• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2016 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

Datschge

If you consider something close to 500k big, then it could be big overseas.
Big enough for Bandai Namco to fund it essentially for the Western market only.

for Nintendo only.

as for Sony, launch aligned, PS4 is selling better than Vita.
Meaningless distinction when the market size as a whole is down the shitter.

So PS3 version selling most of its global content during PSN sales makes it "big" overseas...DS selling "only" 500k in Japan makes it a bomba ?

Yeah...no.

Was the DS version overshipped ? Yeah sure, but it still sold quite well even if the expectations were higher. Some of you make it look like it was a box-office movie type bomb that lost L5 alot of money and the miracle PS3 version saved it.
Your username seem familiar enough in Media Create threads that you should know better. Overshipped games don't turn into less of a bomb by managing to sell the shipment at bomba prices (case in point: Tales of the Tempest). And the DS version had bomba prices very quickly thanks to its included hardcover style book which made shops want to get rid of it asap to free up precious space. The success of Bandai Namco's international publishing ensured the sequel is primarily developed for the West.

If you think Ninokuni 2 has any relevancy in Japan you may want to look at its official Japanese website (featuring a couple English screenshots and two English trailers): http://www.ninokuni.jp/rk/

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./28. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2 # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.11.05} (¥5.690)
22./30. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥5.700)
23./25. [3DS] Beyblade Burst <RPG> (FuRyu) {2016.11.10} (¥5.780)
24./26. [WIU] Paper Mario: Color Splash <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.10.13} (¥5.700)
25./24. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories # <RPG> (Capcom) {2016.10.08} (¥5.800)
26./29. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter / Dragon Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2016.07.28} (¥4.800)
27./33. [3DS] PriPara Mezameyo! Megami no Dress Design # <ACT> (Takara Tomy) {2016.11.10} (¥5.400)
28./36. [3DS] 12-Sai. Koisuru Diary <ADV> (Happinet) {2016.08.04} (¥5.815)
29./16. [3DS] All Kamen Rider: Rider Revolution # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.12.01} (¥5.700)
30./34. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.04} (¥5.700)
31./27. [3DS] Aikatsu Stars! My Special Appeal <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.11.24} (¥5.300)
32./37. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥5.700)
33./41. [3DS] Super Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Kyuukyoku no Shinobu to Battle Player Choujou Kessen! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.09.15} (¥5.300)
34./44. [3DS] Tomodachi Life [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700)
35./32. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} (¥4.990)
36./18. [PS4] Battlefield 1 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2016.10.21} (¥7.800)
37./40. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.07.16} (¥4.800)
38./08. [3DS] Puyo Puyo Chronicle # <RPG> (Sega) {2016.12.08} (¥5.490)
39./46. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2015.11.19} (¥4.800)
40./00. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.02.18} (¥4.700)
41./00. [3DS] Akogare Girls Collection: Wan Nyan Doubutsu Byouin - Suteki na Juui-San ni Narou! <ADV> (Nippon Columbia) {2015.07.30} (¥4.800)
42./35. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.09.15} (¥7.600)
43./00. [PS4] Akiba's Beat <RPG> (Acquire) {2016.12.15} (¥7.200)
44./00. [PS4] Battle Garegga Rev.2016 <STG> (M2) {2016.12.15} (¥8.800)
45./50. [3DS] Akogare Girls Collection: Pika Pika Nurse Monogatari - Shounika Haitsumo Oosawagi <ADV> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.11.10} (¥4.800)
46./00. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.200)
47./20. [PSV] SD Gundam G Generation Genesis <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.11.22} (¥7.600)
48./39. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400)
49./23. [PS4] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare # <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2016.11.04} (¥7.900)
50./00. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven Megamix <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥4.700)

Top 50

3DS - 30
PS4 - 11
WIU - 6
PSV - 3

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |  1.441.000 |  1.127.000 |  1.960.000 | 29.490.000 | 34.395.000 |

hiska-kun

By the way, hiska-kun, can you share a graph for Kirby? Just noticed Robobot was nearing 500k, should end up around 600k LTD.

I can do a graph for Kirby, but comparing to what? Triple Deluxe wasn't charting at the same time, so a direct comparison is not possible.

L~A

I can do a graph for Kirby, but comparing to what? Triple Deluxe wasn't charting at the same time, so a direct comparison is not possible.

Ah, damn. Was wondering how it was doing compared to TD, since PR opened much lower but seems to have much better leg. I guess you would've posted it if you could make a graph.

What's the last known LTD data for Triple Deluxe, then?

MH5 will never be on PS4.

If with new generation they actually put decent amount of effort to presentation (as Switch will be able to run modern graphics) I really don't see why they shouldn't make it multiplatform. Yes most sales would came from handheld version but if PS4 version did something like even 500k globally that is free money for them.

If with new generation they actually put decent amount of effort to presentation (as Switch will be able to run modern graphics) I really don't see why they shouldn't make it multiplatform. Yes most sales would came from handheld version but if PS4 version did something like even 500k globally that is free money for them.

They dont want to split the userbase,i have zero faith in nintendo and sony working together to solve that issue, especially nintendo since the 3ds is getting the game no matter what.

I'm surprised people think Final Fantasy 7 Remake is coming out next year. I know it's the anniversary, but I don't even see Part 1 being ready until at least 2018.

Theres alot of reasons. People think that half the work is done because its a remake, they know its using UE4, and they think the 20th anniversary is too good of a release date to pass up, they are confused by the game being multiple parts and didnt see the interview where they said every part will be a 40 hour game.

They also dont realize that CC2 isnt working exclusively on 7 remake, they have other games in development.

L~A

Using MC Top 1000 for 2015 kirby was at 780k. Probably over 800k now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277070

Alright, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Looks like PR could end up around 600k LTD, so not too bad overall. Hopefully the next game goes for a broader audience.

Even Hajimerundesu appears in Top 50, a game for 2015. What a time to be alive for Sumikko.

Then the Switch entry will bomb with 25k LTD and we'll never hear about that series anymore.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I haven't done one of these charts in a very long time, but I wanted to illustrate how Super Mario Run never really took off in Japan the way it did in many Western countries:

supermariorunnpulg.png

Why was it not on Vita then?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I Am Setsuna will not be getting a sequel, but Tokyo RPG Factory will be making another new IP in a similar style (trying to evoke 90s JRPGs):

Gematsu said:
Are there plans to do anything more with this franchise? The world / characters and theme was very unique, so I was hoping to see / experience more of it through various mediums.

Usuke Kumagai: “We see I am Setsuna as a complete game in its own right and are not currently considering doing a direct sequel. However, we would like to continue making games based around the same core concepts. At Tokyo RPG Factory we set our objective for Project Setsuna as taking the unique appeal of the RPGs from the 90s and using a group of developers who loved those games to further evolve them as modern games.”
Source: http://gematsu.com/2016/12/setsuna-...-next-fan-interview-video#QSWZWUMG2413wG6v.99

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I haven't done one of these charts in a very long time, but I wanted to illustrate how Super Mario Run never really took off in Japan the way it did in many Western countries:
Get gacha or die tryin'

Yeah, I don't think this is a brand worth continuing given its financial and critical reception, even if it ended up marginally profitable.
Yeh, I was just pointing out that it sounds like typical PR speak when they say they won't make IMS sequel. If the game was a success, even if the story was done, they could have announced a sequel.

It is good to know that the studio is just not one and done kind of deal. Hopefully their next game is a success or whatever works best for SE.

Eolz

FF7R
DQ11
RE7
GTS
MH5 ;)
KH3 (lol)

There's gonna be some bad surprises (dates/sales) for some of those expectations...

Not enough monetization, angry investors at the next investors meeting confirmed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeh, I was just pointing out that it sounds like typical PR speak when they say they won't make IMS sequel. If the game was a success, even if the story was done, they could have announced a sequel.

It is good to know that the studio is just not one and done kind of deal. Hopefully their next game is a success or whatever works best for SE.

Square Enix's CEO said this in a Famitsu interview about Setsuna:

Cultivating a new IP is very important. This is my own personal view, but I believe that it is very difficult to immediately build up a big IP. Looking retrospectively at the gaming industry, many games take off or get their big break at their third title. There are cases where the opposite is true of course (Laugh).

But regardless, you need at least three games before you can tell whether an IP is going to be really successful or not. I call this my &#8220;Law of Third Titles (&#19977;&#20316;&#30446;&#12398;&#27861;&#21063;)&#8221; (Laugh). That&#8217;s why for the first and second games, you experiment to a degree where you can still be flexible, and if the series has grown enough to be able to expect a big hit for the third game, you expand the scale. If the third title is successful then all is well.

http://kotaku.com/square-enix-boss-thinks-new-games-need-multiple-sequels-1719455786

They definitely were planning to do sequels had it done better.

Not enough monetization, angry investors at the next investors meeting confirmed.
I suspect there won't be much investor commentary at the next briefing, since they'll almost assuredly be showing off f2p Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing before the Q&A section.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm just glad they're still able to make more RPGs, this seems like the best outcome after I am Setsuna. Hopefully their next game is a bit more successful.

BriBri

That's only position though, the actual revenue is key.

But #21 in Japan and it's definitely peaked. The investors definitely didn't buy yesterday's press release.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Maker is gonna build a platform straight to that 1m sales flag.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's only position though, the actual revenue is key.

But #21 in Japan and it's definitely peaked. The investors definitely didn't buy yesterday's press release.

Spot #1 in the US is usually around $1+ million a day, whereas below 10 in Japan is modestly into the six digit range at best.

The Japanese mobile game market is actually large than the US. I imagine there's some amount of population skewing (you can't really whale with Super Mario Run, so more unique buyers is more important than high profit buyers), but that's why I put a lot of the European charts on too.

That said, I don't think it's a huge issue for the game to struggle domestically if it makes a nice profit everywhere else, and it's still certainly bringing in some money in Japan.

I am rather curious to see how their first f2p game does in Japan however. We might see a reverse scenario with something like Fire Emblem.

rhandino

Banned
But regardless, you need at least three games before you can tell whether an IP is going to be really successful or not. I call this my &#8220;Law of Third Titles (&#19977;&#20316;&#30446;&#12398;&#27861;&#21063;)&#8221; (Laugh). That&#8217;s why for the first and second games, you experiment to a degree where you can still be flexible, and if the series has grown enough to be able to expect a big hit for the third game, you expand the scale. If the third title is successful then all is well.
Oh, so Bravely the 3rd is totally going to happen!

S-E redeemed!

BriBri

Spot #1 in the US is usually around $1+ million a day, whereas below 10 in Japan is modestly into the six digit range at best.

The Japanese mobile game market is actually large than the US. I imagine there's some amount of population skewing (you can't really whale with Super Mario Run, so more unique buyers is more important than high profit buyers), but that's why I put a lot of the European charts on too.

That said, I don't think it's a huge issue for the game to struggle domestically if it makes a nice profit everywhere else, and it's still certainly bringing in some money in Japan.

I am rather curious to see how their first f2p game does in Japan however. We might see a reverse scenario with something like Fire Emblem.
I have no doubts that its current position in Japan isn't taking in much and that investor concerns over sustainability at least have some merit, but I was referring to App Annie's report that the game grossed $3 million in Japan in its first 3 days which is definitely comparable to other markets.

I do feel the biggest success of the game hasn't truly been seen (the Pokémon GO effect of boosting dedicated device software and merchandise).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I have no doubts that its current position in Japan isn't taking in much and that investor concerns over sustainability at least have some merit, but I was referring to App Annie's report that the game grossed $3 million in Japan in its first 3 days which is definitely comparable to other markets.

I do feel the biggest success of the game hasn't truly been seen (the Pokémon GO effect of boosting dedicated device software and merchandise).
Oh, certainly. Even when you don't chart astoundingly high, you can make big money in Japan.

And yes, it's actually downloading very well (it's been #1 since it came out), which will be interesting to see if there's any major kickback into Super Mario Switch.

Interesting, thanks, any theories as to why it didn't?
I think some of it is just that games make a lot of money in Japan, and the other is that Japan probably has the most stringent of mobile game expectations due to the huge investment that goes into games there.

Edit:

Looking at the ratings, people seem a bit more negative in Japan than in markets where it's doing better: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/super-mario-run/ratings/

This is also true in Russia where it's not charting as well either for example.

Oregano

I think the Japanese mobile market is more competitive in general too though and as I said in one of the earlier threads similar level brands like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter don't really dominate either, especially the non-F2P releases.

Wow, FFXV might actually manage to crawl its way to 1 million, that'd be pretty cool.

How does the new Yokai Watch compare to the previous third versions in the series?

Also is anyone keeping a comparison chart for how Sun and Moon is performing compared to previous entries?

BriBri

I think the Japanese mobile market is more competitive in general too though and as I said in one of the earlier threads similar level brands like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter don't really dominate either, especially the non-F2P releases.
Hoshi no Dragon Quest is always constant in the top grossing charts. Monster Hunter is obviously an afterthought. The in-game controls are a huge issue.

Oregano

Hoshi no Dragon Quest is always constant in the top grossing charts. Monster Hunter is obviously an afterthought. The in-game controls are a huge issue.

Yeah, not being F2P obviously hurts more in Japan. I meant that SMR was expected an easy no.1 spot based on the brand but I don't think that is as easy in Japan.(even if it won't stay at no.1)

Ōkami

Dengeki

Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki sells 324.000 units, 70% sell through, 465.000 units shipped.

SaGa: Scarlet Grace sells 61.000 units, 60% sell through, 102.000 units shipped.

More than 8 million PlayStation 4 games sold for the year so far.

Capcom's F2P 3DS card game thing, Megami Meguri has been downloaded over 250.000 times, the premium physical release sold 3.000 on launch week.

BriBri

&#332;kami;227034156 said:
Capcom's F2P 3DS card game thing, Megami Meguri has been downloaded over 250.000 times, the premium physical release sold 3.0000 on launch week.
Is that 3,000 or 30,000? Thanks!

Somnid

I have my suspicions but is there any actual evidence to support the idea that Japanese whales are on the whole much larger than US whales? It just seems to fit a bunch of sales and cultural trends but I've never seen any figures.

Oh, so Bravely the 3rd is totally going to happen!

S-E redeemed!
I know you are being sarcastic but the quote states

That’s why for the first and second games, you experiment to a degree where you can still be flexible, and if the series has grown enough to be able to expect a big hit for the third game, you expand the scale. If the third title is successful then all is well.

The second game actual went towards the reverse leaving no room for a expanded third sequel.

rhandino

Banned
The second game actual went towards the reverse leaving no room for a expanded third sequel.
Only because S-E is a damn mess T_T

1st game was a success and if they build on it they could had another hit series in their hands but no, they decided to just pay their staff on cup noddles and Coleman products to pump Bravely Second with the bare minimum effort.

I am actually quite surprised that Second did not crashed and burned as much as I expected after the shaky 2nd half of BD and how the game looked like another Tales of Xillia 2.

Oh well, maybe is for the best since the last time we went from 4 Heroes of Light to Bravely Default so maybe the 3rd is the charm~

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I suspect that mobile game is the extent of what you're going to see out of Bravely, and that whatever the team does next will be a new IP, similar to how TRF is on a new franchise now.

Oregano

Do we have any numbers for the west with Bravely Second? I doubt it did anywhere near as well as Default but it might have still done significant numbers.

Would they be able to get Nintendo to split costs with a brand new game and if not would that mean they'd be aiming solely for Japan.
Or put it on PS4 and fuck Japan off?

EDIT:
Any early leaks or forecasts yet? Is SaGa going to finally sell a million in the second week?

Nah but it's obviously just because SE didn't ship enough copies.

Why was it not on Vita then?

I feel it was kind of different time. Move of MH from PSP to 3DS was announced pretty early, they got to use pretty much same assets as they had with PS2/Wii/PSP and Nintendo also offered to publish the games in west. Then when Vita pretty much flopped everywhere there wasn't any need to make the game multiplatform later either. This time around PS4 will have huge global base and Switch is the one that has to prove that it sells. Well maybe if Nintendo strikes good enough of deal MH will remain only on Switch as it will of course sell well even if it remains Switch exclusive. If there isn't any kind of deal I just don't see why it would remain exclusive. Switch/PS4 for japan and Switch/PS4/PC for west would make sense.

Top Bottom