• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass subscription service

RedFury

Don't really seem like Sony should be worried. Shelling out a live sub on top of a games service sub is not appealing especially if this was on ps4. Way too many new games to buy then worry about playing old games
I guess you got to do what you got to do when you have no new games coming out and you cancel half you catalog.
This is a joke, still salty as fuck about scalebound

sangreal

I'll definitely be in for the service when it launches, but I have all the games I'd want to play from the preview

edit: oh neat, the preview is free

OldRoutes

Wait.

After games cycle out, are you not allowed to keep the ones you've downloaded as long as your subscribed? Like GwG or PS+? Does it just revoke access once the month is over?

Wondering if I'm reading this wrong or not.

Yeap! Like Netflix -- it removes the games and you'll have to pay for them, unless you own them already.

The 100 games probably won't rotate every months -- only a few titles.

Wedzi

Banned
From Mike Ybarra. Adding Membership to My Games and Apps. Design not final
C5wtZqBUYAERtw-.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/xboxqwik/status/836593552377327618

That's really smart. I hope the membership option alleviates the Ready to Install section. I have over 200 games in there and have no idea what I own out right and what are Games with Gold. Would be nice to separate everything. Plus it would serve to add value to Games with Gold, letting users see what they'll lose if they unsubscribe.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Wait.

After games cycle out, are you not allowed to keep the ones you've downloaded as long as your subscribed? Like GwG or PS+? Does it just revoke access once the month is over?

That seems to be the system, yeah

Wait.

its like netflix in the sense games will be coming and going monthly. When a game is available you can purchase it fully at a 20% discount

danowat

Banned
Wait.

Well, you can't continue to watch Netflix movies once they cycle out, so...........

gamz

Wait.

Correct.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Now let's see if Sony's response is to make every PS3 digital game purchase available for free with PSnow, something I wondered when they limited it to PC and PS4.

Kodros

That's you. You also have to factor in people who have never played a lot of these older games. Ever been in a conversation where people are talking about some of their favorite classic film and "It's on Netflix, I'll check it out." always pops up? Well, this could happen with games. Hell, this could give younger people the opportunity to go back and try some classics damn near hassle free.

I think there's a lot of value in having these older titles accessible on the newest hardware. This subscription service could be a major stepping stone for that.

Heh, I know that's me. That's why I said personally =). Younger kids don't give a flying crap about older games. There's plenty of great modern stuff to play without me forcing my video game experience as a young lad on them. Especially for $120 a year.

MarveI

I'm legit more interested in the 20% discount I'll get than the games offered.
Like 20% is huge imo.

Would be awesome if they also allow trials to new games.

Actually PS Now will no longer work on Smart TVs. Only PC and Ps4 from now on, all other versions discontinued.

PlayStation Now will be discontinued on PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV, Sony Bravia televisions (modeled between 2013-15), Sony Blu-ray players and all Samsung televisions by August 15, 2017.

Sony better compensate for discontinuing those. I have a Samsung TV with PS Plus and was going to subscribe in the summer. Pathetic from Sony, if they did this just so they can just improve the UI or something similar...

And then they rotate and you can't play them anymore anyway.

We don't know if Game Pass would do the same...

Yeah but PSNow is terrible. The pricing to rent old games is bad and the streaming is a poor gameplay experience. I have a great internet connection (70 down 40 up), wired console and rented Ninja Giaden Sigma and the controls felt like I was running through molasses. Didn't even finish the rental period.

I've had a go and I thought it was fine. Yet again I live quite close to London so maybe that had an influence. As people mentioned, you have to be close to a server for the service to work well.

Also I don't think playing fast-paced games on the service is a good idea...

Don't forget you can play Xbox one on win10 pcs so this service extends beyond just the xbox.

But do you need an XONE to use the service? PS Plus, you don't need a PS.

flkraven

Depending on titles, my PS+ subscription is elapsing soon and I can see myself switching over, at the very least it's nice to have options.

jaypah

This is pretty cool. No Xbox for me but I'd like something just like this on PS4. As for the current list of games I'll wait and see the games the service officially launches with before I chime in on that. I tested PSNow before it came to market and played Pacific Rim and some dirtbike game. The beta PSNow library was not indicative of the games the full service got and I don't expect this to be either.

So if you're ass-deep in some 60-hour RPG and the game cycles out of the library, can you still keep playing without purchasing the game outright?
I would imagine (hope) that hey will treat it like Netflix does and give you a months heads up.

Like, "here is a list of what is adding to the Game Pass on March 1 and here is what is leaving March 1

You then have 30 days to get your ass in gear and finish the RPG, or think about buying it for 20% off

xabbott

The trend for games seems to be people sticking with single games for a longer period of time: overwatch, rainbow six siege, Paragon, world of tanks, rocket league, destiny, etc.

This kind of sampler subscription with tons of older catalog games seems a little ignorant of that.

As someone who was in this camp during the first 2-3 years of WoW this would have been perfect for me. I actually used Gamefly back then to check out games that I didn't want to buy/commit to. Especially with so many games having shorter campaigns. Or maybe you have some friends over and download smaller local co-op games.

Jarlaxle

So basically EA Access but with multiple different publishers. I'm interested to see what is included but if done right, $10/month sounds like a great deal.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Don't know if I'd use this but I'm happy MS is doing this. Shows commitment to the brand.

Its just a variant on PSNow, and shares the exact same long-term downside insofar as it likely being not that appealing financially to publishers. Although its a smart bit of business for MS as it allows them to claw some money back from the sunk cost of facilitating 360 BC.

Wait.

Probably, yeah. It's like Netflix but with downloads, and discounts if you want to buy to keep.

Its just a variant on PSNow, and shares the exact same long-term downside insofar as it likely being not that appealing financially to publishers. Although its a smart bit of business for MS as it allows them to claw some money back from the sunk cost of facilitating 360 BC.

Uhm this is more like EA Access. You wont stream the games.

Yeah, that's garbage imo. So many people getting hyped without looking at the games list. The only thing I've seen in the pictures or alpha list that hasn't been GWG or under $5 is Halo 5, Mad Max, and NBA 2k16 (all of which you could straight up own for under $14, maybe even get 2).

The Alpha list is 1/5 of the real list

Gren

People shouldn't look too much into the Alpha list I posted, that is just a 'free test' they're trying out. I doubt they'd offer the good stuff to testers for free.

For an idea of the kinds of things the real release list will look like I'd say the picture banner they have up there when they announced it is a more accurate idea.
That's true. But much like Plus & Gold, there's bound to be some "meh" months. I mean, there's only so many X1/BC titles to go around. An ever-expanding library, while perhaps too much to hope for, would've mitigated that.

Wait.

yes. this is the same like Netflix or Amazon Video

SilentRob

Wait.

It's like Netflix, the catalogue changes monthly and you can obviously only watch/play what's in the catalogue.

I was debating getting rid of my Xbox One with seemingly little to no exclusives coming out, but between this, EA Access and backwards compatibility, it's becoming my dedicated back-log machine.

Johnohno

Holy shit. Megaton!

Day one subscription. Hope this translates to £5.99.

Not understanding the PS now comparisons though, downloading 100gb worth of halo 5 vs streaming kbps ps3 games.

As a fellow Brit I admire your optimism, but we all know this will likely be £8.99 minimum :p

Top Bottom