• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

Berek76

Phantom Pain is the Tanker/Virtuous Mission and Ground Zeroes the Plant chapter/Snake Eater then I take it?

I think Ground Zeros takes place before Phantom Pain because of the "horn" and mechanical hand.

But it could be easily everything else, that's just Kojima!

duckroll

Ground Zeroes is at the earliest 1979 because of the Walkman. I'd say it is probably 1980ish and The Phantom Pain is therefore about 1990ish.

No. It's 1974. It takes place right after Peace Walker ends, within days. There's a walkman in Peace Walker, it's even part of the "plot". It's a Sony prototype or some bullshit. Kojima doesn't give a fuck. :p

Uiki

No. It's 1974. It takes place right after Peace Walker ends, within days. There's a walkman in Peace Walker, it's even part of the "plot". It's a Sony prototype or some bullshit. Kojima doesn't give a fuck. :p

Nope.

Big Boss rescues Frank Jaeger from a FRELIMO prison camp in Mozambique.

9 years in coma..can't be.

No Hayter is incredible disappointing. Hayter has done a great job throughout the series and I'd rather have him return than hear fucking Jack Bauer or be reminded of a Ford commercial everytime he speaks. There is a bit of a disconnect that happened as Big Boss spoke in the gameplay bit that was shown that drew me out because it was Keifer Sutherland and I immediately just tuned out. Changing Big Boss voice again is bizarre... it goes from Hayter, to Doyle, to Hayter, to Sutherland. If anything, they should have gotten John Cygan to do the voice of Big Boss from the beginning, given that Solidus was a perfect clone of Big Boss and that was closest we would have got to his voice. Would've made more sense than either of the others. That I'm going to be hearing Sutherland all the time in the game now is disappointing. I like him, but his voice is far to recognizable and familiar with other properties that it is just disappointing.

Otherwise, the game looked incredible. I'm not a fan of the game being PS3 / 360. I'd rather it be moved to the next-gen consoles instead, but hopefully we see something at E3. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft nets the next-gen announcement of the game on the Durango when they unveil the console, too.

I'm excited for the prospect of another mainline Metal Gear Solid game, but for some reason (voice is a big deal) my excitement is tempered a bit this time. Strange.

Why would he be asked back if they wanted someone else to play Snake in the first place?

The thing is though, why would he tweet this last month

ScreenShot2013-03-05at31557PM_zps1793672e.png

if he wasn't in on this whole thing and he wasn't in communication with Kojima about all this? And then to tweet again in such a tongue-in-cheek fashion saying he had a good run and that they didn't ask him back? He makes it sound like Kojima just left him out in the dark or something.

Nope.

Those dates are from the old 2D Metal Gear games, which have been retconned to hell. According to them, Big Boss lost his eyes in the late eighties to end his field career, is part-Japanese, and fought in World War II.

Has anyone pointed out the 9 year coma doesn't make sense? Even if this takes place immediately after Peace Walker, he'd be in a coma until 1983. Nevermind he's busy saving Grey Fox in 1977 and bringing him and Naomi to the US in 1980. There is no 9 year gap in Big Boss's life until after MG2 in 1997.

So it's either somebody other than Big Boss or the subtitle of this game should be Inception.

Sky Chief

Ah, I don't remember that.
Was the Walkman what Cecile used to record the birds or what?

duckroll

Nope.

Since when did MGS timelines match up perfectly from game to game. :p

The only people who refuse to believe that Ground Zeroes takes place in 1974 are people who never played Peace Walker. Otherwise the Ground Zeroes trailer's dialogue makes it really clear.

Uiki

Those dates are from the old 2D Metal Gear games, which have been retconned to hell. According to them, Big Boss lost his eyes in the late eighties to end his field career, is part-Japanese, and fought in World War II.

I DUNNO WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYOMRE.

First TeamCG, then this.

Fuck.

Has anyone pointed out the 9 year coma doesn't make sense? Even if this takes place immediately after Peace Walker, he'd be in a coma until 1983. Nevermind he's busy saving Grey Fox in 1977 and bringing him and Naomi to the US in 1980. There is no 9 year gap in Big Boss's life until after MG2 in 1997.

So it's either somebody other than Big Boss or the subtitle of this game should be Inception.

MG2 takes place in 1999. I don't think Naomi's emigration to the US is ever given a solid date. Gray Fox's backstory has been retconned to fuck by Portable Ops.

Stick to Zelda timelines. :p

Laranja

if he wasn't in on this whole thing and he wasn't in communication with Kojima about all this? And then to tweet again in such a tongue-in-cheek fashion saying he had a good run and that they didn't ask him back? He makes it sound like Kojima just left him out in the dark or something.

Yep. He has to be in on it. I'm
kinda
definitely sure of it.

duckroll

Peace Walker is the mgs I like the most :p

Maybe you should watch the Ground Zeroes trailer again. They clearly talk about how they found out Paz is alive 10 days ago, and that she washed up somewhere and was found by fishermen. It takes place right after Peace Walker ends.

Raiden

Banned
Hayter was already tweeting a few days ago asking fans how they would feel if he didn't voice Snake in the next game. He knew. It's clearly a ruse. :p

Exactly. Also like someone else mentioned in MGS4 we both had Big Boss and Snake. BB was a different vocie actor as well. Pretty sure we'll have some sort of Solid Snake Hayter in there. And Kiefer just doing Big Boss which is a fucking excellent choice. Also David Hayter isa professional, i really doubt anyone being booted from their line of work would tweet something like that. Especially not Hayter.

Second also, Solid Snake his real name in the games is David. Kojima wont ditch Hayter nor the fans like that. I would actually bet serious money on David Hayter still doing Snake.

Edit: Kojima is just the mastertroll. There are tons of people on David Hayter facebook pages, twitter accounts etc moaning how he is not in the game. See them jump for joy in the next trailer or whatever.

MG2 takes place in 1999. I don't think Naomi's emigration to the US is ever given a solid date. Gray Fox's backstory has been retconned to fuck by Portable Ops.

Stick to Zelda timelines. :p

Trolljima ...

But yea, got that MG2 date mixed up, but pretty sure Naomi's immigration was around 1980. Point is Bog Boss was active fighting on wars in the late 70s through the 80s leading into the events of MG. So unless this is a Trolljima special, the 9 year coma is BS.

Hayter was already tweeting a few days ago asking fans how they would feel if he didn't voice Snake in the next game. He knew. It's clearly a ruse. :p
Wish more people would realise this.

After MGS2, I can't believe how gulible people are when it comes to MGS news. Kojima is a massive troll.

RangerBAD

Exactly. Also like someone else mentioned in MGS4 we both had Big Boss and Snake. BB was a different vocie actor as well. Pretty sure we'll have some sort of Solid Snake Hayter in there. And Kiefer just doing Big Boss which is a fucking excellent choice. Also David Hayter isa professional, i really doubt anyone being booted from their line of work would tweet something like that. Especially not Hayter.

Second also, Solid Snake his real name in the games is David. Kojima wont ditch Hayter nor the fans like that. I would actually bet serious money on David Hayter still doing Snake.

I could have thought of a few better people. Kurt Russell for the epic jaw drops or Harrison Ford. He plays games! He did those Vita commercials. Kiefer is too associated with "DAMMIT!". lol

Unless my ears are deceiving me, the GZ trailer from last year had the regular Japanese VA for Snake (Akio something I believe).

It doesn't make sense not to use Hayter, nor is it fair.

Amir0x

Banned
That's closer to the visual prowess I expected of MGS4. Curious about a Metal Gear game again first time in a while, open world Metal Gear sounds ace.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Or maybe he heard a month ago that recording sessions for the game have started and he hadn't heard anything, so he made that tweet as a way to tell Kojima "yo I'm interested in reprising my role as Snake."

I dunno. We can't know anything for sure until there's an announcement, but I wouldn't be surprised if Konami just didn't tell him anything because they wanted someone else for the role.

Unless my ears are deceiving me, the GZ trailer from last year had the regular Japanese VA for Snake (Akio something I believe).

It doesn't make sense not to use Hayter, nor is it fair.

My guess is that Hayter will be on the "prologue part" and that it change after being in coma to the new voice.

The same will happen in the JP version...maybe...

Top Bottom