• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Knowland (Lead Character Artist) leaves Naughty Dog

Ok, but i am sure that if Real Madrid loses Cristiano Ronaldo, even being 1 of 24 players in the team, the team results will be affected...

ND's Cristiano Ronaldo nowadays is Jason Gragory, so i hope not to see a thread saying he leaves...

What a piss poor analogy. ND has over 200 people and numerous developers that can lead.

Corto

Probably. It seems to be the case that 2014's penny-pinching Sony can't make its developers better offers than eager competitors can, as they may have been able to in the past. Which is much more plausible than any kind of suggested internal power struggles or disputes, at least.

Still, so many high-profile names exiting in such a short window is uncommon.

And to help that reasoning those high profile jobs are the best paying positions too. Though that means that ND won't replace them, meaning they are downsizing, promoting internally, or they'll hire external talent to replace those leaving but at lower wages.

Dabanton

I think I said this last time but:

Who do you think applies for the experienced positions in the game industry if people don't leave jobs?

3-4 years in a position as a young creative is long enough.

That's what makes these threads so silly.

If you're a talented creative in any industry you'll move around to get better pay, different projects and challenges to work on.

le.phat

Nope, it's not our business to begin with.

Naughty dogs has a big following, fans who has been supporting them for years. I'm not saying they MUST, but i think they are allowed some insight in big restructions, changes in formations and such. It allows for closure and it manages expectations.

fvng

That's what I'm wondering. I personally was disappointed to hear about Uncharted 4 when the studio has proven itself to be able to make success stories out of new IP's and has the creative talent to not need to be bogged down with one IP.

Being turned into sequel factories is why Bungie and IW had issues.

Sony did the same thing with their Psygnosis/Liverpool studio. Making them develop Wipeout sequels and nothing else. It's sad when studios are not allowed to stretch their creative muscles

This is an odd series of events. Sure to some, this seems normal for business - I personally am an strong proponent of corporate loyalty - but if the lead left to pursue better options for himself, more power to him.

Naughty dogs has a big following, fans who has been supporting them for years. I'm not saying they MUST, but i think they are allowed some insight in big restructions, changes in formations and such. It allows for closure and it manages expectations.

So what do you want them to say?

Anything they would say would just be general talk. They would never go into details on the departure of former members because that's a legal hellhole.

There is nothing to gain and not enough people actually give a shit to make an official announcement or explanation.

fvng

This is an odd series of events. Sure to some, this seems normal for business - I personally am an strong proponent of corporate loyalty - but if the lead left to pursue better options for himself, more power to him.

Then there are tragically bad decisions like Kelee Santiago going from ThatGameCompany to Ouya

Bishop89

igX1CqJmVklbY.jpg

nelchaar

Wonder how much people would care about non-ND employees leaving other companies.

People move on to bigger, better things (as most of you in this thread do in your respective industries and jobs).

There is a distinct different between having the ability to lead and having successful and proven leadership experience.

There's a starting point for everything and with the talent ND have I am sure numerous people can step up. Not to mention, I am sure there are a lot of people in ND that have experience.

I should have pointed i was talking from a technical point of view. He is besides ICE team top programmer, that would be double loss.

Wow thats impressive.

Can we just have an OT of game industry folk changing jobs/leaving the industry/whatever? The fact that there is a new thread for each person leaving is part of the reason that each one is blown out of proportion, I think.

If he worked on TLoU then it makes sense that after a huge project like that ships he might want to move on. However, is this number of departures from a studio like this typical, or does it indicate trouble at Naughty Dog? There does seem to be a lot of high-profile staff leaving as of late.

udiie

Can we just have an OT of game industry folk changing jobs/leaving the industry/whatever? The fact that there is a new thread for each person leaving is part of the reason that each one is blown out of proportion, I think.

but then how would gaf generate these garbage memes that arent funny?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Wonder how much people would care about non-ND employees leaving other companies.

People move on to bigger, better things (as most of you in this thread do in your respective industries and jobs).

This. At this point, ND is under the internet microscope.
Even though every company under the sun shifts personnel on a regular basis, we only see threads for when ND does.

But yeah, let's cue some more hilarious Druckmann jokes!

nelchaar

Ok, but i am sure that if Real Madrid loses Cristiano Ronaldo, even being 1 of 24 players in the team, the team results will be affected...

ND's Cristiano Ronaldo nowadays is Jason Gragory, so i hope not to see a thread saying he leaves...

We do not speak of such things. Haha, but seriously, enjoyed that poignant analogy.

Interesting about Jason Gragory being the CR7 of ND. I'd think it would be Evan Wells, or Straley/Druckman with the gem that is TLoU.

Shinta

Banned
It definitely feels like something major happened at not just Naughty Dog, but Sony studios as a whole. Tons of leads leaving, across 4 of their top studios. Very few game announcements. Delays of games. Silence from the usually chatty Yoshida and Boyd.

They are coasting on their great PS4 launch, but they haven't done shit for months but put out a steady stream of terrible news.

4 top leads at Naughty Dog, minimum
Lead of God of War
Lead of inFamous SS
Lead of The Last Guardian
Jack Tretton

All gone. Basically no exclusives shown at all, still, besides Drive Club and The Order.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Am I not allowed to post my opinions in two different threads that possibly have the same underlying cause? Or am I only allowed to have a thought once and then never type it again?
What are you going on about? The only thing I said was
"Didn't you post the exact same thing earlier today?"
I don't know why you're getting all puffy (Ami Yumi) for.
It is none of our business what goes on in Naughty Dogs offices. That is private dealings between employees and their employers. The only press release we are privy too is,
"We can confirm Micheal Knowland has left Naughty Dog and the timeline of Uncharted 4 and any other games in productions will not be impacted."

Liamario

Banned
Druckman joke has now been milked utterly. I don't think this would have gotten any attention if it wasn't for amy Henning leaving. People move on and at the rate these departures are being reported, we should see an interview from NDs ex janitor on kotaku by the end of the week.

We do not speak of such things. Haha, but seriously, enjoyed that poignant analogy.

Interesting about Jason Gragory being the CR7 of ND. I'd think it would be Evan Wells, or Straley/Druckman with the gem that is TLoU.

Well for me ND games are a delight:
-first for its technical achievements: gameplay, character movement, good graphics...
-second for its writing, history.

So, I care more for the technical side of it. Except for TLOU the writing so far has not being out of this world.

Shinta

Banned
Druckman joke has now been milked utterlyl. I don't think this would have gotten any attention if it wasn't for amy Henning leaving. People move on and at the rate these departures are being reported, we should see an interview from NDs ex janitor on kotaku by the end of the week.

I don't buy that at all. It's 7 top leads leaving from Sony studios in a short amount of time, right after a new CEO of Sony CE America steps in for Tretton. It's unusual.

If it was MS studios losing 7 leads, I think people would notice.

valkyre

THis is getting out of hand.

Naughty dog has perhaps 200+ people in their workforce. Someone leaves, the trend of the days is, "quickly report it".

This guy for example was at ND 2.5 years. He worked only in TLOU. He finished his work and he left.

Do we get similar reports as these when people are hired by Naughty Dog?

No.

Probably ND has made some hiring as well these days. But no. The cool news are about the people leaving. Panic mode on.

To people in the know, is it common for this many leads to leave during a project's production?

The question is whether or not he (and Wells) are even involved with Uncharted 4?

The projects associated with them, both who joined after Uncharted 3 were only TLoU.

MormaPope

Banned
Guys, I've known the truth for a long time now.

Truth is, Jak 4 is being made. Yup, I said it, Jak 4 is being made. This caused a civil war so to speak due to one part of the team wanting to make a open world platformer akin to Arkham City, but with the scale of a GTA game. The other part of Naughty Dog wanted to make a Dark Souls-esque Jak game where the platforming is extremely tough and the world is interconnected, the player can find shortcuts or create them. This creative rift has put the entire team on edge and a lot of people are backing out. Other creative arguments included if Daxter should be in the game, if it would be a sequel or reboot, whether or not to include vehicles, the whole thing is a mess.

I know what what you're thinking, and yes, I know this because I've read tweets and can interpret them with no error. This is the closest thing to the truth and I'm worried.

I don't buy that at all. It's 7 top leads leaving from Sony studios in a short amount of time, right after a new CEO of Sony CE America steps in for Tretton. It's unusual.

If it was MS studios losing 7 leads, I think people would notice.

Ueda left in 2011. 3 years ago.
Jamie said he left on good terms.
Evolution director explained his departure reasons, which is all personal.
2 of the most recent ND departures were members of TLoU team, which had nothing to do with UC4. One even left to the office nearby at SSM, since Giant Sparrow operates from Santa Monica offices. Not a Sony studio, but still on Sony payroll for another few years.

The ones that are notably troubling are Amy and Richmond .

Top Bottom