• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So would it be fair to say, that Ground Zeroes will be a prologue to The Phantom Pain as Snake's section of MGS2 was a prologue to Raiden's story? Of course, it'll probably be more substantial but that's what I get from Kojima's tweet.

Yes.

Erigu

The guy who wakes up from his coma looks like he might have the piece of shrapnel we see on Big Boss (?)'s head at the end of the trailer. But at the very beginning of the trailer, Big Boss doesn't have that piece of shrapnel.
Current guess: The "third man" from the beginning of the trailer is the one with the piece of shrapnel. He's somehow groomed / conditioned to take on the Big Boss role (so he'd be a Trojan horse, perhaps?). That (and I guess the piece of shrapnel doesn't help) might explain all the hallucinations and "Ishmael" (possibly a manifestation of his original personality?).

PlayStataion!

8y77p3y.png
http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/en/

Strange that Moby Dick Studios is still listed. I thought that was just Kojima trolling, so why would it be listed on the official site? At the end of the GDC talk, Kojima said something like, "And we are hiring for MGSV, so come by our booth. But no openings for Moby Dick."

Laranja

I don't know if this is port begging or not, but did they mention a possible next generation release?

Do you remember the third chapter in mgs4? It could work like that.

I'm pretty sure they didn't, but I think a PS4 and new Xbox version is very likely. They have some pretty decent assets and a great-looking game, there would be no reason not to port the game to the new consoles and take advantage of the extra power to enable all the bells and whistles at a higher rendering resolution with a nice IQ.

Majukun

How is it possible to make an open-world without level design? :p

i mean level design from a gameplay perspective..not a graphical one..so how levels are constructed,not how good they look..usually open world games,given the huge area and the freedom give to the player do not rely heavily on level design..but a good level design is really important in a stealth game

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So this Kiefer Sutherland thing? Has it been verified somewhere or is it just that he sounds like him?

The guy has an extremely distinctive voice. It's either him or Hatsune Miku has gotten a whole lot more complex.

daripad

Nope

But: the tech is there. FOX Engine is designed for current gen consoles AND next gen consoles - this is certainly a possibility and I think they'll save the announcement for E3

Also: I think there are chances that there is a PC version coming since the original Metal Gear Rising was planned for a PC release, too
Thanks! I'll stay tuned then, it is one of my reasons to want a ps4 over a wiiu

Zomba13

To get caught up with Big Boss do I need to play the Portable Ops games or just Peace Walker?

Super hyped about this and I want to be prepared for it.

jett

D-Member
The guy has an extremely distinctive voice. It's either him or Hatsune Miku has gotten a whole lot more complex.

I think you're jumping to conclusions regarding Snake's voice. He sounds like Kiefer first, but when his voice clears up he sounds different.

mr_nothin

Banned
Strange that Moby Dick Studios is still listed. I thought that was just Kojima trolling, so why would it be listed on the official site? At the end of the GDC talk, Kojima said something like, "And we are hiring for MGSV, so come by our booth. But no openings for Moby Dick."

I laffed

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So... Anyone else thinks that the trailer song will be the credits song for the game? Fits a lot with the idea of Big Boss' war against Zero.

We are not your kind of people.
You seem kind of phoney.
Everything's a lie.

Something in your makeup.
Don't see eye to eye.

Don't want to be like you.
Ever in our lives.
We fight when you start talking.
There's nothing but white noise

Ahhh.... Ahhh.... Ahhh.... Ahhh....

Running around trying to fit in,
Wanting to be loved.
It doesn't take much.
For someone to shut you down.
When you build a shell,
Build an army in your mind.

You can't sit still.
And you don't like hanging round the crowd.
They don't understand

You dropped by as I was sleeping.
You came to see the whole commotion.
And when I woke I started laughing.
The jokes on me for not believing.

Speak a different language.
We see through your lies.
Won't be cast as demons,
Creatures you despise.

We are extraordinary people.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
i mean level design from a gameplay perspective..not a graphical one..so how levels are constructed,not how good they look..usually open world games,given the huge area and the freedom give to the player do not rely heavily on level design..but a good level design is really important in a stealth game

I didn't mean how it looks either. Open-worlds (unless procedurally generated) have just as much thought put into them, I'm sure.

Just reading the OP, I'm guessing that the player character is really Solid/us Snake, and the Ishmael character is Big Boss?

Disappointed this isn't Wii U, but excited it exists. Yay for video games!

Also, a fan of Keifer Sutherland but this is still a disappointing change.

Thoraxes

How the fuck does Kojima keep doing it?

He is such a magnificent bastard and I love him for it.

When I think he can't top himself he goes and does stuff like this.

SRTtoZ

Has anyone pointed out the 9 year coma doesn't make sense? Even if this takes place immediately after Peace Walker, he'd be in a coma until 1983. Nevermind he's busy saving Grey Fox in 1977 and bringing him and Naomi to the US in 1980. There is no 9 year gap in Big Boss's life until after MG2 in 1997.

So it's either somebody other than Big Boss or the subtitle of this game should be Inception.

Does anything in MGS ever make sense? Honestly?

I don't know how I feel about Sutherland though...

I just cant get used to it.

Vamphuntr

Just reading the OP, I'm guessing that the player character is really Solid/us Snake, and the Ishmael character is Big Boss?

Disappointed this isn't Wii U, but excited it exists. Yay for video games!

Also, a fan of Keifer Sutherland but this is still a disappointing change.

Solid Snake would be like 11 years old after Big Boss' coma, no? Les Enfants Terribles happened 2 years before Peace Walker. The coma lasts 9 years so that makes 11, right?

Is there something stuck in is head here or not?
VghyTEo.jpg

Funny he seems to be using Zadoornob's false hand, although he'd have to flip the thumb around at least.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is FOX Engine going to be used for anything outside of Konami stuff? Shame if it's just for this and PES... and I guess Castlevania eventually.

Top Bottom