• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

First, are you doing this exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGHQXW7iXVw&feature=plcp?

Secondly, are you exitting the area, re-entering the area, saving AND ONLY THEN going to check in the briefing?

If the answers to both of those are 100% yes:
Third, Synless had the same problem earlier and wasn't quite sure why it was not counting, if it was due to not saving right or due to not having a weapon out. Do you have a weapon out?

I think it was some combination of the two. I had been doing that roll and the front roll but I think I may have mixed up my grind and a save. I did it again and I got credit for it right at the end when I tried again.

I managed to do a full chicken run with all the emblems. Glad it's done, now I'll focus on gameplay trohpies and my BB run. I've played this enough, I'll do the rest after the worst one.

I haven't tried yet but are you able to assist and win favor with the act 1 rebels without giving yourself away? I didn't realized until this last run that the rebels are in the first underground bunker and if you are friends it's easy.

I want MGO back :(
I haven't played it in years but it's a goddamn shame that it's gone. There's nothing like it. I wish I could at least play it locally with bots or something. And the original MGO... the maps are there rotting away on Subsistence, inaccessible forever. I'd just like to walk around reminiscing about the good times. Manly tears.

My Saiga 12 and Anti-Material rifle disappeared... not in the shop, not in my inventory...

-____-

So... things messed up with my file post update..
-Couldn't buy scanner.. had to use password
-Chaff grenade grinding didn't work.. they wouldn't respawn, even though other ammo in the area did (RPG 7)
-Saiga 12 is gone
-Anti-Material Rifle gone
-Random dead militia in the building you meet meryl in.

My Saiga 12 and Anti-Material rifle disappeared... not in the shop, not in my inventory...

-____-

So... things messed up with my file post update..
-Couldn't buy scanner.. had to use password
-Chaff grenade grinding didn't work.. they wouldn't respawn, even though other ammo in the area did (RPG 7)
-Saiga 12 is gone
-Anti-Material Rifle gone
-Random dead militia in the building you meet meryl in.

I was incorrect about the Scanning Plug, but I forgot to tell you. You need to log in a certain amount of time in MGO before you can buy it from Drebin. Sorry man.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Finished my first run in version 2.0 and currently have just over 20% of the trophies. I wish I had given MGO a try :(

So I decided it was time to move onto the next chapter, and the Saiga, Bizon (apparently that was missing too) Anti-mat rifle all came back...

Except I have to rebuy them from the drebin store now -__-.

I just unlocked Face Camo Addict while in Act 4. Went to the Act 1 Briefing and got Campbell's Face Camo and it unlocked when the briefing ended. I guess the beauties don't count?

Steroyd

Because just doing a BBE run isn't hardcore enough, I decided to do a Naked BBE run (i.e use a fresh new save, instead of clearing the game once).

So far I'm on good time except... how the fuck do I despatch Laughing Octopus quickly without the Rail Gun!? D:

HiiiLife

I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Sons of Liberty. It's actually the only game I played.

Needless to say I was confused by the end. Lol. Wondering if I should jump back into this series.

So far I'm on good time except... how the fuck do I despatch Laughing Octopus quickly without the Rail Gun!? D:

The Stinger and RPG-7 work pretty well. I don't know if you can buy the Stinger at that point, though, so I hope you picked up the RPG in the militia safehouse in Act 1 ;)

SgtCobra

Wow, this game..
The attention to detail is just outstanding.
I'm now at act 2 (power station)
there is an ambush going on and you can decide if you want to help the soldiers destroy the facility or that you go on with the sneaking stuff you were doing.
After you destroy the power station everyone will cheer and scream like crazy, you even get compliments from the soldiers, it's like a sidequest.. But without a reward :p
This may have been pretty noticeable/not special for some people but for me it is since I totally didn't pay attention the last time I played that chapter.

KAOz

Short bus special
Great. Just fucking great. I just beat the game and got no flashback mania trophy. I don't want to watch anymore cutscenes! AUGH

Was the same for me. Then I realized I had missed ONE. And that one was fairly early in the game.

Felt so good to have it ding.

Never again will I watch a whole cutscene in this game. Thank fucking god.

haikira

Was the same for me. Then I realized I had missed ONE. And that one was fairly early in the game.

Felt so good to have it ding.

Never again will I watch a whole cutscene in this game. Thank fucking god.

Am i right in assuming, that the flashbacks carry over then? Or do they all need to be hit in a single run?

There are no flashbacks during those scenes that are just a voice over with pictures and stuff on screen, right? Because I'm not watching all of them.

Great. Just fucking great. I just beat the game and got no flashback mania trophy. I don't want to watch anymore cutscenes! AUGH

Suggestions:
The flashbacks in the Act Briefings. They might not appear if you're in the Mk. 2 in the bigger screen.
After the Rex Vs. Ray fight, there is hidden flashbacks. These were added to the guide yesterday morning but are not in Donald Bubbins' PDF version yet.

Other than that I can't think of what you've missed. The good news is that they seem to be cumultative so you won't need to watch every cutscene again if you can find the one you've missed.

EDIT: I've just gotten flashback mania using the guide in the original post so I can confirm that everything in the guide in the opening post is correct so the only ones you may need (if you followed a PDF or Wordpad), following that, is Rex Vs. Ray so you can do that in another playthrough. If you got that though and didn't get the trophy...well, I'm not sure then. Try the briefings is the only thing I can suggest.

Phosphorus, very odd, I'm going to have to search to see if that's occured to anybody else but I've never heard of it before.

Spiffy, nope. The Codex can be skipped. If only it was like MGS2 where most of the cutscenes are in Codex form so we could skip more.

EDIT: Game completed using the guide. Final stats:

Time played: 42 hours 48 minutes
Continues: 58
Alert Phases: 291
Kills: 1120
Recovery Item Used: 69
Weapon Types Procured: 60
Flashbacks Watched: 273
Special Items Used: Not Used
Total Bonus: 19,410 DP.
Current Drebin Points: 66,975 DP.
Confer the title of... "BEAR"

All 22 emblems acquired so the guide is complete in so much that it will get you Chicken, all the emblems and the flashbacks.

A FAQ has also been added.

Jawmuncher

I haven't played it in years but it's a goddamn shame that it's gone. There's nothing like it. I wish I could at least play it locally with bots or something. And the original MGO... the maps are there rotting away on Subsistence, inaccessible forever. I'd just like to walk around reminiscing about the good times. Manly tears.

This is one of the things that bothers me most about console games and turning off a games MP.

While MGO is it's own beast (With the way you had to log in, update the game, etc) It still would have been cool for them to add some sort of LAN play to it. Even if it just resulted in the game's original levels and modes. Better than nothing.

Hell any game where the online can go offline needs to have a Lan/System Link way to play. So that the MP can be enjoyed by those still from time to time.

One of the reasons why it's a shame that it's impossible to play Resident Evil Outbreak or the Original Monster Hunter for example.

Korigama

Before I came back to this, I was worried that Deus Ex: Human Revolution might have spoiled me a bit in respect to stealth games. Fortunately, however, I'm actually enjoying it more than I did when I first played it (having become a bit bolder in what I attempt to get away with since playing DX:HR has helped with that).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Played yesterday to act 4... gonna finish it today... this game is so good...

Ein Bear

Do PMC's just not drop health recovery items on easy? I've been farming kill for Bear, and 100 enemies later, I still haven't had a single one drop anything I can give to the militia for Blue Bird.

Do PMC's just not drop health recovery items on easy? I've been farming kill for Bear, and 100 enemies later, I still haven't had a single one drop anything I can give to the militia for Blue Bird.

They do. It depends entirely upon how lucky you get. For Blue Bird though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nq57vlP1FU&feature=plcp

Is what I personally find is the strongest way to quickly obtain it (you should potentially be able to obtain it in any other area with Militia or PMCs).

Also BobTheFork, give Rations to make them friendly without getting seen is the strongest method. This can be done in the hideout to pass. Or better yet, wear the disguise to just run through.

Act 2:
Total Play Time: 24:42:56
Continues: 2
Alert Phases: 146
Total Kills: 628
LIFE Recovery Items Used: 35
Weapon Types Acquired: 40
Flashbacks Viewed: 76
Special Items: Not Used
CQC Uses: 33
Headshots: 345
Knife Kills/Knockout: 7
Wall Press Time: 03:04:01
Sideway Rolls: 227
Forward Rolls: 490
Crawling Time: 02:40:26
Crouch Walking Time: 07:24:50
Time in Cardboard Box/Drum: 00:19:47
Combat Highs: 18
Weapons/Items Acquired: 1378
Total Drebin Points from Sales: 560445
Current Drebin Points: 309430

The cutscenes for Act 3 are so long. Checked my stats over twice. I'm not sure if I did enough hold ups or given enough rations to militia since it doesn't show those stats. Well gonna up my continues and try to get the Bear and Gibbon emblem. Time to off Snake 49 more times.
Had no idea Laughing Octopus dances for you. Will the other Beast dance as well?
Didn't realize how rare Chaff grenades are. I didn't find any in the Act 2 Marketplace, but I did get the Ipod tune there.

Act 2:
Total Play Time: 24:42:56
Continues: 2
Alert Phases: 146
Total Kills: 628
LIFE Recovery Items Used: 35
Weapon Types Acquired: 40
Flashbacks Viewed: 76
Special Items: Not Used
CQC Uses: 33
Headshots: 345
Knife Kills/Knockout: 7
Wall Press Time: 03:04:01
Sideway Rolls: 227
Forward Rolls: 490
Crawling Time: 02:40:26
Crouch Walking Time: 07:24:50
Time in Cardboard Box/Drum: 00:19:47
Combat Highs: 18
Weapons/Items Acquired: 1378
Total Drebin Points from Sales: 560445
Current Drebin Points: 309430

The cutscenes for Act 3 are so long. Checked my stats over twice. I'm not sure if I did enough hold ups or given enough rations to militia since it doesn't show those stats. Well gonna up my continues and try to get the Bear and Gibbon emblem. Time to off Snake 49 more times.
Had no idea Laughing Octopus dances for you. Will the other Beast dance as well?
Didn't realize how rare Chaff grenades are. I didn't find any in the Act 2 Marketplace, but I did get the Ipod tune there.

Those bolded ones are the only ones that you'll have to increase. Continues are fine for Act 4 or 5 (Act 5 is the quickest I feel). Alert phases are pretty easy in Shadow Moses too and you only need four so that's fine also. CQC uses however will definitely need to be increased. I have a feeling that Act 5 will be fine for Bear and it should be fine for Gibbon but you may need to purposely die in those areas to reset enemies to be easily held up. The cardboard box and drum can should be fine too for Act 4 as well.

As for the Beauties, yep, the others will dance too via the same method but just make sure you get the statues before you go into the White World in case you lose the statue. The Chaff Grenades also can be gotten in Act 4 (and you can get as much as you want then) but yeah, they are very rare. I think it's only four chaff grenades you can get per playthrough (unless you use the respawning ones in Act 4 to get more).

KAOz

Short bus special
Interesting fact: to get the "I am THE Expert..."-trophy, you do NOT need the unlockable weapons you get from emblems.

Just reached Act 5 and bought the Musket for half-price. That made me reach 65 weapons total. Ding. "Expert"-trophy popped. Did have Solar Gun and both Dolls aswell.

Type 17 Pistol
Patriot
Desert Eagle Long Barrel
Thor .45-70

Are NOT needed for "Expert".

But yeah, did not expect that at all.

Now to get all the iPod tunes. Urgh.

You haven't finished Act 3, have you? Cause the boss fight is the best time to farm deaths. Just jump out of a window 50 times.

Started my Big Boss run earlier but got pissed off at my Act 1 time (an hour and a half, because I'd sometimes forget I was trying to be quick and go looking for items) and decided to start again. Managed to keep it down to 40 minutes this time around.

spats

I beat this game three times in 2008 but I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Holy shit there's so much stuff in there.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Playing through the MGS HD collection first but I downloaded and installed MGS4 for when the time comes. Series playthrough is go!

stn

So, for us few who haven't been following lately: is the trophy patch officially out in North America? Sorry for such a dumb question.

You haven't finished Act 3, have you? Cause the boss fight is the best time to farm deaths. Just jump out of a window 50 times.

Started my Big Boss run earlier but got pissed off at my Act 1 time (an hour and a half, because I'd sometimes forget I was trying to be quick and go looking for items) and decided to start again. Managed to keep it down to 40 minutes this time around.
Not yet. Currently raising my CQC.

So, for us few who haven't been following lately: is the trophy patch officially out in North America? Sorry for such a dumb question.
It's been out since Monday for US.

Interesting fact: to get the "I am THE Expert..."-trophy, you do NOT need the unlockable weapons you get from emblems.

Just reached Act 5 and bought the Musket for half-price. That made me reach 65 weapons total. Ding. "Expert"-trophy popped. Did have Solar Gun and both Dolls aswell.

Type 17 Pistol
Patriot
Desert Eagle Long Barrel
Thor .45-70

Are NOT needed for "Expert".

But yeah, did not expect that at all.

Those are all weapons that can be acquired via password IIRC, I guess everything that can (also) be unlocked via password (or MGO) is not connected to the trophies in any way.

Does that change anything? Maybe reducing the number of playthroughs needed for the platinum?

StuBurns

Banned
You should definitely replay MGS if you haven't already. The graphics arn't amazing but I feel that it still holds up better than expected, and it's still SO good.
I was playing PW HD before MGS4, and I'm going to do 3 after I finish 2, then go back and finish up PW. I'm planning to sort out getting the PC version of 1 running on my system, fingers crossed at least. I tried to get it working on Vista about a year ago but to no avail.

You should definitely replay MGS if you haven't already. The graphics arn't amazing but I feel that it still holds up better than expected, and it's still SO good.

"Your brother just saved you, me, and the whole world."

Shit gets me every time. People may hate on the writing/stories in MGS all they want, but I'll be damned if they don't have their moments.

Those are all weapons that can be acquired via password IIRC, I guess everything that can (also) be unlocked via password (or MGO) is not connected to the trophies in any way.

Does that change anything? Maybe reducing the number of playthroughs needed for the platinum?

Nope. Little Gray still requires them all.

On that note I've just noticed that you've a max chaff limit of ten on The Boss Extreme so getting much more than that isn't necessary (I had gotten 60 and all, never realised there was a limit to Chaff Grenades since usually you won't go above 4). I'll alter the OP to resemble this.

Also, Metal Gear Solid 2 continues to surprise me with the HD Collection. On the PS2 I had never really enjoyed it and stopped at about nine playthroughs but the HD Collection makes me just want to keep on replaying it. The design of the areas are just so good (even if some feel they're a little repetitive).

Ein Bear

Nope. Little Gray still requires them all.

On that note I've just noticed that you've a max chaff limit of ten on The Boss Extreme so getting much more than that isn't necessary (I had gotten 60 and all, never realised there was a limit to Chaff Grenades since usually you won't go above 4). I'll alter the OP to resemble this.

Also, Metal Gear Solid 2 continues to surprise me with the HD Collection. On the PS2 I had never really enjoyed it and stopped at about nine playthroughs but the HD Collection makes me just want to keep on replaying it. The design of the areas are just so good (even if some feel they're a little repetitive).

Good lord :p

Agree though, I love MGS2, it's still probably got my favourite core stealth gameplay in the series. Camo and such in the later games are cool additions, but I feel that they kind of spoiled the gameplay a little bit, by making the focus more on slowly crawling across the ground over manipulating the enemies. Going for perfect stealth in MGS2 is much more satisfying.

I just Platinumed the HD version before the MGS4 patch landed, and loved every second, the dog tags never really felt like a chore.

Top Bottom