• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mevius: Final Fantasy screenshots [Up: more screens and art]

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Lol. The "It's fine for girls, but not fine for guys" crowd.

I imagine he meant absurdly sexualized, which Cindy absolutely is.

Thing is, there is a difference in design. This is just shit design period. As the whole outfit is shit.

While I think FF15 is shit looking due to the standard Nomura garbage character design (AKA males as usual looks like cheap Kabukicho Hosts, the clothing design would be what females find attractive. Basically they went and designed 1 each "attractive" male model type look. Something for everyone so to speak. Thats with the outfits worn.
final_fantasy_xv_by_ivances-d6e8fre.png

This on the other hand just looks plain outright stupid. There is literally nothing cool about that design and the whole body bib thing that hes wearing is just plain dumb. Over here I can imagine folks are going to associate it with Kintaro from Japanese folklore pretty quickly.

All thats missing from that design right there is the arm / leg armor pieces.

Cidney's clothes are nonsense. There's no reason to wear such a short jacket, then zip it only at the beginning and leave the cleavage, unless you want an extreme sexualized character; in particular, if you are a mechanic, and you are working under cars. I could have understood such a design if she was a stripper or a showgirl

I think you exaggerate the degree to which this character has been sexualized. Wow, cleavage. So extreme. That's something reserved for strippers, alright. lol

Shit's positively reigned in compared to, well compared to all sorts of shit

dan2026

I honestly think I could design better character outfits.

Jesus why are Square so bad at this?
It doesnt make any sense.

Zoe

Practically speaking, their goal with his outfit was probably so that you can add the pieces of armor individually.

Looks like shit though.

While I think FF15 is shit looking due to the standard Nomura garbage character design, the clothing design would be what females find attractive. Basically they went and designed 1 each "attractive" male model type look. Something for everyone so to speak.
Isn't that what Japan does with it's entertainment aimed at kids/teens? Every anime show with a bunch of girls has the tom boy-ish one, the bookish glasses one, the sexy one, the child-like one, the blonde/foreign one etc etc - this seems like the same thing to me.

I think you exaggerate the degree to which this character has been sexualized. Wow, cleavage. So extreme. That's something reserved for strippers, alright.

Shit's positively reigned in compared to other modern FFs

It's not really extreme in general (even though I've never seen girls dressed like these outside parties and / or seaside); it's extreme and out of place given the context.

Thing is, there is a difference in design. This is just shit design period. As the whole outfit is shit.

While I think FF15 is shit looking due to the standard Nomura garbage character design, the clothing design would be what females find attractive. Basically they went and designed 1 each "attractive" male model type look. Something for everyone so to speak.

The difference is, the attractive male model is just a plain guy with no shirts and a jacket on. Given the context we had, it is not out of place. Cidney is, in my opinion.

Is this girl a stripper to you?
or these?

Nope. They're not mechanics either ;) I'm pretty sure that if they would have been fixing cars all day, they had wearing properly given the situation, and not with every-day casual / party outfits. Also, their outfit is not as sexualized as Cidney's.

KoopaTheCasual

Cidney's clothes are nonsense. There's no reason to wear such a short jacket, then zip it only at the beginning and leave the cleavage, unless you want an extreme sexualized character; in particular, if you are a mechanic, and you are working under cars. I could have understood such a design if she was a stripper or a showgirl, or if she was in party. In such situation is completely nonsense and out of place.

It seems so.
See, I understand what you're getting at, but the difference is, when I see the Cid design I say, "why the fuck aren't you wearing clothes??" and when I see this character design, I think, "what the fuck are you even wearing?..." They're two different types/levels of ridiculousness.

In defense of Mevius tho, this could be remedied if the entire aesthetic of the game matches the main character's design. As long as it's consistent, it'll be fine.

Teknoman

The front of his armor looks fine, but the back looks strange.

Unless he gets armor model changes through the game or something? That being said...if this turns out good and releases in NA, I hope my Nexus 5 wont struggle.

Paracelsus

It's funny how the USA make Kratos, who walks around naked, and he doesn't give any vibe other than "he's mad", the time Japan does the same thing the first vibe it gives is fujoshi.

See, I understand what you're getting at, but the difference is, when I see the Cid design I say, "why the fuck aren't you wearing clothes??" and when I see this character design, I think, "what the fuck are you even wearing?..." They're two different types/levels of ridiculousness.

In defense of Mevius tho, this could be remedied if the entire aesthetic of the game matches the main character's design. As long as it's consistent, it'll be fine.

Yeah, in one case you have an extremely ridicolous outfit, which is though in a fantasy setting; on the other case, you have an extremely stupid and nonsensical outfit which can be easily criticized since the setting is a bit more realistic and modern.

Hastati

I think they should go even farther. They should hire Hirohiko Araki to do the character designs and use vogueing in combat.

Main character clothing is standard female videogame character clothing. Chill people.
That's not why it's bad.
It's funny how the USA make Kratos, who walks around naked, and he doesn't give any vibe other than "he's mad", the time Japan does the same thing the first vibe it gives is fujoshi.
Kratos's design is terrible. Lack of clothing isn't the problem.

The problem us how what he does have doesn't look good. It's not sexy in the slightest. It's not cool looking it the slightest. It's just a sloppily put together garb.

Lmao the amount of "what is he wearing?" "that's gross" "poor character design"

Try being a woman tbh.

The sexualization isn't why it's bad. Also, I want more sexualized male designs.

...I also want more sexualized female designs too. I just like sexy designs.

ZdkDzk

Vaan.PNG
Better? Worse?

I kind of like both Mevious and Vaans design. They're out there and missing huge chunks, but visually it works for me, and doesn't feel off putting.

Yeah, in one case you have an extremely ridicolous outfit, which is though in a fantasy setting; on the other case, you have an extremely stupid and nonsensical outfit which can be easily criticized since the setting is a bit more realistic and modern.

In a world where the royal family of a nation wear business suits and the prince and his royal gaurds/friends are essentially a J-Pop group, Cid's design doesn't feel all to out of place. At least her clothes resemble her role.

The sexualization isn't why it's bad. Also, I want more sexualized male designs.

...I also want more sexualized female designs too. I just like sexy designs.

I'm not against sexualized designs either. Just overall design, IMO, is bad. Where as one can argue Cidney's design is too revealing, I would agree. I would've preferred her to be wearing pants(baggy pants or coverall styled suit), but it feels somewhat believable, as I can see someone(a girl totally about flaunting herself) wearing that(more so with the Southern accent thing). Might not be practical for her job, but given she's most likely not a fighter(facing danger, head on), for casual wear, it's believable(which is more why I DO have a prob with Rikku's FFX-2 default outfit). Mevius hero, though, is a fighter. He's seemingly dressed as one(there's no other reason to wear armor unless you are going out to face danger). But, where he armors himself is the area where he should keep nimble(free of heavy weighing armor) and protection should be focused on the torso(this is the same for both male and female knights, which is why I'd raise a stink of a female knight was dressed similar). Dude's wearing a "cloth" over his chest, and his entire back is exposed. Sure, you could say this is Final FANTASY and there are some creative liberties to fantasy "style" but there's "imaginative style" and there's "Get the fuck OUT of here!!".

Lmao the amount of "what is he wearing?" "that's gross" "poor character design"

Try being a woman tbh.
I don't think any sane woman would be caught DEAD in wearing something like THAT.

As long as they don't look like these

Vaan.PNG

Final.Fantasy.XII.281559.jpg

BDFTS_Ringabel_Bonus_Costume_Artwork.png

See, I like Yoshida, but there are just some designs of his that I find horrible. And this is going in the opposite direction of the "skimpy/sexualized" talk, but I fuckin HATED his astronaut suits of armor in FFXII. And I mean this:

Put a massive bucket helmet or fishbowl on his head and he could either look like a medieval astronaut or medieval diver. And those fuckin boxer shorts. See, he's very well covered, but even that don't make it look good. Sometimes bad design is just bad design.

Nerokis

The fuck is he wearing?

Hahaha. Hilarious to see all this reaction to his design. I have little doubt it wouldn't have stood out so much had it been the female equivalent instead.

Now, his armor pieces look fairly dumb, but we knew that already. The reaction wasn't nearly as intense without the blatantly revealing pictures.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That is some pretty terrible character design. And not because it's sexualized, it's just a bad looking design, I mean very impractical armor on all of the legs and arms, it's not fun or interesting to look at.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I'm alright with everything except for the butt pants armor. It looks like that thing Miley Cyrus wore that was..... not so flattering.

dramatis

Yeah, the female armor trope. It's complete bullshit and gets torn apart on this forum all the time.
Tell that to all of the people who defended Cindy's look in the FF15 threads, and then I'll consider it bullshit. Until then, it's quite legitimately still a problem.

Women correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt females find this an attractive design, I'd say they would find noctis, cloud, or any other final fantasy male lead more visually attractive then this.

I think square probably are trying to tap into the female mobile gamer crowd as are they not the bigger audience on mobile? So it will be interesting to see the characters personality to see if it targeted to women.

But yea I will admit I don't like the skimpyness of the clothes and it has made me think how it must be for women gamers woth some games and marketing etc.

Ezalc

As long as they don't look like these

Vaan.PNG

Final.Fantasy.XII.281559.jpg

BDFTS_Ringabel_Bonus_Costume_Artwork.png

The last one you posted is just a bonus costume for that character and even then in the game since everything is chibi that barely looks like anything. Though it is sexualized as hell, I just find that costume hilarious. The one from Mevius is just ugly as sin.

Top Bottom