• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

On a Big Boss run and just about to start the motorbike escape with a time of 1:34:05. I fear for my sanity.

YES! Finished the bike ride! That third section is pure evil. Act 3 finished now! 1:49:23. So close to the ending! If only that terrible bike chase didn't slow me down.

ARRRRGH!

So I did my chicken run and decided to just go for the BB emblem since I had all but done it before. I accidentally saved over the completion save and I guess I continued on the first part of the game and didn't realize it. So my run is screwed and I can't restart or try another run. I guess im going to do another emblem run but since it's on BB extreme it's going to be a pain in the ass anyways

Tip on the divine wind/ having enough items to give away and use. When I got to the mansion in act 2 there are resistance troops you can win over and an infinite supply of PMC troops. Two of these guys carry a grenade launcher that is worth 12k if you get them to drop it. I spend about 3 hours (hardly matters in the chicken run) in front of the building. I would hide, wait for the new spawned troops to come around and then hold up the one with the launcher. You wont get it every time, but between all the pmc and resistance troops you will bank on DP. I bought the musket for 800k and used it to get tons of rations to use.

ARRRRGH!

So I did my chicken run and decided to just go for the BB emblem since I had all but done it before. I accidentally saved over the completion save and I guess I continued on the first part of the game and didn't realize it. So my run is screwed and I can't restart or try another run. I guess im going to do another emblem run but since it's on BB extreme it's going to be a pain in the ass anyways

Tip on the divine wind/ having enough items to give away and use. When I got to the mansion in act 2 there are resistance troops you can win over and an infinite supply of PMC troops. Two of these guys carry a grenade launcher that is worth 12k if you get them to drop it. I spend about 3 hours (hardly matters in the chicken run) in front of the building. I would hide, wait for the new spawned troops to come around and then hold up the one with the launcher. You wont get it every time, but between all the pmc and resistance troops you will bank on DP. I bought the musket for 800k and used it to get tons of rations to use.

Yep. In the OP under the Confinement Facility video.

Also, do you have a save in Act 5 on Chicken near the end? It would be advisable to go from there, finish the game and then start again if possible to save you a playthrough if you wanted since you've overwritten the Epilogue:The End one.

Yep. In the OP under the Confinement Facility video.

Also, do you have a save in Act 5 on Chicken near the end? It would be advisable to go from there, finish the game and then start again if possible to save you a playthrough if you wanted since you've overwritten the Epilogue:The End one.

Nope. I started going over my old saves since I didn't need them. By the time I thought about it, the last save I had was the middle of act 4 and I did a ton of my requirements and time in act 5 and I won't do it again. For now I'm just going to have to deal with this. I'll need to be very carefull like a BB run. I've been waking up sleeping soldiers and knifing them without alarms. I just need to stay under 25 alerts and continues and keep slitting troats.

Nope. I started going over my old saves since I didn't need them. By the time I thought about it, the last save I had was the middle of act 4 and I did a ton of my requirements and time in act 5 and I won't do it again. For now I'm just going to have to deal with this. I'll need to be very carefull like a BB run. I've been waking up sleeping soldiers and knifing them without alarms. I just need to stay under 25 alerts and continues and keep slitting troats.

Oh that's unfortunate then. I presume you're going for Tarantula and Assassin that (it sounds like it anyway)? The VSS is excellent for this as is the Confinement Facility (as it seems you've discovered) and the roof of Vista Mansion to get the kill requirement without Alerts.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm one step from that part in act 5 now... don't know if I dare continue :_:

SJRB

Gold Member
Just started a fresh playthrough for the first time in 3 years. I'm still amazed by the quality of the character models, Snake's model must have a trillion polygons.

Other than that I play on auto-pilot - I still remember every next stage, every weapon location, every cutscene like I replayed the game last weekend. Which is unfortunate, really. There is no satisfaction when I play this game.

jimi_dini

I'm in the second area of the bike chase and I basically die as soon as it starts... wtf... I do not remember it being this hard

If you are low on health right at the start because of the first area, just add a few days to your ps3 clock. You will then have full health again.

If you are low on health right at the start because of the first area, just add a few days to your ps3 clock. You will then have full health again.

Oh. I redid the first area and got through with no damage, so the second area doesn't seem as impossible now. Still having trouble with it, though.

That's a cool trick, I didn't know about that! I will definitely do that when I get through this area...

I'm in the second area of the bike chase and I basically die as soon as it starts... wtf... I do not remember it being this hard

Unfortunately it was. I highly advise having the tranquiliser pistol, Twin Barrel, Stun Grenades and Solar gun in your weapon tab and you need to switch between them and Auto-aim, very literally, with ninja-like reflexes. You can take cover behind Eva with Triangle but all that does is prolong your death slightly. It's absolutely horrible and the third part is even worse.

edit; jimi_dini, I wish you had posted that an hour and twenty minutes ago :p. A very useful tip, do you know how long so I can add it to the OP?

jimi_dini

Oh. I redid the first area and got through with no damage, so the second area doesn't seem as impossible now. Still having trouble with it, though.

It's not really bad. Just use a stun grenade on the first crowd. Then use your Mk.2 for the next enemies (important than you stun the gunner and then get the one on the truck).
Next up is another group. Get the 2 gunners asap using Mk.2, the rest isn't that important.

Now for the slow-mo scene: switch to auto-aim mode, use solar gun and when slow-mo starts, press L1 till you get a lock, then hit R1, release L1 and press it again as fast as possible, wait a tick, then press R1 and repeat. If you do this right, you will stun EVERY enemy till you land. And the rest should be piece of cake. Don't use the solar gun that much, especially for first and second part. You will need it a bit for the third part. And I also save a little bit more so that I can stun the beauty within a few seconds.

For the third part, you should know that the beast and its companions shoot, but will NOT HIT YOU at all. Which means leave them alone. The beast will take hits onto the boss fight, but it's not really worth it.

The first gunner - use auto-aim to stun him using Mk.2
The second gunner - DO NOT use auto-aim, it won't hit him. Use manual aim using Mk.2
The third and forth gunner (if I remember correctly, the gunner that will close in from left and right), try to manually aim using Mk.2 and hit at least the gunner on the left side. Auto-Aim won't work here as well.

After that another slow-mo part will happen with 2 jeeps. Don't use auto-aim. Don't even aim at the gunners, they won't hit you at all. Try to aim at the soldier right behind the jeeps on the left during the slow-mo with your Mk.2 (manual aim). If you are fast enough, you may also hit the soldier on the right afterwards.

And from this point on, use auto-aim and the solar gun, which makes it really easy.

Driving down the stairs - well, you can do that using stun grenades or by using solar gun as well. Depends on how good you are with the grenades.

edit; jimi_dini, I wish you had posted that an hour and twenty minutes ago :p. A very useful tip, do you know how long so I can add it to the OP?

Don't know exactly. Maybe even 1-2 weeks. Didn't use it this time at all.

Not sure if this is relevant but you can just drum the Beauty to easy stamina drain

hahaha that's awesome. I've never done that before.

I'm on the third part of the bike chase now...

as soon as those FROGS show up I'm dead

edit: wow, killed by the guy on the first truck. How am I supposed to now get hit by this guy?

iLLmAtlc

What really helped me on the 3rd part was firing uncharged solar gun shots. The frogs still die with one hit and you can take out a bunch really fast because of the rate of fire

Truck guy needs one charged solar gun shot when its behind you in that hallway

StuBurns

Banned
Some of that stuff is true, I'd say the vast majority is utter bullshit.

Some of the stuff cut, or not made for MGS2 were incredible. You could control an ocean floor remote control vehicle. MGmkII was originally in MGS1 too.

I got to the end of the third part of the bike chase (the alleyway with the two groups of FROGS) with a sliver of health, and by some miracle (or perhaps because I was throwing smoke grenades everywhere), I actually survived!

Raging Raven sure does go down fast with the anti-material rifle.

2:12:33 play time. Just act 4 and 5 to go!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gg...

now im gonna be depressed for a month, just like in 2008

edit: Also, I feel like quoting COOLIO... but I'm not going to do that today.

What are some strategies to get that door open on Haven's deck? It's easy enough to just use a chaff grenade, but I was curious about other ways to do it. If I don't disable it that way, I can't figure out how to do it.

What are some strategies to get that door open on Haven's deck? It's easy enough to just use a chaff grenade, but I was curious about other ways to do it. If I don't disable it that way, I can't figure out how to do it.

I've always hid behind the boxes left of the door (facing it) and opened it when the Gekko walked away. No fuss, no muss.

I suppose a Smoke grenade wouldn't hurt, though.

jimi_dini

Sneak around on the left side. A gekko will jump down right in front of the door, but will then turn around and walk away. If you time it right, you will have the time to open the door.

How about rail gun to the brain?
Use the Anti-Material Sniper for the Gekkos. If you shoot them in the right spot you can kill them in one hit. If you don't then at most it takes three and the time to fire the Anti-Material Sniper is much shorter than the Ray Gun.

Also, use smoke grenades.

EDIT: And also the above.

One of the MGS4 Integral Podcasts actually has you covered in this instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_oIEi_MDVM

The video is cut into 3 parts, but it has a good route for not being spotted that people may or may not already know about.

Ein Bear

I still can't believe they haven't re-made Metal Gear 1 and 2 yet. Considering how important they are to the overall storyline, they deserve better than a couple of MSX ROMs dumped onto Subsistance. Would be a good chance for them to re-write the games a bit too, Big Boss really doesn't gel with his portrayal in the Solid games.

I still can't believe they haven't re-made Metal Gear 1 and 2 yet. Considering how important they are to the overall storyline, they deserve better than a couple of MSX ROMs dumped onto Subsistance. Would be a good chance for them to re-write the games a bit too, Big Boss really doesn't gel with his portrayal in the Solid games.

My dream is to see them reworked into one game that acts as a bridge between Peacewalker and Metal Gear Solid. And finish the series with that.

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys not sure if this is old but while playing today I discovered a spot where Laughing Octopus and all of her attacks (including those seeking explosives) can't touch you at all. It's right behind that big medical machine:

southamericaresearchl2ba0r.jpg

southamericaresearchl68kzr.jpg

It's a really good spot to be recovering health with or without an iPod song. If you fight her from behind the big machine on the right on the first pic she won't be able to hit you with her tentacles either.

It was only tested on Solid Normal though.

StuBurns

Banned
Game design wise, MGS1 is more or less a remake of MG2. Remaking those games would just make that blatantly clear.

It must be hard for that team, everyone wants something they've already done, or related to their already made games. Remakes of MG1, 2, and MGS1 are all highly demanded. The MGS2:Snake's Perspective we were talking about earlier, people want a Liquid game, a Solidus game, a game with The Boss.

If they did all those, it'd be twenty years till we actually got something completely fresh.

I believe Kojima had the MSX games added to Subsistence in an attempt to reduce demand for remakes, but that just backfires, because people get to see how rad MG2 was. I imagine he did the Shadow Moses thing in 4 partially because people constantly cry out for another remake of MGS1, but all that did was make those cries even louder, and now with the added 'it's half there already, the engine and assets are in place, do it'.

Being such an amazing series is actually it's biggest burden.

Hey guys not sure if this is old but while playing today I discovered a spot on where Laughing Octopus and all of her attacks (including those seeking explosives) can't touch you at all. It's right behind that big medical machine:

It's a really good spot to be recovering health with or without an iPod song. If you fight her from behind the big machine on the right on the first pic she won't be able to hit you with her tentacles either.

It was only tested on Solid Normal though.

What about her roll attack? Can you avoid that there? If so, I'll definitely add it.

Also, "Live Free or Die", you really need to put that in quotes! Never mind, you've already resized it. Oh and well done on the emblem!

Thats like my favourite section in the game. Its been years since I did it so no help (sorry) but I didn't use any nades or cheap tricks. So much more rewarding.

iLLmAtlc

What about her roll attack? Can you avoid that there? If so, I'll definitely add it.

Also, "Live Free or Die", you really need to put that in quotes! Never mind, you've already resized it. Oh and well done on the emblem!

Yeah I was safe from the roll attack also. I could literally just stay there in that prone position for as long as I wanted. I did it multiple times because I was trying to get the Laughing Octopus Statue on my first run of V2.

But it was only tested on Solid Normal so I'd probably feel better about adding it to a BBE guide after someone tested it on Extreme.

Playing through Act 4 with the podcast, disappointed with them cutting some cool ideas for the sake of nostalgia (such as the alternate path to the Warhead Storage). Nostalgia only really works for the first playthrough. Afterwards, the lack of gameplay in the Act really sticks out.

Still bitter with the omission of the classic sneaking suit. Not a fan of the look of the Octacamo suit. Both it and the MGS2 sneaking suit put a little too much emphasis on Snake's ass, glorious as it is.

Yeah I was safe from the roll attack also. I could literally just stay there in that prone position for as long as I wanted. I did it multiple times because I was trying to get the Laughing Octopus Statue on my first run of V2.

But it was only tested on Solid Normal so I'd probably feel better about adding it to a BBE guide after someone tested it on Extreme.

I'll test it tomorrow morning (I still have a save there so I'll be able to do it at around 11am [nine hours roughly from the time of posting]) and add it now with the warning that it needs to be verified for Extreme.

I've always hid behind the boxes left of the door (facing it) and opened it when the Gekko walked away. No fuss, no muss.

I suppose a Smoke grenade wouldn't hurt, though.

Hmm, I thought about using a smoke grenade but I figured that laser thing would detect me in there anyway.

It's weird how rare chaff grenades are in this game. I've only found the ones on the helipad and another batch stashed in a random corner in Act 3.

Thats like my favourite section in the game. Its been years since I did it so no help (sorry) but I didn't use any nades or cheap tricks. So much more rewarding.

It's a good stealth workout. Damn shame there wasn't like a half dozen more sections like this in Haven. What a waste.

Hmm, I thought about using a smoke grenade but I figured that laser thing would detect me in there anyway.

It's weird how rare chaff grenades are in this game. I've only found the ones on the helipad and another batch stashed in a random corner in Act 3.

It may not help with the Gekko, the smoke grenades are mainly for any Haven Troops that come along while you open the door. It's advisable to throw smoke grenades and when the Gekko turns around you run in and open the door.

SamuraiX-

http://blogs.vandal.net/9964/vm/192730572010

Supposedly the original game plan. Anyone know if this is real? If it is, goddamn. It's a recurring thing with the series, the final games themselves turn out great, but the original plans make the final thing seem disappointing.

Yup. I remember a lot of those promises from Kojima. It really is a shame. A lot of the gameplay stuff was just too ambitious on their part, I suppose. I mean, shit, they couldn't even finish the level design for Act 5.

I've always wondered what could've been if they had at least one more year with the game...

Yeah, it's a shame. It was in development for quite a while, yet it still feels like they cut out quite a bit due to time constraints. Still waiting for a Sub version with extra stuff, like a cutscene theatre and VR missions. Something like the Snake Tales from MGS2 would be awesome, focus more on providing unique gameplay twists rather than the story. Ah well, can't wait for the MGS5 unveiling. A new MGS game is always a major event for me.

Also, the idea mentioned in the link about emphasizing character expressions over using dialogue to state the obvious would've been a godsend. Watching the cutscenes, a lot of the dialogue just feels incredibly forced and unnatural, and blatantly just there for exposition purposes. MGS1 felt a lot better in this regard, which I think was probably due to Jeremy Blaustein actually editing the original script to come across better in English. Apparently, Kojima didn't like that, so since MGS1, the translators have had to be more constrained when putting it in English. Hell, that audio flashback in Otacon's lab to the meeting with Gray Fox shows this pretty well. The version from The Twin Snakes seems kinda artificial, while the original version was a helluva lot better. Though the rather unenthusiastic voice acting in Twin Snakes probably contributed. I miss Hayter's voice from MGS1, Snake sounded less like a caricature.

SamuraiX-

Had no idea about all that with the writing for the previous games. I was always wondering why I loved MGS1 so much from the standpoint of its presentation of the story.

Seems like not bringing back Blaustein was one of the worst decisions Kojima ever made. He would've done wonders if he stuck around as Zimmerman's assistant for the rest of the games. :(

I played MGS1 on my PSP recently, and the cutscenes and stuff are much shorter than I remember. Characters actually get to the fucking point, and there's much less parrot exposition than in the later games. Also, kinda disappointed by how the genuine friendship between Snake and Campbell gets downplayed in 4. I liked their dynamic in 1, how its suggested that he'll end up betraying you, but he doesn't.

BTW, did Kojima ever address that Dr Madnar stupidity from Act 3?

http://blogs.vandal.net/9964/vm/192730572010

Supposedly the original game plan. Anyone know if this is real? If it is, goddamn. It's a recurring thing with the series, the final games themselves turn out great, but the original plans make the final thing seem disappointing.

Man I wish they would make a substance version of 4 that showed early art work and designs So we could at least see what could have been.

I'd also love to see what was cut from 2

I remember seeing an old trailer which had Snake in some kind of mech, surrounded by guards in a snowy field, and he was taking them out with a machine gun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seems like not bringing back Blaustein was one of the worst decisions Kojima ever made. He would've done wonders if he stuck around as Zimmerman's assistant for the rest of the games. :(

Didn't Kojima want him, but Konami said "LOL NO?"

See if you can find it

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RRRyFCU5wqE

It's from a 1999 internal alpha video that was included with the document of mgs2. Looks like I mis-remembered, it's not a mech, but Snake covered in weapons for some reason. Skip to 5 minutes. Also, nice to see the USP without recoil and ridiculous amounts of guards.

With regards to Blaustein, Kojima hated what he did with MGS1. Doubt he wanted him back.

Top Bottom