• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV is one of the best games ever made...

Angel_DvA

For those who hated the game when it came out and thought it was kinda boring or something, I urge you to try it again now, you might actually love it for some reason. I don't know why but I've seen it happen a lot with this game.

Because people don't take time to digest and analyze games/movies/musics anymore, we're living in era of hyperconsumtion, everything goes too fast, people are dreaming/waiting for something incredible every two weeks, the game/movie released, critics are trying to releases reviews as fast and as positive as possible in fear of fanboy outcry or deceiving editior/constructor, general public arrive at a consensus and people are moving on after two weeks to something else.

Then sometimes, you realize you were wrong and make a LTTP or a new thread saying: Hey guys, the game is actually pretty good...

Wink

...and without. If I ever get a PC that can run it well I might spend another 150 hours with mods. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Because people don't take time to digest and analyze games/movies/musics anymore

Pretty much, though I don't know if people (meaning most people) ever did. Especially with MGSV it's a shame though. Despite the stuff that's missing there is so much in there to ponder.

this truly is a masterpiece. i find myself unable to play any of the older games bc this controls so well and looks so good all while running at a buttery smooth 60fps.

level design wise this is a Metal Gear Anthology worth of areas to sneak through and/or otherwise GTA it up. people want a MGS3 remake and they have it right in front of their face.* the bosses, enemies, and some level design are directly from that game. MGSV is also a MGS2 remake. FOBs are extensive, skill-customizable, 7x4 ocean platforms, about the size of a full remake of MGS2 but without the backtracking. MGSV is also a remake of MGS4, with the bombed out middle east palaces. except now you aren't blocked by a 2-foot tall wooden crate. MGSV is a remake of every other MGS game and the story ties them all together. that this game is considered "unfinished" and they still managed to pull all this off is incredible.

*jungle/grassland/3rd world camp level design a la MGS3. the Boss is Quiet. Venom's journey is an inversion of Snake's in MGS3. in each game the real villain gives them the title Big Boss.

MGSV is also a meta reflection on the series as a whole, Kojima looking back on it all, and ofc the Konami drama and resulting final for real end of the series. like MGS2 reflecting on MGS, MGSV reflects on the entire Metal Gear operation. this is Venom's Mona Lisa moment, what is he thinking here? portraying the ambiguous. literal smoke and mirrors! the Truth ending literalizes all of the symbology. the series restarts itself.

i'll replay this again someday, cos the journey is really a grand one, and one that can only be told through video games. Big Boss wasn't just a name that got the credit for having this huge merc operation, he was this super soldier who built his army literally one man/woman at a time. it doesnt hurt MGSV that the main thing you do in it -- rescue people via Fulton -- is one button away and continues to get more and more fun as the game goes on.

im still playing FOB. like i

MGSV is also a MGS2 remake. FOBs are extensive, skill-customizable, 7x4 ocean platforms, about the size of a full remake of MGS2 but without the backtracking.
you know, I always found that for all its complaints about being too open, wilderness, etc in its level design, its Mother Base/FOB level design address a large part of those concerns, superbly, and yet rarely gets mentioned because typically most of the people who dislike MGS V would never play it long enough to infiltrate FOBs.

that, and they never got a fair shake because of how Konami handled PvP/Online at release. there's a stigma associated with that by just being the core component of that.

but the single-player FOBs with their high degree of verticalness are some of the best 'industrial' infiltration levels in the series.

that, and they never got a fair shake because of how Konami handled PvP/Online at release. there's a stigma associated with that by just being the core component of that.

i saw no problems. if they want offer insurance that is fine w me. im not going to scream about MTs. in MGSV they were completely optional. they were buried within menus, with the same color text as everything else.

everyone who freaked out about that is being entirely silly, afraid at losing imaginary things. you get soldiers/resources via combat missions that run when you aren't even playing, so you get all this stuff for free anyways, in addition to it being the objective of most of the missions. the game is throwing soldiers at you, so long as you continue playing. i love the setting, being out in international waters, in the middle of the lawless ocean, robbing and plundering each other like ninja pirates.

the single-player FOBs with their high degree of verticalness are some of the best 'industrial' infiltration levels in the series.

yes i really like them. they are compact, and can be set to be full of high level soldiers for maximum challenge. FOB levels are really nice. if you couldn't fall off the sides, if there were walls up instead, and the whole thing was an interior level, i wonder what people would say.

I found the moment to moment gameplay to be excellent but everything surrounding it was pretty horrible.

The constant resource grinding and the painfully off-the-wall story just sucked out any desire I had to continue.

The first time you meet the skull unit (I think thats what they're called) where you are just getting pot shot from every corner of the map in the heavy fog is where it started losing me. Once i heard about
Some virus that kills half of your base personnel that you had spent hours and hours gathering
I totally checked out.

I would love to see somebody take the base level gameplay from MGS5 and give us a more interesting open world with more to do in it and shit-can all the shitty resource management and bizarre story.

Marker007

Gameplay and graphics wise it is a fine tuned technical beast when it comes to third person shooters/action games. I just wish we had this kind of game play with a story as good as Metal Gear Solid 3.

Undubbed

For some odd reason I have little to no interest in playing this game even though I played and loved every Metal Gear Solid game including 4.

I found the moment to moment gameplay to be excellent but everything surrounding it was pretty horrible.

The constant resource grinding and the painfully off-the-wall story just sucked out any desire I had to continue.

The first time you meet the skull unit (I think thats what they're called) where you are just getting pot shot from every corner of the map in the heavy fog is where it started losing me. Once i heard about
Some virus that kills half of your base personnel that you had spent hours and hours gathering
I totally checked out.

I would love to see somebody take the base level gameplay from MGS5 and give us a more interesting open world with more to do in it and shit-can all the shitty resource management and bizarre story.

I don't really get the complaint about the resource gathering. It's not like you have to go out if your way to collect stuff. All the soldiers and materials you gather are right in the objective area. It's hardly a grind, and you barely need any of it to actually progress the game.

It's not like the modern Tomb Raider games where the resource collection and core gameplay feel very disconnected. The action and meta game overlay in MGSV gel very well together.

Honestly, never been a big MGS fan but I love this game. I put it up there with Ocarina of time. Not in terms of story but the gameplay was perfect.

Lanrutcon

Can't fault the gameplay. You can say what you want about cut content, the story, Quiet, etc...but the gameplay is absolutely top tier.

spekkeh

Banned
Is there a mod that removes the Skulls and all the filler missions? Then it could be one of the best games for sure.

Wtb a mod that makes the story about BB becoming a demon.

Best 3rd person gameplay and mechanics ever, stuck in a shit tier story that actually makes the overall story worse. A shit can throw away villain, and almost zero memorable characters or cutscenes. Aka everything good about MGS.

Ocelot isn't even Ocelot, I donno who the fuck that was.

Game was legit the biggest let down for me all time. And Konami isn't solely to.blame. Fuck the meta narrative. OH I HAVE BEEN BIG BOSS THE WHOLE TIME! ITS MY STORY!

Rant off.

Sure hope to see Fox engine and those mechanics in new games though. Glorious.

Lanrutcon

Is there a mod that removes the Skulls and all the filler missions? Then it could be one of the best games for sure.

What's wrong with the Skulls? Every time you face em you can either a) run right passed em or b) annihilate them with a specific piece of tech.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Sure hope to see Fox engine and those mechanics in new games though. Glorious.
I love the gameplay mechanics of MGS5 - I think it's the most fun I've had in-game for a long time.

I am, dare I say, looking forward to trying out Metal Gear Survive (disclaimer: still F*cKonami tho)

RAIDEN1

My copy of this game is ready for exchange with Mass Effect Andromeda as I feel that game, even though it may not have the same level of "freedom" may end up being the better game from a immersion perspective..

As I mentioned in the past it is all well and good having the freedom to choose how you want to approach a mission etc...but ploughing through a game in a vast redundant landscape, with next to no atmosphere...isn't something that draws me in hence why I haven't touched the game since some-point last-year....

Man seeing people still defend the fact that this game was totally unfinished is crazy. I wish I could have felt satisfied by the time the credits rolled like they did instead of being stuck in disbelief that we just got half a story after repeating the entire first part of the game with no actual resolution.

However the mods the sound awesome though and I may give the game another go just to test them all out, had no idea that the mods went this deep.

massucci

Banned
It shows a lot of potential but it has many problems too. Campaign it's definitely rushed and incomplete and some missions are too much repetitive. A more variety in the missions design would been a benediction.

Coreda

What's wrong with the Skulls? Every time you face em you can annihilate them with a specific piece of tech.

Which is this?

I loathed the armored Skulls. Pure bullet sponges and generally annoying. The sniper Skulls are more interesting as it presents mainly a stealth challenge.

Bold One

Man seeing people still defend the fact that this game was totally unfinished is crazy. I wish I could have felt satisfied by the time the credits rolled like they did instead of being stuck in disbelief that we just got half a story after repeating the entire first part of the game with no actual resolution.

Good stealth game, but the worst MGS game ever made

Ratrat

It would've been the best game ever if Konami actually let Kojima finish it.
fixed.
The story and twist are still bad, but I think the game would have been a lot tighter and varied had it shipped with Ground Zeroes and Chapter 3 intact.

mike6467

I skimmed the thread, so apologies if I missed the answer.

Do the mods allow you to unlock everything without the absurd levels of grinding? I beat the game like two months after release, and they were putting in some cool stuff at that time. I just remember looking at the resource requirements, and had recently had some issues with my stuff being locked in the online side.

I dropped the game at that point but I would love to mess around with some of the more ridiculous tech they put in.

massucci

Banned
Exactly. After the "more movie than game" of mgs4 I was glad for a game that went into the other direction, even if it's unfinished.
I mean, most of the side missions are just the same; what about the variety? People blame Ubisoft for years but MGS V has this problem too. And the bosses battles are just... terrible designed and unfunny. This game it's full of compromise though we know what has been the reason.

Man seeing people still defend the fact that this game was totally unfinished is crazy.

what did you want them to do, just not make the game at all? it was clear with Ground Zeroes that it would be chopped up and eff'd with, i guess they should have just stopped there rather than have an "unfinished" game.

it's a dumb argument besides: the unfinished-ness is written into the story. it is a vital part of the story itself. its about working hard to build something up and have it taken from you, then having to remake it from scratch, knowing the same thing is going to happen. the player is not only in Venom's shoes, he's in Kojima's here. it's brilliant.

The fact there barely is any

there is 5 1/2 hours of cutscenes, the same amount in MGS1,2, and 3. and that's just cutscenes, there are tons of tapes, tons of critical in-mission dialog, etc. the story is there, it if you have failed to engage it, that's on you.

LordKasual

Banned
My blood pressure spiked at that thread title

rofl

This game had some extremely satisfying gameplay. But the sum of its parts comes up short...very short.

MGSV remains the only Metal Gear game i've started and just completely dropped out of lost interest. The few boss fights that exist are horrendous, the missions get old fast, the story is lacking, ect.

Sahelanthropus was the last straw for me. Probably one of the most shitty bosses i've fought in a long, lonnnnng time. And this is from the same game that made me struggle with those fucking teleporting clairvoyant meatshield Skull assholes.

Javier23

Banned
there is 5 1/2 hours of cutscenes, the same amount in MGS1,2, and 3. and that's just cutscenes, there are tons of tapes, tons of critical in-mission dialog, etc. the story is there, it if you have failed to engage it, that's on you.
5 1/2 hours of cutscenes? Not really.

Zakalwe

Banned
It tied everything together extremely well, even surprisingly so.
No satisfyingly though.

The story is told poorly and is incomplete, there's no denying it. You may love the gameplay and presentation etc... but the story is awtul:

The backlash was very justified for this game.

One of the best games ever made and definitely the best MGS in terms of gameplay. Never has a stealth game allowed such creativity AND played beautifully at the same time.

fireflame

MG5 frustrated be because some story plots were left unanswered, and because you cannot control the mecha you get during a mission. I get it there were "game-balance" reasons to justify the absence of the mecha, but that feels irritating. The ending was a bit too bitter to me, i wanted a happier ending.

Oh god no.

The general gameplay was fantastically fun, but not fantastic, as you ended up doing the same thing over and over with very few missions that force you to be challenged beyond your go to strategy.

And yeah, everything around it was bad. The cinematic universe of MGS? Not here. Weird changes of characters.. Stupid plot, and not in the good way. Giant empty worlds that make GTA3 look dense with content.

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeh, the gameplay mechanics are golden but the gameplay arenas are very repetitive and shallow.

Game gets a pass for this too often, too.

I don't really get the complaint about the resource gathering. It's not like you have to go out if your way to collect stuff. All the soldiers and materials you gather are right in the objective area. It's hardly a grind, and you barely need any of it to actually progress the game.

It's not like the modern Tomb Raider games where the resource collection and core gameplay feel very disconnected. The action and meta game overlay in MGSV gel very well together.

You might not have to grind, but they dangle a big carrot at the end of the stick encouraging you to grind for them in the way of upgrades for your base and equipment.

I would sort of agree with you on Tomb Raider but it takes way less time to reach the carrot. The requirements are so low that its arguable that its grinding at all.

The only mgs game I have playing for 110 hours because of the gameplay and I fucking hate stealth. Also the story could have been tighter/complete but look what happened when we got a complete story in mgs4. So much cheese, you could bake pizzas for a month. Mgs 4 is easily my bottom game of the series.

Tarps

This is the only MGS game that I haven't played through yet, and I'd like to form my own opinion on it.

I can get it cheap for PS3, should I get GZ first or am I OK to just jump directly into TPP?

Top Bottom