• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

Wow, multiplatform MP shooters should have an overwhelmingly large community if they support cross-platform network play. I imagine Battlefield 5 should support the feature.

With so many online games on different consoles and formats it's a good thing if they all shared the same online pool.

Come on Sony, it's your turn!

Just imagine being able to play battlefield crossplay with Xbox, and even PC if we can get them to require controllers

Raide

E3 will be very interesting to watch. I wonder how many indie or even bigger titles will announce cross-platform play?

ironcreed

Banned
giphy.gif

I expected this with PC, but with 'other consoles' as well? Okay then, lol.

Elandyll

Banned
That's bullshit IMHO. An unified environment doesn't mean specialized devices cant cohexist. iOS and Android have smartphones, tablets, watches, TV boxes. Xbox One is and will be Microsoft's gaming-centered device: it won't go anywhere.
Who said that Xb1 was going anywhere?

I'm just predicting, like many others, that Xb2 will be a low end Win10 HTPC with the Xbox name on it... Thus opening the network makes sense, because there's not going to be an Xbox ecosystem vs a PC ecosystem (but that's been obvious for a while now).

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I doubt Sony would allow cross play between them, but we'll see.

I thought sony already allowed this? Why are people saying your move sony? Don't Nintendo allow it already too? We should be good to go u to devs now

kpaadet

Very cool, but if games like CoD and Battlefield start using it then I hope Xbox players are ready to be destroyed by M&K ;)

Just imagine being able to play battlefield crossplay with Xbox, and even PC if we can get them to require controllers

What do you mean? Sony is already cross platform with games on PC and the biggest problem has been Microsoft cock blocking developers.

I see no reason why Sony would stop that support now. They have always said its up to devs.

NahaNago

after i calmed down after reading this. I realized that the xbox and pc makes sense for cross play. The psn though throws me off. If we go with the thinking that they are making several versions of xbox then its possible that they are simply preparing themselves for multiple consoles playing games together.

Raide

I doubt Sony would allow cross play between them, but we'll see.

If the developer wants it and Sony blocks it, it would be a dick move on Sony's part. Outside of their 1st Party games, they have no reason to block cross-play.

I wonder if Sony would do this, because wouldnt it now benefit MS way more than Sony since they have the bigger MP community?

I hope Sony does it and that major devs follow suit

Hip Hop

Wow, multiplatform MP shooters should have an overwhelmingly large community if they support cross-platform network play. I imagine Battlefield 5 should support the feature.
It'd be nice if PC was included in this, like Battlefront and Battlefield Hardline have really small communities there, but I would imagine mouse and keyboard would be too much of an advantage to let that happen.

This is a must for competitive shooters. It has to require controllers as kb/m is an unfair advantage. If you use m/kb then you should only be matched with kb/m users, and vice versa if youre using a controller.

That's awesome. One huge player pool across all platforms would be great!

Dev's / other platform holders would have to support it though of course.

whoa. Seems weird! Only reason I'm seeing people buy an Xbox these days is because they already have their community on XB LIVE. Seems once you open that floodgate you're basically throwing in the towel.

Which I suppose isn't suprising given their whole "let's open the box" approach.

Cess007

But xbox exec and some gaffers were telling us its impossible due to "security".

I remember some people even defending the lack of Cross-play 'cause it would be confusing or something like that.

Anyway, this is good news. Now i can play with my friends who own RL on XBO :D

Top Bottom