• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass subscription service

Elandyll

Banned
Hopefully this drives down the price of PS Now. I'd like to use it, but it's way too expensive.
I'm pretty sure something is coming with PSNow, just look at the recent move away from some devices.

Imo we're going to see PSNow becoming what it was supposed to be from the beginning when announced alongside the PS4 reveal: a $9.99 sub a month, discount if you have a PS+, and including a wide choice of PS3 games, but also PS4 ones to try and purchase possibly with a discount (particularly if you have PS+).
I imagine the plan also is to open it to mobile devices (Android / IOS).

Competition is good indeed.

Admodieus

And now you see why Play Anywhere matters. Any game in Game Pass that is on Play Anywhere will probably be included in this.

amdb00mer

No, they should focus on Scorpio and games at E3.

Agreed. MS does this every year. They make small announcements every month leading up to E3 so that the keynote can be focused on the games. It's been this way for at least the past 3 years. You can credit "you know who" and and their fans for this since they bashed on MS for having keynotes for TV, media and system features, but little for games.

So do the games stay in your library if you are still subscribed? Like if they get removed from the service do they get removed from your library?

I guess for people that just want to play lots of things, spending 180 per year to play lots of old games might be worth it.

I'm not really interested since they all seem to be really old games, games that will be on PS+ (like NBA), or games that I would have already played by the time they're in the service (old Gears games).

Also the fact that they rotate the games and you lose access to them just makes it not attractive to me at all. I play select games that I know I like and I like keeping them and coming back to them.

If you want to consume games like some people do with TV, basically whatever is decent to kill the time, I guess it'll be good.

TBiddy

what's a bit unclear to me is....let's say they add Halo 5 to Game Pass. I will be able to play it as long as i am a Game Pass member, right? But if they remove it from Game Pass, i can not play that game anymore? Even though it's downloaded and installed?

That is correct.

Andodalf

Banned
Many years ago when MS launched live - an online service you had to pay for (when PS & PC etc were free) - I said it was the thin end of the wedge....I was right.

I could swallow when Sony started PS plus because of the free games, but as you say - then EA access came along and now this (or with Sony PSNow - although that reaches further than the console market so can sort of understand that).

I don't like the way it's going.

Yeah, sucks how this is mandatory for your xbox to even be able to turn on now :(

Sydle

Was wondering when they'd make their own EA Access. This is a pretty good start, but not sure about rotation. They should try to keep any first party titles they add to it as permanent additions.

Luminaire

That's pretty damn cool.

You could save tons of money on games this way. Although, maybe I'm misunderstanding, wouldn't this discourage people from buying games? I foresee a (small) collection of people simply waiting for the game to hit game pass.I imagine they won't be new releases so maybe it's a non issue entirely.

jsnepo

This deal is amazing. I'm interested in jumping in now. I mean depends on the games. If it's like PS+ for PS4 now, nah...

ironcreed

Banned
I would see how it goes. If it's all old shit and gwg games plus a few Xbox one games that are deeply discounted anyways what's the point? It's great for new customers and casuals though.

Agreed. Exhibit A:

- A Kingdom for Keflings
- Banjo 1
- Comic Jumper
- Defense Grid 2
- Gears Judgement
- Gears Ultimate
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Hexic 2
- Jetpac Refuelled
- Kameo
- Max: The Curse Of Brotherhood
- Monday Night Combat
- Ms. Splosion Man
- OF: Dragon Rising
- Perfect Dark Zero
- Sacred 3
- Sam & Max
- Sunset Overdrive
- The Maw
- Viva Pinata

There will be some great old games like Sunset Overdrive and Halo 5, but a lot of filler as well. And it all rotates out, so you cannot keep what you download, but can buy it at a discount... in addition to the the $10 a month. I am not seeing the appeal, personally.

trixx

If nintendo can do this for the switch and sony find gawd level engineers to crack PS3 emulation video game heaven will be here.

This is how some people want virtual console to work. Throw up a boatload of games from nes to gamecube, game boy to ds and let it be a monthly fee to access and let people have option to buy. Rather than pay $12 for an n64 game or at least decrease the prices.

what's a bit unclear to me is....let's say they add Halo 5 to Game Pass. I will be able to play it as long as i am a Game Pass member, right? But if they remove it from Game Pass, i can not play that game anymore? Even though it's downloaded and installed?

There will be 100 games at launch for download (not streaming). These games will cycle in and out, similar to how netflix works. Halo 5, Payday 2, Saints Row etc all at launch based off the picture. So lets say you liked those three games, and you intend on playing them a year from now. You could then buy them for 20% off so you could play them even once it cycles out.

But on the other hand, lets say you beat Saints Row, and you dont think you will ever touch it again. Then you just dont buy it. Truthfully I think people will tend to buy multiplayer games a lot more than singleplayer games because multiplayer tends to have more replay value.

Backlogger

Price point seems about right but

5yxZ7Yr.gif

Skeff

This looks great but it's going to live or die dependant on publisher support. Looking at the titles in the OP it looks like the only relevant titles for me would be the Microsoft game studios releases. Hopefully this service model can find its feet and expand but not at the cost of traditional game ownership. Looks like a smart move.

madmackem

Need to see a full list those in the picture or the alpha list I own and have too many new games to worry about old 360 titles I missed or lower tier Xbox one games. Same as psnow the idea seems good but will live and die by the content at a tenner a month not for me just yet.

SpeedNut

GameFly we hardly knew ye...

I just hope the regular digital sales don't go down the pisser with this option out there. I just don't have enough hours to play that much stuff. Damn adulting getting in the way...

Rodelero

This just doesn't quite do it for me. Going purely off the image, the range of games just doesn't seem exciting enough to justify a subscription. I'd probably be more interested if the price was higher and the game was newer. The balance EA has found with EA Access seems a lot better. Perhaps I'm not really the intended audience, but I'm slightly struggling to figure out who the intended audience is with this. The pricing seems almost as questionable as PS Nows, but if anything the range seems a little worse.

Agreed. Exhibit A:

There will be some great old games like Sunset Overdrive and Halo 5, but a lot of filler as well. And it all rotates out, so you cannot keep what you download, but can buy it at a discount... in addition to the the $10 a month. I am not seeing the appeal, personally.

Again, that is not the real list. It's the free alpha test. You can clearly see why it's free. lol

Bluenoser

Gamefly: *cries*

Nah, Gamefly still has the market on new games. I'm guessing Xbox game pass won't have anything that has released in the last year. That's why it's hard to get excited for this until you see the list of titles available.

But the idea in theory is very good. It's PS now, but current gen, and no streaming.

Calibos

This is a nice move...

-I can spend $120 a year on my Xbox Library instead of $1000+

-This + EA access + Live = roughly $220 a year (without bargain hunting)

-Download speed patch a few weeks back makes this even more awesome

Hopefully, the list of participants grows and Play Anywhere gets into the fold as well...

64bitbros

It looks like a list of games you'd see offered with PS+ or GWG.

Still, it all depends on how frequently they update and expand the library.

Yeah, i wonder how many of these games will have overlap with GWG titles. If you were with GWG from the start, how many non-GWG games are you left with?

Kayant

This is a very good play and fits in well with their continued services play. It's essentially an extension of GwG only now you have access to a wider library at all times and likely for longer.

Also great that it is not only native gaming but also is well priced. Most games are probably going to be BC titles and older XB1 titles. That 20% discount on games in the service is pretty legit 👌👍👌

Comparisons to PSnow are a bit shortsighted as both exist for different reasons of course implementation/pricing here is infinitely better and more inline with what most gamers want/expect today.

Also not surprised the big players like EA and Ubisoft are not listed.

Vintage

Not bad.

I guess the catch is that you'll need to finish the games they offer in one month. If you're half-way through the game, you'll be forced to buy it if you want to finish it. That's why they mention a special discount.
You either keep playing or you pay for the full game. Pretty clever way to keep high MAU numbers.

The Netflix of videogames!
I already sold my XOne for a Switch :/
Still selling mine as well. No time to create a bigger backlog. The pit is deep enough as is between PS4, Wii U, and 3DS.

This is good though. Jumpstarts a fluid library for many willing to pay the sub price. Especially casuals not really looking to get newer games. The lineup is what will solidify it as viable. Your service is only as good as your products...

shandy706

This just doesn't quite do it for me. Going purely off the image, the range of games just doesn't seem exciting enough to justify a subscription. I'd probably be more interested if the price was higher and the game was newer. The balance EA has found with EA Access seems a lot better.

Perhaps I'm not really the intended audience, but I'm slightly struggling to figure out who the intended audience is with this. The pricing seems almost as questionable as PS Nows, but if anything the range seems a little worse.

This isn't aimed at those of us that have hundreds of games that we bought or those of us that are there day one (or the first few months) for games.

It's for those that want access to a large library and are happy to pay $10 for it. I have teen cousins, friends, and family that don't have a lot of income...they'd love this.

Top Bottom