• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Windows 10 VR Headsets by HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc., starting at $299

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ApJz5Df.jpg

D5mDoFG.png

They are mainly meant for content creation, as Powerpoint and Paint 3D were shown as some examples. They do not use external tracking at all such as cameras or lighthouses, but internal 6-point tracking (head tracking only?). No info just yet on gaming compatibility.

Not really a huge announcement but definitely a sneak peek to how MS might jump into VR with Scorpio.

More info: http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/26/...aphic-virtual-reality-headset-announced-price

PSGames

Starting at $299 seems expensive for just a HMD and gyro tracking.

There are AIO VR headsets cheaper than that.

Edit: I wasn't initially aware this had their inside-out tracking tech. Thats actually pretty exciting! Need hands on impressions tho.

Reckheim

Hmm, if the resolutions is high enough and you only plan to play cockpit type games I think it might be viable?

Is that PSVR knock off?

Yes, Microsoft are definitely copying the trend that Sony started, not some other companies that came up with released their VR devices earlier.

In all seriousness though, this move doesn't seem like Microsofts VR move. I don't think they'll make one. Microsoft probably want to make their platform the open VR platform, so they're promoting a number of budget devices.

FelipeMGM

Weird that they didnt talk about any gaming functionality at all with these, not even Minecraft

Clearly not the focus at the moment.

Trup1aya

Is there a link?

Seems like it's totally unrelated to gaming, but it could provide incite into how they'll handle VR compatibility on the Scorpio.

shandy706

Head tracking is all we need for a lot of VR games I actually want to play.

Mainly racing games. I want to see the specs/capabilities!!

Wollan

More importantly they specifically said it had inside-out tracking.

I'm curious how they will solve the 3D controller aspect if no external sensors but I'm still excited that someone will put inside-out tracking into the market in 2017.

Maybe their VR solution will be leap-motion like tracking for headset. With that + normal gamepad + inside-out VR hmd you will still get a decent breadth of VR experiences (i.e REZ & RIGS) but not the full breadth (i.e Batman Arkham VR).

Durante

No positional tracking and no tracked controllers means that this is no better than any random Chinese HMD you can buy.

I'm curious how they will solve the 3D controller aspect if no external sensors but I'm still excited that someone will put inside-out tracking into the market in 2017.
If it actually has inside-out positional tracking which works reliably in all kinds of scenarios I'll be incredibly surprised.

Arc81

Banned
Yes, Microsoft are definitely copying the trend that Sony started, not some other companies that came up with released their VR devices earlier.

In all seriousness though, this move doesn't seem like Microsofts VR move. I don't think they'll make one. Microsoft probably want to make their platform the open VR platform, so they're promoting a number of budget devices.

LOL there are many VR headset out there, BUT put aside your fanboyism and compare it side to side do you see similarities?

FinKL

So the Kinect of Windows 10?

I can't imagine anyone wanting to use this for Powerpoint, Paint 3D I could see

shandy706

What does that mean?

No positional tracking and no tracked controllers means that this is no better than any random Chinese HMD you can buy.

Does what the guy above you said present nothing new?

LOL there are many VR headset out there, BUT put aside your fanboyism and compare it side to side do you see similarities?

Similarities? Really? Just because of the weight distribution?

People....come on now, It's a headset like every other headset. Headset weight distribution is the best thing for VR and I'm sure many headsets on the market will also get updated versions with it in their next release.

Haha that's a PSVR head mount design. Ooh man
Psvr headmount design has been praised everywhere as the most comfortable headset design. I fully expect everyone to copy that design in the future, maybe even by 2nd gen oculus and vive headset

Unless someone come up with something better of course.

singhr1

That sounds like some terrible and cheap headsets.

These are not gaming related to compete with the others.

They START only $100 cheaper than PSVR. Stop making assumptions based on no information. They were announced without gaming as the primary purpose.

Wollan

If it actually has inside-out positional tracking which works reliably in all kinds of scenarios I'll be incredibly surprised.
They were very clear on this in the presentation (that it has inside-out tracking). Obviously we will have to see how well it works in real-life (see: Kinect). Inside-out tracking and the removal of external sensors enabled them to start the price at $299.

What does that mean?
No external camera or sensors to have VR work or complex setup (ala Rift/Vive/PSVR). A very important step in making VR more and more mainstream.
Especially when you remove the wire (though these Microsoft headsets don't seem to fix that just yet).

cilonen

????!!! 😶

Not the idea, obviously. The actual headband mechanism and means of securing it to your face.

Makes sense to announce this along side the Creators Update. VR is an interesting and useful tool for people like 3D modelers so having a low cost VR option for people like that is smart.

Zalusithix

Even if the sets do have positional tracking, the product is limited without the same tech being capable of being put in controllers and functioning equally well there. The true power of VR is only unlocked when you can positionally track more than a headset.

Top Bottom