• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV is one of the best games ever made...

RedSwirl

I do believe MGSV is one of the best executions of today's AAA Ubisoft/EA-style open-world game structure, if not the best.

The contents of the OP was surprisingly different from what I expected lol. It seems that you are implying that mods saved the game on PC. But the game remains to be a very flawed game, and dare I say a clone of what is considered to be a good open world game without all the things that made the original games so great. Kojima abandoned his legacy to chase after what other big game developers did He didn't focus on what he really wanted to do. I really hope his next project take a different approach and it seems that he learned from his experience with this game.

Memento

Is there a mod that can fix the incredibly repetitive level design? Because good mechanics can do so much with the same fucking base/village variant for 50+ hours.

The game has such an incredible variety and tighness to its core gameplay, but everything around it is so bad.

You know, if I ignored the awful story (which I cant because the series for me is all about a memorable narrative, but whatever), the first 10 hours of MGS5 would be some of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. But then you realize you are doing the same thing over and over again and there is zero incentive for you to keep going, because well... the world is boring as fuck and the story is shit, so? There was this moment when I was playing it, grinding side ops to fucking open a new story mission, that something hit me: "Why the hell am I still playing this game?"

This game could've benefited from story patches like FFXV is supposedly getting. Still had a great experience with the game but the story alone puts it at the bottom of the MGS cannon for me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
That wouldnt work out too, because MGS5's open world is one of the blandest, most uninsteresting open worlds ever.

i won't argue that it's bland, but considering they're mostly drawing from actual locations in actual conflict zones, i don't know how much more visually interesting they could have made it on a surface level. the game's focus is purely on infiltration, and the world is built to facilitate that by giving you different approach options and allowing for a more large-scale outpost alert/reinforcement system.

exploration is meant to be done during missions where there are actually plenty of things to find and do, but its definitely something the game struggles to communicate.

Servbot24

Banned
exploration is meant to be done during missions where there are actually plenty of things to find and do, but its definitely something the game struggles to communicate.

this game assumes a certain degree of intuition in the player, which is always a bit risky.

The contents of the OP was surprisingly different from what I expected lol. It seems that you are implying that mods saved the game on PC.

Not at all, I'm saying the mods turn a superb game and make it masterful. I think the vanilla experience of MGSV is amazing and one of the best games this generation. The tweaks and changes by mods only make the experience better and far easier to get into.

calder

Are there any mods that improve/build on the Mother Base defense for single player? I LOVED making my base and getting the security up but I never attacked bases so I have no idea how well my base would hold up.

Just an AI force attacking while I watched in real time would be awesome.

pretty much. i think the game would have been much better received if this were the case, too. instead of doing sideops like a checklist, remove that whole tab and have their appearance frequency and radius determined by the level of your intelligence team or something. it would simultaneously make the world feel less static, reduce the tedium for completionists, and give people more incentive to stay in the world and explore it.
yeah exactly.... exactly what I mean. I disliked how with SIDE OPS, their appearance on the minimap basically turned what are just world-flavouring random spawns.

and turned them into 'dings' -- checkmark boxes to check off (combined with timers AKA Dragon Age Inquisition-itis)

maybe some of them could have remained on the Minimap (e.g. they appear after 2-3 days based on your Intel Unit) just so people do have a few optional goals

but in general I wish they were not listed on the minimap, and otherwise were just 'random event spawns' that you randomly come across.

it's a problem of the broad design of the game IMO. SIDE OPs. Mother Base. Upgrade timers.

All of these things in CONCEPT could be amazing for adding flavour to the world... cool little things that happen 'in the background' to make the world appear more alive.

but because of presentation and balance (not fundamental design), they're emphasized so much that they're made 'core' goals

all of those things would have better suited world design IMO by being deemphasized as just world/theme building flavour, not core content progression.

i really loved this game. it was so fucking fun and i enjoyed all the little details. i need to play through it again, with these mods. i wish the story was a bit better but damn did i enjoy it anyway.

I do believe MGSV is one of the best executions of today's AAA Ubisoft/EA-style open-world game structure, if not the best.

I think the mechanics are better but there's a lot the FC games do that mgsv should, like actual opposing factions, and roads feeling dangerous with armed patrols not just two guys running a supply truck.

Is there a video showing great gameplay going on?

Everytime I play MGSV it's just me doing the cheesiest shit ever. Not because I actively looked to "break" the game but just because it was always the most obvious and easiest route to take.

I didn't go through the game playing it like a shooter, but most missions were basically me going prone through the grass, killing people with a silenced weapon if they were in the path I needed to be, and that's about it.

Example of a mission I did last night:

Child soldier commander needs to be captured along with some dude. Can't hurt the child soldiers. K. Crawled through grass, got close to child commander, used my click hand to get his attention, shot him with silenced tranq gun, picked him up and ran away and evac. Basically rinse and repeat with minor change for the other guy. Entire game has been similar to this.

6745048-1486319484.jpg

Bionic arm reskin mod, in progress, looks really spot on. The focus of the concept art included in the image above never made its way into the final game.

ChouGoku

Without mods MGSV is my GOAT game. There is no game I've played which is as fun to play. I hace 320 hours and the fame still hasnt gotten stale.

Hell yes it is. I hate it because I keep wanting to return to it even after I've played it more than any other game ever... And I have a big ol backlog :(

D-walker is the most fun I've had this gen. Nothing compares to skating around Africa tazing fools in a mini mech.
And then jumping off it in the middle of a base with the AI attack head, and watching it go to town haha

IM UNDER ATTACK

I usually use it more than Quiet just because she's rather OP, whereas attack dwalker at least feels like it has some weaknesses. not just boom headshot boom headshot

Ame

4. New Game Plus Mod
Self explanatory, another feature that should have been in the main game. Sure, you can replay all the missions after you beat the game, but the actual feeling of progressing through a story is basically gone.

pBriazk.png

I really, really wanted new game plus to be in this game. With gameplay this good and so many toys to play with, it's a no-brainer.

One thing Kojima gets that none of his peers do is complete hollywood badassery. The scenes with choppers especially in MGSV. It was like Top Gun with Choppers.

I want to win the lottery and give all my money to Kojima so he can make a game like Metal Gear Solid again.

Everytime I play MGSV it's just me doing the cheesiest shit ever. Not because I actively looked to "break" the game but just because it was always the most obvious and easiest route to take.

I didn't go through the game playing it like a shooter, but most missions were basically me going prone through the grass, killing people with a silenced weapon if they were in the path I needed to be, and that's about it.

Child soldier commander needs to be captured along with some dude. Can't hurt the child soldiers. K. Crawled through grass, got close to child commander, used my click hand to get his attention, shot him with silenced tranq gun, picked him up and ran away and evac. Basically rinse and repeat with minor change for the other guy. Entire game has been similar to this.

Cheesy game breaking stuff can be fun but best to experiment instead of doing the same thing each time

https://youtu.be/XXBFSnbhVsE

ethomaz

Banned
Gameplay is top notch even without mods.

Sad the Konami / Kojima fight affected the development and the story got cut at the end... Kojima will never finish the story :(

GLAMr

TBH I think the first act really holds up as a nearly perfect game. You could quit there and the story is perfectly setup for the original Metal Gear (
while leaving the "Big Boss body double" "plot twist" from Metal Gear 2 intact, event though its kinda painfully obvious that Venom is a fake throughout MGSV
). However, IIRC this would leave some of the parasite stuff and a few other things unresolved.

I still love the shit out if this game, and the Midge Ure cover of 'The Man who Sold the World' is such a perfect fit for a theme song. Collecting the other 80s hits on cassette was also fun. Dammit I want to replay this game now... I'm sad that it won't see a sequel.

#FucKonami

Enzo88

Even without mods, gameplay wise, it`s easily one of the best 10 games i have ever played and best controlling game this gen so far.
I just wish the story and characters were better/complete. If they were, i could make a case for goat game.

For me it is easy the best gameplay of any open world ever made and is not even close,if not the best gameplay experience I ever have,was my 2015 GOTY and still my GOTY,but at same time it had so much more potential,could be my all time game.

justjim89

MGSV is a good set of controls ruined by a terrible barely-existent story, a boring open world, needless base management, an insulting ending, and the most vile example of Kojima's blatant misogyny and penchant for eye-candy yet. "Be ashamed of your words and deeds," come the fuck on. "She breathes through her tits" is not some huge dramatic reveal.

Fultons take all the tension out of the stealth, the few bits of story worth hearing are hidden away in tapes, and the final twist answers a question no one gives a shit about while actively ignoring the opportunity for what could have been cool, genuinely fan-service moments. How cool would it have been to see as young Solid Snake going through the end of Operation Intrude N313? What about seeing what became of Chico at the end of Ground Zeroes?

Not to mention all the bullshit lies in the trailers. Returning to Camp Omega? Nope. The African village destroyed? Nope. Snake, covered in blood, screaming to the heavens? Nope. The shot of two Eli's in the helicopter while mentioning "Les Enfants Terribles" in the VO? Misdirection and a red herring.

It's the most disappointed I've ever been in a video game. And I blame Kojima just as much as Konami.

Type40

If only there was a way to mod it so that you play as Solid Snake voiced by David Hayter. That would get me to play this train wreck of a game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
it's a problem of the broad design of the game IMO. SIDE OPs. Mother Base. Upgrade timers.

All of these things in CONCEPT could be amazing for adding flavour to the world... cool little things that happen 'in the background' to make the world appear more alive.

but because of presentation and balance (not fundamental design), they're emphasized so much that they're made 'core' goals

all of those things would have better suited world design IMO by being deemphasized as just world/theme building flavour, not core content progression.

completely agree with this and like i said in my first post in the thread, playing through a fresh save and almost completely ignoring these 3 aspects of the game made it vastly more enjoyable for me.

i strongly feel like the game's mission design and overal balancing was done without taking these elements into account and that they were mostly added due to corporate meddling and encourage a style of play that is entirely detrimental to the experience.

Without mods MGSV is my GOAT game. There is no game I've played which is as fun to play. I hace 320 hours and the fame still hasnt gotten stale.

Man,I can't wait to see Death Stranding,I hope it has a stellar gameplay and a great history,could be a GOAT material.

Afrodium

Banned
Holy shit, a MGSV thread where most people are positive about it. The game is incredible and the hyperbole surrounding it at launch was ridiculous. It's just so goddamn fun to play.

Banned
But not the best game ever finished.

The gameplay loop was very rewarding. I put 72 hours into it only to get that unfinished ending. Sigh what could have been.

Holy shit, a MGSV thread where most people are positive about it. The game is incredible and the hyperbole surrounding it at launch was ridiculous. It's just so goddamn fun to play.

It seems like it's a line in the sand game. People either spitting venom at it or banging on about it being the best ever blah blah.

Personally, I thought it was pretty good with some big flaws that drag it down. You have your Mother Base quirks etc which grate after a while, but the more serious (and harder to fix) issue is with the level design. The maps are a bit boring, and there really should have been more well developed bases etc to infiltrate. Considering that, I think the high metacritic score and staunch defense that some show is a bit over board (and would likely be more moderate if it wasn't an MGS game). On the other hand, the level of vitriol some show wouldn't be as high if it wasn't an MGS game as well...

ChouGoku

It really is in the conversation for the best gameplay ever in a video game.

Yea idk what even comes close, every animation was top notch and they gave you so much control over snake. They had the perfect balance of amazing animations without feeling janky or that control of your character or camera is taken away for the sake of flashiness. During my first play through I loved just running to my next mission while slightly spinning my camera around Snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emyh94Zw5Z8
This is obviously planned gameplay but it did make me think of a new way to use boxes and bombs.

Yep. I actually wasn't active on Gaf during my playthrough. Came back, with a really positive reaction on the game, and found a wave of venom pouring on it. It's not perfect, but it's still top 3 in 2015, personally. So many fantastic moments, and ideas, with the best overall gameplay of the generation. It's just sad that the game wasn't fully realized.

Want to skip those long helicopter intros every time you deploy?
Want to make every mission have the SUBSISTENCE or TOTAL STEALTH modifers?
Ooo, yes please! Unlike the bulk of complaints towards the game, I actually loved replaying missions with those modifiers and was bummed that it wasn't a universal option. This is awesome. Time to reinstall some MGSV.

Top Bottom