• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mevius: Final Fantasy screenshots [Up: more screens and art]

Verger

Banned
I am perfectly happy and all for sexualizing guys. But IMO this outfit just "looks" hideous, and not because it shows off skin. It is just aesthetically not pleasing and doesn't convey "sexy" to me.

That said, it's a personal choice and if it is something that entices women or others, then enjoy. :)

Kosma

Banned
This was good design from SE with half naked feminine blokes

vagrant-story-2.jpg

Not this Mevius shit, just horrible design

HeelPower

I am perfectly happy and all for sexualizing guys. But IMO this outfit just "looks" hideous, and not because it shows off skin. It is just aesthetically not pleasing and doesn't convey "sexy" to me.

That said, it's a personal choice and if it is something that entices women or others, then enjoy. :)

I never got the sexy vibe from this character...

I think they're going for 'cool' here...

Its FF..There will probably be zero explicit content here.

I don't know what people are expecting here.

What's wrong with emasculation or being effeminate?

No idea.

All I know is some people get incensed when males aren't portrayed as square-jawed muscular manly men.

Any traits that a male character has that can be traditionally found in female characters is seen as a negative. And any instance of their body being used for something other than emphasizing power is also seen as a negative like in the first few screenshots shown in the OP.

It seems like some want to restrict the traditional trait exchange to only one direction. That is to say male --> female can be fine to them but female --> male is not.

Trago

I think y'all are drinkin that hater-aid. The character design's fine, I'm sure she will be an awesome protagoni-...Oh that's a guy!?!?

What the fuck Square!

Faerith

Neo Member
Sorry for my Photoshop-antiskills, but I made a (bit lazy) fem-edit out of curiosity...
mevius-final-fantasy_n2jxe_together.png

Personally I noticed how normal the female version seems to me (actually being rather tame due to lack of cleavage),
because such a design would still be rather common for a female char,
whilest the male version still needs getting used to, as it's (still) a more uncommon design;
the last male mainchar I can remember who showed more skin was Ashley Riot (and his nice... pants... ;) ) from Vagrant Story.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
No idea.

All I know is some people get incensed when males aren't portrayed as square-jawed muscular manly men.

Any traits that a male character has that can be traditionally found in female characters is seen as a negative. And any instance of their body being used for something other than emphasizing power is also seen as a negative like in the first few screenshots shown in the OP.

It seems like some want to restrict the traditional trait exchange to only one direction. That is to say male --> female can be fine to them but female --> male is not.

You are better than to make it an Us Vs. Them sorta deal by agreeing with the statement.

The problem is that it is just a shitty design period. Clothing wise. As nothing jives together.

Where as this (MC from Shining Resonance) that Im actually playing currently has an "effeminate" male character which I have zero issues with as the characters outfit design isnt ugly as sin.

Though the game has the idiotic female armor type of design for one of the female protagonists but thats another topic, but since its artwork by tony taka that really shouldnt surprise anyone.

Hell even a good portion of the male MCs from the Tales series could be considered "effeminate" but dont get the hate this POS design does.

Bottom line is this character has an ugly as fuck outfit which is the issue.

Sami+

Tell that to all of the people who defended Cindy's look in the FF15 threads, and then I'll consider it bullshit. Until then, it's quite legitimately still a problem.

Of course it is, I'm not disagreeing. The designs are bullshit. I just don't think it's fair to assume that people calling out this design are totally okay with the (awful) female equivalents.

Lightning looked ridiculous too in her BDSM outfit from LR.

Well... he's quite sexualized.

I'm not really into very muscular guys. But it's neat that male characters are being sexualized, too.

How's it neat? This isn't solving the problem, it's making it worse. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Of course it is, I'm not disagreeing. The designs are bullshit. I just don't think it's fair to assume that people calling out this design are totally okay with the (awful) female equivalents.

Lightning looked ridiculous too in her BDSM outfit from LR.

A good portion of the outfits were shit in LR reason being is that it pretty much destroyed the "stoic" character she was originally made out to be with the first title. Instead got turned into a Barbie doll for lonely Toriyama.

How's it neat? This isn't solving the problem, it's making it worse. Two wrongs don't make a right.
I don't see what's wrong with sexualization. The things I think are wrong with the sexualization of women in the industry is how gendered it is. It's very one-sided.

It's okay for characters to be sexualized sometimes.
I don't think that the answer to the fact that female characters being oversexualized is to sexualize male characters just as much. But I do think it's okay to sexualize characters sometimes.
And I think it's sad that people tend to sexualize female characters, but not male characters as much...

You are better than to make it an Us Vs. Them sorta deal by agreeing with the statement.

The problem is that it is just a shitty design period. Clothing wise. As nothing jives together.

Where as this (MC from Shining Resonance) that Im actually playing currently has an "effeminate" male character which I have zero issues with as the characters outfit design isnt ugly as sin.

Though the game has the idiotic female armor type of design for one of the female protagonists but thats another topic, but since its artwork by tony taka that really shouldnt surprise anyone.

Hell even a good portion of the male MCs from the Tales series could be considered "effeminate" but dont get the hate this POS design does.

Bottom line is this character has an ugly as fuck outfit which is the issue.

The post I was responding to was concerned with effeminate features in male characters, not the outfit specifically. The people I'm talking about would hate the character you posted as well regardless of how much or how little clothing he's wearing. There are people who are uncomfortable with depictions of men that do not align with what they believe men are supposed to be or look like.

It's not an uncommon criticism levied at Japanese games with male protagonists/characters.

Spacejaws

I thought the idea was not stop oversexualising games (which is insulting to me that some company thinks I need to see skin and kinky women before I'll buy their game. There's more to me than that!) not just to equally sexualize everything.

In the end the armour looks guf. And I dont think I'll enjoy staring at some dudes crack for 10+ hours of dungeon crawl.

Am out.

Zoe

There is nothing wrong with the armor, it's the body suit underneath.

There is nothing wrong with skin tight body suits, this one just looks like shit.

Sami+

Is this really a problem, though?

This just...is.

Yes, it is. It's tacky as hell and we should be asking for better from a developer as prominent as Square.

I don't see what's wrong with sexualization. The things I think are wrong with the sexualization of women in the industry is how gendered it is. It's very one-sided.

It's okay for characters to be sexualized sometimes.
I don't think that the answer to the fact that female characters being oversexualized is to sexualize male characters just as much. But I do think it's okay to sexualize characters sometimes.
And I think it's sad that people tend to sexualize female characters, but not male characters as much...

It is sad, which is why we should stop fucking doing it. Throwing men into stupid looking bondage outfits isn't progress, it's more of the same problem.

It is ok for characters to be sexualized when sex is a part of their character. Nobody's complaining about EVA showing her cleavage because that's part of who she is and plays into her role in the plot. Shit like this though? Do you think Ronald McFantasy is just really into bondage or something? Or maybe he escaped some dominatrix dungeon and that's why he looks like he does?

RM8

I don't even see the sexualization in this design, it just looks to me like a usual Final Fantasy over-design, that is a series staple since it left 8-bit systems for the most part, lol.

Takao

Banned
Looks like he belongs on one of those cheap paperback romance novels you see at the store checkout. This is worse than Vaan, IMO.

I also think Cidney should zip up her jacket in XV.

Zoe

For people saying Cidney doesn't fit in, there are other female NPC's in that town walking around in bikini tops.

That's just a terrible outfit design, I can't see that looking good on anyone of any body type. Also hits the dumb idea box of wearing heavy armor everywhere but the head and the adds in the torso as well.

fedexpeon

Banned
So he is wearing a bikini armor as a male?
Actually, this looks worse.
Heck, I wouldn't mind if he was wearing a thong instead.
But this design...geez.

Nerokis

Yes, it is. It's tacky as hell and we should be asking for better from a developer as prominent as Square.

It is sad, which is why we should stop fucking doing it. Throwing men into stupid looking bondage outfits isn't progress, it's more of the same problem.

It is ok for characters to be sexualized when sex is a part of their character. Nobody's complaining about EVA showing her cleavage because that's part of who she is and plays into her role in the plot. Shit like this though? Do you think Ronald McFantasy is just really into bondage or something? Or maybe he escaped some dominatrix dungeon and that's why he looks like he does?

It's a character design. Character design can stem from the desire to appeal to a certain audience, the personal tastes of a designer, the tone of a game, and from a number of other places. Claiming that this design is beyond the pale because it doesn't pass this specific metric for characterization or whatever inherently narrows the entire scope of design, and far more than is warranted. Your idea of "tackiness" is fine, but it's also ridiculous to impose it like a golden standard.

I actually think it's pretty nice to see this sort of male sexualization - the kind with no pretense of also functioning as some sort of power fantasy. It's not merely that I would like to see sexualization equalized across both genders. That's one way to make the industry more inclusive, but more to the point, I think attacking this rigid notion of masculinity is a more powerful way to accomplish that goal.

Devil

Is there a source that clearly states the protagnist is male or is everyone assuming? My gf is a 100% certain it's supposed to be a woman while I really have no clue at all. Strange design.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hahaha, everyone starts freaking out the minute it's a dude in skimpy armor.

I dunno, I like the style. Looks very heroic in a superhero/fantasy sort of way. I'm into it.

Skimpy armor for everyone!

I'm not sure why this guy is wearing an apron. I mean, just take his damn shirt thing off. It looks fucking weird. I'd prefer to see nipples than feel the confusion over his outfit choice.

Honestly, I know characters in this style are going to be "sexualized", but this isn't sexy at all! D<

Hahaha, everyone starts freaking out the minute it's a dude in skimpy armor.

I dunno, I like the style. Looks very heroic in a superhero/fantasy sort of way. I'm into it.

Skimpy armor for everyone!

This isn't sexy though. It's too goofy looking to be sexy or cool.

Since there is often confusion in sexualized game character threads, here's a demonstration of the difference between the typical male power fantasy character designs that are abundant and one that's actually sexualized in the way female character often are. Just need some doa-style ballsack physics and my nightmare is complete.

Zoe

Since there is often confusion in sexualized game character threads, here's a demonstration of the difference between the typical male power fantasy character designs that are abundant and one that's actually sexualized in the way female character often are. Just need some doa-style ballsack physics and my nightmare is complete.

Those female designs are actually grounded in fashion. This one is grounded in shit.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I'm positive the problem is how there's huge imposing thigh guards, then this

theproblem7zrle.jpg
k

It's nsfw so it cannot be posted, but it's a clear example of that tweet with a ninja dressed like a woman with his dingaling wrapped in white tape.

The butt part of the costume is probably the worst part of the whole design. So weird...

mmh, multiple costumes?

Perhaps different because of the job system.

This is not good design. He still looks passable in the key visual but in-game wise it's just bad.

Top Bottom