• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mevius: Final Fantasy screenshots [Up: more screens and art]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Should of just made it a bigger console game...

Main character looks... cool

They were pretty explicit about why it's for smartphones:

Kitase says that even though you can make games like on dedicated game consoles also on smart phones, there aren't any. That was the reason why they wanted to make one. And also because players nowadays spend most of their gaming time on smart devices.

This was good design from SE with half naked feminine blokes

vagrant-story-2.jpg

Not this Mevius shit, just horrible design

It's easy to praise Ashley's design now because VS is a classic. But do you really think that if it were to come out today that people would be praising his design? His design has his asscheeks hanging out. So if people are upset by this design, then there's no way that Ashley's would go over well. And that's not even getting into his hair.

You mean the guy who did designs like this?

Seems on par with what he usually does.

And yeah, I think if it was a woman wearing that you wouldn't see most people here complain.

Supposedly it was Hideo Minaba who designed Kuja.

This is more in line with what Itahana usually does:

gS7dPZB.jpg

kSKEjec.jpg

Supposedly it was Hideo Minaba who designed Kuja.

This is more in line with what Itahana usually does:

gS7dPZB.jpg

kSKEjec.jpg

Regarding Kuja, I never had a problem with him. One, he felt exotic given his nature(before we know "what" he is, he's basically "that mysterious sorcerer from another continent"). Two, he isn't a warrior(he's technically a sorcerer), hence isn't dressed for physical attacks. The only armored area he has is his dragoon-ish leg armor, which still doesn't give the false impression that he IS a warrior and should be decked out in MORE armor.

And dammit Itahana, I love his Crystal Bearers character designs. I love Layle's look(fur collared,thick jacket with chain mesh shoulder pads). Hell, love his Crystal Chronicles work in general.

Monocle

I'm interested in this game purely for its rare design trait of impractically skimpy male armor that would look right at home next to the ridiculous female "armor" in your typical fantasy based MMO.

Flaunt that body, yes!

(Sure, it would be nice if the costume were actually well designed, but you can't have everything.)

Koozek

I don't know what the fuck happened between the 90s and now but you can't count on Japan for good character design anymore.

I think the problem is just our growing up and changing tastes^^ When I look at some of the designs I liked in 90's/early 2000s games today I often shake my head, too, now^^
My 12-year-old me would have found this Mevius character extremely cool and badass - "Look at that huge armor and the big sword, woooah!". Younger gamers nowadays probably find it cool, too (western ones having grown up with fewer Japanese games maybe less so).

You just have to accept that SE still has the same target audience and age bracket for FFs as back then when we fell in love with it as kids. Kitase even said so himself a few years ago:
“I actually think that it’s a very natural thing for players to grow out of the Final Fantasy series,” he answers. “In terms of the age group we target with each new game, it remains the teens to 20-somethings. That said, you’re right in saying that some of our staff have been working on the series for many years. They are having new experiences and growing and they inevitably do bring those new ideas and perspectives to their work. In Final Fantasy XIII, for example, we have a greater spread of older characters in the story than we have had in the past. Satzu is older, has a family and is not really the kind of character one would normally encounter or play as in the series. But, that said, I think it’s better that we keep the focus on the young generation rather than ageing the series’ appeal. If players choose to stick around and continue playing the games as they grow older then that’s great, but hopefully new generations will find the appeal, grow up with the series and then pass that down to the next generation as they themselves grow older”.

lol GAF on full blast, saw this linked on twitter and recognised the format looked like our forum.

http://bikiniarmorbattledamage.tumblr.com/post/106906034228/wtf-is-he-wearing-ewwww-that-design

So Final Fantasy finally (all puns intended) decided to fully embrace its female-gazey nature and released initial promo pics with a male character not being cool and stoic, but under-dressed, sexy and vulnerable? Me like!

tumblr_myngpxTCgh1r3dkeco2_500.gif

Aaaaand some gamers’ knee-jerk reaction is “Eeew, how is that supposed to be a man?! I’m never playing this!”? Me no like.
…But all the same, I’m not particularly surprised either. Sigh.

While screencapping the worst comments from that forum thread, I also noticed lots of other posts being like "I don’t mind sexy male armor, BUT this particular one is just a shitty design, period.", which is an argument far removed from the reality of current game industry.

The thing is, we’re waaaaay past the “badly designed sexy female armor” quota, so there’s lots of “badly designed sexy male armor” quota to meet. And until balance of the two is restored, I don’t really think anyone is in the position to request male sexyness to be up to some arbitrary design quality standard.

tumblr_nh88wkrOMS1s755fuo5_r4_500.png

tumblr_nh88wkrOMS1s755fuo5_r2_1280.png

google-false-equivalence-shortpacked-by-david-willis.png

Bad design, but it is pretty much female armor tropes applied to a male character. And people generally defend those female armor tropes to the death.

is this what girls feel when they see games with girls wearing skimpy armor?

Pretty much.

But yea I will admit I don't like the skimpyness of the clothes and it has made me think how it must be for women gamers woth some games and marketing etc.

At least it made you think.

I don't see the problem. He chose to wear this, because he's so confident that he doesn't need armour, so it's very empowering. Plus it's just stylized fantasy anyway.

Why are you guys such big prudes? You guys won't be happy until they all wear giant burkas! Stop censoring the artistic vision!

*golf clap*

Taruranto

I love Bikini Armor Battle Damage, but I feel like he's pretty off this time.

While I have no doubt some of the people criticizing this are the same defending bikini armor (hence double standards), I think a lot of people here also think this and the bikini armor look both ridiculous and have no problem with male sexualization. It's just a badly designed armor.

I don't see the problem. He chose to wear this, because he's so confident that he doesn't need armour, so it's very empowering. Plus it's just stylized fantasy anyway.

Why are you guys such big prudes? You guys won't be happy until they all wear giant burkas! Stop censoring the artistic vision!

This comment is no less funny though, eheh.

Some Nobody

lol GAF on full blast, saw this linked on twitter and recognised the format looked like our forum.

http://bikiniarmorbattledamage.tumblr.com/post/106906034228/wtf-is-he-wearing-ewwww-that-design

tumblr_nh88wkrOMS1s755fuo5_r4_500.png

tumblr_nh88wkrOMS1s755fuo5_r2_1280.png

google-false-equivalence-shortpacked-by-david-willis.png

That comic reminds me how far removed the interweb is from actual people, and that quote reminds me of why I find tumblr worthless. Not that I'd forgotten, but hey a refresher is nice from time to time.

Anyway, it occurs to me that all the amusement some people are getting from this game's art will vanish almost instantly if the females are dressed like the lead male. But you never know, maybe Mevius is trying to make a "statement" and they'll have realistic outfits?

Crema

It's pretty fascinating how making a FF exclusive for mobile has allowed the artists to go harder after the female market. This is the kind of diversity we don't get to see on consoles so long as they remain primarily male gaming devices.

I'd say I'm looking forward to giving it a go but I doubt it will make the trip over to the barren wasteland that is Windows Phone.

Zee-Row

Banned
The main character doesn't look like he is ready to fight. He looks like he is taking snap shots for playgirl.

If this game had a custom soundtrack I would have Shawn Michaels "Sexy Boy" song playing the entire time.

Skyzard

Banned
Woah I didn't think an outfit would put me off so much but with how things are going (combat mechanics, straight paths), I think that pretty much seals it as a no-buy.

All the protagonists had small things about them that I remember as kinda annoying. A tiny bit. Small things I've since forgotten. This is fucking huge.

So is that a leftover Lightning costume or what?

lol

Alchemy

Oh no, a character design that doesn't appeal to my male power fantasy! How will I ever enjoy this game :(

By not wearing pants when I play it.

Vagrant story clothing is cool.
Also is there like a video of these chaps in action instead of people peering over screenshots of an iphone game?

Shengar

They were pretty explicit about why it's for smartphones:

So, this is where Japan is going to on their gaming scene development.
At least, for the big mainstream publisher. I hope for smaller developer, they still cater to dedicated gaming platform such as Falcom or Compile Heart.I'm still skeptical because you know, the lack of proper control and all.

Weiss

Banned
I'm glad to see JRPG developers applying their ridiculously exploitative character designs to dudes now too.

Ashley Riot DLC costume with assless chaps would be the icing on the cake.

But, yeah, that tumblr post above is spot on. If we're going to keep dressing female characters as JPOP clowns thrown through a wood chipper, either same needs to be applied to men, or it needs to stop.

CheisGuy

Neo Member
Wait a second...sword wielding protagonist with short blonde hair wearing a skin tight outfit that emphasizes his rear? Sounds a little familiar...

raidenrear.jpg

DMiz

This character design is really off-putting, I must say...

Didn't even realize that Square had an iOS Final Fantasy in development, either.

Top Bottom