• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces VR motion controllers. $399 VR headset + controllers this holiday

Alienous

We know Fallout 4 VR is coming to Scorpio, and we know Microsoft is not directly pushing VR.

I really, really hope Scorpio allows for several different types of headsets. I'd like to use my Oculus (and Touch) for the first time in a year, please.

Didn't the Oculus come bundled with a Microsoft controller? I could see Oculus support on the Scorpio happening - they seem to have some kind of partnership going on, and Microsoft aren't as invested in hardware as Sony.

nubbe

i think the price of entry is good enough for gaming enthusiasts since they would already own a good enough PC

Didn't the Oculus come bundled with a Microsoft controller? I could see Oculus support on the Scorpio happening - they seem to have some kind of partnership going on, and Microsoft aren't as invested in hardware as Sony.

I think when you take all factors in account, Oculus is one of the least likely to be on Scorpio.

mas8705

An interesting move to show this off before the conference next month. I wonder if this does have some relation with the upcoming Scorpio, or if this is going to be more specific with Windows 10? We'll see what happens, but this could make E3 more interesting if this does have a connection and decides to bring some competition to the PSVR (if there is competition).

Fantastic solution! I wonder if they'll end up saying that this stuff is compatible with Xbox? In interviews, Phil Spencer really seems to downplay the idea of VR on Xbox for right now and always talks up how he thinks Windows is the right place for it at the moment. He really doesn't think VR has hit the big time for gaming yet and I can't say I disagree.

I can tell you right now that the tracking won't be as good as lighthouse. It's a question of how much worse it will be in practice.

Just used the Acer on the Hub floor at Build - head tracking was perfectly indistinguishable, and IQ was for me nice than the vive. No controllers here, but for the price the headset is an excellent deal

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why are they using the 'mixed reality' term? I know they were big with that on hololens, but surely that Acer is a VR headset? If it relies on cameras to overlay a view of the real worl onto the screen in front then its just VR with a camera?

Zalusithix

Oculus needed a controller since they didn't have anything ready. Microsoft meanwhile was more than happy to further entrench their controller as the de-facto standard. It's not indicative of any really special relationship.

Microsoft has partnerships with all the VR companies to varying extents. In addition to the Oculus stuff, the Vive was showcased in physical Microsoft stores, and is sold on their digital storefront for instance. Now you have all these new headsets popping up where MS is working with the companies.

Gestault

why are they using the 'mixed reality' term? I know they were big with that on hololens, but surely that Acer is a VR headset? If it relies on cameras to overlay a view of the real worl onto the screen in front then its just VR with a camera?

I assume it's just the marketing label to represent that it can do both VR and AR, and blended.

12Dannu123

Because Windows Mixed Reality involves AR and VR and the interaction between them is called Mixed Reality.

Tain

Just used the Acer on the Hub floor at Build - head tracking was perfectly indistinguishable, and IQ was for me nice than the vive. No controllers here, but for the price the headset is an excellent deal

I have a lot of faith in the head tracking in isolation. I was talking about the head + controllers though, which is what will be used for gaming and a far harder scenario to deal with.

Durante

Need some impressions, the price is excelllent, but is the tracking method as good as lighthouse?
No.

There is no way it can be, we'll just need to find out how much worse it is.

Especially controller tracking seems like it would be extremely annoying in many game scenarios. E.g. shooting somewhere while looking elsewhere is one of those great things that are easy to pull off in VR and something you generally don't even imagine while playing a traditional game on a screen.

VexyWexy

You have my attention with that resolution and price point, now tell me what games I can play on it that are worth a damn

Zalusithix

No.

Especially controller tracking seems like it would be extremely annoying in many game scenarios. E.g. shooting somewhere while looking elsewhere is one of those great things that are easy to pull off in VR and something you generally don't even imagine while playing a traditional game on a screen.

Given Microsoft's focus on creation, it shouldn't be too bad I don't think. Hands are mostly used in front of you for that, and objects in the real world will be closer to you for more precise stereoscopic analysis of the environment.

Once you start gaming out in the middle of a nondescript room though... Things will probably end up falling apart.

dLMN8R

No.

If the inside-out tracking on this device pulls from Microsoft's advances they made with HoloLens - which sounds like it is the case - then there's plenty of reason to believe it'll work incredibly well.

People rightfully complain about the HoloLens's FOV, but one thing that no one ever complains about with the HoloLens is in how well it maps the environment, maps AR objects onto that environment, and truly allows those objects to "stick" to the environment perfectly no matter how you move your head around or walk around.

Inside-out tracking is an incredibly difficult thing to do. HoloLens does it on an untethered device based on 3-year-old technology and custom hardware like their Holographic Processing Unit.

There's no reason to believe that a tethered device like this Acer VR headset will be any worse than the HoloLens - the hardware is years newer, both companies have learned a hell of a lot since the HoloLens first launched, and the device can pull from processing power of the PC it's tethered to.

Will be interesting to see if MS use this for Scorpio. It seems like a good choice, as the price is decent, so providing the tracking is on par, this could be a popular option for people wanting to jump into VR.

Microsoft... using trackpads on a controller? Holy shit. This probably doesn't mean much, since it's a VR controller specifically, and also not from Microsoft directly, but now I'm a little excited for the future of Xbox controllers. IIRC, the Rift controller just has buttons and sticks, so the fact that they OK'd trackpads is cool. Neat to see them finally umbrella their own VR device, too. Wonder if Scorpio VR will help it out in any way.

Zalusithix

If the inside-out tracking on this device pulls from Microsoft's advances they made with HoloLens - which sounds like it is the case - then there's plenty of reason to believe it'll work incredibly well.

People rightfully complain about the HoloLens's FOV, but one thing that no one ever complains about with the HoloLens is in how well it maps the environment, maps AR objects onto that environment, and truly allows those objects to "stick" to the environment perfectly no matter how you move your head around or walk around.

It looks to be a cut down HoloLens tech wise. I think it's a bit of an assumption to think it'll perform on par with it.

Exuro

Inside-out tracking is an incredibly difficult thing to do. HoloLens does it on an untethered device based on 3-year-old technology and custom hardware like their Holographic Processing Unit.

There's no reason to believe that a tethered device like this Acer VR headset will be any worse than the HoloLens - the hardware is years newer, both companies have learned a hell of a lot since the HoloLens first launched, and the device can pull from processing power of the PC it's tethered to.
He's talking about controller tracking, not the headset. If it depends on the headset for correction then it'll probably have issues when they are not in view.

Yeah, I think this is just the sacrifice that is going to have to be made atm for full on wireless VR to become a reality.

You can't just stick Lighthouse cameras everywhere. Unless there is another solution I'm unaware of?

Also, I have a Vive atm and my next upgrade just depends on how open the headset is and ESPECIALLY how interchangeable it is with other VR hardware.

I wholeheartedly believe that the best thing for VR right now would be for it to emulate PC hardware and how interchangeable it all is. This helps keep costs down for people after the initial high price barrier. Hearing that the Vive wands will only work with the Vive headset is disheartening to me atm.

Why would you think that?

This:
Oculus needed a controller since they didn't have anything ready. Microsoft meanwhile was more than happy to further entrench their controller as the de-facto standard. It's not indicative of any really special relationship.

Microsoft has partnerships with all the VR companies to varying extents. In addition to the Oculus stuff, the Vive was showcased in physical Microsoft stores, and is sold on their digital storefront for instance. Now you have all these new headsets popping up where MS is working with the companies.

Plus Oculus's aggressiveness in getting people to use their store with their headset. Oculus wants you to use their store for VR. That's where the real money is, not in the headset. Unless MS is willing to put the Oculus store on Xbox, I don't see how it fits in to Oculus's strategy. You might say "It gets people to buy the headset and then maybe they eventually use it on PC", but I think that would be an edge case. Then on Microsoft's side, with these new Windows HMDs, they're going to want you to use the Windows store for VR software. You're not likely to do that with a Rift. The agendas don't align.

I'm not saying it's impossible. It's entirely possible they figure out some kind of middle ground or one or the other is willing to cede some for the short term, in service of a long play, but I think that makes them unlikely to be a partner.

Durante

Given Microsoft's focus on creation, it shouldn't be too bad I don't think. Hands are mostly used in front of you for that, and objects in the real world will be closer to you for more precise stereoscopic analysis of the environment.

Once you start gaming out in the middle of a nondescript room though... Things will probably end up falling apart.
Well, yes, I was talking about the gaming use case of course.

There's no reason to believe that a tethered device like this Acer VR headset will be any worse than the HoloLens at doing this inside-out tracking on hardware that's years newer.
For one thing, unlike Hololens it's supposed to be affordable. But let's assume technological development makes up for that.
Even under that assumption, I've never seen Hololens demonstrated in an environment like my VR room (basically 3 white walls and an indistinct floor).

But most crucially, I was talking primarily about controller tracking, not headset tracking. And if you do that with HMD-mounted cameras then it will be inherently limited -- even if, against my expectations, the HMD inside-out tracking were to deliver great results in all scenarios.

Gestault

Here you go guys. Microsoft's VR controllers

https://youtu.be/1nlcdDNOdm8

Hmm, those touchpads don't look terrible.

I'm still nervous seeing more lofty "concept" pieces for VR at this stage in the game, but at least this is more about the physical interface than the broader idea. The "hamburger" button matching the XB1 controller is interesting, even if it's just a coincidence.

You have my attention with that resolution and price point, now tell me what games I can play on it that are worth a damn

Exactly. While good hardware is still key in its own way, it should also be a given. I give zero shits about hype for VR. I want product to draw me into buying it. I need the software.

DieH@rd

Banned
What is the FOV? Also, did Acer say if it's compatible with OpenVR/SteamVR?

Field of View. Think of it how wide the image of the world is in front of your eyes. Narrow FOV means that left and right [and top and bottom] can be cut of.

Micheal Abrash of Oculus described it as one of the core components that is needed for our brain to be tricked and we can experience "presence" inside VR space [he said 100 degrees is needed].

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I assume it's just the marketing label to represent that it can do both VR and AR, and blended.

Because Windows Mixed Reality involves AR and VR and the interaction between them is called Mixed Reality.

Sure, but those headsets look solidly VR, with cameras. Overlaying a camera view of the outside world onto a scree sinnit really mixed reality - hololens is overlaying graphics onto your actual view of the world. Having a high enough framerate and accommodating corrections for parallax etc would be challenging.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ah, the vr police is also here.

Dont know what VR police even means, but you tried to bring console warzzzz in here, got called out by a few people and never answered.

Then please don't respond to my post, I was responding to c0de.

This only happened in your imagination. Consider re-reading my posts in this thread.

Sorry, but anyone can respond to anyone. There is no rule that you can only respond when being spoken to, so try to refrain from telling me what to do.

Imagination, yet you were quoted by several people? It's...right there, a few pages back. I see you edited your comment to include topic relevancy but that is irrelevant after the fact.

How about all of you cut it out and keep the discussion on-topic. If you have an issue, PM a mod.

low-G

Seems inherently limited, but I'd also venture a good middle ground spec. I'm surprised how happy I am seeing more VR headsets that aren't just mobile tier nor vaporware.

No.

If you are shooting at one direction and looking at another how would you even know it's not as precise anyway?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Forza 7 in VR.....please? Pretty please? Pretty PRETTY please with cherries on top?

DanielJr82

So who else is skipping the VR craze? I really really REALLY hope Microsoft's E3 isn't focused on VR. It's going to be another Kinect if they are.

Sure, but those headsets look solidly VR, with cameras. Overlaying a camera view of the outside world onto a scree sinnit really mixed reality - hololens is overlaying graphics onto your actual view of the world. Having a high enough framerate and accommodating corrections for parallax etc would be challenging.

The lines between AR and MR are blurry, but generally the difference is that AR could be just virtual info overlayed against the real world (so like a HUD strapped to your face). MR on the other hand is specifically virtual objects weighted in a view of the real world (so what Hololens is doing). You can technically do MR with a 2D screen though. So for example, Pokemon Go is kind of an AR experience because once you come across a Pokemon, it's overlayed against the real world. But if in addition to that, the Pokemon actually sat in that space and let you get up close to it and walk around it believably, that would be MR despite the fact that your viewport is a phone.

Considering the way the tracking works with these HMDs, the fact that they all have stereoscopic cameras, and the fact that Microsoft is trying to make these and Hololens co-exist (as in you can work on the same software together simultaneously), I'd say they're probably capable of MR.

Head.spawn

If you are shooting at one direction and looking at another how would you even know it's not as precise anyway?

My Gun Katas are on point, I expect it to work perfectly.

tumblr_m91b8dqgGL1rpoldbo1_500.gif

Maybe they take one of these headsets and stick it in Xbox branded plastics?

The package is reasonably priced compared to the others. Still extremely clunky and a bit meh though :p

cheevoman

Banned
To be clear, the headset is from Acer, but I couldn't fit that in the title.

These are Microsoft’s new VR motion controllers

orpio with Acer will ship a $399 VR headset with full motion trackers this holiday season

In related news, Alex Kipman told people to tune into E3 for more AR/VR content, so there'll likely be Scorpio announcements related to the above.

These aren't going to be compatible with Scorpio ( I think ) I see something being announced at E3 with AMD

cakefoo

So with that in mind it should easily be able to do something like Fallout 4 and something like Resi 7?
Even a cellphone HMD could play RE7 if it had the GPU power. It's just a matter of how in-depth you're expecting the physical interaction to be. Over on Vive it's 100% flawless and natural. On PSVR and the Acer headset, they could attempt it, but you'd have deadzones relying on Wii Motion+ level handtracking.

Top Bottom