• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule is ending support for Dreams in September

The concept was basically Minecraft or Roblox but for older console gamers who want to make games that look better and are more complex.

I dont think the typical console gamer wants to go through the hassle building and downloading people's demo level that last 5 minutes.
Hassle of building and downloading? You just choose one and hit go like anything else…?

Rubik8

The concept was basically Minecraft or Roblox but for older console gamers who want to make games that look better and are more complex.

I dont think the typical console gamer wants to go through the hassle building and downloading people's demo level that last 5 minutes.
As a layperson who knows very little about game and game-engine development, Dreams seemed off-the-chart in complexity and power, probably to it’s own detriment. What could be done inside it was wildly impressive. I just don’t think the average person could create anything compelling.

As a layperson who knows very little about game and game-engine development, Dreams seemed off-the-chart in complexity and power, probably to it’s own detriment. What could be done inside it was wildly impressive. I just don’t think the average person could create anything compelling.
It is powerful in certain ways, mainly with the goal of making it easier for inexperienced creators. There is huge depth you can explore, but a lot of things are made very easy to start. For instance, there’s a fully rigged dummy character included that’s easy to build off of.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hassle of building and downloading? You just choose one and hit go like anything else…?
The average console gamer doesn't build games. And they definitely arent going to spend a ton of time doing it even if they try it. Thats the PC crowd. Even something cool like Mario Maker sells a fraction of copies compared to Nintendo's other first party games. Dreams wouldn't be dropping support after 3 years if it had a big following.

The best chance of success for Dreams would be a PC port with m/kb support years ago.

The average console gamer doesn't build games. And they definitely arent going to spend a ton of time doing it even if they try it. Thats the PC crowd. Even something cool like Mario Maker sells a fraction of copies compared to Nintendo's other first party games. Dreams wouldn't be dropping support after 3 years if it had a big following.

The best chance of success for Dreams would be a PC port with m/kb support years ago.
Ah i see what you meant by building, how do you explain the popularity of minecraft, roblox, and other console based creative experiences? Maybe Dreams didn’t hit its potential, but it can’t be because console people don’t want to build things.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Turns out the vast majority of gamers don’t really want to make their own game. Who would have thought?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
That was the genius of it, though, you didn't have to download anything, you just clicked a game and it played, it was like YouTube for games.

And because of that it was the kind of thing where someone COULD make a 5 minute experience and it would be fun for people to jump into, everything didn't have to be some hours long thing.

Sony just didn't understand that this wasn't a boxed retail product, it was a platform, it should have been integrated into the OS, not sold as a $60 game.

Ar¢tos

That was the genius of it, though, you didn't have to download anything, you just clicked a game and it played, it was like YouTube for games.

And because of that it was the kind of thing where someone COULD make a 5 minute experience and it would be fun for people to jump into, everything didn't have to be some hours long thing.

Sony just didn't understand that this wasn't a boxed retail product, it was a platform, it should have been integrated into the OS, not sold as a $60 game.
60?
When did this ever cost 60?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
60?
When did this ever cost 60?
I don't remember the launch price but that's missing the point. The truly game changing thing about Dreams was what a frictionless experience it was, and then when you gate that behind a purchase price and sell it as if it's a game, you totally lose the best thing about it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ah i see what you meant by building, how do you explain the popularity of minecraft, roblox, and other console based creative experiences? Maybe Dreams didn’t hit its potential, but it can’t be because console people don’t want to build things.
Probably better received since those games are on more platforms so they can try out out easier and people talk about it. m/kb also helps for PC gaming. MC I think is cross save across platforms too.

Last edited:

kevm3

dreams is the one game that should have been ported to pc. THAT'S where the majority of the people who want to develop games are

Top Bottom