• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 (Working Title) - Fact Sheet (E3 2017 Press Kit)

Also the fact that there's no detail, images, video or anything outside a title image noted this is another no more heroes 3 situation.

They just came with this last week.

Servbot24

Banned
What the hell, why would you want these 3 things?

Because that's what makes Metroid special. Every time there have been NPCs and surface plot in Metroid it just feels so basic sci-fi. Metroid needs to feel like an ancient artifact, like an alien whose language you don't understand.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Players TBD. I wonder if they'll bring back the Hero Shooter mode out of Metroid Prime Hunters given it's all the rage these days.

ckaneo

Because that's what makes Metroid special. Every time there have been NPCs and surface plot in Metroid it just feels so basic sci-fi. Metroid needs to feel like an ancient artifact, like an alien whose language you don't understand.
Well I disagree. The story in fusion is far superior to the one in super metroid.

New dev team makes me nervous. It's so easy to mess this up. Game needs to have:

No NPCs
No dialogue
No set pieces
No surface level plot aside from a brief intro or something
No character development aside from through gameplay

Are they going to resist AAA tropes? It's very rare for any dev to have that much self-control.

I like you.

Shaanyboi

Banned
As long as there's no one on the team writing a lame-ass Samus, or insisting that you can only control the game with a single Joycon...

Well I disagree. The story in fusion is far superior to the one in super metroid.

Fusion is a great game, but its focus on narrative fundamentally impacts its pacing and is quite different than other Metroid titles as a result. Super Metroid has little story but is a much better game for it.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Note: The PDF file was created 2016-05-18 (18 May, 2016)

I don't know what that's about, but it's what the metadata says. Could be some glitch.

Nothing of interest. Can be ignored.

Bit sad that its not developed by Retro but I'm sure Nintendo can pull this off and the description here surely sounds exciting! Hyped for this.

New dev team makes me nervous. It's so easy to mess this up. Game needs to have:

No NPCs
No dialogue
No set pieces

Are they going to resist AAA tropes? It's very rare for any dev to have that much self-control.

Metroid can have a plot and not give up what it is. This is like Star Fox fans wanting only Arwings and nothing more just because they haven't been done super well in the past

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I can't fucking believe this. They've actually announced new Metroid games?

okp66FD.gif

n128

bad news is that Kensuke Tanabe is still involed in METROID PRIME,
there are other better producers..

Menitta

Honestly, I don't want dialogue or NPCs (Like Prime 1) but the last thing I can be right now is picky. Just gimme a good Metroid Prime game. From the sound of this, it'll be good.

I don't want Retro on the Prime sub-series indefinitely, even if their environmental design remains the best in the business. The fundamentals of Prime are pretty well established, and if this is indeed being handled internally in Japan, that could bring a fresh perspective to the first-person experience like the original Prime did back in its day, just by keeping some distance away from western suffusion in modern FPS conventions.

I liked Corruption quite a lot, but I remember that back when it released in 2007 (and even before it, in the superfluous multiplayer battle mode in Echoes) there was reason to worry that Retro was gravitating more towards Halo-chasing western trends than to the out-of-the-box boldness of Prime 1.

DKC6 and Retro Ice Climber (I hope) are still in the cards.

No NPCs
No dialogue
No set pieces

Ah, a Metroid player after my own heart.

Desire to know what Retro is doing intensifies...

Rösti;240577469 said:

I don't know what that's about, but it's what the metadata says. Could be some glitch.

That's... very surprising actually. Could this possibly be a 2018 game? If it's been in development (or at least pre-development) for over a year I wonder why they can't show anything...

My money's on glitch I guess.

ckaneo

Fusion is a great game, but its focus on narrative fundamentally impacts its pacing and is quite different than other Metroid titles as a result. Super Metroid has little story but is a much better game for it.
I disagree. The story in super really leaves a lot to be desired. At the very least the prime series has the data logs, but in my opinion there are just far too many of them.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Desire to know what Retro is doing intensifies...

That's... very surprising actually. Could this possibly be a 2018 game? If it's been in development (or at least pre-development) for over a year I wonder why they can't show anything...

My money's on glitch I guess.
I checked other PDF files from the press kit and they have the same creation date. Well, at least the one for Super Mario Odyssey does.

I'll look into it further.

Justin Bailey

------ ------

No NPCs
No dialogue
No set pieces

I have a ton of faith in Nintendo now after BotW. Plus, they have no one to answer to but themselves.

Servbot24

Banned
The first 2 didn't hurt Zelda at all.
What the hell is wrong with plot and character development?

Make great games is about relentlessly achieving a root vision. Character development and plot points have nothing to do with the core vision of Metroid. It's fluff that distracts from being a singular being. I love character development more than any other story-telling device, but it does not belong in Metroid at all.

Now games can change of course, but when it's been 10 years since we had a decent Metroid game, I just want a Metroid game at this point.

Plus, they have no one to answer to but themselves.

That's not how real life works.

The first 2 didn't hurt Zelda at all.
What the hell is wrong with plot and character development?

He didn't say no character development. He said'character development through gameplay. Basically, i'm not interested in watching cutscenes in my Metroid. Explain it through playing the game, Like Metroid is (was) synonymous for.

Not

Banned
Rösti;240578285 said:
I checked other PDF files from the press kit and they have the same creation date. Well, at least the one for Super Mario Odyssey does.

I'll look into it further.

So it's nothing?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Rösti;240577469 said:

All that means is that they created/copied the template file they used for all their fact sheets then.

Top Bottom