• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass subscription service

gamz

This is my main concern. I think it's great when it's value is good to the consumer, but I'm dreading the day every big publisher has their own service. EA in, MS in, my guess Sony follows suit but not before Ubisoft.

Why is this a concern tho? You can always just buy the game.

"Every month new games will cycle into the subscription with some cycling out, giving you a constantly-updating library of games"
-Phil Spencer

Oersted

PS Now has the ability to run on PC and Smart TVs as well as the PS consoles. Game Pass does not do this.

However, being able to download the games is also a massive positive.

PlayStation Now will be discontinued on PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV, Sony Bravia televisions (modeled between 2013-15), Sony Blu-ray players and all Samsung televisions by August 15, 2017.

Edit:

Ah, you corrected yourself later

//DEVIL//

As a game cOllector i really dont care much about the service as i dont even own an xbox console( might buy thr scorpio ) but neverless this could be amazing if the it has good games that worth the 10$ per month

PS Now has the ability to run on PC and Smart TVs as well as the PS consoles. Game Pass does not do this.

However, being able to download the games is also a massive positive.
Yeah but PSNow is terrible. The pricing to rent old games is bad and the streaming is a poor gameplay experience. I have a great internet connection (70 down 40 up), wired console and rented Ninja Giaden Sigma and the controls felt like I was running through molasses. Didn't even finish the rental period.

Floody

I honestly see it as a mix of both. This is definitely Microsoft doing their own thing, but there are too many similarities to PSNow to believe that they didn't take inspiration from there.

As for your second statement, I fully reject the idea that Sony has no need for improvement here. Microsoft took their idea and improved upon it, so they would be wise to make a move of their own. I'm not saying that they will, but it'd also be silly for them to just ignore this without at least thinking of how they can improve their own offering.

Yeah mix of both is probably a better way to put it.

I wasn't saying Sony should just sit and watch though, getting PSNow in more places should be a top priority. They also need to get PS1 and 2 games up and give people a monthly option, these services lend themselves to short sub during a drought than long term commitments imo. Outside of that what else can they realistically do currently, game streaming still has many years to go until most can reliably use it and there's not much they can do about that. And PS4 can't Emulate the Cell so downloading them isn't an option.
For Plus I think they should kill of either the Vita or PS3 and guarantee at least 1 relatively new (within the last 12 month) AAA game a month.

Kodros

And that's not all either.

You see?? You see why building your catalog and having your games accessible on future hardware is important? I've been saying this for years. Now switch that list out with a bunch of games from the PS1, PS2, PS3( not possible because Cell lol), and PS4. Or Virtual Console games from NES, SNES, N64, GCN, and WII, and WII U. This would give the platform holders incentive to actually BUILD a lasting catalog of games that they can continue to make money off of.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

It's great for people that really want to play the older games but personally, I have a major issue keeping up with modern games. So going back to a PS1 game that I played many years ago doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Shots fired.
This seems like a great deal, or at the very least, a nice option for some people.

Sony better hope they have an answer for this and Microsoft's backwards compatibility on the XBone.

As it now, PS Now is a bad joke, especially considering how many platforms they are going to discontinue service for.

They should just roll PS NOW into Plus if they want to compete.

Very cool idea. I would assume most 3rd party games would be older. Devs will either be making pennies on the dollar per download or a lump sum for xbox to make available for a set amount of time. Either scenario is a raw deal for devs of any game of consequence.

This could end up being a fantastic service depending on how quickly new games come onto the service, with how quickly we move past new releases these days only having games on that are a year old and over will probably kill the appeal.

Source?

I doubt that's true. It's the full game you're downloading.

In the faq you still need xbox gold to play multiplayer in those games.

heres the text I robbed:

No, you do not need to have an Xbox Live Gold membership to access Xbox Game Pass. As with all Xbox Live titles, you will need an Xbox Live Gold membership to play multiplayer in Xbox Game Pass titles.

Gowans

With all the free games, EA access and GwG along with all the sales and my buys I've got a major backlog problem but this looks great for someone to jump in.

I'll still be EA accessing but might jump in on this for a few months to see how it goes.

Calibos

I just don't see how you're going to save that much money. You're not going to have access to games that you would have spent close to full retail value otherwise.

We'll see. I bought roughly 50 games last year of various prices. If I was able to play 5-10 before jumping in at any price, that seems great to me....

I am not saying this is great for every single person...I have just wanted an on-demand gaming rental service from MS and Sony from the beginning. It only makes sense when digital titles are readily available and their pricing is still so fucked up.

I feel like this is one of those things that sounds amazing but in actuality ends up not being as good of a deal as it seems. It seems like you might have to play and beat at least a game or two a month for it to be worth it or risk your Xbox filling up with games that have been pulled from rotation. I also can't see $60 games being launched on the service but I'd like to be surprised.

release scorpio, high end model
keep the silm as the standard xbox model.
xbox 360 rebranded into media streamer/low brand that can stream xbox one games, theres your cheap living room entry.

Capella

What list?

Is there an official list?

Quick and dirty list from the alpha test:

- A Kingdom for Keflings
- Banjo 1
- Comic Jumper
- Defense Grid 2
- Gears Judgement
- Gears Ultimate
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Hexic 2
- Jetpac Refuelled
- Kameo
- Max: The Curse Of Brotherhood
- Monday Night Combat
- Ms. Splosion Man
- OF: Dragon Rising
- Perfect Dark Zero
- Sacred 3
- Sam & Max
- Sunset Overdrive
- The Maw
- Viva Pinata

It's for the alpha so it could always expand.

With PS Now the games on offer don't change from month to month (apart from new additions)
Ah, I always assumed it was a rotating library of games.

gamz

In the faq you still need xbox gold to play multiplayer in those games.

heres the text I robbed:

No, you do not need to have an Xbox Live Gold membership to access Xbox Game Pass. As with all Xbox Live titles, you will need an Xbox Live Gold membership to play multiplayer in Xbox Game Pass titles.

Well, yeah, of course.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The trend for games seems to be people sticking with single games for a longer period of time: overwatch, rainbow six siege, Paragon, world of tanks, rocket league, destiny, etc.

This kind of sampler subscription with tons of older catalog games seems a little ignorant of that.

Seems more like a way monetize otherwise virtually worthless (to the publisher) x360 software. X1 titles are loss leaders and the bulk is old stuff.

MilkyJoe

This is great news for low income families.

Wondering how they can make up the numbers, well looks like they came up with a pretty fool proof plan, i'd be amazed if this doesn't shift some boxes.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
As long as there's value who cares? Just buy the game then.

I care because it sets a precedent for them going all in with even more additional subscriptions at the cost of their core services...

They should be trying to add this shit in to base gold fees.

I already thought PSNOW and EA access was a dumb system because PSnow was streaming(and i hate the concept of game streaming) for a horrible price and EA access was another service on top of XBL for only one company's output, but while Game pass is a much better system compared to these, its still putting overt focus on adding even more subscriptions on top of subscriptions.

So now at most you'd be paying for

XBL

EA Access

Xbox Game Pass

All on one unit

Bsigg12

That list of available games come November could be something else and a hell of an incentive to get an Xbox One this holiday.

Shock32

Good service for people who want it. Options are always good. I prefer getting games day one so I don't think I'd be interested in something like this.

RodzTF

This is great news for low income families.

Wondering how they can make up the numbers, well looks like they came up with a pretty fool proof plan, i'd be amazed if this doesn't shift some boxes.

However, is there a positive correlation between low-income families and good internet access/speeds?

Fredrik

Nice! I'm in!

"Every month new games will cycle into the subscription with some cycling out, giving you a constantly-updating library of games"
-Phil Spencer
Aaaand I'm out.

:(

No cycling out please and it might be worth the money. Why cap it at 100 games?? Netflix with 100 movies wouldn't be worth the money either.

So close. Yet so far.

The trend for games seems to be people sticking with single games for a longer period of time: overwatch, rainbow six siege, Paragon, world of tanks, rocket league, destiny, etc.

This kind of sampler subscription with tons of older catalog games seems a little ignorant of that.

Continues to try hard...

Multiplayer games are popular. They tend to have long life cycles, and good legs because of that. Hypothtically if a multiplayer game gets put in Game Pass, those are the games that are more likely to be bought than singleplayer games.

adding to that, it has been going on for a while with EA Access as much of their games are multiplayer driven.

gamz

I care because it sets a precedent for them going all in with even more additional subscriptions at the cost of their core services...

They should be trying to add this shit in to base gold fees.

I already thought PSNOW and EA access was a dumb system because PSnow was streaming(and i hate the concept of game streaming) for a horrible price and EA access was another service on top of XBL for only one company's output, but while Game pass is a much better system compared to these, its still putting overt focus on adding even more subscriptions on top of subscriptions.

So now at most you'd be paying for

XBL

EA Access

Xbox Game Pass

All on one unit

But nobody is forcing you. Just buy the game.

Toni

Microsoft stepping it up. Might have to pick up an Xbox One after all.

Listen, you won't pick up an $249 Xbox One because they just announced video game rentals lol. If you really wanted one, you would have gotten it already.

Bsigg12

Nice! I'm in!

Aaaand I'm out.

:(

No cycling out please and it might be worth the money. Why cap it at 100 games?? Netflix with 100 movies wouldn't be worth the money either.

So close. Yet so far.

Baby steps. I would assume they have that language in there for 3rd party games.

splattered

My only issue with this service is ISP data caps... Cox just announced that they give 1TB of Data per month and that if you go over this you have to pay $10 per 50GB

We are a cord cutter family and we frequently go over 1TB so this worries me.

flkraven

Quick and dirty list from the alpha test:

- A Kingdom for Keflings
- Banjo 1
- Comic Jumper
- Defense Grid 2
- Gears Judgement
- Gears Ultimate
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Hexic 2
- Jetpac Refuelled
- Kameo
- Max: The Curse Of Brotherhood
- Monday Night Combat
- Ms. Splosion Man
- OF: Dragon Rising
- Perfect Dark Zero
- Sacred 3
- Sam & Max
- Sunset Overdrive
- The Maw
- Viva Pinata

If this is at all indicative of what they hope to offer, than this service sucks hot ass. 95% GWG games + the games from Rare Replay which is buyable for $9.

Top Bottom