• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule is ending support for Dreams in September

Godot25

Banned
In an article posted on the game’s official website, the studio has explained that it’s “made the difficult decision to discontinue live support for Dreams after September 1, 2023 to shift our focus to an exciting new project”.

Players will still be able to play, create and share content on the game after September 1, but it will be receiving no further updates after this date.

The game will also be migrating to a new server in late May, at which point players will be given a storage limit of 5GB for their creations.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/media-molecule-is-ending-support-for-dreams-in-september/

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Unsurprising. Incredible tech but nobody was EVER going to make real games in it and be tied down in that way when they could learn any manner of other software and be unbound.

I remember a certain somebody on here a few years ago that was 100% convinced it was going to be the future of game development. What a kook.

ProtoByte

Such a waste of time, this game was. Little Big Planet is one thing, but Dreams was just a bad idea from the outset. 98% of gamers do not want to buy games to be developers.

Media Molecule would be much better off making 3D platformers reminiscent of the PS2-era. Here's hoping their next project is 4+ years away.

Varteras

Gold Member
Not surprised. I heard that MM was working on a multiplayer game. They have been expanding. I seem to recall an interview where they said they're up to 100 staff, which would be double from where they were for a while. I just don't think they wanted to spend any more time and resources on something that just never got big enough. They probably don't see a PC version being worth the effort. They tried for 3 years, after spending an entire generation making it. But after the utter failure that was Project Spark, I'm surprised they thought they had a better idea. They would have been much better off making an actual live service game with a creative mode added.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Unfortunate news. Also unsurprising this didn't get a PC release (SONY likely don't want the headache) but still unfortunate.

Unsurprising. Incredible tech but nobody was EVER going to make real games in it and be tied down in that way when they could learn any manner of other software and be unbound.

Except people have and likely will continue to. Its only limitation is the inability to create a game that lives outside DREAMS.

. . .as a tool to get folks creating or interested in game design it has been wildly successful if you ask me. . . and nobody did.

CGNoire

Absolutely Devastated.

Ive put in 1000+ hrs on my projects and while progress is slow they where
nudging closer and closer to completion. Now with this announcment they have basicly gutted any chance of me getting anyone to play them.

Shit was never properly supported bye Sony. We just needed a free to download Dreams "Player" app available on all PS4/PS5 systems and they could have saved it. Goddamit I atleast want the 3D Exporter we where promised years ago. They didnt even include 2 Player shared Screen support.

Markio128

That’s a shame, but understandable. I tried to use Dreams myself, but I found it a little too cumbersome and eventually lost patience with it - though, I did enjoy the music creator.

Some of the stuff that talented creators made though was incredible.

I’m hoping they release something similar, but a lot simpler for us mere mortals. I remember ‘Shoot Em Up Construction Kit (SEUCK)’ was amazing back in the day, on the Amiga. Me and a mate made several games that were fun to create and play, including a PACMAN remake.

Davevil

oh-no-anyway.gif

Mikey Jr.

Yah. I feel like writing was on the wall.

I was always like "ohh yeah dreams. Forgot about that."

And the Sony snub was brutal too. They show off their studios, and MM got literally 3 pixels.

SkylineRKR

Such a waste of time, this game was. Little Big Planet is one thing, but Dreams was just a bad idea from the outset. 98% of gamers do not want to buy games to be developers.

Media Molecule would be much better off making 3D platformers reminiscent of the PS2-era. Here's hoping their next project is 4+ years away.

Agreed. And LBP as a platform game I could never enjoy. Its gameplay was shit compared to something like Rayman Origins. And created content, well, 90% is trash, 5% is trophy boost trash, and perhaps 5% is genuinely good. But I never really saw the appeal to ape Mario Bros levels; just play Mario bros.

Amazing tool, they nailed the whole concept of creating games with a game. It's incredibly powerful and let you make so many cool things that is beyond the comprehension of the standard gaming guy. Great great comminity, reaching, supportive, friendly. I never play online games due to the sheer amount of crazy toxic people, but for Dreams they created a world that maybe attract nice people.
I've made friends online, something that didn't happen in the last two generations, I've met incredibly nice guys. Maybe MM just put that intellectual barrier with that concept of create games that idiots just saw the game and ran away lol
People created so many incredible little games, experiences, cinematics, animations, scenarios... so much talent. It's a shame that it didn't got a second life on PS5. ANd also they didn't give you a simple way to show your creation outside Dreams. Also it was very hard to find creations, I believe filters and the algorithm are still a little mess. If you are not lucky very few people will actually get to play your creation and that will definitely hamper your desire to create more.
VR support was incredible, they sure didn't care about being niche as long as something is cool.
A true masterpiece. Niche but among the best games of the last generation since quality is not about sales.

Bragr

Banned
One of the most ambitious projects in modern gaming. They pushed this for years on social media with challenges and award shows, I can't recall any developer having this kind of media push with their game before.

I played this a decent amount, I made some games, and have been blown away by what's on offer. I love Dreams. But it's also plain to see that it's too specialized of a product, it takes too much to make a game.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I am shocked they bothered to even stick with it for this long.

That community was on life support out of the gates, and was never a realistic development option.

I feel bad for anyone that sunk time into it.

Three

"Players will still be able to play, create and share content on the game after September 1, but it will be receiving no further updates after this date."

Well that's good to hear at least. Seems they are just winding down development on the project instead of shutting down. Not sure what else they could have added but I think PSVR2 support would be the only major thing they could have done. Would have been great for modelling.

mrmustard

Banned
It's a crime they didn't port the game to pc. Console folks seem to prefer popcorn cinematics, COD, FiFA or other lacklustre and uncreative stuff. It could have legs forever with an enthusiastic community.

Yoboman

I remember a certain somebody on here a few years ago that was 100% convinced it was going to be the future of game development. What a kook.
People would make content for it if it was mobetisable like Roblox. That's all

Oh and they didn't have multiplayer right? Lots of missteps

Portugeezer

Dreams should have been similar to Astro Bot or something, free to every PS console. They could have monetised stuff and it would have been a nice gateway into game development for kids who don't have gaming PC's.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Dreams should have been similar to Astro Bot or something, free to every PS console. They could have monetised stuff and it would have been a nice gateway into game development for kids who don't have gaming PC's.
All they had to do was release a “dreams viewer” that let people play stuff made in the game for free. Like imagine if you needed to buy a compiler to play PC games lol.

Ridiculous
it’s not ridiculous. This thing went absolutely nowhere and it was clearly just MM, as they say, having a wank. I think tear away is actually an extraordinary game but it’s a decade old at this point. It’s weird that they shut down perfectly functional studios like Zipper and Japan Studio (!) and spent billions on Bungie while keeping this place open.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It seems no one wants to create games for free(mildshock gif).

I have the game and even the highly praised "dreams" were not that good, shovelware stuff. They should release it on Pc and allow creators to earn money out of their creations.

Banned
in a world where Roblox and Fortnite Creative exist, something like Dreams simply has no purpose.
not only are these other examples multiplatform, but also you can actually make money in Roblox, and those are free to play, which means your audience isn't limited to people who buy the game on the single ecosystem it is available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom