• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV is one of the best games ever made...

Certinty

Gameplay wise it's probably the best game I've ever played.

But everything else? Open world was bland, story was terrible, characters weren't interesting, most main missions felt like side missions and so on.

I mean I loved the game but there's just so much wrong with it. At the same time the gameplay alone does redeem it in many ways though, it's that good.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Uh no.

MGS4 was a lost opportunity, while the first two or three acts built upon Snake eater with a much refined control scheme, after that however the game is just a series of narrow tunnels or set pieces in between cut-scenes and boss battles.

MGS4 was fantastic, didn't it win GOTY twice on Neogaf? As in 2 separate years?

People like to call it garbage now to be edgy but it has lots of fans, a great story (for people who feel V is lacking) and a really high Metacritic score.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
This just made me want to get a gaming PC and play this game again. I already loved the gameplay on ps4, but these sound amazing.

Any chance there is a mod to fix the shit story?

cheez124

infinite heaven is great, i use it all the time. so nice not having to sit through those helicopter rides anymore. it also makes free roam a lot more lively, since you can add random patrols, random skull attacks, walker gears, tanks, heli patrols, and other stuff like that.

there's also a quiet mod that lets you play as her and use some of her MGO abilities in single player, which is also pretty fun

luka

Loves Robotech S1
a lot of the game's perceived issues can be avoided by just playing the game offline, without grinding or worrying about base management or resources and without the absurd benefits of FOBs, and just staying in the field going from mission to mission without extracting or returning to mother base unless the story demands it.

i played through the whole game, twice, like this and it was incredibly satisfying. none of that high level gear is necessary to complete any mission, and being limited to low level kit for the majority of the game forces you to get creative in ways that were otherwise totally unnecessary.

infinite heaven sounds neat though. i'd like to try it if i ever get around to trying the pc port.

How can it be even close to the best when it fails at its open world, its characters and their development, the lack of any real story, mother base, which serves little to no purpose, has micro-transactions, has cheaters in its multiplayer portions, and lastly is just plain incomplete?

Because it has the best gameplay of all time. I could spend a 100 hours just messing around it's so good.

Ratrat

I think I'll keep this thread in mind for when I replay this game, if I ever do. Honestly the worst part of the game for me (aside from the story and being an incomplete game) is how its structure and progression doesn't lend itself to replays at all, one of my favorite things to do in MGS games.
Not true at all. S-rank and mission tasks are where many realize how brilliant the game is.

Black_Wolf

Neo Member
I personally didn't enjoy the game at all, and this is coming from someone who enjoyed all the other entries in the series. In my opinion, the only thing the game did right was the gameplay - shooting, stealth and supplementary mechanics were all fun when you were actually in combat / combat range. Problem is, you're trudging through a lifeless desert from one base to the next for a large portion of the time, preventing you from actually applying said gameplay.

The game felt like it was open world just for the sake of being open world. There were no true points of interest between enemy bases, and even the wildlife was practically non-existent (it is a desert, afterall). Heck, at times it didn't feel like an open world game as a large portion of the time I felt myself forced through a corridor of mountain ranges that prevented me from traversing the landscape as flexibly as I wanted. The game would've benefited from just having hub locations like Ground Zeroes. That way, the player has the space to approach enemies creatively without compromising other aspects of the game (i.e. walking through miles of unpopulated space).

I find it really weird how little flak this game got for things other games would've been crucified for. Repetitive side missions, unengaging / lifeless open world, weak and unfinished story . . . no other game could've gotten away with all that and still walk off into the sunset with a 90+ on Metacritic.

This review did a pretty good job highlighting my issues without getting too "out there" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=houDtgBNPCA

Very exaggerated review, but one of the few that actually vocalized my thoughts on the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6cJSbYbQZE

Roni

Gold Member
I agree on both the game and mod fronts. But I prefer more subtle mods that fix simple things with the game, like dropping weapons on the field, deploying without hip and secondary weapons and some other things.

Manually made a compilation of the changes I wanted, game got a fresh coat of paint after nearly 400 hrs, a lot more immersive too.

Kazuhira

It's a extreme love/hate situation in my case,there's not middle ground.
I doubt i'll ever reach a conclusion about what i think of this game.

I personally didn't enjoy the game at all, and this is coming from someone who enjoyed all the other entries in the series. In my opinion, the only thing the game did right was the gameplay - shooting, stealth and supplementary mechanics were all fun when you were actually in combat / combat range. Problem is, you're trudging through a lifeless desert from one base to the next for a large portion of the time, preventing you from actually applying said gameplay.

The game felt like it was open world just for the sake of being open world. There were no true points of interest between enemy bases, and even the wildlife was practically non-existent (it is a desert, afterall). Heck, at times it didn't feel like an open world game as a large portion of the time I felt myself forced through a corridor of mountain ranges that prevented me from traversing the landscape as flexibly as I wanted. The game would've benefited from just having hub locations like Ground Zeroes. That way, the player has the space to approach enemies creatively without compromising other aspects of the game (i.e. walking through miles of unpopulated space).

I find it really weird how little flak this game got for things other games would've been crucified for. Repetitive side missions, unengaging / lifeless open world, weak and unfinished story . . . no other game could've gotten away with all that and still walk off into the sunset with a 90+ on Metacritic.

See, I never understood the complaints about the open world being lifeless or annoying to get around. All the main missions in the game drop you into a small lively hub very close to the objective.

Yeah, running around the world doing side ops can make the world feel a bit barren and annoying. However, the core missions in the game do not have that problem.

cackhyena

Welp, I get the urge to replay this often. Guess I'll be picking up the steam version eventually to factor out the reasons I haven't returned. Game play is so good.

Black_Wolf

Neo Member
See, I never understood the complaints about the open world being lifeless or annoying to get around. All the main missions in the game drop you into a small lively hub very close to the objective.

Yeah, running around the world doing side ops can make the world feel a bit barren and annoying. However, the core missions in the game do not have that problem.

I don't really see how ignoring a large portion of the game (which is essentially what you seem to be telling me) is seen as a mitigant to sub-par game design, though. Yeah, I can avoid it, but . . . it should have been better to begin with. Simply ignoring large portions of the game isn't really an answer. The core missions in the game are very cut-and-paste. Yes, a few have unique sequences but it almost always boils down to infiltrating a base (which has possibly already been infiltrated) and then kidnapping a translator or something.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
JtGbEdg.png

thye really should have gone this route with the model of big boss, I wanted to see an ageing big boss sooooo bad

Even without mods :)

That said, quite a few of those mods should have really been in the base game to begin with. Not necessarily all the Infinite Heaven content, but random events based on SIDE OPs? Definitely... SIDE OPS basically are nothing but random event spawns that happen to be listed on the Minimap; take that away and make their spawning random, and that's all they are. New Game Plus? More options for Subsistence, Extreme, Total Stealth playthroughs? How are those not in a MGS game. Thankfully they're easily corrected with mods.

Memento

By far the worst Metal Gear Solid in the series. It was so forgettable I have actually forgot about making the LTTP of it to discuss all the problems I have with the game. Will find some time next week.

I don't really see how ignoring a large portion of the game (which is essentially what you seem to be telling me) is seen as a mitigant to sub-par game design, though. Yeah, I can avoid it, but . . . it should have been better to begin with. Simply ignoring large portions of the game isn't really an answer. The core missions in the game are very cut-and-paste. Yes, a few have unique sequences but it almost always boils down to infiltrating a base (which has possibly already been infiltrated) and then kidnapping a translator or something.

I'm not saying that it should be ignored, it's just not the main focus of the game. I liked to run around the open world and do side ops while I listened to tapes. If someone doesn't like running around that world, then they aren't forced to. That's why most of decision making and travel is done through the ACC and not the actual landscapes.

Most missions in TPP end with you killing, extracting, or blowing something up. However, the journey to the end of mission is very different. I never got the idea that the missions were samey, they all felt very different to me. The multiple ways that you can tackle them as a player and not be punished for your different tactics was really amazing.

yup, you can find it here.

Thanks! Definitely going to check that out!

By far the worst Metal Gear Solid in the series. It was so forgettable I have actually forgot about making the LTTP of it to discuss all the problems I have with the game. Will find some time next week.

Can't agree with that, it felt like the pinnacle of metal gear games, if anything. The spionage game I've been wanting to play since I was a kid.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
SIDE OPS basically are nothing but random event spawns that happen to be listed on the Minimap; take that away and make their spawning random, and that's all they are.

pretty much. i think the game would have been much better received if this were the case, too. instead of doing sideops like a checklist, remove that whole tab and have their appearance frequency and radius determined by the level of your intelligence team or something. it would simultaneously make the world feel less static, reduce the tedium for completionists, and give people more incentive to stay in the world and explore it.

cordy

Banned
It's one of the best "podcast games" this generation IMO. Man, I can load up that game, turn on a podcast and just go in.

pretty much. i think the game would have been much better received if this were the case, too. instead of doing sideops like a checklist, remove that whole tab and have their appearance frequency and radius determined by the level of your intelligence team or something. it would simultaneously make the world feel less static, reduce the tedium for completionists, and give people more incentive to stay in the world and explore it.

The important missions (Extract interpreter, legendary gunsmith, blueprints) should have been labeled side ops

Everything else (Destroy Armored Tanks 1-15, Prisoner Extraction 1-10, Take out Heavy Infantry 1-15,) should have been called mini ops

The latter stuff should not been required to 100% the game. Completing everything TPP is not exactly fun or worth the time investment.

MGS V is one of the best games I've ever played, unfinished or not.

The basic gameplay loop being so fantastic and the breadth of options make it so.

You know, I still have to playthrough MGSV. After paying every MGS game, but kinda felt like MGS4 dragged on a bit too long, and not liking what had become of Solid Snake, I really wasn't eager to go back to Daddy Snake again.

Pre-release, I had dreams of playing through the epic Snake versus Big Boss confrontation, and yeah, just let my imagination run wild. To find out the story is the weakest part of MGSV, it just never seemed like a must play after that.

Along with Witcher 3, I will try to get to both of them this year though. And it gives me hope that Death Stranding will be at the very least, another gameplay masterpiece, but likely the full package this time.

Daigoro

putting clothes on an under dressed in game model is pretty funny, since its usually the opposite. pretty cool though.

Memento

That wouldnt work out too, because MGS5's open world is one of the blandest, most uninsteresting open worlds ever.

I would much rather prefer if there was a menu where I can just press start and go directly to the mission area. Something like Peace Walker. MGS5 open world is one of the biggest cases of a game not respecting the player's time. It is insanely ridiculous.

Battlechili

Banned
I don't think any of these mods fix any of the core problems that MGSV had. Can they make the game less wide open spaces full of nothing in them and put more interesting stuff throughout the desert?

Servbot24

Banned
I don't think any of these mods fix any of the core problems that MGSV had. Can they make the game less wide open spaces full of nothing in them and put more interesting stuff throughout the desert?

That would ruin the game. You're not supposed to wander off. You're supposed to infiltrate bases. The "open world" is not an open world, it's an interactive backdrop. It's awesome.

Randomizer

Gameplay mechanics wise it is most certainly one of the best. Too bad the mission design doesn't do the gameplay any favours as it isn't particularly that great. The missions can be repetitive and are not varied enough. The story is interesting but is paced terribly. But the serious nature and tone is off putting as a long term fan of the series. The open world doesn't feel very organic or natural. It's basically just checkpoints and bases every couples of kilometres. All in all I'd say it is a fantastic but flawed game.

Top Bottom