• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass subscription service

Seems more like a way monetize otherwise virtually worthless (to the publisher) x360 software. X1 titles are loss leaders and the bulk is old stuff.

I guess it's really a toss up on the sampler subscription for these catalog titles or ala carte sales on them.

I prefer the ala carte sales as I don't feel like I'm paying for stuff I don't care about or already own.

Buy a game from 2014 on sale for $5-9 and maybe play it someday. I've enjoyed that catalog pricing model.

Sony

Nintendo
So for €10 euro a month I can play the SP campaigns of over 100 Xbox One and Xbox 360 games, and if I like to explore the MP of those games I can purchase them for a discount? That's a great idea.

The difference with EA Acces is that with Acces, games get added to the vault indefinetely. Game Pass refreshes the games per month, giving people the incentive to buy the games at a discount. Again, great idea.

I'm hoping for a Game Pass + Xbox Live subscription down the line.

If this is at all indicative of what they hope to offer, than this service sucks hot ass. 95% GWG games + the games from Rare Replay which is buyable for $9.

Most of the games from that list, if not all, are published by Microsoft Studios. I think they just want to test the service. Hence: alpha test.

Trago

It's great for people that really want to play the older games but personally, I have a major issue keeping up with modern games. So going back to a PS1 game that I played many years ago doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

That's you. You also have to factor in people who have never played a lot of these older games. Ever been in a conversation where people are talking about some of their favorite classic film and "It's on Netflix, I'll check it out." always pops up? Well, this could happen with games. Hell, this could give younger people the opportunity to go back and try some classics damn near hassle free.

I think there's a lot of value in having these older titles accessible on the newest hardware. This subscription service could be a major stepping stone for that.

Falchion

I'm excited to see what the launch catalog is and how early in the spring this will debut. Also I'm guessing that any season pass / DLC for games will not be included in this service since it's probably just base games only but we'll see.

Nice! I'm in!

Aaaand I'm out.

:(

No cycling out please and it might be worth the money. Why cap it at 100 games?? Netflix with 100 movies wouldn't be worth the money either.

So close. Yet so far.

netflix changes out movies all of the time. This service is a way for companies to relaunch games as well. You get 20% off of all games on the service at the time

cakely

Wow, interesting.

Personally, I have wish lists on Steam, PSN, and Amazon. If a game on my list hits a really low price (like $10 for Mad Max), then I'll buy it.

This service kind of competes with that. Rather than buying and owning a single game for $10/month, I would pay $10 and have access to a rotating list of the same sorts of games.

gamz

Listen, you won't pick up an $249 Xbox One because they just announced video game rentals lol. If you really wanted one, you would have gotten it already.

You are actually telling him what he will and won't do? Seriously?

JaffeLion

Banned
If this is at all indicative of what they hope to offer, than this service sucks hot ass. 95% GWG games + the games from Rare Replay which is buyable for $9.

lol service didn't even start. it's not even the list of the BETA test. this is the ALPHA TEST. Why don't you just wait and see what they can offer?

jbug617

Banned
From Mike Ybarra. Adding Membership to My Games and Apps. Design not final
C5wtZqBUYAERtw-.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/xboxqwik/status/836593552377327618

Depends. If most of those games are $10 or less used older titles or games they have run on sale for $5 in the past...

Seems a little pointless to me. I wouldn't pay $10/mo for a bunch of older games I might not even play. Would rather just buy them as you want to play them.

So you pay $120 a year for this and $60 a year for live?

this is a pretty pessimistic view...they are giving you a $10/mo service for potentially hours and hours of various games and seemingly few strings attached.

If we decided to break our videogame lives down into the "hours per dollar" value proposition the whole thing sounds even better.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a pretty good deal. This would be much better for me than PS Now because I can't even use that service due to my internet connection. If Microsoft keeps it up with backwards compatibility and services like this they may just win me over.

Continues to try hard...

Multiplayer games are popular. They tend to have long life cycles, and good legs because of that. Hypothtically if a multiplayer game gets put in Game Pass, those are the games that are more likely to be bought than singleplayer games.

adding to that, it has been going on for a while with EA Access as much of their games are multiplayer driven.

Plus if these games have micro transactions too you may feel inclined to buy a couple, to boost yourself a little, you know before the month is out.

RedFury

The trend for games seems to be people sticking with single games for a longer period of time: overwatch, rainbow six siege, Paragon, world of tanks, rocket league, destiny, etc.

This kind of sampler subscription with tons of older catalog games seems a little ignorant of that.

Why is this a concern tho? You can always just buy the game.
Simply...competition.
If company A makes a game and company B makes a service like this company B makes the money. Company A likes what they see and company A games will no longer be available on Bs service. Now to get the same value I had with service A I also have to get Bs service too.

Like I said I don't mind these services when they provide a good value proposition...but when every company wants a piece of that cookie things become a shit show. Its not ALWAYS good for the consumer when publishers fight for our money and attention.

I care because it sets a precedent for them going all in with even more additional subscriptions at the cost of their core services...

They should be trying to add this shit in to base gold fees.

I already thought PSNOW and EA access was a dumb system because PSnow was streaming(and i hate the concept of game streaming) for a horrible price and EA access was another service on top of XBL for only one company's output, but while Game pass is a much better system compared to these, its still putting overt focus on adding even more subscriptions on top of subscriptions.

So now at most you'd be paying for

XBL

EA Access

Xbox Game Pass

All on one unit
This is the game industry now mate. You will pay more money for less stuff, then pay extra on top of that for additional features.

We've gone too far down the rabbit hole.

The fact we pay for online is what started it all. Once they got away with that, and DLC, and season passes, etc, it just continued to snowball.

Its a test line up..
It's still a valid concern, what kind of games will we actually be getting for 10 dollars a month?

They actually decided to use NBA 2K16, a two year old game as a prominent game in the promo, if the games are going to be that old then who cares.

Chris1

In the faq you still need xbox gold to play multiplayer in those games.

heres the text I robbed:

No, you do not need to have an Xbox Live Gold membership to access Xbox Game Pass. As with all Xbox Live titles, you will need an Xbox Live Gold membership to play multiplayer in Xbox Game Pass titles.

Oh well that's obvious, same with EA Access too. I thought you meant the MP parts of games aren't available at all.

The trend for games seems to be people sticking with single games for a longer period of time: overwatch, rainbow six siege, Paragon, world of tanks, rocket league, destiny, etc.

This kind of sampler subscription with tons of older catalog games seems a little ignorant of that.

Those types of people are contempt with those games and don't play much else.

Wedzi

Banned
This falls in line with Microsoft moving Xbox to more service oriented platform. Seems to be a pretty good move to differentiate from PlayStation. A lot of those games cost more $10 by themselves used at Gamestop.

I wonder if Microsoft will start selling an Xbox One bundle at a discount but you have to subscribe to the service for multiple months?

ianpm31

Shots fired.
This seems like a great deal, or at the very least, a nice option for some people.

Sony better hope they have an answer for this and Microsoft's backwards compatibility on the XBone.

As it now, PS Now is a bad joke, especially considering how many platforms they are going to discontinue service for.

They should just roll PS NOW into Plus if they want to compete.

Don't really seem like Sony should be worried. Shelling out a live sub on top of a games service sub is not appealing especially if this was on ps4. Way too many new games to buy then worry about playing old games

shandy706

Nice! I'm in!

Aaaand I'm out.

:(

No cycling out please and it might be worth the money. Why cap it at 100 games?? Netflix with 100 movies wouldn't be worth the money either.

So close. Yet so far.

You can watch 1000 hours of movies in 30 days?

*Assuming only 10 hours of gameplay per game.

You're going to have games with multiplayer and campaigns with 20+ hours of gameplay most likely. That's a TON of games a month. I have trouble finishing 1-2 games a month.

FingerBang

Definitely a good service. I'm not interested (selling my Xbox and probably wouldn't use it on PS4 either) but there seems to be value there for people who don't buy many games.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This sounds pretty cool. Depending on the games available of course, but if this is anywhere near as good as EA Access it will be pretty sweet.

Expecting 75% BC and 25% XB1. I'd be cool with that still though. Guessing a majority of the XB1 will be MS first party and ID@Xbox but even if the list has at least one game I would purchase for $10 then it's a no brainer

dugdug

Banned
Wait.

After games cycle out, are you not allowed to keep the ones you've downloaded as long as your subscribed? Like GwG or PS+? Does it just revoke access once the month is over?

Wondering if I'm reading this wrong or not.

Don't really seem like Sony should be worried. Shelling out a live sub on top of a games service sub is not appealing especially if this was on ps4. Way too many new games to buy then worry about playing old games
You're complaining about having the "option" to get more games like it's being forced on you.

pastrami

Plus if these games have micro transactions too you may feel inclined to buy a couple, to boost yourself a little, you know before the month is out.

Yeah, I think this makes a lot of sense for Microsoft. I have no doubt that they will have some of their big titles be part of the service full time, and focus on getting microtransactions. Essentially turning their titles into "F2P" after some initial sales period. It also makes sense with how much Microsoft has moved towards GaaS. Sea of Thieves will no doubt have it's share of cosmetics to buy, and I'm guessing Crackdown 3 won't be far behind.

This is the game industry now mate. You will pay more money for less stuff, then pay extra on top of that for additional features.

We've gone too far down the rabbit hole.

The fact we pay for online is what started it all. Once they got away with that, and DLC, and season passes, etc, it just continued to snowball.

only if you willing to
you can also go and just play free 2 play games

Capella

It's still a valid concern, what kind of games will we actually be getting for 10 dollars a month?

They actually decided to use NBA 2K16, a two year old game as a prominent game in the promo, if the games are going to be that old then who cares.
I'm guessing this is meant to appeal to people who are new to Xbox or just don't buy a lot of games.

People shouldn't look too much into the Alpha list I posted, that is just a 'free test' they're trying out. I doubt they'd offer the good stuff to testers for free.

For an idea of the kinds of things the real release list will look like I'd say the picture banner they have up there when they announced it is a more accurate idea.

Yep this is why I'm over these services and gamefly.

OK, I get all this stuff for $10 a month, but not new releases I'm really excited for.

No matter what's in that $10/month I'm still buying horizon zero dawn and nier automata and playing those this month. So that's $10-$30 down the drain because I'm playing those for a few months.. etc, etc

New games are coming out so quickly idk who has time or desire to sit playing saints row 4 and halo 5 in 2017.

Top Bottom