• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2016 (Feb 01 - Feb 07)

Oh I did forget, but I don't expect DQH2 to actually do much for hardware because at that point it is selling to the same people as the original. Its not even looking to redefine anything, its a standard Musou-like sequel and an increase in platforms to fight off the usual decay.

Though I don't know if its reasonable to expect YoY decline even at end of Q1 since we still have the price-cut having increased the baseline and we're still in the pre-Bloodborne "soft" price drop. The more interesting period, if anything, is after the March period where the PS4 of 2016 is going to be looking very close to the PS4 of 2015 (and the soft-price drop comes into affect bringing the 2015 baseline up to 18-20k), and have had a few big releases under its belt again. The real question is what happens after that since there will be no MGSV but there will be FFXV. (DQ I assume is 2017.)

I still expect a YoY rise just due to the way things line up, I just don't expect it to be a very notable rise.

Well there will be Persona 5 during summer and Yakuza 6 during fall that should counter MGSV. Then FFXV as a extra and as a biggest of all. Otherwise too PS4 could have better line up during latter half of the year compared to last year (hard to say yet as we don't know release dates for many many games). PS4 will also definitely see another price cut this year. It's getting global price cuts and Sony will not go trough next holiday with $349 price point in west. Maybe even Slim model that should give a nice one week boost at the very least. VR could also be wild card. I still expect notable rise (if you count 300-400k as a notable).

PS4 | 31.058
PSV # | 23.090
WIU | 3.939
PS4 keeps it's number quite high. Big drop for Vita.
And the Wii-U.. I guess the stock problems are true. Really is kind of embarrassing they could not keep a decent enough supply. Production problems or not.

02./01. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo # <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥5.980) - 46.391 / 224.407 (-74%)
03./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥7.800) - 32.784 / 174.153 (-77%)
04./04. [PS3] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥6.800) - 19.151 / 72.305 (-64%)

A pretty good hold for Dragon Quest Builders

05./03. [WIU] Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.01.28} (¥4.700) - 17.856 / 73.187 (-68%)

Ultra Smash might have outsold it's US numbers already.

06./09. [3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800) - 13.391 / 2.674.914 (-21%)
07./13. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 11.816 / 1.240.225 (-11%)
08./15. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5) {2015.07.11} (¥4.600) - 10.171 / 2.193.737 (-9%)
09./16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 8.926 / 651.150 (-17%)

The legs keep going. Fairly small drops.
Surprising that Splatoon did not drop further considering the supply problems. I know it doesn't have a bundle anymore but still.

14./19. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥5.700) - 6.134 / 790.345 (-22%)
It's certainly seems to affect Mario Maker and it's bundle.

Welfare

Wii U stock situation is that bad? Wow.

Wondering if this problems will lead to Wii U shortages in US and Europe too.

The Wii U did better in Japan over the holidays compared to 2014, while in the US sales were down YoY. I don't think Nintendo were expecting sales to be as good as they were in Japan.

z0m3le

Banned
Can i understand what the hell mean "it's not so bad" to "ok" to "this is somewhat good" sales?

Wii U in Japan is a huge flop, and For huge i mean HUGE, let's be serius withouth that Splatoon / Mario Maker moment Wii U Always sold Like crap, maybe just in the holidays 2013 it sold good but when all is well and done, Wii U is a super fail. Not even Close to "it's not so bad", "ok", "this is somewhat good".

And no, doesn't matter if the japanese console market, those numbers remain atrocius, just Like in the test of world, it won't even outsell GameCube.

"It's not so bad" is comparing it to the Gamecube, Wii U's life might be cut short this year but if it had a 5 year run without a successor, it would almost certainly outsell the Gamecube's 4.04 million. World wide numbers for Wii U are pretty bad, compared to Gamecube's 21.74 million.

At this point in Gamecube's life, it had sold just over 18 million, Wii U is just under 13 million. It will likely sell 2 to 3 million this year and up to 1 million more after the NX is out, putting it's total sales at about 18 million world wide if NX launches this year and as much as 20 million if NX launches holiday 2017. (this is suggesting a similar exit to the market that gamecube had)

Saw that Wii U number and was shocked until I read about the shortages. Either way, it's been a good start to the year for Sony hardware and not so great for Nintendo. Still glad to see Splatoon back in the top 10. I would love to see it in the top 10 all the way to May (one year after release), but I doubt that will happen.

Vena

Well there will be Persona 5 during summer and Yakuza 6 during fall that should counter MGSV. Then FFXV as a extra and as a biggest of all. Otherwise too PS4 could have better line up during latter half of the year compared to last year (hard to say yet as we don't know release dates for many many games). PS4 will also definitely see another price cut this year. It's getting global price cuts and Sony will not go trough next holiday with $349 price point in west. Maybe even Slim model that should give a nice one week boost at the very least. VR could also be wild card. I still expect notable rise (if you count 300-400k as a notable).

Given the declines of Yakuza, I can't say I think it alone counters MGSV. I'd sooner say P5 and Y6 will be > MGSV but neither alone will be above it or be as impacting as it. MGSV is/was also a very unique title with a big audience, but Yakuza has already had multiple Yakuza releases on the PS4.

FFXV is still such a wild card. I have no doubt it will do well, I just have no idea how it will do. I expect a notable decline from 13 in both software and hardware relevance. I don't expect a Slim, though, because this year will be VR marketing year and introducing multiple new things at once is usually not a good way to introduce your new, volatile tech. They'll want all focus on the VR unit, and may couple it with a price cut but I don't expect it to come with refreshed hardware as well. The Slim would be the year after and come with VR bundles.

300k isn't notable to me, not in Year 3 which is generally peak year and with a slew of the "will save Japan" releases after last years "will save Japan" software didn't save Japan.

Anth0ny

"It's not so bad" is comparing it to the Gamecube, Wii U's life might be cut short this year but if it had a 5 year run without a successor, it would almost certainly outsell the Gamecube's 4.04 million. World wide numbers for Wii U are pretty bad, compared to Gamecube's 21.74 million.

At this point in Gamecube's life, it had sold just over 18 million, Wii U is just under 13 million. It will likely sell 2 to 3 million this year and up to 1 million more after the NX is out, putting it's total sales at about 18 million world wide if NX launches this year and as much as 20 million if NX launches holiday 2017. (this is suggesting a similar exit to the market that gamecube had)

you are WAY overestimating the wii u

I doubt Wii U hits 15 million worldwide no matter what year the NX drops

Attack on Titan is not a Musou game.

I did wonder about this. Aside from the fact that it's in musou-sized arenas by the looks of things (except being much more open thanks to the 3DM gear), this is like the least-musou-looking game Omega Force have developed since... Toukiden? (which also had the same small-arenas style design for maps).

I mean, I'm not saying they're changing massively, but Omega Force are doing better at expanding development in the past few years. In the PS3 gen (aside from side-projects like Trinity) everything seemed just like reskinned musou. So Gundam Musou; One Piece Musou; Fist of the North Star Musou etc. This gen, they at least seem to be doing things a bit differently. So Dragon Quest Heroes still had a similar template, but did things a bit differently. While you can kinda still see the Omega-Force-esque game in AoT, I think it looks different enough.

jariw

Is there any word no when the Wii U hardware issue are going to be fixed on the retail side? Is it confirmed that it's the Mitsumi factory that has the delivery problems?

sense

Given the declines of Yakuza, I can't say I think it alone counters MGSV. I'd sooner say P5 and Y6 will be > MGSV but neither alone will be above it or be as impacting as it. MGSV is/was also a very unique title with a big audience, but Yakuza has already had multiple Yakuza releases on the PS4.

FFXV is still such a wild card. I have no doubt it will do well, I just have no idea how it will do. I expect a notable decline from 13 in both software and hardware relevance. I don't expect a Slim, though, because this year will be VR marketing year and introducing multiple new things at once is usually not a good way to introduce your new, volatile tech. They'll want all focus on the VR unit, and may couple it with a price cut but I don't expect it to come with refreshed hardware as well. The Slim would be the year after and come with VR bundles.

300k isn't notable to me, not in Year 3 which is generally peak year and with a slew of the "will save Japan" releases after last years "will save Japan" software didn't save Japan.
What is the minimum it needs to be for it to be notable.you always look like you are trying to downplay whatever sales it gets. It is obviously doing better than the dead status ps4 was given when it first came out.

Yakuza 6 will be the first numbered sequel for the franchise in many years and will be the first PS4 exclusive Yakuza (in contrast MGSV was cross gen) with clear graphical and gameplay updates to the franchise. It will sell way more than these spinoffs and prequels imo. We shall see.

Your point about VR being focus this year and that postponing Slim is a very valid. Will be definitely interesting to see will the VR have a notable hw impact (well at least during release week it should). Price could be a barrier but if it's appealing enough I still think it could have decent long term impact. This is just me though.

400k increase would put it around the same numbers as PS3 did during its best years. While not of course ''saving Japan'' numbers those would be in line with home console market since 2009 so I would call them good at least.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well it started Q1 better than last year (and the price is cheaper) but we go into slaughter season on a weak schedule for two to three weeks. And, looking at the Vita, I don't think DQB is going to give much of a sustained hardware push to anything after this week. Though I don't think it was quite intended for AoT and SFV to be pre-order non-existent.

Funnily enough, if you moved the hardware boost of the DQH to 2015 rather than its weird pre-order time of holidays 2014, we'd basically be flat YoY so far with coinciding DQ spin-offs since the gap YoY is only ~20k.

That's not true at all. The PS4 is up YoY by about 10k to 20k on a weekly base since it pricecut at the beginning of oktober. With the only exeption of the DQH bundle week. There is nothing flat about the PS4 performance. If anything it manage to hold up its numbers pretty strong.

Vena

That's not true at all. The PS4 is up YoY by about 10k to 20k on a weekly base since it pricecut at the beginning of oktober. With the only exeption of the DQH bundle week. There is nothing flat about the PS4 performance. If anything it manage to hold up its numbers pretty strong.

I think you missed my point, and then completely twisted it into something else entirely. YTD and LYTD are, when you add the DQH bundle from December 2014, within earshot of one another. It wasn't meant to mean anything more than that, because i thought it was an interesting coincidence that, with two DQ spin-offs, we have similar overall sums.

Yakuza 6 will be the first numbered sequel for the franchise in many years and will be the first PS4 exclusive Yakuza (in contrast MGSV was cross gen) with clear graphical and gameplay updates to the franchise. It will sell way more than these spinoffs and prequels imo. We shall see.

Your point about VR being focus this year and that postponing Slim is a very valid. Will be definitely interesting to see will the VR have a notable hw impact (well at least during release week it should). Price could be a barrier but if it's appealing enough I still think it could have decent long term impact. This is just me though.

400k increase would put it around the same numbers as PS3 did during its best years. While not of course ''saving Japan'' numbers those would be in line with home console market since 2009 so I would call them good at least.

I don't disagree on whether or not it will sell, I do however believe that the various spin-offs have already moved sizable population chunks. Yakuza 6 is a known quantity, it sales will be distributed over the run-up to release. Add in the fact that spin-offs have already moved groups already, and you get a less pronounced affect. I reference this regularly. Same reason Sm4sh didn't exactly light the charts on fire over its holiday release on WiiU. You can apply this to every series with a lot of spin-offs, diminishing returns will simply kick in sooner or later. And I also expect Y6 to continue the series decline (in Japan).

Oh if it does 400k rise, that's a better deal. I just don't expect it and as such don't expect a notable rise YoY. (Also I still don't like these comparisons to the PS3, it didn't exist in a dead market and had competition.)

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think you missed my point, and then completely twisted it into something else entirely. YTD and LYTD are, when you add the DQH bundle from December 2014, within earshot of one another. It wasn't meant to mean anything more than that, because i thought it was an interesting coincidence that, with two DQ spin-offs, we have similar overall sums.

But you know as well as me that the YTD numbers are a bit out of wack this year. Could you make the same point while using Famitsu numbers? I don't think your are mean or anything (lol), but imo it's a strange and bit of a selective comparison to make.

jjonez18

Lol. Japan doesn't want to save itself :p. But, in my eyes, as long as they fight off the same declines every other console has seen generation over generation then the PS4 and those "will save Japan" games are doing their jobs. An extra 300k-400k would put it up there with the PS3's best years. Then it's got more major titles in the pipeline than just FFXIII and sequels, as the PS3 had. Even if FFXV fails to meet expectations, there's still KHIII, FFVII, Dragon Quest as 2017 and beyond. Probably safe to say PS4 won't last 10 years, but at least it will function at that somewhat decent PS3 level (SW and HW wise) for sometime as opposed to following the trend of death. Just my (rare) two cents.

Vena

But you know as well as me that the YTD numbers are a bit out of wack this year. Could you make the same point while using Famitsu numbers? I don't think your are mean or anything (lol), but imo it's a strange and bit of a selective comparison to make.

Actually this is where the mistake comes in for me! I completely forgot about the skew from Week 53. So the gap of dates will move the LTD further apart.

z0m3le

Banned
you are WAY overestimating the wii u

I doubt Wii U hits 15 million worldwide no matter what year the NX drops

Don't take that 20 million as where I expect it, I think that is the max it could possibly sell, that is with a price drop, a couple more system sellers and a 2017 holiday nx launch.

GameCube however did sell another million after holiday 2006, 15 million is pretty much the minimum of where Wii U will go, considering it is already at ~12.7 million world wide right now. My expected numbers for eol is ~16.5 million. That being 15 million+ by the end of the year plus about a year of lingering sales like the GameCube.

impact

Banned

The only thing I get from this is Japan had no respect for the Gamecube. It was a great console!

I don't disagree on whether or not it will sell, I do however believe that the various spin-offs have already moved sizable population chunks. Yakuza 6 is a known quantity, it sales will be distributed over the run-up to release. Add in the fact that spin-offs have already moved groups already, and you get a less pronounced affect. I reference this regularly. Same reason Sm4sh didn't exactly light the charts on fire over its holiday release on WiiU. You can apply this to every series with a lot of spin-offs, diminishing returns will simply kick in sooner or later. And I also expect Y6 to continue the series decline (in Japan).

Oh if it does 400k rise, that's a better deal. I just don't expect it and as such don't expect a notable rise YoY.

Smash on WiiU didn't sell as much as Melee (better comparison point than Brawl considering the situation of WiiU) solely because the title was also on 3DS. Platform in different market space (handheld) and the two have probably very big overlap of users so some with both went with the portable offering. I really don't see the comparison to Yakuza that has been cross gen that means people buying these games for PS3 simply don't yet have PS4 so there is not a overlap. Looking at even these recent Yakuza Kiwami sales it seems there is still decent userbase only on PS3 that could jump on board with first proper exclusive. Not to mention that I expect that there is pretty big sleeping audience that has been waiting for the proper sequel. With Yakuza 6 we will see if the series really has declined that much compared to Yakuza 5.

The only thing I get from this is Japan had no respect for the Gamecube. It was a great console!
Biggest bomba region for GC was Europe like it will be for WiiU too (Shipments for WiiU in Europe are only slightly ahead of Japan (like with GC) and the market itself for home consoles is way way bigger).

Bebpo

Banned
3 pages in and no one is even talking about the #1 selling new release for the week.

So how do those Naruto sales stack up? This is the first time the series has gone ps4 only. Might be an indicator for if Japan is ready to drop PS3 versions anytime soon.

Mory Dunz

I think the yso predicton for msrio tennis this wewk had an avg of 30k or something. That kind of hold would've been really shocking. Not surprised it didn't happen.

horuhe

This week's releases {2016.02.10}

[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final <RPG> (Atlus) (¥6.480)
f2U4KBy.jpg

06e9uaZ.jpg

S7XH0Xw.jpg

[PS4] Valkyria Chronicles Remastered <SLG> (Sega) (¥4.990)

3 pages in and no one is even talking about the #1 selling new release for the week.

So how do those Naruto sales stack up? This is the first time the series has gone ps4 only. Might be an indicator for if Japan is ready to drop PS3 versions anytime soon.

[PS3[ Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm: 44,065 {2009.01.15}
[PS3] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2: 63.675 (2010.10.21}
[PS3] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3: 87.661 {2013.04.18}
[PS4] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: 64.446 {2016.02.04}

So less than 3 but overall in line with the series.

mao2

[PS3[ Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm: 44,065 {2009.15.01}
[PS3] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2: 63.675 (2010.21.10}
[PS3] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3: 87.661 {2013.04.18}
[PS4] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: 64.446 {2016.02.04}

So less than 3 but overall in line with the series.
[PS3] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generation: 65.758 {2012.02.23}
[PS3] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution: 40.180 {2014.09.11}

Whoops forgot about Generation. :p

Celine

It's a Naruto game (a known quantity) and the result is nothing spectacular thus no one care for.

Vena

Smash on WiiU didn't sell as much as Melee (better comparison point than Brawl considering the situation of WiiU) solely because the title was also on 3DS. Platform in different market space (handheld) and the two have probably very big overlap of users so some with both went with the portable offering. I really don't see the comparison to Yakuza that has been cross gen that means people buying these games for PS3 simply don't yet have PS4 so there is not a overlap. Looking at even these recent Yakuza Kiwami sales it seems there is still decent userbase only on PS3 that could jump on board with first proper exclusive. Not to mention that I expect that there is pretty big sleeping audience that has been waiting for the proper sequel. With Yakuza 6 we will see if the series really has declined that much compared to Yakuza 5.

The point was about known quantity releases, I could have picked Mario or anything else for that matter except Splatoon. The crux is that titles like this are known and the more spin-offs and minor titles that precede them, the less the affect of the ultimate release of the mainline because of granular transitions over time. Not every spin-off appeals to every fan but with enough spin-offs, you'll rope in a sizable chunk of the base to upgrade (and the spin-offs/remakes aren't exactly earth shatteringly unique). This is coupled with the belief in a decline of the series in Japan.

The original point I was trying to make was that Y6, alone and from compounding factors, was/is not going to match to what MGSV did alone even though it was cross platform. MGSV is a unique beast with many of its fans not exactly having a reason to shift or pick up a new platforms before its arrival. It had a "demo" release early on but it generally has little else like it as a point of moving audience. That's why when it launched it shot the system up by nearly 40k in hardware that week.

I may ultimately be wrong but this is my reasoning.

It did well. 80K copies were shipped to Japan so it sold through the bulk of the shipment.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Actually this is where the mistake comes in for me! I completely forgot about the skew from Week 53. So the gap of dates will move the LTD further apart.

Yeah easy mistake to make, but the YTD numbers will be more trustworthy the further we get in the year. The coming period will be pretty interesting for comparisons: 2014/ launch+ post launch period, 2015/ pretty strong software line up. I wonder how 2016 stacks up.

gtj1092

A ~25% increase in sales isn't notable? What's the average increase in sales from year 2 to 3?

Total sales is not bad AT ALL, but being on three different platforms makes it look less impressive.

PS3 is dead in Japan now, brah. Has been since Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain had been released over there since September 2nd of last year.

Even games like Star Ocean 5 & Persona 5 will sell more on PS4.

As far as Vita goes, it's going to most likely be overshadowed by the NX handheld once that comes out.

Vena

Yeah easy mistake to make, but the YTD numbers will be more trustworthy the further we get in the year. The coming period will be pretty interesting for comparisons: 2014/ launch+ post launch period, 2015/ pretty strong software line up. I wonder how 2016 stacks up.

Indeed I feel silly.

But I'm also bummed because it had looked like such a weird coincidence.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think the yso predicton for msrio tennis this wewk had an avg of 30k or something. That kind of hold would've been really shocking. Not surprised it didn't happen.

It' not very far from what was predicted

Week 5, 2016 (Feb 1 - Feb 7)

YSO predictions

01. [PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 < 65k (average 55k)
02. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo < 45k (average 40k)
03. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo < 35k (average 30k)
03. [WIU] Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash < 35k (average 30k)

Famitsu Sales: Week 6, 2016 (Feb 01 - Feb 07)

01./00. [PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.02.04} (¥7.600) - 55.414 / NEW <60-80%>
02./01. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo # <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥5.980) - 46.219 / 222.362 <80-100%> (-74%)
03./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥7.800) - 32.274 / 170.168 <80-100%> (-77%)
04./03. [WIU] Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.01.28} (¥4.700) - 23.411 / 83.228 <60-80%> (-61%)

hiska-kun

Today is a national holiday in Japan. You can expect some increases or minor drops for next week.

Hmmm, the Wii U situation explains Mario Maker's quick drop off these past few weeks since that's one of the bundles available.

Exactly. As I said a lot of times before, Mario Maker bundled Set isn't limited, so the game should hold on the rankings and sell in line with the hardware. If hardware drops, the game will as well.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Code:
+--+----------+----------+
|  |  MCreate |  MCreate |
|  |    PS4   |    PS4   |
|Wk|2015.01.05|2016.01.04|
|  |    to    |    to    |
|  |2016.01.03|2017.01.01|
+--+----------+----------+
| 1|    19.118|    36.559|
| 2|    15.480|    25.592|