• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2015 (Dec 14 - Dec 20)

JoeM86

Yowzah!
It is insane really, WiiU should have gotten a pricecut over there, it would have made Splatoon an even bigger phenomenom there. AT this point the high price of the systemn is hindering bigger success
over there imho.

It'd also have damaged Nintendo a bit :p Price cut for the sake of sales isn't always the way. Look at what happened to Nintendo's profits when they gave the 3DS the price cut and it then went on to sell over 11 million units from the price cut to the end of the fiscal year. Talk about "ouch".

Eolz

It is insane really, WiiU should have gotten a pricecut over there, it would have made Splatoon an even bigger phenomenom there. AT this point the high price of the systemn is hindering bigger success
over there imho.

Like the Vita, big successes are impossible to achieve now (for HW numbers). Just looking to have as much profit as they can until its successor is here. But yeah, making more expensive bundles is a bit insane.

sense

Biggest debut for a Fallout game in Japan:

360 : Fallout 3 ( Bethesda Softworks ) { 2008-12-04 } - 33,412 / 75,526
PS3 : Fallout 3 ( Bethesda Softworks ) { 2009-01-15 } - 28,499 / 116,772
Total: 61,911 / 192,298

360 : Fallout: New Vegas ( Bethesda Softworks ) { 2010-11-04 } - 27,068 / 38,730
PS3 : Fallout: New Vegas ( Bethesda Softworks ) { 2010-11-04 } - 40,260 / 83,064
Total: 67,328 / 121,794
But uncharted NDC sold less than tlour so western games are not growing in popularity in Japan /s

sörine

Banned
It's too late now, but those Wii U sales make me wonder how the system could've done with normal price reductions and actual 3rd party support?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Oh wow, consoles are doing amazing compared to last year.

yep, even the 3DS, despite the launch of the NEW models, is holding pretty well.
Just for curiosity, I've looked for last gen numbers, and, well...it's pretty depressing to see us all (me included!) to be so happy about today's numbers XD

December 2009, 21/27

WII | 215.129 |
| NDS | 213.109 |
| PS3 | 110.519 |
| PSP | 109.993 |
| 360 | 6.489 |
| PS2 | 3.747 |

:\

noshten

How does this week compare to the other years it's been on the market? Is this it's biggest year end push yet?

Beast mode:
WiiU 2013 Hardware Sales Christmas Season

(Nov 18 - Nov 24) - 21.002
(Nov 25 - Dec 1) - 28.518
(Dec 2 - Dec 8) - 48.762
(Dec 9 - Dec 15) - 74.903
(Dec 16 - Dec 22) - 109.113

WiiU 2015 Hardware Sales Christmas Season

(Nov 23 - Nov 29) - 20.256
(Nov 30 - Dec 6) - 32.604
(Dec 7 - Dec 13) - 47.890
(Dec 14 - Dec 20) - 80.301
(Dec 21 - Dec 27) - ???

Splatoon bundle and Splatoon game both out of stock on Amazon.

Were Monster Strike's numbers expected? I'll have to admit I've never heard of it

Good numbers in general though. It almost feels like we got a glimpse of a pre-Mobile boom Japan again. 3DS hitting its 20 mil mark seems inevitable now.

hiska-kun

Splatoon WiiU Bundle sold out (and it won't be shipped again)
Super Mario Maker Bundle and WiiU standalone have some stock problems

Wii U is being sold out in Japan lol

Was the last Jo Jo game among the worst games ever made?
It wasn't bad at all but it had a ton of bullshit at launch between balance issues and the energy debacle. Plus the new game plays wildly differently from the first one, so who knows if that steered people off as well.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Actually I'm only happy about Wii U wrt holiday sales. 3DS is weak, as is PS4, considering those two are systems which are acutally alive and have new releases every week. Wii U will possibly be replaced next year, is a complete failure commercially and is feasting exclusively off two games that released months ago. Considering all this, those 80k are incredibly strong.

sense

yep, even the 3DS, despite the launch of the NEW models, is holding pretty well.
Just for curiosity, I've looked for last gen numbers, and, well...it's pretty depressing to see us all (me included!) to be so happy about today's numbers XD

December 2009, 21/27

WII | 215.129 |
| NDS | 213.109 |
| PS3 | 110.519 |
| PSP | 109.993 |
| 360 | 6.489 |
| PS2 | 3.747 |

:
Lol you take what you can get at this point. hope ps4 pulls those kind of numbers next holiday (PS3)

Kid Ying

Also, it seems youkai dance broke everyone's predictions. Sold 10k and got out of the top 30. I confess i'm surprised. Really though that the name would carry thr game by itself and judging by the shipment, retailers thought the same. Same with AC amiibo

In the end, the only title to stand with splatoon and marimake its Taiko. Glorious Taiko, i knew you could make it

Eolz

sörine;190243532 said:
It's too late now, but those Wii U sales make me wonder how the system could've done with normal price reductions and actual 3rd party support?

That's a good question for Japan. Lack of software releases is basically what killed it there for the first years, but it seems they've "saved" it a bit better than expected this year.

Edit for Yoshi: to be fair, 3DS is pretty much dead in terms of hardware life. It's impressive it's still pulling numbers like it, and will probably be replaced before WiiU.

ethomaz

Banned
Wii U is doing better than I expected these last few weeks.

I can believe in over 800k for the year now.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
So - the Wii U has a more expensive bundle on the market than last year and yet it sells more than double yoy?
That's pretty good! Sadly there are no legacy titles crawling back into the top 30 like on the 3DS like Smash or Mario Kart, but overall it looks like Nintendo did some things right this year.

How does this week compare to the other years it's been on the market? Is this it's biggest year end push yet?

CW6dw46WYAIf6M0.png:large

Look at that 3DS...

Holy fuck @ Wii U at 80k.

SPLA-fuckin'-TOON is a remarkable beast. 77k!

I find it surprising that Super Mario Maker edged out Splatoon but I'm sure many will take it.

Nice debut for Fallout 4.

Not really big bump for PS4 at all.

I'm really glad that M&L: Paper Jam got boosted to a more respectable number. The West will make it a million seller but it'll probably sell more in line with Partners in Time.

December 2009, 21/27

WII | 215.129 |
| NDS | 213.109 |
| PS3 | 110.519 |
| PSP | 109.993 |
| 360 | 6.489 |
| PS2 | 3.747 |

:

Let's be positive, they're doing better than the 360 at least! =p

For once good numbers all around and aside from 3DS platforms up yoy.

December 2009, 21/27

WII | 215.129 |
| NDS | 213.109 |
| PS3 | 110.519 |
| PSP | 109.993 |
| 360 | 6.489 |
| PS2 | 3.747 |

:\

PS3 had had FFXIII just a week before. It would not have been anywhere close to 110k otherwise. For rest of platforms well yeah...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Biggest debut for a Fallout game in Japan:

360 : Fallout 3 ( Bethesda Softworks ) { 2008-12-04 } - 33,412 / 75,526
PS3 : Fallout 3 ( Bethesda Softworks ) { 2009-01-15 } - 28,499 / 116,772
Total: 61,911 / 192,298

360 : Fallout: New Vegas ( Bethesda Softworks ) { 2010-11-04 } - 27,068 / 38,730
PS3 : Fallout: New Vegas ( Bethesda Softworks ) { 2010-11-04 } - 40,260 / 83,064
Total: 67,328 / 121,794

Fallout 4 had a fantastic first week, wow. Like Ryng, my expectations were around 100k, so it overdid them.

Mato

So finally Wii U has managed to generate some momentum. I have a feeling it might be bit late and Nintendo is unprepared on how to ride it now. They will probably cling on the evergreen, dlc-heavy games to fill the gap and keep all those owners busy. Investing in new, big games for Wii U seems unlikely.

Were Monster Strike's numbers expected? I'll have to admit I've never heard of it

Good numbers in general though. It almost feels like we got a glimpse of a pre-Mobile boom Japan again.

Big numbers were expected because preorders were going well - but when it was announced, it was difficult to predict anything; mobile games doesn't always translate to success in the dedicated space.

Monster Strike debut is the higher on 3DS outside P&D itself, and the big names (Pokémon, MH, DQ, YW, AC, Smash).

When I see what Nintendo alone can accomplish on a "dead" system. Seriously what 3rd parties are thinking? If they've keep supporting the system it would have been better for everyone... shame :/

Well at least in Japan support is still ok and some very good 2016 games are coming.

In the rest of the world Splatoon and Mario Maker helped (at least in Europe... imo US is a dead market for Nintendo regarding consoles, they won't regain some momentum there) but in Japan it's just crazy. The cultural thing thestopsign's talking about don't impress me, Splatoon is a very well done new franchise that perfectly matches urban culture.

Oh and good lord at 3DS, Christmas is really strong in Japan for Nintendo.

-MB-

Yowzah!

It'd also have damaged Nintendo a bit :p Price cut for the sake of sales isn't always the way. Look at what happened to Nintendo's profits when they gave the 3DS the price cut and it then went on to sell over 11 million units from the price cut to the end of the fiscal year. Talk about "ouch".

It also would have given them a positive outlook goign into NX release. Like a reversed Wii-WiiU generational change, where the collapse of Wii sales hurt WiiU brand too.
Like how PS3s change of fortunes towards the end of last generation helped PS4.

And maybe Nintendo should have been more forward thinking in designing the WiiU towards costcutting further down the line.
Instead they got stuck with somethign they couldn't make cheaper withotu taking huge hits,
durign a time they couldn't afford to.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
PS3 had had FFXIII just a week before. It would not have been anywhere close to 110k otherwise. For rest of platforms well yeah...

No, Final Fantasy XIII is dropped like a rock after the first week, the PS3 boost was only in the launch week.

PS3 would of course sell less than that, but probabily would still be close to around 100k or just a bit less.

L~A

Was the last JoJo game among the worst games ever made?

Wasn't it the game that had one of the worse second week drop ever? Something around 95% iirc?

Good numbers in general though. It almost feels like we got a glimpse of a pre-Mobile boom Japan again. 3DS hitting its 20 mil mark seems inevitable now.

Expected... more or less, yeah. Monster Strike is #1 mobile in Japan right now (unless it changed recently?!), and there's Christmas, so most likely plenty of parents buying the game for their kids.

Splatoon WiiU Bundle sold out (and it won't be shipped again)
Super Mario Maker Bundle and WiiU standalone have some stock problems

Wii U is being sold out in Japan lol

It's the Summer holidays all over again :p

Alrus

So finally Wii U has managed to generate some momentum. I have a feeling it might be bit late and Nintendo is unprepared on how to ride it now. They will probably cling on the evergreen, dlc-heavy games to fill the gap and keep all those owners busy. Investing in new, big games for Wii U seems unlikely.

Wii U selling well on holidays isn't a new thing, it did the same in 2013. Numbers are going back to shit in january.

sörine

Banned
That's a good question for Japan. Lack of software releases is basically what killed it there for the first years, but it seems they've "saved" it a bit better than expected this year.
Wii U's issue has always been one of filler releases. Nintendo tentpoles have helped move hardware every year (some better than others) but without 3rd parties to fill the schedule the system just had no hope of maintaining any momentum.

It's almost the opposite issue PS4/Vita faced. They both have plenty of games releasing constantly but no real tentpole hardware drivers and thus never really seem to surge into mainstream status. PS4 will be getting a couple of huge games from SE (FFXV, FFVIIR, DQXI) so we'll see if that can reverse things for it at least.

Media Create had Splatoon over 7k unites higher than Famitsu last week.

If that were to be true for these numbers as well, Splatoon would be at just about a million sold retail.

Amazing.

It's always exciting when an IP is about to really break out.

It was the same for the Witcher series before 3, you could feel the IP growing and growing until it went mainstream as the first (and still only) good open world RPG on the PS4/X1.

Splatoon is shackled to an undesirable homeconsole (and it's still ...by modern japanese standards....a big seller). Splatoon 2 on a handheld could be a force to be reckoned with.

No, Final Fantasy XIII is dropped like a rock after the first week, the PS3 boost was only in the launch week.

PS3 would of course sell less than that, but probabily would still be close to around 100k or just a bit less.

Well yeah it dropped like rock but it still sold 188k for the second week and there were probably also some bundles still floating around in stores.

KoopaTheCasual

Splatoon has been nothing short of a cultural phenomenon over in Japan. Wtf. I've never seen a single game boost a console out of death, and sustain it for almost an entire year.

This is some miracle shit, right here.

Wii U selling well on holidays isn't a new thing, it did the same in 2013. Numbers are going back to shit in january.

Well, Nintendo sell well during holidays because they always have the best holiday line-up - it's not a new thing but it's not a miracle which happens every year, it's good business planning. Sometimes it doesn't work - last year Wii U sold terribly during holidays.

Top Bottom