• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2016 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
graph.png

Oregano

Actually going back to what we were saying about the Bravely team it might make sense if they were making the FFVI remake.(if it actually exists)

Asano was the producer of the DS remakes, Silicon Studio has now got experience working on a mainline FF, it was rumoured to be a (timed) Switch exclusive and it would almost certainly give a better return than Bravely Third.

duckroll

Actually going back to what we were saying about the Bravely team it might make sense if they were making the FFVI remake.(if it actually exists)

Nope. Unless FFV is directed by Ito and FFVI is directed by Kitase, no one wants the remakes. Who does the programming doesn't matter.

duckroll

Latest rumor is SE decided to call back the 250k unsold copies of XV and replace them with SaGa.

Very nice. I hope this is a humbling experience for Tabby-kun, as Kawazu-sempai shows him that with experience, even a party of toilet cleaners can make a better game than 5-star team.

horuhe

This week's releases

{2016.12.22}

[3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo) (¥4.980)

[3DS] Osomatsu-San: Matsu Matsuri! # <PZL> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥4.800)

----------

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking (2016.12.22)

01./01. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./00. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo)
03./02. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
04./03. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
05./0x. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
06./04. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo)
07./08. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
08./09. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
09./06. [3DS] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Heroes <SPT> (Konami)
10./05. [PSV] Saga Scarlet Grace <RPG> (Square Enix)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2016.12.22)

01./02. [PS4] Resident Evil 7 (Grotesque Ver.) <ACT> (Capcom)
02./06. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./08. [PS4] Nier: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./07. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)
05./11. [PS4] New Danganronpa V3: Everyone’s New Semester of Killing <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are only based on sales at Rakuten Books and does not count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking.

----------

The biggest week of the year in terms of software and hardware, aside Pokémon launch. Momotetsu was released yesterday, and the game is really selling well, lots of people is even buying the Wii game that became famous in Februay after appearing at a TV program called Ametoku.

Sukiyaki was sold-out at some stores last week. At Santy Shop, they have new units for today. Other stores, after December 25th.

On hardware, new shipments for Famicom Mini and 2DS has very strong holidays. At Bic Camera, One is at 19,800yen until December 25th.

On software, we have to put lot of attention to the following games: With exceptional increases; Sumikko Gurashi, Minecraft (both Wii U and PSVita versions), Splatoon, Kirby and Tomodachi Life. With big increases, Mario, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Nintendo Selects games and Super Battle for Money.

Very nice. I hope this is a humbling experience for Tabby-kun, as Kawazu-sempai shows him that with experience, even a party of toilet cleaners can make a better game than 5-star team.
Hopefully SaGa doing so well will indicate to Square Enix that there's a sizeable audience for Final Fantasy II-2.

horuhe

Horuhe, any word about Miitopia?^~^ Is it doing well there?

Well, as far as I can tell, people interested in Tomokore is also interested in this game. It was bought mostly as a Christmas gift, so it's enjoying this holiday season as much as it can, and its success will depend on next months' sales. People who bought it, don't think it's boring or something like that, instead they said it's kinda funny, plenty of minigames. One interesting thing is that most people got into the game thanks to the tv commercial.

hiska-kun

Since today is a national holiday, the blog hasn't updated with the first day sell-through, probably he hasn't received the report from MC.

The only big release was Momotaro anyway.

Oregano

Nope. Unless FFV is directed by Ito and FFVI is directed by Kitase, no one wants the remakes. Who does the programming doesn't matter.

I don't think people actually care as long as the game looks good and captures the essence of the original. Especially considering Sakaguchi was director of the original FFV anyway(right?).

Also no one seems to really care about V anyway unfortunately.

Tabata's thoughts about FFXV sales.

“The overwhelming majority of sales is overseas. It’s as expected, since the hardware installed base is bigger overseas. The numbers in Japan are quite good considering the present situation of the Japanese game market.”

Funny how all the other multi-million selling franchises haven't been hit anywhere near as hard.

To blame it all on the state of the Japanese market is complete BS.
Tabata has also said that the open world genre is catered more for a western audience

casiopao

Did you look at the chart?

Umm do u know what i am asking here lol.

Well, as far as I can tell, people interested in Tomokore is also interested in this game. It was bought mostly as a Christmas gift, so it's enjoying this holiday season as much as it can, and its success will depend on next months' sales. People who bought it, don't think it's boring or something like that, instead they said it's kinda funny, plenty of minigames. One interesting thing is that most people got into the game thanks to the tv commercial.

Ahh i see.^^ Many of my pals also mentioned the same thing lol. They said, the direct and ads is soo funny that they feel that it is a must buy for them lol. Hope to see much longer legs for Miitopia there. I am kinda afraid on the stocks left though.

Oregano

Tabata has also said that the open world genre is catered more for a western audience

GTAV sold as well as FFXV in Japan. I don't think Japan has any kind of underlying issue with open world. EDIT: I'd actually say the Action RPG gameplay might be a bigger barrier.

I find it kind of funny that last generation Japanese developers were criticised if they said they looking westernize their franchises but apparently that's what people want now?

Oregano

I thought it was supposed to save the console situation in Japan ? Now it's fine if it sold poorly because of the console situation ?

Yup, Square Enix and retailers totally expected to have hundreds of thousands of unsold copies lying on shelves.

duckroll

They should of added a playable female character.

Also who thought having a reject boy band group as the main cast would be a good idea?

You know what game has a ton of female party members and female protagonists? SaGa Scarlet Grace! Kawazu does what Tabby-kun don't!!!!

NeonZ

I don't think people actually care as long as the game looks good and captures the essence of the original. Especially considering Sakaguchi was director of the original FFV anyway(right?).

Also no one seems to really care about V anyway unfortunately.

FFV's sales in Japan were only 100k behind FFVI's, almost one million ahead of FFIV's. The issue with it is just that due to no timely western release during the SNES generation it's very irrelevant outside of Japan.

Celine

Tabata's thoughts about FFXV sales.
Eh but then look at FFXIII sales in Japan (which in itself declined from previous episodes) on PS3 which had a comparable install base to PS4 now and see that FFXV achieved half of the sales, with 200K units still unsold at retailers.

"The numbers in Japan are quite good considering the present situation of the Japanese game market&#8221; is just an excuse (one often used by a few in MC threads in the past weeks) because FFXV sales are a steep decline for the series.
FFXV is going to be the worst selling mainline FF game in Japan since 1990 (FFIII), with only the originators episode (I and II) to have performed worse.

Oregano

FFV's sales in Japan were only 100k behind FFVI's, almost one million ahead of FFIV's. The issue with it is just that due to no timely western release during the SNES generation it's very irrelevant outside of Japan.

Yeah it's a shame too because FFV still has one of the best job systems around(if not the best).

The install base does not tell everything I think. There is more diversity in players tastes this generation with titles likes Black Ops III, Battlefield 1, GTA V, Minecraft, Fallout 4 or The Witcher 3 among the 20-25 PS4 best-sellers, on the other hand there was almost not a single western title in the PS3 top 100. Same install base yes, but maybe not the exact same audience.

In a somehow related news about the perspective of the japanese market, I thought I would share this...

Japanese birth rate to drop below 1 million for first time since records began in 1899.

The install base does not tell everything I think. There is more diversity in players tastes this generation with titles likes Black Ops III, Battlefield 1, GTA V, Minecraft, Fallout 4 or The Witcher 3 among the PS4 best-sellers, on the other hand there was almost not a single western title in the PS3 top 100.
This.

Western games are slowly gaining some foothold in Japan and especially for PS4 audience. In last generatiin, it was mostly the big hitters but now we have games like Witcher 3 selling more than Xenoblade X.

L~A

The Famicom Mini could have been a guaranteed million seller in Japan (maybe even this year) if they hadn't messed up with shipments

That' interesting, as that would mean the preview/demo on the eShop didn't quite work?

How can the Vita sell 7 times the hardware of the WiiU but only having 3 games chart, half of the WiiU?

Strong titles, that are perfect fit for the holiday period.

Also, Kimishima confirmed a few things:

- Super Mario Run numbers "as expected" (and Android filth like me getting the game next year)
- Nintendo planning to release 2-3 mobile game/year from 2017 (so I assume that's counting the remaining 3 games from the initial 5?).

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/812238990749339648

Oregano

The console market is great, its just sleeping!

Don't worry, once the mobile fad ends everyone will go back to consoles.

The Famicom Mini could have been a guaranteed million seller in Japan (maybe even this year) if they hadn't messed up with shipments

That' interesting, as that would mean the preview/demo on the eShop didn't quite work?

Strong titles, that are perfect fit for the holiday period.

Also, Kimishima confirmed a few things:

- Super Mario Run numbers "as expected" (and Android filth like me getting the game next year)
- Nintendo planning to release 2-3 mobile game/year from 2017 (so I assume that's counting the remaining 3 games from the initial 5?).

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/812238990749339648

That's not a lot of mobile games planned, probably just going to be key brands and used as promotional tools for now I bet.

Night and day difference in strategy compared to Forwardworks.

DrWong

Don't worry, once the mobile fad ends everyone will go back to consoles.

That's not a lot of mobile games planned, probably just going to be key brands and used as promotional tools for now I bet.

Night and day difference in strategy compared to Forwardworks.
3 titles/year potentially doing top 10 ww are not "just" something I think.

L~A

Well, Nintendo's mobile strategy has always been quality over quantity, though it didn't quite work out for Miitomo. Iwata/Kimishima previously said they prefered to have a few key and well performing titles/hits.

By the way, nobody posted it yet, but SMR is already at 50m downloads worldwide, and the Android version isn't even out.

And yeah, I don't think you can really compare Sony's strategy for Nintendo, especially since the former is exclusively targeting the JP market. Not to mention Nintendo's primary goal is to extend the reach of their IP and bring users (back) to their platforms, though obviously they also want the games to be profitable on their own.

horuhe

If demand is still there it could sell (much?) more than half million this year. I saw restocks even at amazon.

Rakuten restocked as well. The problem will be after this holidays, where maybe demand decrease a little bit, but production could decrease at a much faster pace.

Yeah, some other people mentioned the demo, but the majority of buyers were attracted particularly by the TV advertisement.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
2-3 mobile games isn't that unusual honestly, even when your plan is making money.

Supercell and MachineZone put out less than that and they dominate the industry. That would also be about on par for King.com, and they're gigantic. Even EA, a company that has over a thousand mobile games due to their old strategy, is barely above that when we exclude Chillingo.

I think the reason Sony has a zillion titles right now is because they're testing a bunch of different markets (midcore, casual, licensed, peripheral) to see where their competency lies, and will likely trim way down once they decide upon an identity.

I wouldn't take this to mean Nintendo doesn't view this as a core business, but rather that they're aiming at big hits the same way most of the industry works now, especially overseas.

d+pad

Woah, never seen you here before!

And yay to a FFV remake!

Hey there, Brian! I'm constantly lurking; just don't chime in much :)

Anyway, I'm honestly sad SE never made FFV and FFVI remakes for the 3DS. They could've been soooooooo good!

Top Bottom