• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2015 (Dec 14 - Dec 20)

Mato

Wii U selling well on holidays isn't a new thing, it did the same in 2013. Numbers are going back to shit in january.

Week-on-week it's more than double what it was last year. Weekly it's been doing consistently better than it did in 2014. What I'm getting at is that all these new owners will have to be kept busy with new releases but Nintendo might not have planned for this.

hiska-kun

WiiU 2013 Hardware Sales Christmas Season

(Nov 18 - Nov 24) - 21.002
(Nov 25 - Dec 1) - 28.518
(Dec 2 - Dec 8) - 48.762
(Dec 9 - Dec 15) - 74.903
(Dec 16 - Dec 22) - 109.113

WiiU 2015 Hardware Sales Christmas Season

(Nov 23 - Nov 29) - 20.256
(Nov 30 - Dec 6) - 32.604
(Dec 7 - Dec 13) - 47.890
(Dec 14 - Dec 20) - 80.301*
(Dec 21 - Dec 27) - ???

WiiU could sell over 100k next week, but it won't because the stock problems.

*Famitsu on this

1 thing that is scary though is the lack of evergreen wii u games showing up. No kart, smash, pikmin, no anything.
Outside of that fantastic result for Wii u being able to do 80k with two old games

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Was the last JoJo game among the worst games ever made?

I remember it having TERRIBLE microtransaction management, but I'd say that we are seeing this pattern (first game good sales, sequel very lower sales) for many "Licensed" "anime" games (One Piece, Hokuto no Ken, Jojo's adventures).
Me, personally, I'm attracted by the first iteration of such games because of the change to play with "my favourite characters" for the first time, while the appeal of a sequel is way weaker. So, maybe, is a mix of "brand fatigure" and "first episode bad reception".

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
All you need to know about Jojo Eyes of Heaven sales is that Jojo All Star Battle sells on Amazon used for 49 yen. fourty-nine yen.

JoeM86

It also would have given them a positive outlook goign into NX release. Like a reversed Wii-WiiU generational change, where the collapse of Wii sales hurt WiiU brand too.
Like how PS3s change of fortunes towards the end of last generation helped PS4.

And maybe Nintendo should have been more forward thinking in designing the WiiU towards costcutting further down the line.
Instead they got stuck with somethign they couldn't make cheaper withotu taking huge hits,
durign a time they couldn't afford to.

Hindsight is 20/20

NotLiquid

(Dec 2 - Dec 8) - 48.762

(Dec 21 - Dec 27) - ???

*Famitsu on this

Wonder how likely a quick restock can happen to push Wii U to 3 mil LTD before the end of the year.

Tizoc

16./00. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.17} (¥7.549) - 19.164 / NEW <40-60%>
17./00. [PS4] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.17} (¥8.856) - 18.516 / NEW <40-60%>

Dem first game microtransactions' shenanigans hitting hard the sequel.

Yup....
Hope the game makes up for it westward :X

Ryng_tolu

Banned
SPLATOON VS MARIO MAKER WEEK 15

Splatoon: 16,074 / 656,454
Mario Maker: 80,807 / 576,913

Mario Maker should beat Splatoon launch allinied in 2 weeks :O
Then of course Splatoon will back first because we already count the holidays sales for Mario Maker, but still.

Amazing sales.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
That Fallout 4 sales, I will love to know what Japanese players think of it.

They sold the pip boy edition here and the app can only be used when the game is set to English. Which you can only do by changing your system language to English.

Oregano

I've said it before but when it comes to home consoles I think (third party) publishers should probably be concerned that Nintendo's software is almost as valuable to consumers as all of theirs is put together.

PS4 should be steamrolling Wii U like it is elsewhere.

80 000 for the Wii U?! That is really insane! Last year in the same week it was 38 314(by media create) and smash bros was released.

Splatoon is really a monster.

RPGamer92

Banned
I've said it before but when it comes to home consoles I think (third party) publishers should probably be concerned that Nintendo's software is almost as valuable to consumers as all of theirs is put together.

PS4 should be steamrolling Wii U like it is elsewhere.
I think Nintendo traditionally dominates the holiday season no matter what. Only exception I think was when MHP3 came out on PSP.

Kid Ying

1 thing that is scary though is the lack of evergreen wii u games showing up. No kart, smash, pikmin, no anything.
Outside of that fantastic result for Wii u being able to do 80k with two old games
Everyone is busy with Splatoon, Mario Maker and Taiko no tatsujin.

Also, about Jojo, if i remember right, Hokuto musou also have a big drop for its sequel, even selling on more platforms. Don't think it was on the same level though...

Obviously the first game left the people a bit sour. But i don't think it's a problem with bamco franchises in a whole. There are other companies in worse positions, like tecmo koeiI, since their last successes were two games using franchises from other companies (Zelda Musou and DQ heroes). Musou games are selling well because of asia, but in japan they are consistently doing worse and worse.

Bamco will do fine, just like they always do. Sometimes games bomb

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Pikmin an evergreen title? If you look last week's top 50 you'll see Wii U evergreen titles that are rising.

maxcriden

So finally Wii U has managed to generate some momentum. I have a feeling it might be bit late and Nintendo is unprepared on how to ride it now. They will probably cling on the evergreen, dlc-heavy games to fill the gap and keep all those owners busy. Investing in new, big games for Wii U seems unlikely.

At this point with NX likely debuting in a year-ish, it would be unlikely and IMO kinda pointless. They'll be glad for the surprise surge in sales in JP and hope to ride the wave to a big NX launch.

Ninferno

DKC Tropical Freeze?

You do know that if you count those that are severely f***ed by the Wii -> Wii U drops then no major Nintendo franchise can escape, not even MK, Smash, or Marios no matter how good that are, rendering the original question pointless, don't you?

Oregano

I think Nintendo traditionally dominates the holiday season no matter what. Only exception I think was when MHP3 came out on PSP.

I'm not talking just the holidays though. PS4 is ahead by a decent margin this year but if you look at the amount of software releases it's really not by that much relative to the support they both get. Then again Splatoon is a phenomenon.

That's not true. Nintendo dominates holidays because it offers a compelling software line-up, and it is able to attract kids, who are money-spenders in these periods. Nintendo is selling well throughout the year - Splatoon never dropped below 10k since it launched, and sold 800k+ before holidays were starting.

In 2003 - 2004, for example holiday charts were dominated by Sony and its PS2. Last year, Wii U sold terribly, instead.

maxcriden

Week-on-week it's more than double what it was last year. Weekly it's been doing consistently better than it did in 2014. What I'm getting at is that all these new owners will have to be kept busy with new releases but Nintendo might not have planned for this.

Honestly I think and hope that brand awareness is good enough that if people want another game to play, they will pick up the Mario, Zelda, etc. games already available. It's really too late for Nintendo to bother putting big new games in development for Wii U at this stage in the game IMO, especially with NX coming soon and with the Wii U resurgence being primarily in JP and not as much in the West unfortunately.

DKC Tropical Freeze?

Please don't remind me. Those have to be the most disappointing sales for a Nintendo game in years to me. I dunno though. Maybe Wii U in general is worse. :/

Ryng_tolu

Banned

(Dec 2 - Dec 8) - 48.762

(Dec 21 - Dec 27) - ???

*Famitsu on this

Do you think next wekk will be bigger or lower than this?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Do you think next wekk will be bigger or lower than this?

I think we have seen recently that it could have been bigger than this, and probably will be for other consoles, but it seems that the Wii U (I still struggle to believe this!!!) could face some stock issue :\

Kyoufu

Exist Archive is tri-Ace's 2nd lowest opening week for a new IP I think. The lowest being Beyond the Labyrinth which was a straight up bomb.

RPGamer92

Banned
I am still convinced PS4 will do a lot better next year.
Yep it will. Being lower in price for the whole and a stronger drop of games throughout the year (Uncharted 4, SFV in spring, Persona in summer, TLG in Fall?) and other big games like FFXV will really boost sales next year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Fuck... We will not see these types of numbers again (or at least not for a very, very long time).

Yep :\
it makes me sad!

I am still convinced PS4 will do a lot better next year.

Me too, but I think that almost everyone here is convinced about that. It will have a full year at reduced price (with other possible cut, I don't know), a better lineup (for the Japanese tastes), less multiplatform games in the PS family (or weaker competition from PS3 especially, and partially from PSVita), so I think that everyone should look for better YoY numbers.
THe volume of the positive gap is under discussion, but not the gap being positive for '16

Ok, 3DS will definitely sell over 20m by this year's end now. Great achievement. Wii U numbers are incredible as well, especially considering the dearth of big holiday titles.

Splatoon, Mario Maker, Animal Crossing, Rhythm Heaven, Monster Hunter performing well as usual. Good stuff.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yep it will. Being lower in price for the whole and a stronger drop of games throughout the year (Uncharted 4, SFV in spring, Persona in summer, TLG in Fall?) and other big games like FFXV will really boost sales next year.

The only game that will make the difference next year comparing to this, if it comes out, is FF.

Top Bottom