 million LTD. I think the lack of a Best release is at fault here but I don't think Capcom is sad selling 3.8 million at full Price and now raking money with the Ultimate version.

Is it really that bad though? This way we have at least one healthy system in Japan.

Did you really just respond to a post about Sony kicking themselves about losing Monster Hunter with "is it really that bad though?"

I'd say it's pretty damn bad for Sony HQ.

Darius

Banned
Seeing the Smash Bros comparison, Smash Bros for the 3DS is going to surpass Brawl LTD this year... I didn't believe it could beat it (and that fast).

MH4 won't surpass 4 million LTD. I think the lack of a Best release is at fault here but I don't think Capcom is sad selling 3.8 million at full Price and now raking money with the Ultimate version.

I agree, without the early announcement of MH4G and instead the release of a cheap version and extra sales from a second holiday season (big advantage for MHP3) sales of MH4 would have been better, but the cost would have been time, the release of the extented G version generated more sales in a shorter time frame and the biggest plus it did that at full price.

Did you really just respond to a post about Sony kicking themselves about losing Monster Hunter with "is it really that bad though?"

I'd say it's pretty damn bad for Sony HQ.

Please think before responding, it is obvious that I wasn´t refering to the beating but the actual outcome (MH release) in reality.

Sandfox

I dunno, I felt like they could have done something, anything, to secure MH considering it's basically the sole existence that buoyed PSP from the land of the dead.

Ah whatever... it's a lost fight right now anyways.

Capcom probably wanted to work with Nintendo over Sony for various reasons.

Garou

MH4 was available new for under 2,000 Yen at many retailers since spring: http://kakaku.com/item/K0000399087/pricehistory/

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Capcom probably wanted to work with Nintendo over Sony for various reasons.
No one wants to work with Nintendo. Capcom could have more sales on 3DS while reusing assets of the same quality as PSP. Vita would have cost significantly more for possibly slightly less sales. It's as simple as that.

Sony would have to offer money that would match or exceed the difference in sales, plus the increased developments, plus any additional payments and co-marketing Nintendo provided. That would likely have been an astronomical cost.

No one wants to work with Nintendo. Capcom could have more sales on 3DS while reusing assets of the same quality as PSP. Vita would have cost significantly more for possibly slightly less sales. It's as simple as that.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

"Working with the console manufacturer has been a positive experience for developer Platinum Games, and according to Bayonetta 2 director Yusuke Hashimoto, it would "love" to do so again."

"Q1. Can you tell me the how and why Nintendo has become a publisher for your game?
Tomonobu Itagaki: Because we love games more than anyone else. We love to play and have fun. That’s exactly why we went independent in the first place. We wanted to develop in an environment where the question, “what is a game?” could be our central focus when making a decision. And it was absolute luck that allowed us to create this game with Nintendo. I think it’s our mission to take advantage of this encounter and meet the expectations of both gamers and everyone working in the industry."

So... no one? Tomonobu Itagaki seems pretty happy!

Garou

I had no idea. Is this like the bomba-bin? A unofficial Price reduction? Was it advertised? Did the prior MH Best Releases get some marketing push?

I'm trying to know if what you're mentioning here could equate to an official Best release by Capcom (I have no idea).

Capcom generally reduces the prices of it's games by a huge margin over time. Usually you get a Best-release after ~1 year, but in the case of MH4/4G they switched it up. The original 4G announcement (already mentioning that you can import your MH4-save) was in spring, and they lowered the price of MH4 unofficially so that people can jump on the train, get hooked, and then buy 4G at full price a couple of months later.
Bringing a Best-version of 4 after only 6 months would make no sense, and now that 4G is out Capcom would rather have you buy the full-price 4G instead of a lower-priced Best-version of 4. Especially since there is absolutely no difference in the content that was ported from 4 to 4G.

Garou

Capcom sold most at full price to retailers, which is the most important part to them. That the retail price lowered with MH4G around the corner is no surprise.

Retailers don't take a hit of over 50% for over 6 months, especially not on a game that actually sells, that was most certainly Capcom pulling some strings to prepare the market for 4G.

Darius

Banned
Capcom generally reduces the prices of it's games by a huge margin over time. Usually you get a Best-release after ~1 year, but in the case of MH4/4G they switched it up. The original 4G announcement (already mentioning that you can import your MH4-save) was in spring, and they lowered the price of MH4 unofficially so that people can jump on the train, get hooked, and then buy 4G at full price a couple of months later.
Bringing a Best-version of 4 after only 6 months would make no sense, and now that 4G is out Capcom would rather have you buy the full-price 4G instead of a lower-priced Best-version of 4. Especially since there is absolutely no difference in the content that was ported from 4 to 4G.

Maybe you should have looked closer to the link you posted, because the red line indicates the lowest price and not the most common one, the average price (blue line) was far higher. Or was this on purpose? Also in Japan it isn´t common that puplishers take the hit when retailers order to much.

Garou

Maybe you should have looked closer to the link you posted, because the red line indicates the lowest price and not the most common one, the average price (blue line) was far higher. Or was this on purpose?

The average in this case is not useful, some outlets/big chains will always have the MSRP on their stores, but I have actually seen that low price at retailers for months now, so it's not some random online-store undercutting everyone. I mean the lowest online-retailer right now is Amazon.co.jp, if they sell a game at such a rebate, something is up.

Darius

Banned
The average in this case is not useful, some outlets/big chains will always have the MSRP on their stores, but I have actually seen that low price at retailers for months now, so it's not some random online-store undercutting everyone.

The lowest price as a barometer is even worse. Anyway the important data is that Capcom in a press release officially stated to have shipped (including eshop sales) 4million units by Dec 3. 2013. Which for all it matters have been at full price at the very least there is no point to do otherwise with the holiday season in front of you and a popular product in your hand.

Garou

The lowest price as a barometer is even worse. Anyway the important data is that Capcom in a press release officially stated to have shipped (including eshop sales) 4million units by Dec 3. 2013. Which for all it matters have been at full price at the very least there is no point to do otherwise with the holiday season in front of you and a popular product in your hand.

Why is the lowest price a bad barometer? Especially if it persists for over 6 months. The exact same pattern happened with Gyakuten Saiban 5 and others. GS5-price is actually going up again since stock is running out everywhere. (Meanwhile Capcom is most certainly planning the Best-rerelease to keep the series on the radar until Dai Gyakuten Saiban).
The average on kakaku.com is not useful, since they include small Yahoo and Rakuten-based webshops that quote nothing but MSRP.

Darius

Banned
Why is the lowest price a bad barometer? Especially if it persists for over 6 months. The exact same pattern happened with Gyakuten Saiban 5 and others. GS5-price is actually going up again since stock is running out everywhere. (Meanwhile Capcom is most certainly planning the Best-rerelease to keep the series on the radar until Dai Gyakuten Saiban).
The average on kakaku.com is not useful, since they include small Yahoo and Rakuten-based webshops that quote nothing but MSRP.

Capcom made their money by December with shipping 4m units and called it a day with the very early MH4G announcement in January just a month after this press release. Most of the the sales have been made by that time, so I don´t see the big deal when retailers want to clear the remaining stock, when the updated version of the same game is around the corner and heavily marketed. I don´t see how the lowest price is good barometer for the overall situation, but that´s your opinion, ok.

The situation in the west isn't really that comparable. Both the XBone and the PS4 are totally viable consoles.
Just as 3DS is viable for Japan, don't let your blind love for the vita tell yourself anything different.

Hmm... seems like the Monster Hunter games are on the decline. It still sells well but we're far from the PSP days.
Yeah capcom should have released it for the Vita or PSP, numbers would be so much better, right?

Sony would have to offer money that would match or exceed the difference in sales, plus the increased developments, plus any additional payments and co-marketing Nintendo provided. That would likely have been an astronomical cost.
You really think Capcom gives a crap about mh's graphics for any platform they develop the main for?

possibility slightly less sales on vita? lol

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

nobody wants to work with Nintendo, especially on the handheld market? WUT!?
and..nobody wants to work with Nintendo but they decided to work with Nintendo because they offered better working options? I'm confused.

Please think before responding, it is obvious that I wasn´t refering to the beating but the actual outcome (MH release) in reality.

So... you weren't referring to anything he said in his post?

Just seemed an odd way to steer the conversation in a direction you wanted.

But okay.

SmokyDave

Just as 3DS is viable for Japan, don't let your blind love for the vita tell yourself anything different.
Oh, sweet irony.

If you'd read my post without being blinded by your own preconceptions, you'd see we were discussing the ramifications of having a single dominant platform. I mentioned that two platforms are viable in the west rather than one.

Read the conversation again and blush.

Oh, sweet irony.

If you'd read my post without being blinded by your own preconceptions, you'd see we were discussing the ramifications of having a single dominant platform. I mentioned that two platforms are viable in the west rather than one.

Read the conversation again and blush.
Japan can support more than one console, 3ds isn't the only platform doing well in Japan, it has everything to do with vita not being worthy, rather than Japan.

not sure what preconceptions i have, you do have blind love for vita, no?

SmokyDave

Japan can support more than one console,
Clearly not. It can't even support a single console. Just one handheld.

3ds isn't the only platform doing well in Japan,
Indeed. Smartphones are doing exceptionally well. I felt the scope of the conversation was limited to dedicated devices though.

it has everything to do with vita not being worthy, rather than Japan.
Which would be a great theory if there were any other healthy platforms at all. Which there aren't.

I still don't think you even grasp what was being talked about. It doesn't matter what the 'other' platform is, what matters is that there is no 'other' platform.

Jamix012

The situation in the west isn't really that comparable. Both the XBone and the PS4 are totally viable consoles.

I didn't know English speaking countries comprised the entirity of the west. Xbone is a disaster outside of these, in a lot of cases more so than the Wii U. I'd argue that the 2nd most viable console worldwide is not the Xbone, but the 3DS, which itself is selling lackluster outside Japan.

Clearly not. It can't even support a single console. Just one handheld.

Indeed. Smartphones are doing exceptionally well. I felt the scope of the conversation was limited to dedicated devices though.

Which would be a great theory if there were any other healthy platforms at all. Which there aren't.

I still don't think you even grasp what was being talked about. It doesn't matter what the 'other' platform is, what matters is that there is no 'other' platform.
The market changes, just like in the PS2 days, that was the only viable platform. Limiting the discussion to just dedicated platforms is pointless, and it only serves to cover the reality of the market.

You're blaming everything else but vita, why does it matter if there's no "other" platform, Japan is doing fine with 3ds and mobile, it only matters because you care so much about the vita.

Spiegel

I didn't know English speaking countries comprised the entirity of the west. Xbone is a disaster outside of these, in a lot of cases more so than the Wii U. I'd argue that the 2nd most viable console worldwide is not the Xbone, but the 3DS, which itself is selling lackluster outside Japan.

Xbox One is the second most viable console worldwide because it doesn't matter how badly it's doing outside of those contries, it will get most of the third party games.

SmokyDave

I disagree. Regardless, even if we argue over which is more viable, it's clear that Western markets have more than one healthy dedicated platform, which was the point.

The market changes, just like in the PS2 days, that was the only viable platform. Limiting the discussion to just dedicated platforms is pointless, and it only serves to cover the reality of the market.

You're blaming everything else but vita, why does it matter if there's no "other" platform, Japan is doing fine with 3ds and mobile, it only matters because you care so much about the vita.
Doesn't really matter what I type here since you're clearly unable or unwilling to understand my posts. I might as well paste my shopping list into this reply, or describe a fight between a mallard duck and a Florida moorhen.

Jamix012

Xbox One is the second most viable console worldwide because it doesn't matter how badly it's doing outside of those contries, it will get most of the third party games.

I suppose. It's lucky it's easy enough to port things from the PS4, but that hasn't resulted in much success for it outside of the US/UK and maybe Canada and Australia.

I disagree. Regardless, even if we argue over which is more viable, it's clear that Western markets have more than one healthy dedicated platform, which was the point.

I don't think either the 3DS nor the Xbox One are really viable platforms for 3rd party exclusives (at least in the 3DS' case this is outside Japan.) I really don't think there is a 2nd viable console outside of the PS4 at this point and after the holiday season stops making the Xbone and 3DS look less pathetic we'll see just how much of a 1 horse race this console market has become this generation. If the Xbox One does significantly better than the N64 did in it's lifetime I'd be shocked.

sörine

Banned
iOS and Android are getting most of the 3rd party games from here on out. West and East.

Abdiel

Yeah capcom should have released it for the Vita or PSP, numbers would be so much better, right?

You really think Capcom gives a crap about mh's graphics for any platform they develop the main for?

possibility slightly less sales on vita? lol

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Dave loves the vita, but I've never seen him be unrealistic about it's performance or expectations. He understands why it doesn't do well. Jeez, tone it down.

As to the second post, he was saying that it has declined from it's heyday, not that it would have done better on either of those platforms. Stop reading into things with your hackles up. No one is saying mh would have sold more on the vita.

And on the third, they were referencing how capcom was able to reuse assets from the psp for the 3ds, but that Sony would also have had to pay to cover potential lost sales, which, as the poster stated, would have been extremely expensive.

Seriously, you need to tone down the defensive filtering. None of those posts was pushing a pro Sony agenda.

Spiegel

sörine;134576002 said:
iOS and Android are getting most of the 3rd party games from here on out. West and East.

Okay.

That has nothing to do with getting console games and Xbox One being the second most viable console worldwide, though.

allan-bh

Mario Kart 8 bundle + Smash Bros will result in a very decent holidays sales for Wii U.

Last year Wii U had a good bump in december. Now can do even better.

sörine

Banned
Okay.

That has nothing to do with getting console games and Xbox One being the second most viable console worldwide, though.
Using this logic Xbox One, PS Vita and PS4 would all be viable in Japan too sonce they all have plenty if 3rd party support.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Dave loves the vita, but I've never seen him be unrealistic about it's performance or expectations. He understands why it doesn't do well. Jeez, tone it down.

As to the second post, he was saying that it has declined from it's heyday, not that it would have done better on either of those platforms. Stop reading into things with your hackles up. No one is saying mh would have sold more on the vita.

And on the third, they were referencing how capcom was able to reuse assets from the psp for the 3ds, but that Sony would also have had to pay to cover potential lost sales, which, as the poster stated, would have been extremely expensive.

Seriously, you need to tone down the defensive filtering. None of those posts was pushing a pro Sony agenda.

I remember (not exactly him, but in general) that in early 2014 many people were predicting 3DS and PSV being neck-to-neck, and even PSV possibly surpassing 3DS this solar year.

YW2.5 debuts on comgnet, 41pt
That's a great start! It took a few days for Youkai Watch 2 to debut on Comgnet. Pre-orders started on April 14.

April 16
Youkai Watch 2: Honke - 11pt
Youkai Watch 2: Ganso - not in the top 20, less than 11pt

April 17
Youkai Watch 2: Honke - 15pt
Youkai Watch 2: Ganso - 13pt

Youkai Watch 2.5 will have 3 weeks of sales in 2014, could it reach 2 million copies?

Youkai Watch 2 sold 1.829.533 in 3 weeks, but it was supply constrained.

Spiegel

sörine;134582866 said:
Using this logic Xbox One, PS Vita and PS4 would all be viable in Japan too sonce they all have plenty if 3rd party support.

Original argument:

Xbox One is getting 99-100% of the big multiplatform games aimed at the west and it won't stop getting them.

That is exactly the measure to tell if a console is viable or not.

Jamix012

Xbox One is getting 99-100% of the big multiplatform games aimed at the west and it won't stop getting them.

That's a very strange definition of viable. By this definition the Wii was not a viable console.

sörine

Banned
Original argument:

And PS4 is getting plenty of big 3rd party games in Japan as well. So is Xbox One even. I guess both are then viable in Japan if this is the meadurement used?

Top Bottom