• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV is one of the best games ever made...

Servbot24

Banned
I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around how you think MGSV is justified in wasting the players' time by having their effort to go somewhere wasted .

Open world gives players the choice to explore and subsequently develope their characters, mechanically speaking. Giving players a choice on how they want to arrive to the end game is not a detriment when you have just that...a choice. You can forfeit exploring a good open world at anytime and not be punished for it where those who opt to can find something of value that helps their burden against a challenge later on.

A good open world can and does provide depth when used effeciently to tell new tales to add to the worlds lore which is an added bonus for people who prioritize their experience over the quality of a games mechanics alone. It also helps shape a world that only this medium can tell.

That's just a few. There are plenty examples of masterful open worlds and we do not need to debate what those games are and their quality.

I do think there are plenty of 'me too's that saturate the market and are void of any substance but that doesn't take away from the inherit benefit of such a design. Like anything, it is execution.

Those points are valid if they stand on their own, but how many open world games have actually held a pure focus on a singular one of those elements? Time after time they stretch themselves too thin, discarding gameplay, story depth or environment progression in an attempt to be everything at once.

MGSV succeeds because it has focus. The open world is just a backdrop. You're not actually meant to go into it, even though you have the choice to (if you wandered into the jungle of MGS3 you would just find more jungle and it would be a pointless venture). It's definitely not implemented perfectly - having to walk a long way from helicopter drop points is not ideal. I'd be curious to hear the thought process behind that decision, or if it was simply a concession to the realism of having to do that in actual field missions.

I'm fairly early in Breath of the Wild, but it seems to be succeeding for the same reason. It has relative focus (although the opposite of MGSV's chosen focus), embracing scarcity and making that the theme - based on my brief experiences so far, it's at it weakest when it loses that focus.

Staf

The gameplay is great. The story is meh. I come to most games, and especially MG series, for the story so...

Kiter

Neo Member
MGSV acknowledges the many human costs of war, not just of life, but of culture, of language. the destruction of cultural imperialism. this is deep shit. too deep for most people. MGSV is way ahead of its time.

I think the language theme of the game is especially interesting and gets overlooked by so many. Maybe you only realise what power a language inherits if you are not a native english speaker. I mean similar to Kojima, english is not my native tongue though I consume/spend more/equal hours reading/hearing stuff in english as in german.
The US/UK are conquering the world with their language alone and thats something incredibly powerful. There is a reason why europeans forced their culture/language on to colonies back in the day.

Other than that I really enjoyed the gameplay especially, and how it really does establish "Big Boss" as that legendary warrior through the gameplay.

eso76

The story is weirdly paced but not bad at all.
The symbols and references are absolutely remarkable and elevate the game to a whole different level compared to most.
The central message is original, powerful and clever and the single episodes are also generally well written.
It's just a shame that a huge part of it is told through ineffective devices (tapes) that don't really do a great job getting the player involved.
That and the missing final mission/s.

Its not the story itself, it's the pacing and devices used doing a poor job engaging the player.

Those points are valid if they stand on their own, but how many open world games have actually held a pure focus on a singular one of those elements? Time after time they stretch themselves too thin, discarding gameplay, story depth or environment progression in an attempt to be everything at once.

MGSV succeeds because it has focus. The open world is just a backdrop. You're not actually meant to go into it, even though you have the choice to (if you wandered into the jungle of MGS3 you would just find more jungle and it would be a pointless venture). It's definitely not implemented perfectly - having to walk a long way from helicopter drop points is not ideal. I'd be curious to hear the thought process behind that decision, or if it was simply a concession to the realism of having to do that in actual field missions.

I'm fairly early in Breath of the Wild, but it seems to be succeeding for the same reason. It has relative focus (although the opposite of MGSV's chosen focus), embracing scarcity and making that the theme - based on my brief experiences so far, it's at it weakest when it loses that focus.

Gotcha. I think we agree more than not. I took your meaning in the last post to say that the design has no intrinsic value to offer even when in capable hands. I agree entirely with your point around focus.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Like what?
Like better weapons, quests, eeing the life of npcs, finding lore entries, etc. the open world of MGSV feels positively unfinished by comparison. Probably because it IS actually unfinished.The biggest red flag should've been the way they artificially sped up the e3 2013 trailer that showcased exploration. Unfortunately no such feature exists in the actual game. And you won't encounter anything interesting, like maybe a glimpse of the rebels who need your help. Or how it's affecting the civilians. It's very very artificial and behind the times.

How hard is this game to mod?
Does it require outside tools?
Or are popular managers supported?

Edit-old thread. Read OP.

But my question still stands.
Are these tools confusing to use?
Or dummy proof like say nexus manager
It's very easy to install most major mods.

However, some mods are a bit more complex. Like the Give Quiet Clothes mod requires you to fiddle with the game directory itself.

Like better weapons, quests, eeing the life of npcs, finding lore entries, etc. the open world of MGSV feels positively unfinished by comparison. Probably because it IS actually unfinished.The biggest red flag should've been the way they artificially sped up the e3 2013 trailer that showcased exploration. Unfortunately no such feature exists in the actual game. And you won't encounter anything interesting, like maybe a glimpse of the rebels who need your help. Or how it's affecting the civilians. It's very very artificial and behind the times.

I don't see why MGSV needs any of that stuff. Yes, the game has an open world, but that doesn't mean it needs tons of exploration and various time wasting side activities.

The game is built mainly for mission infiltration. That's why the game pulls you out of the open world often to go back to the ACC. The game is focused on getting you directly back into the action as fast as possible.

I would go that far but I think it's great.

I really think the game would be better regarded if it ended at act 1. When Kojima knew konami wasn't going to let him finish what he originally planned they should have pulled back to the end of act 1. It still had a ton of meaty content up to that point and had a more satisfactory ending

There was something so addictive about the gameplay scenarios, even though they were highly repetitive. Unlike games like Far Cry 3& 4 I never got bored of taking over the same outposts I'd already taken over previously just because it always felt so intuitive which egged me on to try different ways of play.

SomTervo

So... This mod. Any good?

The story is weirdly paced but not bad at all.
The symbols and references are absolutely remarkable and elevate the game to a whole different level compared to most.
The central message is original, powerful and clever and the single episodes are also generally well written.
It's just a shame that a huge part of it is told through ineffective devices (tapes) that don't really do a great job getting the player involved.
That and the missing final mission/s.

Its not the story itself, it's the pacing and devices used doing a poor job engaging the player.

I think the language theme of the game is especially interesting and gets overlooked by so many. Maybe you only realise what power a language inherits if you are not a native english speaker. I mean similar to Kojima, english is not my native tongue though I consume/spend more/equal hours reading/hearing stuff in english as in german.
The US/UK are conquering the world with their language alone and thats something incredibly powerful. There is a reason why europeans forced their culture/language on to colonies back in the day.

Other than that I really enjoyed the gameplay especially, and how it really does establish "Big Boss" as that legendary warrior through the gameplay.

Agree with these posts. The telling isn't great and it's missing parts, but i think what's there is great.

horkrux

I don't see why MGSV needs any of that stuff. Yes, the game has an open world, but that doesn't mean it needs tons of exploration and various time wasting side activities.

The game is built mainly for mission infiltration. That's why the game pulls you out of the open world often to go back to the ACC. The game is focused on getting you directly back into the action as fast as possible.

The way it is now, the open world is simply not justified. These features would have helped to make it more lively/believable. The game is BEGGING for conflicts between factions, for reinforcements from other bases that don't just run for miles on foot but take trucks f.e., stuff like that. Games like Operation Flashpoint had this years ago, and I think that series is actually a prime example of how to make good use of your open world. Could have been the blue print for MGSV. And who knows, maybe they just had to scrap too much stuff to ship the game on time, and that's why it feels so static.

Top Bottom