• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2014 (Oct 06 - Oct 12)

Hiltz

could a Animal Crossing for Wii U be a million seller in Japan?

I suppose it could do better than some of the other 1st party titles, but not even Mario Kart 8 has sold 700k copies yet in over 4 months since its release. There's nearly 2 million Wii U owners in Japan, but it seems like their not really buying anything.

allan-bh

I can't see a comeback for Xbox One like X360 had with Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean: The Last Hope and others.

XOne is finished in Japan.

Darius

Banned
All depends on how much it sell in the holiday season. For the remaining 11 weeks (week 42 to 52), the Vita sold 405.806 in 2013. Since it has a YOY lead of 164.695, it needs to sell about 26.010 units every week in average for the next 11 week to match 2013's numbers. If it didnt have that lead, it would need to sell about 36.891 in a weekly average instead.

For comparison, the 3DS sold 1.456.808 units in the same 11 week period in 2013. The 3DS needs to sell about 132.437 units on a weekly average for the next 11 weeks to match it's 2013 period.

All numbers are Media Create.

PSVs December 2013 was surprisingly weak considering the launch of two revisions, only week 52 was somewhat good thanks to FFX/X-2, so I agree that December will be the most decisive time for the comparison.

Foshy

could a Animal Crossing for Wii U be a million seller in Japan?

Very much doubt it. Even the Wii version didn't sell much higher than 1m (1,221,459 on Famitsu to be exact). It's definitely a handheld-centric series.

It'd still be worth it for Nintendo and it'd probably be one of the better selling Wii U games, but I really don't think it can hit 1m.

Oregano

I think most gamers in Japan would sooner buy a slightly warmed over version of the 3DS they already own, than buy a Vita. I'd like to be wrong, but I bet I'm not.

That said, I also thought faceplates would drive sales of the smaller unit but the LL crushed it.

3DS is just more popular but I think the combination of built in dual analog and MonHun is what caused the Vita to actually drop this week.

I also thought the small N3DS would sell better too. I thought they'd be about equal, bit of a surprise really.

People should really stop saying this about PSN. It's not going to be the biggest Vita game at all. It won't outdo God Eater 2 or P4G for sure, its pre-orders are just not there. That's not to say it won't do decent numbers, but I feel people are going to be disappointed with its performance.

Nova won't do shit for Vita. Maybe a slight bump to 15-20k, but it'll drop after that.

Isn't the only preorder info we have COMGnet? If so you just have to look at MH4U to see why that isn't bulletproof.

If PSN only sells ~300K then it's a massive drop from the PSP games. It just seems unlikely to drop that much unless Tri-Ace is in fact cursed.

What if FFE outsells PSN? (I don't think it will happen, but most of you are being pessimistic about PSN)

FFE seems to be doing well on Amazon but bombing on Comgnet. The opposite is true for PSN.

Maybe they will cancel each other. :p

jeremy1456

Isn't the only preorder info we have COMGnet? If so you just have to look at MH4U to see why that isn't bulletproof.

If PSN only sells ~300K then it's a massive drop from the PSP games. It just seems unlikely to drop that much unless Tri-Ace is in fact cursed.

There's a large discrepancy between the user bases of the Vita and PSP.

Im expecting 200k to be the ceiling for Phantasy Star Nova.

Oregano

What if FFE outsells PSN? (I don't think it will happen, but most of you are being pessimistic about PSN)

FFE seems to be doing well on Amazon but bombing on Comgnet. The opposite is true for PSN.

As a 3DS owning FF fan it would be a travesty. Nova looks so much better than Explorers that it shouldn't even be a possibility.

EDIT:
There's a large discrepancy between the user bases of the Vita and PSP.

Im expecting 200k to be the ceiling for Phantasy Star Nova.

It doesn't appear to have affected games like Toukiden or God Eater that much though and PSN is actually Vita exclusive. That would be Phantasy Star Zero level.

Even with the n3DS, it looks like overall 3DS sales this year are going to be drastically lower than what they were last year.
It was inevitable. Sales like 2012/2013 are few and far between and, historically, are not sustainable because you keep approaching a ceiling for hardware sales - you can only soften the blow a bit but not prevent it which is why the n3DS exists. The DSi was released under similar conditions with DS. I think it only sticks out now because of the west where sales are declining rapidly instead of gaining further momentum.

Scum

It would be s great idea if nintendo had a proper unified account system. No one wants to buy the same games again and again on all the different hardware releases.

This is why NCL NEEDS to have an OS as their platform next time round. Take a leaf out of Apple/Google/Valve's book.

Busaiku

I wonder if Dangan Ronpa 3 will go multiplatform... It just seems like it's geared for a late 2015 release at the earliest (possibly later) and by that point the Vita will be...even more irrelevant than it is now. DR3, P4DAN and Gravity Rush 2 are the last "big" exclusives potentially coming to the system but GR2 has been speculated to be PS4 too.

This is the type of game where the userbase is irrelevant.
It's a niche, hardcore audience, that will support it wherever.

small44

The new 3DS happened. Gonna be a rough few months for the Vita.

Still, this is the best year the Vita will ever have so I guess that's something. It was supposed to be six feet under by now.

I start to believe Vita will not stay ahead of 2013 total,Vita only had Nova and i don't thinks it's will have the same boost as FF remaster last year

Jamix012

This is the type of game where the userbase is irrelevant.
It's a niche, hardcore audience, that will support it wherever.

I completely disagree actually. It's Niche, but it's a game that has a large potential in Japan. If it came out on the 3DS as well, I'm sure it almost double it's sales at the very least. It's the type of game I feel a lot of people want to try but aren't willing to buy a new console for it.

I mean, if it got a multiplatform release I'd still personally buy it on the Vita, but I really think this is a game that would hugely benefit from a multi platform release especially if it releases on a console that's virtually dead by the time it releases.

Yagami_Sama

The lack of new releases helped Wii U to sell less than 7K. In time like these that 3rd party games are missed.
The console had 3 good games in a row and for now we don't have nothing relevant for October. They should had worked out something
for this month, Captain Toad or X would be a good choice.
A part from that, the New 3DS sales were quite impressive, I am curious to see how sales will be next week. Also nice number from MH 4G, Smash Bros. and Yokai Watch.

Vita is the true champion, indeed.

Btw, isn't this Smash number a little bit low? Is there the chart comparison with previous episodes?

A little bit low?

With this week, SSB for 3DS already sold more than the first two entries (SSB on N64 and SSB Melee on GC).

5th week / total so far / LTD comparison:
  • [N64] SSB - n.d. / 1,631,859
  • [NGC] SSB Melee - 139,845 / 681,939 / 1,349,418
  • [WII] SSB Brawl - 69,009 / 1,398,142 / 2,303,103
  • [3DS] SSB for 3DS - 81,959 / 1,621,464

SSB Melee's 5th week was mid-December, so holiday effect in full force. Its LTD was low though. SSB for 3DS still had the holiday season ahead, and this will be enough to push it above 2m units.

Opiate

Mind boggling how Sony completely dropped the ball in Japan and let MH go to Nintendo. Just what exactly was Kawano doing all those years?

Nintendo staying afloat thanks to the 3DS. They just need to keep releasing a revision every few years.

I feel like Sony was in a bad position to retain it. It wasn't as if Monster Hunter was a major franchise before last generation, and then Monster Hunter ended up almost single handedly carrying the PSP to strong lifetime sales.

I suspect Capcom didn't want to be in the position of pushing Sony's hardware for them any longer.

Oregano

I feel like Sony was in a bad position to retain it. It wasn't as if Monster Hunter was a major franchise before last generation, and then Monster Hunter ended up almost single handedly carrying the PSP to strong lifetime sales.

I suspect Capcom didn't want to be in the position of pushing Sony's hardware for them any longer.

I think there's also the factor that the Vita is the first hardware launch where they haven't been the assumed victor since the PS1. It had been 15 years since they had to actively court developers.

To their credit they don't appear to have made the same mistake with PS4.

hongcha

Nice little Vita software legs this week (7k DR:AE, 3k Ar nosurge plus, 5k Sen no kiseki II vita, 2k dungeon travelers 2), though I suspect at least one of those will drop off the charts next week. Too bad the hardware sales slumped.

Wii U at 5k already? Nothing much until Smash, right? Well, there is Captain Toad on Nov 13, though I don't think that will sell systems. Some dark weeks ahead until the Holidays, when it should get its usual sales boost from kids and their Christmas/otoshidama money.

N3DS did far better than I anticipated. Nice to see at least one platform doing well in Japan, even if it is in a sharp YoY decline. 20K 3DS LL is very interesting, I guess some aren't that interested in the new features/design of the N3DS LL. Plus, you can't buy a white N3DS LL yet!

Haikyuu 3DS doesn't look like it will sell its first shipment before it's in the bomba bin, I guess the bad word of mouth really hurt it. It's way behind Kuroneko Basketball's sales at this point, selling less than half of what Kuroneko sold each week after launch:

05./00. [3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Victory <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.02.20} (¥5.980) - 45.681 / NEW
16./05. [3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Victory <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.02.20} (¥5.980) - 10.378 / 56.059 (-77%)
19./16. [3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Victory <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.02.20} (¥5.980) - 5.752 / 61.811 (-45%)

06./00. [3DS] Haikyu!! Tsunage! Itadaki no Keshiki!! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.09.25} (¥6.145) - 43.839 / NEW
14./06. [3DS] Haikyu!! Tsunage! Itadaki no Keshiki!! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.09.25} (¥6.145) - 4.777 / 48.615 (-89%)
20./14. [3DS] Haikyu!! Tsunage! Itadaki no Keshiki!! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.09.25} (¥6.145) - 2.797 / 50.370 <60-80%> (-58%)

I had to take the last Haikyuu number from Famitsu as it is not in the Media Create top 20. The MC number will be lower. The rest of the sales are from MC.

Kuroneko went on to sell around 3k in its fourth week, with a LTD of 75K. We probably won't see Haikyuu in the sales charts again after this week.

Busaiku

Kuroko's Basketball had the benefit of launching when the show was still airing.
Haikyuu came out just as the cartoon ended, so it wasn't gonna have similar legs.

I don't think the quality of the game is the factor here.

hongcha

Kuroko's Basketball had the benefit of launching when the show was still airing.
Haikyuu came out just as the cartoon ended, so it wasn't gonna have similar legs.

I don't think the quality of the game is the factor here.

They opened with almost identical first week sales, but Kuroneko got way better reviews from both the media and the users, and thus had far better legs. The quality of the games is definitely a factor.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
3DS | 261.873

Blade_WTF.gif

Road

MH4 final pre-orders: 3872
MH4G final pre-orders: 2845 (-27%)

MH4 first week sales: 1.715.060
MH4G first week sales 1.446.289 (-16%)

Meh, there was an general decline in sales, just smaller compared the amount of pre-orders in comgnet stores. (Let's see if Media Create hypothesis materializes -- MH4G having better relative supply than MH4.)

Phantasy Star Nova is still 40 days away from release, it is too soon to start making any judgments based on its comgnet pre-orders, anyway.

I'm always late to the party

Fifa 15 seemed to open poorly? Not sure what previous entries opened at though

Driveclub bombed although I guess there's potential for digital sales

MH did great, New 3DS opened really well. Vita is quickly dropping. PS4 had a mild bump due to the White SKU I guess. Wii U falling back down.

Bayonetta looks like it'll be lucky to end with a LTD of 60k at this rate :\

Oh and XB1 finally hits 3 digits. Wonder how many weeks that was

Oregano

MH4 final pre-orders: 3872
MH4G final pre-orders: 2845 (-27%)

MH4 first week sales: 1.715.060
MH4G first week sales 1.446.289 (-16%)

Meh, there was an general decline in sales, just smaller compared the amount of pre-orders in comgnet stores. (Let's see if Media Create hypothesis materializes -- MH4G having better relative supply than MH4.)

Phantasy Star Nova is still 40 days away from release, it is too soon to start making any judgments based on its comgnet pre-orders, anyway.

Well when you put it like that it is only 10%(FAKE EDIT: Well 11% but whatevs) off which isn't a huge amount but it still shows that it's not a concrete measurement even right before release.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
3DS is just more popular but I think the combination of built in dual analog and MonHun is what caused the Vita to actually drop this week.

We are talking for this upcoming Q4 Vita drop many weeks now. New 3DS and MH played a part but things won't change next weeks. Appealing software isn't there, it's as simple as that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I sure hope Monster Strike plays closer to Monster Strike, otherwise I wouldn't know what to think

:p
Well, if Monster Strike doesn't play close to Monster Strike, I'd lose any faith in this world :p
Haha, sorry, I mean the Monster Strike arcade game looks closer to the Monster Strike smartphone game than I remember the P&D arcade game playing like P&D on smartphones.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Haha, sorry, I mean the Monster Strike arcade game looks closer to the Monster Strike smartphone game than I remember the P&D arcade game playing like P&D on smartphones.

Now it makes sense :D

btw, Chaos Rings III is out now, right? Both on iOS / Android and on Vita? Seeing how it performs between the different versions will be interesting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Now it makes sense :D

btw, Chaos Rings III is out now, right? Both on iOS / Android and on Vita? Seeing how it performs between the different versions will be interesting.

If it is, it's either doing absolutely terribly, or App Annie hasn't updated yet.

Fierceguiex

Neo Member
Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2014 (Oct 06 - Oct 12)

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 1.446.289 / NEW
02./01. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616) - 76.392 / 1.557.829 (-28%)
03./03. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 57.583 / 2.712.909 (-8%)

3DS is fantastic system with great games, very nice numbers

*channels inner Ryse*

They can keep it

One is a fantastic mystery game.....the other is a mediocre cinematic qte fest.

I do hope Danganronpa comes to PS4 but I guess thats why PSTV exists. Still it would be nice.

I dunno but FFE does not look good. Is SE putting much effort into this? PSN also disappoints me.

Top Bottom