• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel teasing a new game on Instagram

this ubisoft independence day thing sounds like a shareholders meeting. one with a very important decision in mind (the vivendi takeover)

i don't see why they would announce this game there lol, or any game really, to the public

Squire

Banned
tL78BAG.jpg

ltLPZHc.jpg

If Vivendi buys Ubisoft they become Just Another Game Company. I think Ubisoft needs everything they can right now to re-affirm they're not just one of those. That's why they're doing another South Park, that's why For Honour is happening (with a surprisingly big push to boot), it's why they're making Steep despite never making a snowboarding game before...

...I think getting out there and saying "remember the game with the pig guy and the alien photography? We're doing another one" speaks to that ambition more than anything. So yeah, I think it's definitely reasonable to expect something a bit more concrete soon.

this ubisoft independence day thing sounds like a shareholders meeting. one with a very important decision in mind (the vivendi takeover)

i don't see why they would announce this game there lol, or any game really, to the public

Haha yea I saw the independence day thing, sounds like they might be preparing some onslaught of projects to sell investors/shareholders on

Considering the amount of people ,,waiting for tears", this will be a fullblown shyamalayahan_twist.jpg, when this comes to everything but NX. I.e. when tears will be shed by everyone who was already preparing to wallow in stupid fanboy wars.

Which is very likely, especially since Ancel specifically said that this game needs great hardware power. During the promotion for Rayman Legends, he particularly said that WiiU would never get BG&E2, because it's too weak. So, unless Nintendo's next (apparent) handheld is on par with PS4 somehow, don't count on it even getting a port.

I just wonder what type of game it will be. Will he have creative control, or will it turn into the same sort of bloated, padded mess that most Ubisoft games are these days.

Rayman and Grow Home got creative freedom so I will remain optimistic.

Considering the amount of people ,,waiting for tears", this will be a fullblown shyamalayahan_twist.jpg, when this comes to everything but NX. I.e. when tears will be shed by everyone who was already preparing to wallow in stupid fanboy wars.

Which is very likely, especially since Ancel specifically said that this game needs great hardware power. During the promotion for Rayman Legends, he particularly said that WiiU would never get BG&E2, because it's too weak. So, unless Nintendo's next (apparent) handheld is on par with PS4 somehow, don't count on it even getting a port.

He said it needs more power than PS360, Wii U was only slightly above that. NX should handle the game fine.

If these thing is co-produced by Nintendo as some rumors told I am sure they will find a way to run this on NX :D and even if is not, NX should handle it fine.

thebloo

If Vivendi buys Ubisoft they become Just Another Game Company. I think Ubisoft needs everything they can right now to re-affirm they're not just one of those. That's why they're doing another South Park, that's why For Honour is happening (with a surprisingly big push to boot), it's why they're making Steep despite never making a snowboarding game before...

...I think getting out there and saying "remember the game with the pig guy and the alien photography? We're doing another one" speaks to that ambition more than anything. So yeah, I think it's definitely reasonable to expect something a bit more concrete soon.

shaun-white-snowboarding-world-stage-box-wii.jpg

low-G

Whoa uh, I dreamed that Beyond Good & Evil 2 came out last night & I DIDN'T see this thread first...

Also the game was middling because they crapped it out to exploit the fans

spekkeh

Banned
Now that a second image was released, I don't think it's going to be NX exclusive. I could understand some kind of green light as a taste for the NX reveal, but with no reveal scheduled and more info, it seems more like it's not a controlled leak, but simply a new game coming up, not part of any hype cycle. I doubt Nintendo would be okay with an exclusive being outed like that.

Lime

If Ubisoft wanted to show their investors or shareholders that they are a financially responsible company, making it exclusive to a platform holder known for their low third-party sales for a machine that hasn't even been announced yet and which is less likely to gain a comparable consumer base as the existing platforms, doesn't seem like a very good idea.

Making it exclusive for the NX would be financially irresponsible, not only in terms of possible consumers buying the game, but also allocating their studios and workforce to a project with artificially less ROI due to console exclusivity.

Byvar

Bit too "real" for me. Hopefully the game has a bit more style than the concept art implies.
I like it that that shark looks real. Jade's a bit smaller than those sharks, so imagine trying to talk to that guy and staring at those real-looking teeth. Very intimidating. On the other hand, baby Pey'J looked a bit more cartoony to make him cuter, so it's a blend between those styles, and they're definitely going for realism in the right places.

Anyway, I didn't think Ancel would post more concept art so quickly. I wonder if he'll continue this after the shareholders meeting as well... probably not.
By the way, it seems that meeting started 20 minutes ago?

Kinda torn on the player choice aspect. We've heard it before with 2 but I just don't think a mass effect style choice system suits Beyond good and evil.

I like it that that shark looks real. Jade's a bit smaller than those sharks, so imagine trying to talk to that guy and staring at those real-looking teeth. Very intimidating. On the other hand, baby Pey'J looked a bit more cartoony to make him cuter, so it's a blend between those styles, and they're definitely going for realism in the right places.

There are definitely advantages to giving things more of an edge in that respect but I think of BG&E being a bit more...off-kilter? Something more strange than harsh.

Then again it's just character art; seeing that realistic shark-man in the equivalent of the Mammago Garage could still give that bizarre vibe I associate with the original game.

spekkeh

Banned
"If I extrapolate a bit around what I've been told, BG&E2 should be Ubisoft's first non-systemic game, based around player's choices and actions."

https://twitter.com/Willvs/status/781472079002689536

"He also slipped and almost said that Ubi is working on an open world detective game"

https://twitter.com/Willvs/status/781472400403816448
I read it as that it is actually systemic, I.e. a sandbox game. Non systemic would be more like Telltale.

"World first" ---> jeu systémique, entièrement basé sur la liberté d'improviser, sans trame narrative contraignante.

Without a compelling narrative. Fuck no, didn't ask for this.

If Ubisoft wanted to show their investors or shareholders that they are a financially responsible company, making it exclusive to a platform holder known for their low third-party sales for a machine that hasn't even been announced yet and which is less likely to gain a comparable consumer base as the existing platforms, doesn't seem like a very good idea.

Making it exclusive for the NX would be financially irresponsible, not only in terms of possible consumers buying the game, but also allocating their studios and workforce to a project with artificially less ROI due to console exclusivity.

Red steel was a success for ubi, unlike zombiu. Though zombi wasn't successful because it was a game without an audience regardless, as it unfortunately showed when it was rejigged as a multi platform game.

As far as bge2, it depends who's footing the bill and paying for its marketing, which is often what sparks deals.

If it is Nintendo funded as per the rumour, none of that matters.

KingBroly

Banned
"If I extrapolate a bit around what I've been told, BG&E2 should be Ubisoft's first systemic game, based around player's choices and actions."

https://twitter.com/Willvs/status/781472079002689536

"He also slipped and almost said that Ubi is working on an open world detective game"

https://twitter.com/Willvs/status/781472400403816448

If it was like Telltale's games, that'd extremely disappointing. Then again, it might be the only way it'd be made since it could be made a lot cheaper.

khaaan

So is October 4 still in the running for possibly having some NX information dropped? Or was that rumor squashed?

CDV13

Was there a rumor this is going to be NX exclusive? I have scrolled through a solid amount of this thread just seeing mentions of this, but i did not see links or anything. Just curious.

Lime

As far as bge2, it depends who's footing the bill and paying for its marketing, which is often what sparks deals.

If it is Nintendo funded as per the rumour, none of that matters.

jett

D-Member
Regardless of whether this thing actually ever exists or not, these hyper-realistic designs are really off-putting.

Lime

BG&E isn't a title to put out to make the big bucks anyway.
So if Nintendo indeed ponied up the money, it makes sense to do it just for the good will.
I hope not of course, just because exclusives are bad.

ROI and potential profits are simply bigger on already existing platforms than whatever Nintendo has cooking with its current 0 potential consumers and it'll likely be something that won't be bigger than the current install base on PC/consoles once BGE2 releases.

Krowley

Unless Nintendo are helping pay for it, which is one of the main rumors... There was a destructoid rumor suggesting just that earlier in the year.

EDIT: Looks like several people beat me to it.

Anyway, assuming the NX rumours are true, I think this might be a game that wouldn't have been made at all without Nintendo money.

Top Bottom