• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule is ending support for Dreams in September

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
the problem with this game:
1) Its a tool, not a game.
2) Majority of gamers are not going to spend time creating something.
3) The only minority hardcore fans (probably 1%) creates something nice and impressive.
4) no MTX, no fees, no subscription, knew this game wont last for long as MM unable to generate profits, lets not talk about physical/digital sales.

Gojiira

Really cant be down played how good an idea Dreams was, wasted potential for sure. It needed a PC/PS5 release and the exporter would have been phenomenal for STL making.
Still at least next game will be PS5 at least, I hope its as content rich as Little Big Planet or as creative as Tearaway.

SJRB

Gold Member
Amazing technical achievement that from the start felt like an answer to a question hardly anyone was asking.

It could've been way bigger if Sony put their weight behind it. How is this not a free PSVR2 title?

Bartski

Gold Member
such a missed opportunity to land this on PC where it belongs. Let's face it a videogame controller is horrible tool for anything other than gaming

GermanZepp

I played Dreams for dozens of hours and i enjoyed my time with it. The music creator, the sculpting, animations. IMO hard tools that required effort to dominate and a steep learnig curve BUTT once made it was awesome the stuff you could make. Eventually i stopped playing cause the game put my PS4pro full on jet engine mode and by the time i installed on my PS5 i forget how to use the tools.

I have in the backlog other great games to play so i did'nt bother. Sculpting and 3D printing never make it. What a shame.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It was an interesting experiment, but has seemed to have floundered with no focus on what it was trying to actually achieve. It seems like it will be supported in a limited fashion (i.e. will still work) and hopefully MM are now laser focussed on building more an actual game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
"they should have ported it to PC"

Unreal Engine, Unity, Godot, Roblox, Fortnite Creator, etc:
If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

It flopped because gamers don't like creating games. The reason games like Mario Maker, LBP, Osu, Geometry Dash, etc succeed is because at the end of the day, all the mechanics, enemies, systems are all coded for you and all you really need to do is organize them in a way that fits your vision, in which these games provide gigantic amounts of user friendly tools and settings to make them happen. You rarely have to tinker with anything beyond the level creator to make what you want to.

A GAME creator means you gotta make that shit yourself. And the PS4 isn't any DS, there's no mouse, keyboard, or touchscreen. A PS4 is meant for big budget graphical experiences which Dreams is not. People sit on the couch with a controller to play games, not to make them. Anyone who was looking to ACTUALLY make video games wouldn't be looking towards a PS4 which is only there to PLAY them. Especially since Dreams games can only be published on Dreams storefront (which works for Roblox because it's free, Dreams is a paid 20 dollar product) and only played on PS4.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

"they should have ported it to PC"

Unreal Engine, Unity, Godot, Roblox, Fortnite Creator, etc:
If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

It flopped because gamers don't like creating games. The reason games like Mario Maker, LBP, Osu, Geometry Dash, etc succeed is because at the end of the day, all the mechanics, enemies, systems are all coded for you and all you really need to do is organize them in a way that fits your vision, in which these games provide gigantic amounts of user friendly tools and settings to make them happen. You rarely have to tinker with anything beyond the level creator to make what you want to.

A GAME creator means you gotta make that shit yourself. And the PS4 isn't any DS, there's no mouse, keyboard, or touchscreen. A PS4 is meant for big budget graphical experiences which Dreams is not. People sit on the couch with a controller to play games, not to make them. Anyone who was looking to ACTUALLY make video games wouldn't be looking towards a PS4 which is only there to PLAY them. Especially since Dreams games can only be published on Dreams storefront (which works for Roblox because it's free, Dreams is a paid 20 dollar product) and only played on PS4.

You are, as usual wrong. But, at the end this is SONY or MM's fault, they screw up crusial desicions that a game like this requiers to endure time.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You are, as usual wrong
first off, how is this usual? We've never even talked on here before

But, at the end this is SONY or MM's fault, they screw up crusial desicions that a game like this requiers to endure time.
it's a bad concept targeting the wrong demographic on a console that isn't suited for the task this tool is trying to achieve, while also being too dumbed down and ridiculously simple for any serious game developer to use...

Last edited:

sainraja

The game might still make it to PC. It just won't be Media Molecule that will be working on it. They are moving on to a new project.
I do wish they had tried making it free to play and putting it on PC before moving on.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
How much money and time did Sony waste on this stupid vanity project that went nowhere? Absolutely baffling, yet MM still gets all this praise and benefit of the doubt. time to shut them down and divert the resources elsewhere imo.
MM aren't the fuck ups here, Sony had no idea what Dreams is or what to do with it. Their treatment of it was bafflingly antiquated. It's not a game, it's a platform. Selling it at retail for $60 is just insanely dumb.

As a product, Dreams does SO MUCH right, and fixes so many of the problems of past attempts at game creator products. It's YouTube for games. It allows you to explore and play games instantly with zero loading. Game creation is easy, powerful, and allows you to create everything end to end on the console. The voxel based engine simplifies performance needs so that creators don't have to manage things like polygon budgets or worry about optimization.

If Sony had the vision to include Dreams on every PlayStation as part of their Plus service, and to pursue alternate models of monetization, I think they could have been really successful. But they just didn't get it.

Unsurprising. Incredible tech but nobody was EVER going to make real games in it and be tied down in that way when they could learn any manner of other software and be unbound.

I remember a certain somebody on here a few years ago that was 100% convinced it was going to be the future of game development. What a kook.
Was it Bryank75? Lol.

Three

All they had to do was release a “dreams viewer” that let people play stuff made in the game for free. Like imagine if you needed to buy a compiler to play PC games lol.
This would have only made sense if they monetised the viewer somehow.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whether it’s LBP or Dreams, it’s the same thing. It’s obvious it’s Sonys attempt to create a halo effect hoping all the PC creative types make community games and levels for the console crowd. Similar to Minecraft but exclusive to Sony systems.

The best sales and support for these types of games is having it on PC.

Gobjuduck

Banned
These type of games can’t be exclusive to one platform, they especially can’t exclude PC. Sony needs to realize if they want their games to have longevity, it needs PC day one.

Sony’s investing in a ton of live service games, they better realize PC is necessary in the long term.

Fbh

It's weird that they never did more with this game.
No PC port
Not making it a part of Ps+ to increase the userbase.
It's not even on the more expensive Ps+ tiers (extra/premium).

Still, Media Molecule right now just seems like a waste of Money for Sony. When was the last time they made something successful? LBP2 over 10 years ago?
Japan Studio released a bunch of bombs too, but at least they made more than 1 game every decade.

Last edited:

Bridges

This hurts, MM is my favorite PS studio still standing. Dreams was really incredible, but it never got the community it needed to.

Really surprised we didn't at least get a PC or PS5 port, seems like a missed opportunity for a second wind.

This hurts, MM is my favorite PS studio still standing. Dreams was really incredible, but it never got the community it needed to.

Really surprised we didn't at least get a PC or PS5 port, seems like a missed opportunity for a second wind.
Then they better pray their next game is a good seller cause i can't imagine Sony supporting a studio without a hit for over a decade. I'm not sure how Dreams was profitable for the studio tbh.

I mean in 10 years their output was Tearway and then its remaster for home consoles (which was co developed with another studio. it wasn't even all theirs) and then Dreams that flopped.

diffusionx

Gold Member
MM aren't the fuck ups here, Sony had no idea what Dreams is or what to do with it. Their treatment of it was bafflingly antiquated. It's not a game, it's a platform. Selling it at retail for $60 is just insanely dumb.

As a product, Dreams does SO MUCH right, and fixes so many of the problems of past attempts at game creator products. It's YouTube for games. It allows you to explore and play games instantly with zero loading. Game creation is easy, powerful, and allows you to create everything end to end on the console. The voxel based engine simplifies performance needs so that creators don't have to manage things like polygon budgets or worry about optimization.

If Sony had the vision to include Dreams on every PlayStation as part of their Plus service, and to pursue alternate models of monetization, I think they could have been really successful. But they just didn't get it.

Well, also note that MM didn't even, you know, make a game with these tools and engine they spent years putting together. Like I said, it all feels like a wank. I think this era of Sony is obsessed with "critical acclaim" and when MM got that BAFTA shit showered on them for LBP (which, editorializing here, is a pretty bad platformer with a great art style and decent tools) they just gave these guys free reign to do whatever they want. It's a huge mistake and a waste of time and money. I don't know the internals and who made what decisions here, I would agree there are lots of bad ones, and maybe Sony was incapable of properly handling this, which means that giving MM a blank check and like EIGHT years to make and "support" it was even more of a mistake.

I don't even know if MM is still capable of making an actual game. Like, if I was part of the dev team that made Tearaway (which, again, is excellent), why the hell would I have stuck around at this studio not making a game for a decade? It's just so weird what happened here.

Last edited:
7 years or maybe even longer considering Media Molecule first mentioned Dreams at Gamescom 2012.
Yeah 7 years for basically nothing.

Take Evolution as an example. They had 3 years between Apocalypse and Drive Club and were cut 2 years after Drive Club. Now Drive Club was a commercial failure I'm sure but it was a much better product then Dreams and Evolution never really released anything bad in their entire history.

Their next game needs to be good or I can't imagine they last which sucks because I do think they have this vibe to their games which is enjoyable.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Was it Bryank75? Lol.

Nah, OP of this thread titled "Dreams is the most important new game in a decade", and I'm not gonna dig for him saying it, but there's a lot of gold to mine in there from other people too. Choice quotes includes:

"Dreams is going to revolutionize the gaming industry. Period."
"dreams will be one of the most important games this gen....." (no second guesses who this one was)
"It's absurd for anyone to have any doubts about this game, in terms of importance to sony's position as a platform holder, or the industry at-large."
"I believe Dreams is going to score insanely high in reviews, with an average score in the absurdly high 90s. I'm gonna say 98/100"

Some of the copium was off the charts. The OT was even worse.

01011001 01011001 your prediction in that thread was "the game will ultimately be a financial failure, the servers will be offline within 2 to 3 years and noone will give a shit", great job :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Luigi Mario

Take Evolution as an example. They had 3 years between Apocalypse and Drive Club and were cut 2 years after Drive Club. Now Drive Club was a commercial failure I'm sure but it was a much better product then Dreams and Evolution never really released anything bad in their entire history.
Forget about DriveClub being a better product, Dreams was a total commercial flop in comparison.

Last edited:
I think the main problem is the lack of multiplayer. In those days and age it's really an obvious omission.

I also think the technical complexity of the engine prevent them porting it to PC. At least the port should be a very hard endeavour and they lack the ressources of doing it. That engine could use all tricks available on PS4 SDK.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Porting this to PC would be a mistake and another flop. If you want to screw around with game dev on PC there are better and more established tools for that. I hope MM goes back to platformers.

Not much to add that hasn't already been said -- I hope their next game is more of a traditional platformer that doesn't take so damn long.

sainraja

Nah, OP of this thread titled "Dreams is the most important new game in a decade", and I'm not gonna dig for him saying it, but there's a lot of gold to mine in there from other people too. Choice quotes includes:

"Dreams is going to revolutionize the gaming industry. Period."
"dreams will be one of the most important games this gen....." (no second guesses who this one was)
"It's absurd for anyone to have any doubts about this game, in terms of importance to sony's position as a platform holder, or the industry at-large."
"I believe Dreams is going to score insanely high in reviews, with an average score in the absurdly high 90s. I'm gonna say 98/100"

Some of the copium was off the charts. The OT was even worse.

01011001 01011001 your prediction in that thread was "the game will ultimately be a financial failure, the servers will be offline within 2 to 3 years and noone will give a shit", great job :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They are not shutting the game down. Not yet anyway. So that is still yet to happen.

Ar¢tos

It's weird that they never did more with this game.
No PC port
Not making it a part of Ps+ to increase the userbase.
It's not even on the more expensive Ps+ tiers (extra/premium).

Still, Media Molecule right now just seems like a waste of Money for Sony. When was the last time they made something successful? LBP2 over 10 years ago?
Japan Studio released a bunch of bombs too, but at least they made more than 1 game every decade.
You can't compare MM to Japan Studio. Japan Studio was one of the biggest Sony studios, while MM had just 30 people when they finished LBP. It was 80 when they started doing Dreams (I have no idea what the current number is).

sainraja

I don't like the change in status of the game. I do agree with others that Sony should put this on PC but I am also glad that Media Molecule will get to work on something new which is exciting.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They are not shutting the game down. Not yet anyway. So that is still yet to happen.

Fair enough, servers still up. But support being pulled because nobody cares is good enough.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Well, also note that MM didn't even, you know, make a game with these tools and engine they spent years putting together.

Which, again, is only a problem because they tried to sell it as a game, but wouldn't be an issue at all if they understood the product as a YouTube or Roblox-like platform. And it clearly is.

And it really is inspired in that regard. Like the way you can just browse and hop into games is inspired and some of the stuff people made is incredibly cool. There was so much potential here.

Like I said, it all feels like a wank. I think this era of Sony is obsessed with "critical acclaim" and when MM got that BAFTA shit showered on them for LBP (which, editorializing here, is a pretty bad platformer with a great art style and decent tools) they just gave these guys free reign to do whatever they want. It's a huge mistake and a waste of time and money. I don't know the internals and who made what decisions here, I would agree there are lots of bad ones, and maybe Sony was incapable of properly handling this, which means that giving MM a blank check and like EIGHT years to make and "support" it was even more of a mistake.
I don't think you greenlight a project like Dreams to chase awards or acclaim, but then it's obvious that the business didn't understand the product so who knows what they imagined it as.

Top Bottom