• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

Good lord :p

Agree though, I love MGS2, it's still probably got my favourite core stealth gameplay in the series. Camo and such in the later games are cool additions, but I feel that they kind of spoiled the gameplay a little bit, by making the focus more on slowly crawling across the ground over manipulating the enemies. Going for perfect stealth in MGS2 is much more satisfying.

I just Platinumed the HD version before the MGS4 patch landed, and loved every second, the dog tags never really felt like a chore.

Admittedly nine for a game I didn't like was a bit obsessive but everything needed to be done :p.

Definitely agree with you about the dog tags and it always surprises me when people complain about them. Not only do they carry excellent rewards for collecting them but there's still quite a bit of a challenge to get them and it forces you to play differently. As you've said, it requires manipulation of the enemies to avoid getting caught while holding them up and also makes you try difficulties that you otherwise wouldn't. Although, I guess for the HD Collection if you're just doing them solely for trophies it's understandable that it may seem like a chore but otherwise I just don't really understand why so many people seem to dislike them.

RyanardoDaVinci
, did you use the PDF version or another saved version as opposed to the original post? The PDF is missing the Flashback in Act 4 after the Rex vs. Ray battle. It had been added yesterday morning and I've been notifying Donald Bubbins of any changes but unfortunately that hasn't yet been updated so hopefully it can be done soon. The flashbacks are cumultative so all you have to do is watch that cutscene in a future playthrough if you missed the hidden ones after the Rex vs Ray battle. If you got those ones, all I can suggest is maybe while you were in the Mark 2 in the briefings you missed one but I followed the guide in the original post for the flashbacks and skipped everything else and got the trophy so that's the only thing I can suggest.

RyanardoDaVinci
, did you use the PDF version or another saved version as opposed to the original post? The PDF is missing the Flashback in Act 4 after the Rex vs. Ray battle. It had been added yesterday morning and I've been notifying Donald Bubbins of any changes but unfortunately that hasn't yet been updated so hopefully it can be done soon. The flashbacks are cumultative so all you have to do is watch that cutscene in a future playthrough if you missed the hidden ones after the Rex vs Ray battle. If you got those ones, all I can suggest is maybe while you were in the Mark 2 in the briefings you missed one but I followed the guide in the original post for the flashbacks and skipped everything else and got the trophy so that's the only thing I can suggest.

I just constantly pressed X through every cutscene, even when I knew there wasn't going to be any (I've beaten the game 23 times beforehand), just to be sure.

It's most likely in a Briefing, I'm thinking Act 2.

legacyzero

Banned
Seriously, who fucking decided to cut MGO, knowing they would be patching in Trophies?!

The world is revisiting the game right now because of this, and they would have had massive traffic! DLC sales, etc.

Dammit Konami, are you stupid or something??

dan2026

MGS4 just feels like massively wasted potential to me.

What happened to all the 'stealth in the middle of a battlefield' bull that Kojima kept spouting.
You did that at most twice in the entire game.

Also the Beauty and the Beast crew were terrible and completely unmemorable characters.
When you have to have a guy explain their backstory after every fight, to try and make you care about them, something has gone very wrong.

What happened to 'show don't tell'?

All that said. I did still like this game somehow.
Any game that ends with two old men beating the crap out of each other, is ok in my book.

News Bot

Banned
MGS4 just feels like massively wasted potential to me.

What happened to all the 'stealth in the middle of a battlefield' bull that Kojima kept spouting.
You did that at most twice in the entire game.

Also the Beauty and the Beast crew were terrible and completely unmemorable characters.
When you have to have a guy explain their backstory after every fight, to try and make you care about them, something has gone very wrong.

What happened to 'show don't tell'?

Kojima talks a lot of shit early in development. Same thing happened with MGS3. "Open jungle", "many different paths to objective". The whole hunt for food mechanic was painfully tacked on, camouflage was pathetic, cure menu tedious, so on and so forth.

MGS4 also hilariously had "A vs B vs C vs D". In the end there were like two pathetically short segments of A vs B and that was it.

StuBurns

Banned
Seriously, who fucking decided to cut MGO, knowing they would be patching in Trophies?!

The world is revisiting the game right now because of this, and they would have had massive traffic! DLC sales, etc.

Presumably there will be a multiplayer component of Rising, and they want the fanbase to move over?

I remember Payton speculating on a podcast that they'd want MGO iterations more often than the real game releases, so an MGO every couple of years, a MGS every three or four. Clearly that plan (assuming it was the intent at the time) went to shit. And they're hoping an action based multiplayer might be more palpable.

I just finished MGS2, first time in almost ten years, still rad.

The timing really seems intentional so they could use the low population excuse while they could.

Ridley327

I suspect that we won't see any MGO-related modes until MGS5; with the release date for Rising being all but guaranteed to be February, we surely would have heard something about one by now.

Desmond

Presumably there will be a multiplayer component of Rising, and they want the fanbase to move over?

I remember Payton speculating on a podcast that they'd want MGO iterations more often than the real game releases, so an MGO every couple of years, a MGS every three or four. Clearly that plan (assuming it was the intent at the time) went to shit. And they're hoping an action based multiplayer might be more palpable.

I just finished MGS2, first time in almost ten years, still rad.

No MP In MGR as far as I know.

I also finished 2 again yesterday. Goddamn Vamp trophy didn't pop.

AI Colonel/ Raiden's conversations are still phenomenal. Still my favourite game of all time, without a doubt. Sublime.

StuBurns

Banned
I suspect that we won't see any MGO-related modes until MGS5; with the release date for Rising being all but guaranteed to be February, we surely would have heard something about one by now.
I've just googled, apparently they've already confirmed no multiplayer.

Strange, maybe MGS5 isn't as far off as I expected.

Ridley327

I've just googled, apparently they've already confirmed no multiplayer.

Strange, maybe MGS5 isn't as far off as I expected.

Isn't some kind of announcement expected at the FOX Engine presentation later this month? I mean, can they really get away with another "look how awesome our multiplatform engine is; can you tell the difference between the two shots of our favorite spot in the local IKEA?" presentation?

StuBurns

Banned
They almost certainly need to be shipping in the next eighteen months, so it would be nice to see it unveiled this week, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold off till TGS and Sony's conference.

BadWolf

No MP In MGR as far as I know.

I also finished 2 again yesterday. Goddamn Vamp trophy didn't pop.

AI Colonel/ Raiden's conversations are still phenomenal. Still my favourite game of all time, without a doubt. Sublime.

*high five*

They almost certainly need to be shipping in the next eighteen months, so it would be nice to see it unveiled this week, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold off till TGS and Sony's conference.

You expect it to be a PS3 exclusive?

I agree. It doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't just put MGO up on PSN seperately as a free download while lowering the cost of the DLC packs removing the Konami ID (if possible), changing the patch system (again, if possible) while tackling the amount of cheaters and the amount of exploits there were to encourage more people to play it and thus be able to make money off the DLC by making the game available to much more people instead of just shutting it down when MGS5 seems to be quite far away. With the addition of trophies, making MGO free to play may not have even been necessary considering, as you've said, the amount of people that are returning to it (of course, maybe it really isn't enough but surely it was worth holding out a little longer).

It's such a shame though. Although I didn't really like my experience with the community in general, the game was incredibly fun and had some excellent concepts and features (the wide variety of communication options that were available and the sneaking gametypes were incredible, as was the idea of the tournament system).

legacyzero

Banned
I agree. It doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't just put MGO up on PSN seperately as a free download while lowering the cost of the DLC packs removing the Konami ID (if possible), changing the patch system (again, if possible) while tackling the amount of cheaters and the amount of exploits there were to encourage more people to play it and thus be able to make money off the DLC by making the game available to much more people instead of just shutting it down when MGS5 seems to be quite far away. With the addition of trophies, making MGO free to play may not have even been necessary considering, as you've said, the amount of people that are returning to it (of course, maybe it really isn't enough but surely it was worth holding out a little longer).

It's such a shame though. Although I didn't really like my experience with the community in general, the game was incredibly fun and had some excellent concepts and features (the wide variety of communication options that were available and the sneaking gametypes were incredible, as was the idea of the tournament system).

Seriously!

Konami only JUST shut down MGO more than a month ago!! Patch release 1 month later. They seriously couldn't fucking wait another 6 months post patch?!

Man, now I pissed again :(

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
As much as I adored MGO it was beyond saving. Konami did not give a single fuck about it. Hackers ruined MGO and Konami did absolutely dick to fix it.

If MGO was still up and running this thread would be filled with people complaining how broken it is.

Fucking Konami just doesn't give a fuck when it comes to product support. All of the online versions of Metal Gear have been like this.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

*looks at their treatment of the Silent Hill HD collection*

Do you even need to ask?

Edit: Started replaying this the other day. Man, some of these cutscenes are brutally long. Still a great game though, even if I suck at stealth games and generally just play it as a shooter with mild stealth elements. And that fucking soda-sippin' monkey :lol

Ein Bear

I really hope they do reveal MGS5 later this month, I've got some serious Metal Gear hype going at the minute.

They've been hinting that it's going to be another Big Boss game, right? Though I recall Kojima saying his original plan, pre-Rising, was to have it star The Boss and the Cobras.

StuBurns

Banned
It's been almost fifteen years, and we still haven't got our real MGS1 sequel, still young Snake, cleaning up the world with Campbell, Otacon and Meryl.

As much as I'd like to see a complete refresh of the series, with an all new cast, I would love to see the return to that turn of the century fever dream of pre-Raiden.

I also still want the MGS2:Snake's Perspective we all dare dreamed of.

StuBurns

Banned
Replaying 2 today, it'd be so perfect, you constantly know what Snake is up to, vaguely, he even has 'boss fights' with the ninja and fortune you never see.

In fact, they have the engine up on Vita, all those assets in place. Well, no better time than the present.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You expect it to be a PS3 exclusive?
despite Rising & the HD Collection.....yes, I do for some reason, and if not I expect the 360/Wii U version to be handled by another development team, or with KP but without Hideo at the helm
might sound crazy, but Hideo has never developed a MGS game on a none Sony machine, and same with MG1, the NES version had nothing to do with Hideo Kojima.
perhaps he perfers solely to focus on 1 product at a time without the worry of other version, but yeah as far Hideo Kojima goes I think he focus on PS3.

spats

There's no way he'd stay on one platform in this day and age. The console landscape has changed and he has a business to run.

for MGS5 I bet there is a bunch of Vita - Ps3 stuff but it will also be on 360 + whatever else makes sense.

Koji Pro spent years making the Fox Engine multiplat and they are gonna use it.

Also OMFG its real hard to find a copy of MGS4 at retail here. I eventually found a used copy of the platinum version. Its the EU platinum version so it has THE WORST BOX ART EVER.

Ugly yellow and silver boarder + Logo's everywhere on the box art it self.

TGO

Yeah thats why I said if it wasn't it'll be handed off to another team.
and MGS4 was released when exclusives wasn't viable either, so that don't mean anything, but I'm expecting multiplatform with PS3 as lead.

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah thats why I said if it wasn't it'll be handed off to another team.
and MGS4 was released when exclusives wasn't viable either, so that don't mean anything, but I'm expecting multiplatform with PS3 as lead.
What does 'handed off to another team' mean? They're developing on a multiplatform engine.

TGO

What does 'handed off to another team' mean? They're developing on a multiplatform engine.
Sorry not techy, does that mean 1 souce code fits all?, I thought they did it separate

for MGS5 I bet there is a bunch of Vita - Ps3 stuff but it will also be on 360 + whatever else makes sense.
[codec call] Hold it, Snake!
SNAKE - What is it
OTACON - Time to change the disc. you need to swap disc 1 for disc 2.
SNAKE - Wait What!......Nice try Otacon.
OTACON - No Snake I'm seriously this time, We're multiplatform now, I know. It's a pain. But you need to swap disc 1 for disc 2. You see the disc labeled 2?
SNAKE - Disc labeled 2 uh, ok.......wait theres 6 disc Otacon!
OTACON - Yeah about that....you're gonna have to do this a few times Snake....
SNAKE - WHAT! Damnit, Otacon!

Just a joke, but that would be funny.

Ridley327

I really hope they do reveal MGS5 later this month, I've got some serious Metal Gear hype going at the minute.

They've been hinting that it's going to be another Big Boss game, right? Though I recall Kojima saying his original plan, pre-Rising, was to have it star The Boss and the Cobras.

Yeah, it's looking to be about Big Boss's involvement during the Rhodesian Civil War.

StuBurns

Banned
Sorry not techy, does that mean 1 souce code fits all?
You have to compile for each platform, but it depends how the engine works really.

PS3 will almost certainly be lead SKU in terms of gameplay programming, the 360 is a much better general use architecture, so threading on PS3 can be easily moved to 360, but the opposite is much more difficult. Which is why games lead on PS3 generally are much closer in final performance. MGS5 will no doubt be doing that, they've made that decision with Rising, they have experience with the hardware, and huge resources to allow it.

Kojima talks a lot of shit early in development. Same thing happened with MGS3. "Open jungle", "many different paths to objective". The whole hunt for food mechanic was painfully tacked on, camouflage was pathetic, cure menu tedious, so on and so forth.

MGS4 also hilariously had "A vs B vs C vs D". In the end there were like two pathetically short segments of A vs B and that was it.

I definitely disagree with this part. I just platinumed MGS3 pretty recently and I must say hunting for all the animals was quite fun. Definitely wasnt tacked on. I'll agree the cure system was tedious though. Nothing has really ever been tacked on in a MGS game, whether its a success or not. I dont know what was so pathetic about the camouflage either, for its time it was really cool and a great evolution for the franchise. Thats what I love most about the MGS games. Every time Kojima does a sequel theres so many new mechanics that it feels like a true evolution for the franchise compared to its sequels. talking gameplay completely here.

MGS2 added FP view for example. That was huge. MGS3 added camouflage system, jungle environment, hunting mechanic. MGS4 added octocamo, over the shoulder shooting, fully controllable camera, revamped controls, new radar system, much different mission structure, ect ect.

No other series does it like MGS with its sequels. Its always just more of the same but bigger. They really try new things an take risks with MGS. Rising is a perfect example of this too, and it probably why the dev cycles are so long.

Loxley

I'm playing through MGS4 for the first time, I haven't touched the series since I gave Twin Snakes a try about six years ago. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm up to the point where the FROGS first appear after you meet up with Meryl. The gameplay is pretty damn solid, the shooting isn't the greatest in the world, but then again this clearly is not meant to be a shooter in any strict sense.

Ridley327

It's safe to say that MGS5 will lead on PS3, just because that's what KojiPro is more comfortable with, but it's been clear for a while now that Konami and Kojima want MGS to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, since they've got fuck-all else in their roster that can do that.

TGO

It's safe to say that MGS5 will lead on PS3, just because that's what KojiPro is more comfortable with, but it's been clear for a while now that Konami and Kojima want MGS to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, since they've got fuck-all else in their roster that can do that.
Yeah, I consider KojiPro the last of the greats from Japan who still remembers how to make a game, if it budgets more great games from them I'm all for it.

I'm playing through MGS4 for the first time, I haven't touched the series since I gave Twin Snakes a try about six years ago. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm up to the point where the FROGS first appear after you meet up with Meryl. The gameplay is pretty damn solid, the shooting isn't the greatest in the world, but then again this clearly is not meant to be a shooter in any strict sense.

If you play the other games before playing MGS4 you'll really see how the shooting mechanics is the biggest upgrade over the previous games lol. Its definitely not the greatest like you say, but compared to the others the difference is night and day.

Yea I agree. I definitely don't think MGS5 will be exclusive anymore since the big thing about the Fox engine is its multiplatform. Although if its a PS4 game it might be a different story. Is the Fox Engine being billed as a next gen engine? It would be weird and frankly stupid to release a current gen engine as the generation is near its end, but I remember seeing screen shots of the engine before and while it looked great it clearly didn't look next gen.

jimi_dini

Yeah, so when you die in that boss fight on your BBE run, you have to exit and load game from that save that was in the middle of the cutscenes before it and skip them all all over again, haha

Yes, it even tries to trick you and you have to select the right choice twice.

But he is easy to exploit. Going through the game again on BBE showed me, why I really don't like it at all. ALL the bosses have glitches/issues, which can be exploited. Which makes the whole game a piece of cake, even on the hardest difficulty. And the chase in act 3 also has a trick to it, which makes it much easier.

And the whole purchase ammo at any time from drebin is just the worst design flaw. I mean who thought it was a good idea to implement it that way. At "least" they removed anesthetic ammo from the shop on hardest difficulty.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Finally finished my no kill no alert run through, I kept getting distracted by real world events to actually play the game.

The only four trophies I'm missing now are "Divine Wind", "Sounds of the Battlefield", "I just don't fear death" and "I am the expert on weapons". For the Devine wind trophy is it not possible to get it in the last act or is being on the boat not really work as being outside? luckily I made a save just at the last playing part of the game so I can buy it and quickly run through into a new game with it.

As for the othe trophies, I'm not sure I will ever get around to actually getting the platinum trophy, going through the game 8+ times or whatever it is getting amounts of certain things over and over, well, I'm not sure I can be bothered.

Though I think I might just move onto the MGS HD Collection I've had sitting around unopened, MGS2 looks like it would take ages to do but at least it just one play through on each difficulty and then the VR missions, and I already did all this back in the day so it hopefully wouldn't be too much of a pain in the ass.

Act 3:
Total Play Time: 30:43:20
Continues: 81
Alert Phases: 152
Total Kills: 677
LIFE Recovery Items Used: 41
Weapon Types Acquired: 43
Flashbacks Viewed: 105
Special Items: Not Used
CQC Uses: 148
Headshots: 351
Knife Kills/Knockout: 7
Wall Press Time: 03:18:56
Sideway Rolls: 227
Forward Rolls: 576
Crawling Time: 02:43:08
Crouch Walking Time: 09:06:11
Time in Cardboard Box/Drum: 01:11:38
Combat Highs: 18
Weapons/Items Acquired: 1461
Total Drebin Points from Sales: 587118
Current Drebin Points: 349857

I CQC the resistance guy and the guards lol. I kept syringing them. Only thing left is recovery items. Knife kills will be on a different playthrough. Taking a break.

mhh Boss&Cobras messing with WW2 would be interesting... not sure if I want another BB game. Playing Peace Walker HD I feel like I'm already fed up with him. But that could be because of the game itself, ugh portable gameplay design, I remember people calling this MGS5 :lol

Personally, I still want them to go with the original Rising setting, rescuing Sunny & capture+escape of Raiden. It was so obvious that they left this story arc open for the very reason of having another game based on it. There is almost no info in MGS4 about those events/time period and only a bit in the MGS database.

Act 2 complete. 1:31:26 total play time. I think I'm doing pretty good. I probably had about the same time on my first BBE run since that save file is a little over 4 hours.

Ugh, the bike chase is coming up -_-

Top Bottom