• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 (Working Title) - Fact Sheet (E3 2017 Press Kit)

Nerrel

"Tanabe is leading the project"

I know people are all about Sakamoto bashing, but this concerns me much more than another Sakamoto game would have. Federation Force completely missed the mark when it came to every one of the core elements of Metroid game design- no real exploration, no real powerup collecting, and the atmosphere was totally off base. Other M at least had those elements, even if it didn't prioritize them as it should have. I can't give Tanabe the benefit of the doubt after that, but hopefully he's learned a lot from FF and turns this into a great game. I'm really glad they're making it, but I won't even get the least bit excited about this until we get to see it.

Just hope they follow Metroid Prime 2 and 3's level themes. None of that generic mario level type bullshit from Prime 1.

Give me more alien like hostile worlds; Sancturary fortress, Elysia etc.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
All that means is that they created/copied the template file they used for all their fact sheets then.
Yes, that seems to be it. Most fact sheet share the same template and creation date. So it's nothing of any greater interest.

XenoRaven

I disagree. The story in super really leaves a lot to be desired. At the very least the prime series has the data logs, but in my opinion there are just far too many of them.
Metroid isn't about having a story told, it's about discovering the story.

Fusion is great, but it should be an outlier, not the standard.

Servbot24

Banned
Cut the snark, pal. I mean that they don't have a publisher to answer to. They are independent.

Wasn't being snarky. Didn't know that's what you meant. I still worry about them having the self-control to make this game, just because it's natural to follow trends and think that those are what you're supposed to do.

Croc

Banned

I know people are all about Sakamoto bashing, but this concerns me much more than another Sakamoto game would have. Federation Force completely missed the mark when it came to every one of the core elements of Metroid game design- no real exploration, no real powerup collecting, and the atmosphere was totally off base. Other M at least had those elements, even if it didn't prioritize them as it should have. I can't give Tanabe the benefit of the doubt after that, but hopefully he's learned a lot from FF and turns this into a great game. I'm really glad they're making it, but I won't even get the least bit excited about this until we get to see it.
I think the thing to keep in mind here is that it's most likely FF wasn't aiming for those things in the first place.

I gotta ask...why Sylux? I know he came from that DS game but I never played it. Did he do something cool or was more distinct than the other hunters?

J@hranimo

Banned
New dev team makes me nervous. It's so easy to mess this up. Game needs to have:

No NPCs
No dialogue
No set pieces
No surface level plot aside from a brief intro or something
No character development aside from through gameplay

Are they going to resist AAA tropes? It's very rare for any dev to have that much self-control.

Actually with a NEW team, it's very easy for it to be amazing.

"And introduces a new storyline that ties together the events of the Metroid Prime universe"

Yup. It's definitely Sylux.

250px-Sylux_mph_Artwork.png

He's been involved in the stingers of the last two Prime games.
All but guaranteed. Even back when Hunters came out I assumed there were long term plans for Sylux.

Feffe

He also worked on Metroid Prime 1-3, DKCR and TF3, Luigi's Mansion 2...

Servbot24

Banned
Actually with a NEW team, it's very easy for it to be amazing.

How so?

To me Retro Studios making Metroid Prime is literally a top 5 achievement in the history of game development. Something that extraordinary and basically miraculous is definitely not something that can be expected to be repeated.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Wasn't being snarky. Didn't know that's what you meant. I still worry about them having the self-control to make this game, just because it's natural to follow trends and think that those are what you're supposed to do.

Alright, my bad then, maybe I just need more coffee.

In any event, I agree with all of your points. I hope they pull it off.

JoeInky

I gotta ask...why Sylux? I know he came from that DS game but I never played it. Did he do something cool or was more distinct than the other hunters?

Tanabe likes the character, when he was introduced in MP:H he was said to really hate Samus and the GF, and at the end of Metroid Prime 3, if you get 100%, he's seen following Samus' spaceship.

He's also in the ending of FF, releasing a metroid.

So he's been a planned antagonist or story point of a possible MP4 for a while now.

New dev team actually doesnt sound bad to me. Metroid Prime is one of my top games of all time but it seemed like Retro knew less and less what to do with the series as time went on. I liked 2 less than 1, and 3 less than 2. Getting new blood involved sounds exciting.

"Isolation" = :)

VDenter

Banned
New dev team actually sounds good to me. Metroid Prime is one of my top games of all time but it seemed like Retro knew less and less what to do with the series as time went on. I liked 2 less than 1, and 3 less than 2. Getting new blood involved sounds exciting.

Part of that was probably simple burn out on making Metroid back to back and being limited by technology but now that is not really a problem. However yes i am still excited to see how this new team handles this.

Servbot24

Banned
New dev team actually doesnt sound bad to me. Metroid Prime is one of my top games of all time but it seemed like Retro knew less and less what to do with the series as time went on. I liked 2 less than 1, and 3 less than 2. Getting new blood involved sounds exciting.

Yeah I think it may be fine that Retro's not making it, simply because it's natural to feel compelled to increase the scale of your game as you make new ones, even though that's really not a good thing for Metroid. Honestlyy the NPCs introduced in MP3 may have irreversibly damaged the series, which is Retro's fault.

Why irreversible? Because future games will likely fall into the trap of acknowledging them, when they actually deserve to be summarily dismissed, both because they're terrible characters and because the series needs to not have those types of characters in general.

Dinda

Personally i wouldn't have had anything against a switch to 3rd Person. But it's OK. So excited that we are getting a new one finally!

Now let's wait and see about those new directions.

They wanted to take the series in more interesting directions. Did you never read about Prime 1.5? Did you know they wanted to make Prime 3 a game about Samus taking bounties but Nintendo told them that Samus isn't a bounty hunter?

I don't think Federation Force intended to be a mainline Metroid and was always a spin off IMO. I think there is less concern since this is announced as Prime 4.

I'm a bit disappointed that Retro is not helming this one... but if it is being developed by one of Nintendo's own internal Japanese studios, then I can deal with that.

Top Bottom