• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2016 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

Datschge

If PS4 ends up leading the market that'd mean the portable market is dead. Considering the home console market in Japan is in the worst state in decades, the dedicated device market may as well no longer exist anymore there (except as a niche outlet for produced-for-export products).

Actually is Ninokuni 2 expected to be big?
Only overseas.

Oregano

If PS4 ends up leading the market that'd mean the portable market is dead. Considering the home console market in Japan is in the worst state in decades, the dedicated device market may as well no longer exist anymore there (except as a niche outlet for produced-for-export products).

Only overseas.

In Japan? I'm going to go with no.

That was my initial instinct but the DS version was big and this times it's the only version. Not sure if that will make a difference.

That was my initial instinct but the DS version was big and this times it's the only version. Not sure if that will make a difference.

The DS version was actually considered a bomb at the time. It sold a lot in the bomba bins due to being over shipped and packaging size.

Datschge

Which is still a far cry relative to performance from previous generation.
Yes, but what's the way out of there? The death of the portable market and PS4 leading? Or the marriage of the in Japan strong portable market with the in overseas strong home console market as tried with Switch? None of the two choices is "more of the same" at all for the Japanese games industry targeting dedicated gaming devices.

Vena

Which would just be more of the same.

3DS clearly has a market, the problem is its the only thing on the market that is even remotely relevant and its carried the market for several years now in spite of the bizarre software spread we've seen across platforms.

If the Switch fails as bad as Aostia projects, the entire market would have collapsed because its one and only pillar effectively vanished and nothing took its place.

3DS clearly has a market, the problem is its the only thing on the market that is even remotely relevant and its carried the market for several years now in spite of the bizarre software spread we've seen across platforms.

If the Switch fails as bad as Aostia projects, the entire market would have collapsed because its one and only pillar effectively vanished and nothing took its place.
I guess I see it as already heading in that direction. Total collapse, that is. I see what we have now as the calm before the storm.

hiska-kun

Yup:

Looks like they'll be sharing data for 2 weeks on that day (then back to Wednesday after that).

Media Create can still save us. In 2011 (year with the same day locations), MC updated their official site with week 51 Top 50 on Thursday 29th. I hope the same happens this year.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33825580

Edit, gamer.ne also updates every thursday, midday.

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/販売本数ランキング

What I don't understand is why 4gamer is already on vacation the 28th, when the normal is from the 30th.

The 3DS is going out with a bang. Obviously, it's not done selling, but with the Switch coming out in three months, it will have been highly successful all the way (save for about four months in 2011 between launch and the price cut) until the arrival of its replacement.

The Wii U, on the other hand, is going out with a long, painful whimper. It's really frustrating how they threw away the momentum it had coming off the holidays last year with disastrous shortages.

Hopefully the Switch performs more like a 3DS successor than a home console.

Also, too bad for Monster Hunter Stories. The first two weeks had me hopeful, but it tanked right after.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What does the PS4 have coming out next year that could possibly increase it sales more than what it had this year?

I dont know but a price cut could help in being stable

Only overseas.

Could be a scenario
January 13 will tell us more

Oregano

The DS version was actually considered a bomb at the time. It sold a lot in the bomba bins due to being over shipped and packaging size.

True, I was more wondering if any of those ~500k people might be interested in a sequel but it's been a long time.

I guess I see it as already heading in that direction. Total collapse, that is. I see what we have now as the calm before the storm.

The real question is whether it will be tested. Whilst most of it was is multiplatform publishers really gave PS4 a big push. If Switch gets the same and fails to sell then yeah the market was dying, if it doesn't get the same then third party publishers(and Nintendo) only have themselves to blame.

If you consider something close to 500k big, then it could be big overseas.

You expect it to sell less than the first one?

donny2112

The 3DS is going out with a bang. Obviously, it's not done selling, but with the Switch coming out in three months, it will have been highly successful all the way (save for about four months in 2011 between launch and the price cut) until the arrival of its replacement.

Might've been a little impacted by a minor earthquake in the region, but it was still way overpriced. (~_^)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This is the 3rd annual release for Sumikko Gurashi and sales this year will go up. Nippon Columbia must do something correct that keeps interest high.

viHuGi

Banned
2016 was the peak year for PS4.

In Japan sure, WW no way with Destiny 2, Old School Cod, Star Wars 2, RdR 2, Andromeda and many others coming, XBox One and Ps4 should have a huge 2017.

But yeah Ps4 2017 in Japan will probably stay behind 2016, no Persona, Final Fantasy...

What big hitters does Ps4 has coming next year on Japan besides Resident Evil VII? NI No KUNI 2?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I agree with that, but it'll still collapse quite a bit, the 3DS has sold a lot at this point.
Maybe the PSP is a better comparison in terms of collapse?

Sure it will go down, like every system in it 6th year on the market but that would have happened with or without the Switch. I think the people who will get a Switch in the first couple months consist of an audience that already owned a 3DS for years and is ready to upgrade - in general more core-oriented users. While the 2DS/3DS will still be the cheap entry level system with Pokemon, Yokai Watch and co.
Only overseas.
It was only physically big which led to a quick drop in price and relocation into bomba bins.

So PS3 version selling most of its global content during PSN sales makes it "big" overseas...DS selling "only" 500k in Japan makes it a bomba ?

Yeah...no.

Was the DS version overshipped ? Yeah sure, but it still sold quite well even if the expectations were higher. Some of you make it look like it was a box-office movie type bomb that lost L5 alot of money and the miracle PS3 version saved it.

Celine

for Nintendo only.

as for Sony, launch aligned, PS4 is selling better than Vita.
Put together what will be PS4, PSV, WiiU, XBO LTD in Japan and it won't match 3DS LTD.
It's not just a question of what sell better than something else but how well it's selling/it has sold.
A japanese market where the best selling system capped out at 10M, is a severely downsized japanese market.

dracula_x

Put together what will be PS4, PSV, WiiU, XBO LTD in Japan and it won't match 3DS LTD.
It's not just a question of what sell better than something else but how well it's selling/it has sold.
A japanese market where the best selling system capped out at 10M, is a severely downsized japanese market.

That because 3DS, not because "portables". Vita is portable system too, if you didn't notice.

Celine

That because 3DS, not because "portables". Vita is portable system too, if you didn't notice.
He was referring to 3DS which is the only "portable" (or system) that dominated in Japan this generation.
The rest of the pack is composed of also-run systems like PSV and WiiU, PS4 that might do better than PSV but won't set the charts on fire and the irrelevant Xbox One

duckroll

In Japan sure, WW no way with Destiny 2, Old School Cod, Star Wars 2, RdR 2, Andromeda and many others coming, XBox One and Ps4 should have a huge 2017.

But yeah Ps4 2017 in Japan will probably stay behind 2016, no Persona, Final Fantasy...

What big hitters does Ps4 has coming next year on Japan besides Resident Evil VII? NI No KUNI 2?

Dragon Quest XI, Kingdom Hearts 3, maybe FFVIIr Part 0.9 Early Access Paid Demo Edition, Gran Turismo 7? Dunno.

tskeeve

PS4 has a lot going for it in Japan for 2017. Just off the top of my head: RE7, DQXI, potentially GT-Sport...

I think with another price drop, it could sell even better next year.

Oregano

PS4 has a lot going for it in Japan for 2017. Just off the top of my head: RE7, DQXI, potentially GT-Sport...

I think with another price drop, it could sell even better next year.

RE7 and GT Sport are no FFXV. DQXI is multiplatform with two other platforms, at least one of which is more popular.

The first PS4 exclusive Tales will provide a big boost!

Alrus

Considering how GT has done on PS3, I don't expect GT Sport to do much for the PS4 when (if?) it releases in 2017.

RE7 is coming out very soon and it doesn't look like it's going to do particularly well.

L~A

Media Create can still save us. In 2011 (year with the same day locations), MC updated their official site with week 51 Top 50 on Thursday 29th. I hope the same happens this year.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33825580

Edit, gamer.ne also updates every thursday, midday.

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/販売本数ランキング

What I don't understand is why 4gamer is already on vacation the 28th, when the normal is from the 30th.

Hmm, is that for the website itself? I don't see any notice regarding the New Year break on the front page.

Not sure why they're not sharing MC data on Dec. 28th : /

Famitsu doesn't have a notice (yet?), so I assume their data will go live at the usual time.

This is the 3rd annual release for Sumikko Gurashi and sales this year will go up. Nippon Columbia must do something correct that keeps interest high.

That's something I'd love to know, since the other Nippon Columbia games are all rather unimpressive sales-wise.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Japanese market won't collapse in a night just because PS4 failed even with full third party support behind it.

Vita has showed there is still demand for handhelds, no matter how hard Sony tries to kill it, and this year's 3DS sales held better than expected. January is close and we'll see what happens. As I've said before I don't see disaster.

BriBri

That's something I'd love to know, since the other Nippon Columbia games are all rather unimpressive sales-wise.
Apart from the first Kobito Zukan game. Man did that game sell (the other two died in Rabbids Land however)!

hiska-kun

Hmm, is that for the website itself? I don't see any notice regarding the New Year break on the front page.

Not sure why they're not sharing MC data on Dec. 28th : /

Famitsu doesn't have a notice (yet?), so I assume their data will go live at the usual time.

Famitsu is every week late. Except when MC is, then they're on time lol

And yeah, in 2011 MC updated their website the 29th (thursday).

hiska-kun

Sorry for double post, Media Create Top 50 is up.

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

I hope next week they update again on thursday.

Media Create Sell-through

01./00. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.12.15} (¥4.800) - 337.979 / NEW <77,32%> [Units shipped => 437.117]

____

Yeah, definitely 100k left for YW3 Sukiyaki is not enough for next week.

casiopao

FF7R
DQ11
RE7
GTS
MH5 ;)
KH3 (lol)

Out of all those, i can only see MH5(If it is released next year lol.) or GT able to do something there.

KH is not big in JP, DQ had to compete with 3ds and Switch version while RE7 jump shark into First person view.

Unless for another price cut i had hard time seeing ps4 doing better vs this year where it had slim, pro, ffxv and ds3 all in one year.

Top Bottom