• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2016 (Feb 01 - Feb 07)

Mory Dunz

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 6 2016

01./00. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final <RPG> (Atlus)
02./02. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix)
03./00. [PS4] Valkyria Chronicles Remastered <SLG> (Sega)
04./01. [PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
05./03. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix)
06./04. [PS3] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix)
07./05. [WIU] Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash <SPT> (Nintendo)
08./08. [3DS] Monster Hunter X <ACT> (Capcom)
09./06. [PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami <ADV> (Sega)
10./07. [PS3] Yakuza: Kiwami <ADV> (Sega)
11./12. [3DS] Monster Strike <RPG> (Mixi)
12./09. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
13./11. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
14./10. [3DS] Hyrule Warriors Legends <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
15./13. [PS4] Just Cause 3 <ACT> (Square Enix)
16./18. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ADV> (Ubisoft)
17./17. [WIU] Super Mario Maker <ETC> (Nintendo)
18./22. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team <ACT> (Level 5)
19./14. [PS4] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo)
20./23. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment)

mario tennis huh

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think a good comparison for SFV should be this one :

[PS3] Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (2011/2/17) - 66.921 / 101.292

both games were not released as arcade, even if I was checking SFIV and I noticed it just did a slight better...

[PS3] Street Fighter IV (2009/2/12) - 84.937 / 157.704
[PS3] Super Street Fighter IV (2010/4/28) - 80.103 / 159.558

You leave out 360 versions and a big part of sales for SFIV.

mao2

Thats because 6 SKUs are only available in smaller numbers and only at certain stores isnt it? 4 of them i Sony store and 2 of them in Capcom's online store?
The 4 Sony Store exclusive Street Fighter V Special Packs do not include the game.
http://www.sony.jp/playstation/store/special/ps4/sfv/
&#8251;&#26412;&#21830;&#21697;&#12395;PS4®&#23554;&#29992;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488;&#12302;&#12473;&#12488;&#12522;&#12540;&#12488;&#12501;&#12449;&#12452;&#12479;&#12540;V&#12303;&#12399;&#20184;&#23646;&#12375;&#12390;&#12362;&#12426;&#12414;&#12379;&#12435;&#12290;&#12354;&#12425;&#12363;&#12376;&#12417;&#12372;&#20102;&#25215;&#12367;&#12384;&#12373;&#12356;

Oregano

Mokubba

I don't understand SFV.

Ultra sold 43K on the first week and that is what, the 3rd major update to the game but the brand new sequel from the looks of it doesn't have that much hype.

Baffling to me

I don't understand SFV.

Ultra sold 43K on the first week and that is what, the 3rd major update to the game but the brand new sequel from the looks of it doesn't have that much hype.

Baffling to me

Fighting genre popularity is decreasing, plus installed base and established fanbase played a role. The vanilla SFIV sold 210k units across PS3 and 360, so not a lot to begin with.

NeonZ

I don't understand SFV.

Baffling to me

Small cast list, feature lacking game at launch, visuals that don't really stand out for a current gen game...

Really, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a SF3 situation all over again at this point. Maybe I'll end up wrong, but I'll be really surprised if they can meet their expectations of 2 millions worldwide in a couple of months. At the very least, it seems like a failure in Japan already.

Mokubba

Fighting genre popularity is decreasing, plus installed base and established fanbase played a role. The vanilla SFIV sold 210k units across PS3 and 360, so not a lot to begin with.

Yea, I know the genre is decreasing but 210K to something like 50K is a big drop. That would have been understandable if Ultra didn't sell what it did.

Would install base play a part for the 4th version of a game? I would assume that the only people who bought Ultra were people who had the previous games with hardly any new players.

That is why I thought the guys who bought Ultra would buy SFV so to me 50K would have been the absolute minimum.

Anything below 100K will be disappointing IMO.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Both AoT and SFV are actually way lower than I have figured just few weeks ago, in terms of pre-orders. Let's see how they will actually perform

Yikes. Where did everyone go?

people change their taste, people stopped playing videogames, there are a lot of reasons

10-15 years ago how many racing games were published ? and how many now ?

10 years ago I clearly remember trains in Japan filled with people playing with DS or PSP, now they all watch their own mobile

maybe in 10 years games like monster hunter won't be so popular as they are now

I don't think they will, there's been so little buzz around its release. Compare SFV to... well, oddly, The Witness or Firewatch. Those had a lot more noise about them for a lot longer and right up and until release in the PC community (never mind a game like XCOM). The lack of arcade hurts in Japan, the lack of content hurts it everywhere else especially on steam where choice is plentiful and waiting is easy.

There's just no buzz on the title, and, heck, I'd say that is the case the world over. But their estimates (2 mil) are so low that I'd be amazed if they didn't pass them even if they had to do it by channel stuffing.

Crazy talk , i don't expect SFV to sell as good as SFIV even more so at retail .
But saying witness or firewatch had more buzz is crazy .
We had threads for characters , betas , DLC etc etc all of them very active .
The buzz is there for SFV not as big as SFIV but it is there .

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A few Square Enix mobile notes:

1.) Square Enix seems to be making a Final Fantasy XV game for mobile, which is presumably a spin-off title. The newest resume listings make it clear this is a game as opposed to a companion app, and is probably a smart move given how the Japanese market is currently: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195332969&postcount=13

2.) On the Final Fantasy mobile note, Brave Exvius and Grandmasters seem to be trending upward recently, and both Record Keeper and Mobius seem to be sustaining their recent performance trends. It seems the brand is finally having some good success on mobile after a long history of failed titles.

3.) Brave Exvius actually got up to #3 on the top grossing charts, seemingly due to this Lightning event. "All hail the goddess" and such forth: http://app.famitsu.com/20160215_654652/, Edit: It seems there's a few Brave Exvius things going on right now due to Valentine's Day as well.

4.) Grimms Note is now at 5 million downloads. I think this might actually be one of the fastest downloaded mobile games of all time for the Japanese market, at least as far as games that actually make these announcements: http://app.famitsu.com/20160215_654498/

L~A

Yea, I know the genre is decreasing but 210K to something like 50K is a big drop. That would have been understandable if Ultra didn't sell what it did.

Would install base play a part for the 4th version of a game? I would assume that the only people who bought Ultra were people who had the previous games with hardly any new players.

That is why I thought the guys who bought Ultra would buy SFV so to me 50K would have been the absolute minimum.

Anything below 100K will be disappointing IMO.

SFV will clear 100k units, though. 210k is the LTD, while 50k are expectations for the first week.

A few Square Enix mobile notes:

1.) Square Enix seems to be making a Final Fantasy XV game for mobile, which is presumably a spin-off title. The newest resume listings make it clear this is a game as opposed to a companion app, and is probably a smart move given how the Japanese market is currently: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195332969&postcount=13

2.) On the Final Fantasy mobile note, Brave Exvius and Grandmasters seem to be trending upward recently, and both Record Keeper and Mobius seem to be sustaining their recent performance trends. It seems the brand is finally having some good success on mobile after a long history of failed titles.

3.) Brave Exvius actually got up to #3 on the top grossing charts, seemingly due to this Lightning event. "All hail the goddess" and such forth: http://app.famitsu.com/20160215_654652/, Edit: It seems there's a few Brave Exvius things going on right now due to Valentine's Day as well.

4.) Grimms Note is now at 5 million downloads. I think this might actually be one of the fastest downloaded mobile games of all time for the Japanese market, at least as far as games that actually make these announcements: http://app.famitsu.com/20160215_654498/

5.) Alice Order could be recovering after a so-so launch. It's currently #48 on top grossing list. Best position since... ever?

6.) Fortune Tellers Academy released today! http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2016/html/5c29997697369638f6364061291f5409.html

Vena

Crazy talk , i don't expect SFV to sell as good as SFIV even more so at retail .
But saying witness or firewatch had more buzz is crazy .
We had threads for characters , betas , DLC etc etc all of them very active .
The buzz is there for SFV not as big as SFIV but it is there .

I am not talking about GAF's echo-chamber. If you were to go by threads and endless roster discussions, you'd start thinking SFV was going to open at Smash numbers.

Of course its impossible to actually quantify and present "buzz" as anything more than hearsay/anecdotal.

I am not talking about GAF's echo-chamber. If you were to go by threads and endless roster discussions, you'd start thinking SFV was going to open at Smash numbers.

Of course its impossible to actually quantify and present "buzz" as anything more than hearsay/anecdotal.
Lies, SFV did not get 18 full pre-release OTs :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
5.) Alice Order could be recovering after a so-so launch. It's currently #48 on top grossing list. Best position since... ever?

6.) Fortune Tellers Academy released today! http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2016/html/5c29997697369638f6364061291f5409.html
Square does seem a lot better at repairing games over time these days as well. Historically their updates never really ended up helping, or only for a very limited time, so I'm curious to see if they can get Alice Order working since it's one of the first lower-opening titles since their hotstreak started.

As for Fortune Tellers Academy, that one is quite interesting since I believe it is their first mobile game that targets women primarily, though is presumably more outside their current wheelhouse.

I assume they mean that people might be feedback looping sales projection negativity.

SFV wasn't in people's minds for 5 years, lol.

?_?
Those who hype up SFV to the extreme and making it seem like it would sell like Smash. Those who are doing all they can to undersell it and make it seem like it will be one of the worst sellers ever.

As you said, Gaf isn't necessarily indicative of anything. In terms of promotion, I've seen a few SFV commercials here and there. The marketing doesn't seem to be anything grand.

Vena

Those who hype up SFV to the extreme and making it seem like it would sell like Smash. Those who are doing all they can to undersell it and make it seem like it will be one of the worst sellers ever.

As you said, Gaf isn't necessarily indicative of anything. In terms of promotion, I've seen a few SFV commercials here and there. The marketing doesn't seem to be anything grand.

Oh I see.

Yes, this is also a valid claim/complaint. That being said, I'd at least like to think that my underselling it isn't baseless and is based on somewhat quantifiable presentations such as the one in this thread.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The marketing cycle for Yo-Kai Sangokushi has begun with a new trailer and some feature announcements: http://gematsu.com/2016/02/yo-kai-sangokushi-debut-trailer

The 3DS crossover between Yo-kai Watch and Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a strategy game that puts yo-kai in the roles of famous military commanders, who must fight for the unification of &#8220;Sakura Country.&#8221; Over 400 yo-kai will appear and both local and online multiplayer with up to four players will be supported.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EesCGV6PSZQ

---

I think Sega's partnership with Gumi for releasing their Japanese mobile games overseas may have also ended.

Monster Gear's English version is published by Sega directly: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.monstergear.ww&hl=en

HGH

Banned
Considering the fate of Chain Chronicle internationally, that's not surprising.

Say, since you mentioned an event above, does Valentines do much on mobile rankings?

Aki-at

I think Sega's partnership with Gumi for releasing their Japanese mobile games overseas may have also ended.

Monster Gear's English version is published by Sega directly: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.monstergear.ww&hl=en

Seemed like it was the natural course after they finished restructuring themselves, they were mentioning in their Sega Networks presentations how they were setting up branches in places like the Philippines for localisations. Sen No Kaizoku seemed to be the first big mobile game they themselves brought over and I guess Hortensia Saga is next.

Be interesting to see if they're going to try anything with the Chain Chronicle IP internationally now that Gumi is closing down operations at the end of February.

I finally updated all current system charts.

PS4
DQB got 3 positions and entered the top10, CoD:BO3 is just a little step to overtake DQH; Rainbow Six Siege, released in December and still charting had its tie-ratio moving under 40%, just 2 games have a lower score (Battlefield 4 and FIFA14), very long legs.

PSV
Same as in the PS4 chart, DQB enters the top10, no more significative events, Gundam Extreme grabbed another 2 positions, at least it wasn't another "JoJo bomba" despite the initial bad word of mouth (partially saved by the latest update)

3DS
Despite the recent come back into the chart Pokemon ORAS will be soon passed by Monster Hunter X while Monster Strike has now Dragon Quest Monsters on its target.
Rhythm Heaven The Best + keeps going on, another "plus" version has been passed, Nintendogs.

Wii U
Splatoon passed the 1,2mln milestone but all the lights are for Mario Tennis Ultra Smash which managed a good second week: most of N titles on Wii U have a 30% tie-ratio so 200k could be doable ?

PS3
Yakuza Kiwami is still the top seller game for PS3 in 2016 but DQB is ready to take the crown, nothing else to highlight, just Romance of Three Kingdoms 13 showed some legs as it did on PS4.

XBO
The most difficult chart to update every week by hands down.

Actually I'm working on Wii chart, I should finish in the next days (and there should be some entries I found in Famitsu White Book 2011 and 2012, I'll highlight them for Chris1964 and his database).
The big deal is DS chart, I hope my macbook and its 4Gb of RAM can handle it :D

horuhe

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 6, 2016 (Feb 08 - Feb 14)

01./00. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final <RPG> (Atlus)
02./01. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders <ADV> (Square Enix)
03./00. [PS4] Valkyria Chronicles Remastered <SLG> (Sega)
04./03. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders <ADV> (Square Enix)
05./04. [WiiU] Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash <SPT> (Nintendo)
06./05. [PS3] Dragon Quest Builders <ADV> (Square Enix)
07./02. [PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
08./06. [3DS] Monster Hunter X <ACT> (Capcom)
09./07. [WiiU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
10./08. [3DS] Monster Strike <RPG> (Mixi)
11./09. [PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami <ADV> (Sega)
12./11. [WiiU] Super Mario Maker <ACT> (Nintendo)
13./12. [3DS] Hyrule Warriors Legends <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
14./17. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team <ACT> (Level 5)
15./18. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5)
16./10. [PS3] Yakuza: Kiwami <ADV> (Sega)
17./13. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
18./15. [PSV] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir <ACT> (Atlus)
19./19. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo)
16./20. [PS4] Fallout 4 <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks)

------

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 6, 2016 (Feb 08 - Feb 14)

01./02. [PS4] Attack on Titan <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
02./03. [PSV] Attack on Titan <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
03./12. [PS4] Project Setsuna <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./06. [PS3] Attack on Titan <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
05./05. [PS4] Street Fighter V <FTG> (Capcom)
06./19. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
07./04. [PS4] Dark Souls III <RPG> (From Software)
08./10. [PS4] Gundam Breaker 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
09./07. [3DS] Yo-Kai Romance of the Three Kingdoms <ACT> (Level 5)
10./08. [WiiU] Pókken Tournament <FTG> (Bandai Namco)

*Sorry for the delay, I was out for a couple of days.

I finally updated all current system charts.

PS4
DQB got 3 positions and entered the top10, CoD:BO3 is just a little step to overtake DQH; Rainbow Six Siege, released in December and still charting had its tie-ratio moving under 40%, just 2 games have a lower score (Battlefield 4 and FIFA14), very long legs.

PSV
Same as in the PS4 chart, DQB enters the top10, no more significative events, Gundam Extreme grabbed another 2 positions, at least it wasn't another "JoJo bomba" despite the initial bad word of mouth (partially saved by the latest update)

3DS
Despite the recent come back into the chart Pokemon ORAS will be soon passed by Monster Hunter X while Monster Strike has now Dragon Quest Monsters on its target.
Rhythm Heaven The Best + keeps going on, another "plus" version has been passed, Nintendogs.

Wii U
Splatoon passed the 1,2mln milestone but all the lights are for Mario Tennis Ultra Smash which managed a good second week: most of N titles on Wii U have a 30% tie-ratio so 200k could be doable ?

PS3
Yakuza Kiwami is still the top seller game for PS3 in 2016 but DQB is ready to take the crown, nothing else to highlight, just Romance of Three Kingdoms 13 showed some legs as it did on PS4.

XBO
The most difficult chart to update every week by hands down.

Actually I'm working on Wii chart, I should finish in the next days (and there should be some entries I found in Famitsu White Book 2011 and 2012, I'll highlight them for Chris1964 and his database).
The big deal is DS chart, I hope my macbook and its 4Gb of RAM can handle it :D

Nice work on that database, thanks. Black Ops III drawing near Dragon Quest Heroes '.'

Sterok

The marketing cycle for Yo-Kai Sangokushi has begun with a new trailer and some feature announcements: http://gematsu.com/2016/02/yo-kai-sangokushi-debut-trailer

Alright, now that we have a better grasp on what it really is, what are reasonable expectations for this, and what do Level 5/KT probably expect from this? The obvious comparison is Pokemon Conquest, which opened at 172K. I think Yo-Kai can match that easily as long as it turns out good.

And on another note, it's weird going back to 2012 and seeing Mario Kart 7 at only 1.5 million when it's at 2.5 million 4 years later. Them legs don't kid around.

casiopao

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EesCGV6PSZQ

---

Considering how bad Gumi is handling Sega's mobile game, i am not surprised here. CC Global is filled with tons of bugs and glitches which end up souring the relation with both f2p players and whales. Sen no Kaizoku is quite popular right now though so maybe, it will be able to do as well as previous CC outside of Japan.

01./02. [PS4] Attack on Titan <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
02./03. [PSV] Attack on Titan <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
03./12. [PS4] Project Setsuna <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./06. [PS3] Attack on Titan <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
05./05. [PS4] Street Fighter V <FTG> (Capcom)
06./19. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
07./04. [PS4] Dark Souls III <RPG> (From Software)
08./10. [PS4] Gundam Breaker 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
09./07. [3DS] Yo-Kai Romance of the Three Kingdoms <ACT> (Level 5)
10./08. [WiiU] Pókken Tournament <FTG> (Bandai Namco)

*Sorry for the delay, I was out for a couple of days.

PS4 at #3 and Vita not even in the top 10? Yikes. At least Attack on Titan is keeping pace.

horuhe

PS4 at #3 and Vita not even in the top 10? Yikes. At least Attack on Titan is keeping pace.

In fact, that version didin't do that well on charts. It has always been in the positions betwteen 150 and 200 that translated into these charts would be out of the top 20. However, don't take this detail it too much seriously.

So, given how close the release date is - how much is SQEX realistically expecting from Project Setsuna? At the beginning, I thought that 180-200k could have been a realistic expectation; marketing and promotion didn't do much, so perhaps this was a signal of lower expectations, but do you think SQEX will pursue a sub-100k series on dedicated devices? Setsuna is the low-budget first entry of a wannabe-series, as stated by the company - what would the minimum threshold be to keep developing games in the franchise?

L~A

Looks like Famitsu has a feature about the PS4 2nd anniversary, with Top 20 for PS4 games.

#1 MGS V: TPP at 426k
#2 Knack at 401k

Something to look forward to.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, given how close the release date is - how much is SQEX realistically expecting from Project Setsuna? At the beginning, I thought that 180-200k could have been a realistic expectation; marketing and promotion didn't do much, so perhaps this was a signal of lower expectations, but do you think SQEX will pursue a sub-100k series on dedicated devices? Setsuna is the low-budget first entry of a wannabe-series, as stated by the company - what would the minimum threshold be to keep developing games in the franchise?
Well, Final Fantasy Explorers was a series that seemed to die in favor of this.

Given what this will do in Japan relative to that, I feel there's basically a 0% chance of it surviving on its Japanese sales alone.

It will either have to take off in the West, or the studio will likely be moved on to a different series.

This is something I've been wondering. Was there any marketing for this game in Japan? Something like TV/magazine ads, posters/trailers in stores, etc.?

Even the marketing budget seems to be so low. I really don't know what SE is expecting to achieve with this anymore. There's no guarantee that Setsuna will be a hit overseas.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Looks like Famitsu has a feature about the PS4 2nd anniversary, with Top 20 for PS4 games.

#1 MGS V: TPP at 426k
#2 Knack at 401k

Something to look forward to.

Knack not on top anymore, news of the century. Its dark reign is over.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is something I've been wondering. Was there any marketing for this game in Japan? Something like TV/magazine ads, posters/trailers in stores, etc.?

Even the marketing budget seems to be so low. I really don't know what SE is expecting to achieve with this anymore. There's no guarantee that Setsuna will be a hit overseas.

It's plausible they also did user testing/market research and lost faith in the project, but not enough to not ship it.

That happens from time to time at publishers. Essentially it's the scenario where you determine you will lose less money by shipping a project than canceling it near the end, but don't spend any money on promoting it since that will assuredly be wasted.

On the forum it's colloquially referred to as "sending a game to die".

It's plausible they also did user testing/market research and lost faith in the project, but not enough to not ship it.

That happens from time to time at publishers. Essentially it's the scenario where you determine you will lose less money by shipping a project than canceling it near the end, but don't spend any money on promoting it since that will assuredly be wasted.

That seems weird given how they assembled a team specifically for this game - therefore, SQEX had at least a mid-term business plan in mind.

Damn... lack of faith is the exact thing I didn't want to accept at this point but I guess it's possible all things considered.

Still, I hope the studio can work on another game after this. Perhaps it won't be a new IP though...

Top Bottom