• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Windows 10 VR Headsets by HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc., starting at $299

Noobcraft

Markerless inside out head tracking is the next step for VR because it removes the cords. It's what Oculus is targeting for their next headset and something I think Hololens has been using for a while. Microsoft probably licensed out their tech for it to Dell, Asus, Lenovo, etc. to build a VR headset.

Durante

Does what the guy above you said present nothing new?
They were very clear on this in the presentation. Inside-out tracking and the removal of external sensors enabled them to start the price at $299.
If it actually has working, rapid, reliable marker-less inside-out tracking which works in a variety of environments and also allows natural interaction (like tracked controllers or better) then I take everything back.

However, my current assumption is that this is a cheap "me-too" effort by Microsoft in order to try and grasp hold of some part of the VR market after sleeping through the nascence of yet another revolution in the way people interact with computing devices.

In all seriousness though, this move doesn't seem like Microsofts VR move. I don't think they'll make one. Microsoft probably want to make their platform the open VR platform, so they're promoting a number of budget devices.
There is an Open VR platform. It is called OpenVR. It has had over 800 pieces of software made for it or in development so far.

acm2000

basically these things will work fine for any cockpit fixed head postion vr game, aka 99.99% of actually good vr games

Is "disgusting" in this thread yet?

I see you put a checkmark in the "pathetic" column.

Tired of these words on Gaf in threads of any kind (where they're nothing but hyperbole).
Tell me about. Just count how many times you see the word "terrible" or variants of it throughout threads and thread titles. It is amazing.

This is a prelude to an Xbox One VR device which will also be its Achilles Heel. The Kinect's camera is not fast enough to track VR so any Xbox VR solution can't use it. It'd be awkward for the Xbox to require a separate camera to be used for VR so they have to come up with a camera less solution. That leaves them with inside out tracking which is currently less accurate to outside in.

One way Microsoft can sidestep the problem is to add support for existing VR products to the Xbox One.

Zalusithix

Markerless inside out head tracking is the next step for VR because it removes the cords. It's what Oculus is targeting for their next headset and something I think Hololens has been using for a while. Microsoft probably licensed out their tech for it to Dell, Asus, Lenovo, etc. to build a VR headset.

You can be cordless without markerless. A lighthouse tracked system can be totally wireless within the bounds of the lighthouse casts for instance. Markerless just saves on having to set up an environment beforehand (and increases the size of the usable area).

Somnid

I'm pretty sure all these companies want in on VR money independently of MS and MS is just giving them an avenue because they want their own part of the VR software pie. We can talk specs all day but this is increasingly confusing for consumers who likely would never pay $800 for VR anyway. The question then becomes if all the VR headsets are cheap stationary ones, why spend all that money designing for the 5% that have positional tracking? You can't just play the 10 year game and talk up future sets with inside-out tracking and foveal rendering, you need to address the current adoption rates, and that means using what you have right now and making it cheaper.

Trup1aya

Not the concept of VR. The design of the actual headset looks very similar to the PSVR headset.

These aren't even MS designs. They are made by 3rd party partners.

Anyway, it seems like PSVR is the most comfortable HMD thus far, so I'm not surprised to see 3rd parties imitate.

Console wars are likely for this thread. Already started too.

Ive no interest in a VR setup. I could see my roommates picking up a headset if I go ahead with a Scorpio tho

AP90

Hopefully they will be having it on display for testing at the MS stores. Not sure how it compares to Oculus or Vive or PSVR, but a $300 price point is more like it and easier to swallow for sure.. Wonder what the specs/internals are like.

More power to MS if they're dropping Okkkulus.

Took me a good moment to understand. Why does it sounds like a Norway Oculus version ? :")
Part of me hopes they did that because of Luckey funding racist groups. Although, I feel like it's more related to the price point :/

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
More power to MS if they're dropping Okkkulus.

Is it fair to attribute the opinions of one (albeit very important) member of staff to the entire Oculus brand and its employees?

cilonen

Is it fair to attribute the opinions of one (albeit very important) member of staff to the entire Oculus brand and its employees?

Yes, if they continue to associate themselves with him with only the weakest of comment on the situation.

It is when the entire brand and its employees decided to remain associated with that one member which happens to be the face of that company.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It is when the entire brand and its employees decided to remain associated with that one member which happens to be the face of that company.

Not so sure about that.

Also, you can't say "you'll be fired if you have a political opinion that differs to that represented by the company and other employees". That's one hell of a slippery slope.

Anyway: different topic for a different thread.

Trup1aya

If it actually has working, rapid, reliable marker-less inside-out tracking which works in a variety of environments and also allows natural interaction (like tracked controllers or better) then I take everything back.

However, my current assumption is that this is a cheap "me-too" effort by Microsoft in order to try and grasp hold of some part of the VR market after sleeping through the nascence of yet another revolution in the way people interact with computing devices.

A wierd assessment considering its simply MS showcasing some peripherals designed by 3rd party partners for there OS... no different than oculus really.

It doesn't seem like their attitude towards VR has changed at all- let others handle the hardware.

This won't grab them any part of the market beyond people choosing Windows to get their VR on.... which many people are doing anyway.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
When management covers for said person? Absolutely.

Feel free to refer to the other threads on that topic, though. The search function works wonders.

Just wondering out loud. If you had a serviceable inside out tracking system, how much more accurate could you make it if you added cheap markers to the environment? For example, a perfectly workable system could include 2-3 glowing/infrared PlayStation type balls that you place around the VR trackable space.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Better pic:

ApJz5Df.jpg

When management covers for said person? Absolutely.

Feel free to refer to the other threads on that topic, though. The search function works wonders.

Yeah, acid flashback of you kinda schooling me on the subject. I'm just a jewish kid who wants to feel okay about owning an Oculus, dude :( I watched the Believer recently and now I feel like Ryan Gosling.

Tain

Does anybody have impressions or details on Hololens tracking? Doesn't it use inside-out tracking?

It's hilarious that I pretty much forgot it existed for a minute there.

Consider me pleasantly intrigued. Inside out tracking would be fantastic if it works correctly. I've been wondering what VR headset Scorpio will use and I would much rather buy this one than give Oculus any more money.

vermadas

Inside out tracking is nice and all, but I'm not getting too excited about this until they show off a positionally tracked input device.

Does anybody have impressions or details on Hololens tracking? Doesn't it use inside-out tracking?

I've been using the Hololens for a few weeks and I am extremely impressed by its tech , tracking is smooth etc , only issue there is low field of view , but for full VR this won't be an issue . if this is a natural evolution of the Hololens tech then it could be pretty awesome

OmegaFax

This still isn't a complete system, right? Hololens was trying to accomplish something different because it transformed your living space into a ubiquitous augmented computing environment. I don't think Google has made much progress here since Google Glass went away ... even that wasn't really the same thing but tried to make computing a working, wearable thing. Google's Tango is something I think would supplement Hololens.

This is another VR headset. If Sony, HTC, and Oculus stay the course, they will likely continue to be premium in what they do.

Hololens does use inside out tracking, but tracking for AR does not have to be as accurate as tracking for VR. AR is about putting virtual objects in the real world. If they shake a bit, that's no big deal. A virtual clock on the wall that wobbles every few seconds isn't going to make you sick. The entire world doing that in VR would.

Zalusithix

Better pic:

ApJz5Df.jpg

I can't help but think the positional tracking is from the stereo cameras. Not as advanced as the setup on Hololens, but then again, for the price there's no way they could get something as advanced as the Hololens system. Should be interesting to see how accurate it is, and how it fares in low light situations (which are best for VR). Also extremely little chance it'll be useful in controllers if that's the method.

Headstrap setup looks similar to PSVR, but I think that's great. Everyone should be ripping that off because it's by far the most comfortable.

aeolist

Banned
In all seriousness though, this move doesn't seem like Microsofts VR move. I don't think they'll make one. Microsoft probably want to make their platform the open VR platform, so they're promoting a number of budget devices.

not a chance, they want to own the API and dev scene. this will be DirectVR.

Cartman86

Banned
Zero chance the inside out tracking is any good. I mean look at the price and the apps they showed. This is not the Scorpio headset or anything close to it.
Just another subpar VR device to scare people away. I'm not bitter.

Top Bottom