• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

Andrefpvs

PlayStataion!

8y77p3y.png
http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/en/

Uiki

Maybe you should watch the Ground Zeroes trailer again. They clearly talk about how they found out Paz is alive 10 days ago, and that she washed up somewhere and was found by fishermen. It takes place right after Peace Walker ends.

Didn't remember that part. I'm watching it.

Yep, you're kinda right. They said that "10 days ago" they got a report that she was still alive.

So yeah, short time after pw.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Graphically, it looks incredible. Kojima Production's artists are astounding and the Fox Engine is a grand technical achievement.

The gameplay demo. . . not as inspiring.

dc89

So any indication if this is a 2013 game?

I don't think so. Maybe next year.

But I was surprised to hear English though! Maybe I'm really wrong when I say this, but I remember the first few trailers for the previous games have had Japanese audio with English subs.

Is my memory all screwy?

I haven't been able to watch the gameplay vid yet--can anyone actually confirm Keifer voices a character in this game, or are people just saying that because it sounds kinda like him?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Who is the 3rd person at the beginning? Miller asks after they tell him Snake is in a coma "what about him" and I think we are seeing through his eyes too
And why does Snake have a horn?

Danielsan

Man that trailer was truly something else. Say what you will about Kojima and the convoluted mess that MGS has become. The man is pretty much the unparalleled trailer god of the industry and knows how to get people excited!

Berek76

Yes, I'm going with sort-of Fight Club hallucination.

I think Ishmael is BB's sanity trying to watch over BB's body and getting him out of the real coma.

Ahab was known because of his blind rage at Moby Dick and for his need of revenge(ance LOL).

Probably BB is quite mad at those who blowed up Mother Base...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wait, I thought Kiefer Sutherland voices Ishmael?

In the gameplay footage, Ishmael and Big Boss are both voiced by Kiefer. See below for my speculation as to why that is.

Yes, I'm going with sort-of Fight Club hallucination. To recap, this is based on:

-Ishmael and Big Boss are both voiced by Kiefer in the scene.

-Ishmael points back at Big Boss when Big boss asks him who he is.

-Ishmael corrects himself when he goes "I've--we..."

-Ishmael never supports Big Boss's weight to help him out of the hospital. He flips him over at one point, but not in a way that Big Boss wouldn't be able to do himself. Doesn't make sense whatsoever to leave Big Boss flopping around if they're trying to escape together and Ishmael is able to walk.

-Ishmael is a funky sort-of character sort-of omniscient narrator in Moby Dick. He introduces himself, but his attributes as a character fall away entirely as the story progresses. Here, in the very first line of the gameplay footage, Ishmael calls Big Boss "Ahab," so it's a direct reference to the scenario in Moby Dick.

-Obviously all sorts of other hallucinations are taking place. Volgin etc.

I think that should be sufficient ;b

Laranja

I don't think so. Maybe next year.

But I was surprised to hear English though! Maybe I'm really wrong when I say this, but I remember the first few trailers for the previous games have had Japanese audio with English subs.

Is my memory all screwy?

I don't think so. I think Kojima said this was pretty far ahead in development, recently. It would also make little sense to release this as a current-gen after the next-gen consoles arrive. But that's assuming this will stay on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Raiden

Banned
Wait, I thought Kiefer Sutherland voices Ishmael?

There is a good probability that Ismael is Big Boss his imagination. When Big Boss asks Ismael "who are you?" he says "I've ... we've been watching you" and then points to Big Boss. Along with some other clues.

Majukun

i don't care much about the franchise but..how it is possible to make a stelath game that is open world?
sholdn't a stealth game be based on level design?

daripad

I don't know if this is port begging or not, but did they mention a possible next generation release?

i don't care much about the franchise but..how it is possible to make a stelath game that is open world?
Do you remember the third chapter in mgs4? It could work like that.

Watching the gameplay trailer again it's as if the player character actually has two different voices altogether. In the very beginning they both sound like Kiefer Sutherland. Then afterwards, when the player character struggles to get to his feet he sounds completely different. It's almost as if the dialogue between "Ishmael" and the player character are just some kind of hallucinated mental dialogue occurring between him and his imaginary friend and we never actually hear him speak outside of a few grunts that don't really sound like Sutherland at all

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Man that trailer was truly something else. Say what you will about Kojima and the convoluted mess that MGS has become. The man is pretty much the unparalleled trailer god of the industry and knows how to get people excited!

Yup. A true showman.

Nibel

I don't know if this is port begging or not, but did they mention a possible next generation release?

Nope

But: the tech is there. FOX Engine is designed for current gen consoles AND next gen consoles - this is certainly a possibility and I think they'll save the announcement for E3

Also: I think there are chances that there is a PC version coming since the original Metal Gear Rising was planned for a PC release, too

Kaizer

Banned
So would it be fair to say, that Ground Zeroes will be a prologue to The Phantom Pain as Snake's section of MGS2 was a prologue to Raiden's story? Of course, it'll probably be more substantial but that's what I get from Kojima's tweet.

Open world just means you have to walk yourself between levels. Once you get there it is no different.

Top Bottom