• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

ironcreed

Banned
what is going on with this game? i've played it about 10-15 hours (slowly inching my way), and i still don't even understand what an FOB is or what MB coins are. seriously WTF is all this convoluted and confusing online/motherbase crap? i want to know if i even should keep going or not.. can i realistically beat this game without taking part in any of this nonsense? i just want to sneak from mission to mission to see how the story goes.. too much to ask?

should i give up and move on to Witcher 3 finally?

I felt it was a bloated clusterfuck of shit, with bad pacing and dull missions in a bland world before the nefarious patch and could not be bothered with it anymore. So, I feel where you are coming from. As for TW3, I cannot recommend it enough. One of the greatest gaming experiences I have ever had.

Setsuna

Yea, can't believe people are saying this is ok. Even if it doesn't affect you that much, it's still pretty shitty. Glad I finished up this game before a lot of this shit started although the FOB stuff has been bad since day one.

Everoyne that doesnt play it are always complaining about how they are afraid of the boogeyman taking their stuff

And everyone that does play it is always talking about how people failed to invade sucessfully

You can probably clear the game with your starting gun and pistol. I eventually unlocked and customized a tranq. sniper rifle and added it to my usual load-out. Other than that, I think you might only really need a rocket launcher for a couple missions, and that's just if you want to make it easy. As for fultoning, I fulton everything. So I don't know how difficult it is to proceed without doing it.
I bet you can totally complete this game without engaging with this stuff.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What good is stealing them if they don't do anything other than give you more for others to steal? I'm sure there's something you can do with online resources

Online (Global) resources are like reserves. You can use them -as in a tank held in Global will be deployed in a mission if you have none available locally (Offline)- but you just can't sell them for GMP.

Similarly, build resources like fuel etc. count combined for purposes of R+D and base expansion qualification, but only stuff stored locally (offline) can be converted into GMP.

People are really badly blowing this out of proportion.

Online (Global) resources are like reserves. You can use them -as in a tank held in Global will be deployed in a mission if you have none available locally (Offline)- but you just can't sell them for GMP.

Similarly, build resources like fuel etc. count combined for purposes of R+D and base expansion qualification, but only stuff stored locally (offline) can be converted into GMP.

You're missing the point.

You can't use any of it, if you're offline for any reason at all. For example maintenance.

That is the problem and it's unnecessary and dumb.

Sayad

This and Star Citizen threads shows that all it takes for some hardcore gamers to be okay with microtransaction is for them to like the game(or the concept of it in SC's case). Makes you wonder what bright future this industry hold for us...

Everoyne that doesnt play it are always complaining about how they are afraid of the boogeyman taking their stuff

And everyone that does play it is always talking about how people failed to invade sucessfully

You may say something as simple as a trophy is insignificant but I would have never got that trophy for getting all teams to level 50 with my security team constantly being murdered every invasion unless I kept doing even more boring ass fultoning and grinding for the poorly designed metagame. I was pretty tired of that stuff quickly. Maybe that wouldn't happen if I did something with the defense or something but killing off dudes is pretty easy while invading and the whole FOB thing is so terrible top to bottom, who wants to deal with it anymore than they have to?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
what is going on with this game? i've played it about 10-15 hours (slowly inching my way), and i still don't even understand what an FOB is or what MB coins are. seriously WTF is all this convoluted and confusing online/motherbase crap? i want to know if i even should keep going or not.. can i realistically beat this game without taking part in any of this nonsense? i just want to sneak from mission to mission to see how the story goes.. too much to ask?
This is what I'd also like to know.

This and Star Citizen threads shows that all it takes for some hardcore gamers to be okay with microtransaction is for them to like the game. Makes you wonder what bright future this industry hold for us...
Pretty bright if you ask me. Gaming has never be in a better place.

should i give up and move on to Witcher 3 finally?

No, just keep playing, I switch to offline after the mission where you create the FOB, didn't even notice this whole thing. Just play the story and do a few side ops now and then. I promise you, you won't be bothered by the whole FOB thing.

I mean, I still think Konami and the way they are acting sucks, I won't be buying another game for them, period. But I still think we should be honest and not alarm people who haven't play the game, you can play the single player and ignore this mode.

So I just skimmed through this whole thread and I'm a bit confused (I'm not the only one so I don't feel too bad). As a person who hasn't hit the FOB mission, who has no interest in building a FOB (I'm connected to PSN but I don't have a PSN+ account), what exactly is going on here? Is the game taking GMP and resources I earned in singleplayer? If that's true, can I prevent this by simply unplugging my ethernet cable? Even if this ends up being a non-issue to me, I'm still annoyed at how convoluted this whole FOB has been and that it looks like I have to put forth effort to avoid it.

Tigress

This and Star Citizen threads shows that all it takes for some hardcore gamers to be okay with microtransaction is for them to like the game(or the concept of it in SC's case). Makes you wonder what bright future this industry hold for us...

I already knew this from long ago. Try to argue against MTs in general you'll get an attitude that you are blowing everything way out of proportion and at least you don't have to pay for them so what's your problem? I really wish everyone would watch the South Park episode on F2P and realize the same problem will plague games with MTs even if you pay for the game. MTs will make them more money than the amount you paid initially so they are going to aim the game at getting them.

I think I act more proactive in my writing then just saying "whatever." Age does color our perspective on things but Im not your brother. I have my own mind and my opinions shouldn't really be discredited because of my age. It should instead be discredited if I don't know what Im talking about which is basically never.
Well you're not coming off as that, it looks more like apathy. Sure they should, people discredit old folks for being out of touch with reality when they say stupid shit all of the time, because hey they're old, that's their thing. Lacking context and understanding is an issue with plenty of people, but it's an especially common thing when the person is young. I mean, you didn't really understand why timers were an issue before in a past thread about the design decisions with this game, because hey, you grew up during the height of mobile game bullshit. This is normal stuff for you.

I already knew this from long ago. Try to argue against MTs in general you'll get an attitude that you are blowing everything way out of proportion and at least you don't have to pay for them so what's your problem? I really wish everyone would watch the South Park episode on F2P and realize the same problem will plague games with MTs even if you pay for the game. MTs will make them more money than the amount you paid initially so they are going to aim the game at getting them.
I don't mind Microtransactions if it is like Smash Bros/Street Fighter where you are only buying cosmetic stuff. If gameplay it built around having to buy coins or something, then it is an issue for retail games. Those games are F2P for a reason. When I put $60 of a game, I expect to not be hindered for not buying coins and such.
Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart had packs which weren't bad as well.

If you want non-Nintendo example, Disgaea 5 and Dragonball Xenoverse have Microtransactions, but it is for extra characters, stages, challenges, etc.
There is no reason why Konami couldn't just make Microtransactions be extra challenges and skins.

lawnchair

Banned
it's amazing how many people are suddenly like FUCK THIS GAME SUX!!! no it doesn't. they added some bullshit, but it didn't suddenly make the game play like shit or something. calm yourselves, people.

Well you're not coming off as that, it looks more like apathy. Sure they should, people discredit old folks for being out of touch with reality when they say stupid shit all of the time, because hey they're old, that's their thing. Lacking context and understanding is an issue with plenty of people, but it's an especially common thing when the person is young. I mean, you didn't really understand why timers were an issue before in a past thread about the design decisions with this game, because hey, you grew up during the height of mobile game bullshit. This is normal stuff for you.
Ok.
People discredit old people all the time because opinions are wrong not because they're old. That may factor to it though.
Me not understanding why the timers were a issue is because I disagree with that notation that it was a issue not because grew up with mobile games.
I didn't really grow up with mobile games unless knowing they exist in my last two years of high school counts. Also you should have seen me a year ago, I hated this stuff just like you guys and then I changed.

¿What if Hideo Kojima planed all this from the start? (The DLC, the micropayments, the insurance, the always online)

Will GAF still worship him?

You're forgetting the part where A) the latest patch cuts down the maximum amount of offline resources you can hold and B) you can't use the online resources if you're not online (self explanatory but shitty if there are server outages or whatever).

This kind of shit is indefensible and it makes me sad to see apologists here.

Kup

Yes.

This is incorrect. While online I spent most of my GMP on upgrades and then disconnected. The game then subtracted 1,300,000 which put me in the red by over a million and triggered a cutscene at mother base. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this might have even been just before the game forced me to create a FOB, which is equally bs. You can't even exit the menu until you select build. Shit is insane.

I think I encountered this. I play at home and at work uploading my save to Online Storage and using two different PS4s. When I played at home last I purchased 10 upgrades, spending a few million, leaving around 250,000 GMP remaining. The next day I played at work during the server maintenance so couldn't access the online content. I was immediately in the red by about -1,500,000 GMP and was being told people were disbanding because of our financial situation. Took me a moment to realise what was happening, so I immediately quit the game and reverted back to my stored save and didn't play until the maintenance was over.

When I connected the next time, it did indeed appear to be subtracting my FOB resources as I was offline. And I am only on Mission 16 and have not seen any FOB tutorial yet, if that matters.

You're forgetting the part where A) the latest patch cuts down the maximum amount of offline resources you can hold and B) you can't use the online resources if you're not online (self explanatory but shitty if there are server outages or whatever).

This kind of shit is indefensible and it makes me sad to see apologists here.
Its not surprising, I do make a lot of people sad.

So I just skimmed through this whole thread and I'm a bit confused (I'm not the only one so I don't feel too bad). As a person who hasn't hit the FOB mission, who has no interest in building a FOB (I'm connected to PSN but I don't have a PSN+ account), what exactly is going on here? Is the game taking GMP and resources I earned in singleplayer? If that's true, can I prevent this by simply unplugging my ethernet cable? Even if this ends up being a non-issue to me, I'm still annoyed at how convoluted this whole FOB has been and that it looks like I have to put forth effort to avoid it.

Building an FOB won't cause any issues, it's going offline that will. When you go offline your online resources get deducted so you loose GMP, which you may/may not have grinded for hours. The recent patch makes it so that your resources will get deducted even if you go unplug your connection.

To put things into perspective: At first FOB was just going to be PvP till we found out you could even steal resources, even when the one who gets invaded is offline. So technically you could just never go online and never worry about your resources.
And now after the 30 day patch your resources are split into online and offline so if you want all your resources, you can't go offline. Its a petty way of Konami forcing people to go online. On top of that now if you are online building a Near End Spoiler
Nuke
costs online resources only which I don't even know how many hours it will take for someone to grind. Luckily you can avoid that by disconnecting which makes it use offline resources, then initiating the development and going back online.

This mainly hurts people who want to 100% it, you can finish the main game without having to grind much or worry about resources.

You-Will-Eat-It-You-Will-Like-It-Knapkins.jpg

Better yet, they could have just designed the game to also accommodate those who don't want to mess with all of this stuff so that they can be left alone to enjoy the story and play their own way. You know, like games have been doing since forever?

It's part of the game, the only reason why it's optional is because they can't force people online. Dark souls is this way, many games have online compenents where they don't go full online but it is absolutely intended to be played that way.

ironcreed

Banned
It's part of the game, the only reason why it's optional is because they can't force people online. Dark souls is this way, many games have online compenents where they don't go full online but it is absolutely intended to be played that way.

But Dark Souls does not take stuff that I acquired in a system that is designed with microtransactions and even trying to sell insurance for real money in order to protect said virtual items. Not even comparable.

fallingdove

The offline tax is definitely annoying.

I have been trying to save for a nuke for a couple of days now. Last night, just as I met the requirements, there was a damn server update. My GMP, Fuel And Minor Metal disappeared and I was unable to commence the 30 hour development.

Konami - Thanks for reminder of how horrible always online can be, how disruptive F2P mechanics are, and how incredible MGSV could have been.

MGSV is one of the best games ever made as far as I'm concerned, definitely the best this year so far. That still doesn't excuse the shit they're doing with MTs.

I didn't say it did excuse them. But I also don't see it as some catastrophic sin to the world of gaming. I've not felt a single inkling to even consider buying one of their crummy MTs, so it's personally been irrelevant, and non-detrimental towards my enjoyment of the game.

K' Dash

I regret buying this game, it is not only infinitely inferior to the rest of the mainline games but there is Konami fucking us in the ass every chance they have.

I wish I could return it :(

I didn't say it did excuse them. But I also don't see it as some catastrophic sin to the world of gaming. I've not felt a single inkling to even consider buying one of their crummy MTs, so it's personally been irrelevant, and non-detrimental towards my enjoyment of the game.
Apparently if you say this stuff your "defending" the game.

I'm soooo ready to be done with Konami and I'm glad Kojima will be too. I just hope he can bring as much of his studio with him wherever he goes.

But Dark Souls does not take stuff that I acquired in a system that is designed with microtransactions and even trying to sell insurance for real money in order to protect said virtual items. Not even comparable.

Yes all that stuff is horrible business by Konami. But I put 150 hours into the game, never touched a Microtransactions and never had one issue. The FOB system works fine as a normal game mechanic that is mostly hands off and rewards you more than punishes you.

Apparently if you say this stuff your "defending" the game.

Well to be fair, I probably would defend the game. I think it's better than a lot of people seem to. I think a lot of those people also let hype get to them, or put too much stock into reviews. I expected a 7/10 game. I got probably what I'd place at an 8.5/10 or 9/10. So I'm happy with it. The online stuff hasn't really had any impact on my gameplay, but I'm willing to accept it may be my play style. I fulton everything, so 2/5 my resources are always capped. I'd also love to defend my FOB if someone would just invade the darn thing already. I've had no incentive to buy anything extra. I understand why people don't like it, but I just don't share it with them.

The most recent server maintenance (~30 mins ago) seems to have adjusted the offline resources cap. Now I only have 4 guns/5 mortars, and only 1 of each type of car/ truck. I still have 3 offline tanks though, which means I guess they lowered the offline cap for lower tier resources? Also just tested and GMP went from 3597460 to 1825080 when I disconnected. I think they adjusted the online GMP too.

WHAT ? they went from 6 to 4 ? What the hell are they doing ?

I guess i'm going to sell those ressources and spend that money ASAP on develloppement.

ironcreed

Banned
Glad I returned this before they had the chance to implement all of this. Kind of shady that they did it over a month after initial release, too.

This is looking like the new norm. Release a game to glowing praise and then drop a giant turd on everyone after the dust settles. "But the game is still so good! Just ignore it everyone!"

Pilgrimzero

I already maxed out my main base and GMP was rarely an issue by the time I got to the FOB. most of my game time was spent doing Side Ops so far and I'm about halfway through the main missions after having the game for 2 weeks.

And as for them stealing my tanks and jeeps and stuff, so what? Not like that stuff doesn't just sit there doing nothing anyways. Plus I can also go steal more. Same with my soldiers. There is an unlimited amount out there who cares if they capture 10 C rank nobodies. Hell, I've fired more guys from my base than they will ever steal.

Same here. I've been playing it for a few weeks and have not come across a single situation where I'd have to consider buying an MT. If not for seeing the "complaints" about them on here, I would have completely forgotten they existed.

The game has been thoroughly enjoyable. The faux-outrage about these optional things, that have very little effect on the actual game, is rather laughable.

Alebrije

When do you reach FOB? Which mission?

I barely go to MB , its only use is to develop weapons , tools ,etc. By this time my soldiers morale must be so low that a group of dolphins with BB guns can take my MB.

This game should have kept the MGS 4 style no the peace walker one , in the beginning I thought it was a good idea but it seems Konami abused the system

Sayad

Yea, can't really compare the two. DS doesn't force online on you the way MGSV does and its whole implementation of it is much better. Between the shitty servers and how just being connected to them could affect your experience with the game without even getting into the FOB stuff, I stopped connecting mainly because doing so slowed the menu navigation for me. That they're punishing players for opting out of their shitty netcode implementation is ridiculous.

Yes all that stuff is horrible business by Konami. But I put 150 hours into the game, never touched a Microtransactions and never had one issue. The FOB system works fine as a normal game mechanic that is mostly hands off and rewards you more than punishes you.

It was rewarding a lot before but they changed quite a bit after the 30 day patch. This 'tax' thing started after the MGO patch.

So they want to punish you for copping out by going offline so your shit won't get stolen.... so you will be more likely to buy in-game insurance with real money? Pretty scummy.

Top Bottom