• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

Trojan

Microsoft is playing some of you like a damned fiddle. Masterful PR move by MS for something that will hardly materialize outside of their own development in the coming years.

Osukaa

This is a clever move from Microsoft, who have nothing to lose from it.

Sony, on the other hand, have nothing to gain from opening up cross-platform play with XBL.

If you were in charge of the dominant console platform and knew that people were buying it because it's what their friends already had, would you give away that advantage and allow people to buy your competitor's console and play with their friends on your network? Of course you wouldn't.

PSN and XBL together? Not gonna happen.

I have to agree with this. I see no gain that Sony gets from this. It would be really cool but I don't think its gonna happen. To me it's like them saying oh you don't have to buy our system and buy the games that we make money off of each sale. You can use the competitions system and buy their software and we will let you play without paying for our network and without giving us a profit. Again i'm not against this but business is business Sony wants to keep you buying their merchandise unless in some way they can profit off of this but I wouldn't pay extra on top of PSN to play against my XB1 friends.... it would be cool though :)

Amazing revisionist history in this thread.

In any case, about fucking time. Nice to see MS making positive steps. Hopefully the indie policy is next.

yasssssssss. now all that needs to happen is for this to get plugged in for Destiny 2 and I'll finally be able to play MP games with folks from work. literally not a one of them got a PS4. D:

Bizzquik

Masterful PR move by MS for something that will hardly materialize outside of their own development in the coming years.

I don't get comments like this. Exactly how useful is one "PR" move in the middle of March worth? Not a d@mn dollar.

Journalists are already asking Sony for comment. Even if Sony says 'No' - what has Microsoft really gained? How many consoles/games would they have just sold 'winning' a night on the internet? None.
...You assign far too much influence to nightly NeoGAF threads.

tr00per

I was under the impression that psn was already open? Isn't that why ps3 games could run on gamespy, xfire, and certain games could be cross play with ps3 & pc and not 360? I think it was ffxi that was a famous case?

If this does materialize, gta online please. I would probably buy more games on pc

The God

This is a clever move from Microsoft, who have nothing to lose from it.

Sony, on the other hand, have nothing to gain from opening up cross-platform play with XBL.

If you were in charge of the dominant console platform and knew that people were buying it because it's what their friends already had, would you give away that advantage and allow people to buy your competitor's console and play with their friends on your network? Of course you wouldn't.

PSN and XBL together? Not gonna happen.
I don't think Sony would be giving up their advantage. People will still buy PS4s to play with their friends because while cross-play is nice, it won't have basic OS features like party chat, friend lists etc

Trojan

I don't get comments like this. Exactly how useful is one "PR" move in the middle of March worth? Not a d@mn dollar.

Journalists are already asking Sony for comment. Even if Sony says 'No' - what has Microsoft really gained? How many consoles/games would they have just sold 'winning' a night on the internet? None.
...You assign far too much influence to nightly NeoGAF threads.

I'm actually in agreement with you on this. My point is that Microsoft took essentially a minor feature, spun it around so it sounded more grandiose (by including Sony), and it became front page news on gaming sites.

PR departments would call this a great move. I just don't think it's going to pan out to much.

Microsoft is playing some of you like a damned fiddle. Masterful PR move by MS for something that will hardly materialize outside of their own development in the coming years.
Come in, see this comment and leave. Figured someone would turn good news about MS into something negative.

MEGATON.

can you imagine how many more players there will be in multiplayer games.

but i'd probably want to avoid PC players since it's easier for them to cheat.

I really don't get the press release from rocket league.

Game was launched with cross platform on ps4/PC

Game comes to Xbox and they announce cross platform for Xbox and PC and other "networks" in the future. The PR reads like Sony doesn't already do this. It reads very odd. Like now it's up to Sony.

Xbox drops article about allowing cross platform.

jbug617

Banned
I really don't get the press release from rocket league.

Game was launched with cross platform on ps4/PC

Game comes to Xbox and they announce cross platform for Xbox and PC and other "networks" in the future. The PR reads like Sony doesn't already do this. It reads very odd. Like now it's up to Sony.

Xbox drops article about allowing cross platform.
In this article Dunham says they have to go back to Sony and pitch them on having cross-platform play with XB1 and PC users
http://mashable.com/2016/03/14/rocket-league-cross-platform-play-ps4-xbox-interview/

"Today is the first day that anyone outside of Psyonix and Microsoft is aware of this," he said. "So obviously Sony is still getting as much information as they can and understanding the situation before they can really talk about it."

Dunham — and the rest of Psyonix — remains optimistic. He spoke glowingly of how Sony's always been a "good partner." There are just questions that need to be answered.

"The main process is now we have to talk about it," Dunham said.

"We have to discuss what [cross-platform play] means, what the implications are for PlayStation Network users and what the implications are in terms of the existing security protocols. Very similar to what happened with Microsoft and our long discussions with them."

Now, those discussions need to happen all over again, with Sony.

"We understand that Sony's got to evaluate everything that this means for them," Dunham said. "This is the first time in history that this is even a legitimate possibility for anybody. So we understand that it's going to take some discussion, but we're also really optimistic."

In My mind it means a select cross platform titles, mostly MMO's will play nice with both consoles. That alone makes it worth it. I know people hate Dayz around here but the idea of cross platform Dayz is making me drool. Lots of cool things could come from this. I mean, probably not battlefront 2 cross console play but other, smaller things.

Angel_DvA

Sony has nothing to gain from opening up cross-platform play with XBL especially when they're leading the console market with a far bigger community than Microsoft, it's a huge advantage for them...

If I were Sony, I'll say no, especially since the PSN has really improve since the PS3 and probably cost a lot of money for them so that won't happen anyway.

Sanctuary

Sounds great! Now what's the catch?

Exactly. It's not like Microsoft is more concerned with "giving" than they are making money. What incentive do they have with this? Are they expecting people to suddenly see them in an entirely new light, and buy an Xbone if they don't already have one to repay the favor? This is like Coke teaming up with Pepsi. It makes no sense.

EGOMON

This thing won't pan out the way people here are freaking out for
Typical, you always fall for these stuff, wait until you hear more about it

ultrazilla

Very awesome for Microsoft to do this! For all the heat they've gotten over the Xbox One, they deserve praises here!

Probably too soon for Nintendo NX speculation but people are talking about Sony not opening up their servers for this. Are we forgetting Nintendo
and what appears to be their intent to go mobile/embrace online aspects more? Could Nintendo open up with MS for crossplay? A cooperative
Microsoft and Nintendo relationship(Minecraft is doing huge numbers on the Wii U) would be amazing. I'm not saying buy outs or that kind of thing.
Just friendly cooperation.

Either way, good job MS! :)

This thing won't pan out the way people here are freaking out for
Typical, you always fall for these stuff, wait until you hear more about it

All it means is the kind of third party games that now offer crossplay between PC and PS4(Rocket league,Brawlhalla etc) can now do the same with Xbone. It's fantastic news. What it means for games like Overwatch, CoD, battlefield remains to be seen.

Quazar

Very awesome for Microsoft to do this! For all the heat they've gotten over the Xbox One, they deserve praises here!

Probably too soon for Nintendo NX speculation but people are talking about Sony not opening up their servers for this. Are we forgetting Nintendo
and what appears to be their intent to go mobile/embrace online aspects more? Could Nintendo open up with MS for crossplay? A cooperative
Microsoft and Nintendo relationship(Minecraft is doing huge numbers on the Wii U) would be amazing. I'm not saying buy outs or that kind of thing.
Just friendly cooperation.

Either way, good job MS! :)
NX
NintendoXbox 😳

what happens in the interim? does the PC/PS4 option get put on hold or will both platforms be playing with PC now?

PC players will be able to match up with either. Each console only with PC. Though it won't happen for awhile anyway because the Xbone version is a few updates behind. Hopefully this happens soon so we can go full cross platform all in one.

I highly doubt Sony will agree to this, same for Nintendo. This is more MS funneling to Win10 and making Xbox more a part of Win10 ecosystem than some sort of olive branch to Sony and Nintendo.

I highly doubt Sony will agree to this, same for Nintendo. This is more MS funneling to Win10 and making Xbox more a part of Win10 ecosystem than some sort of olive branch to Sony and Nintendo.

Sony has never been against it though? Why would they start now. This has nothing to do with Windows 10. It's simply a smart move because games like Rocket league having a smaller community on Xbox all the while Sony with advantage of having access to the PC community who uses Microsoft Windows lol. It's just common sense and was about time.

Yeah I wouldn't even need cross play, I would gladly buy a copy for ps4 if I could just move my character back and forth.

This won't happen.

Psyonix_Corey Via reddit.
The main thing to know here is that platform holders generally don't like people transferring paid content into their ecosystem that was purchased elsewhere. This is typically the reason you don't see this type of functionality - they're (understandably, imo) very protective of outside data coming in. It wouldn't be great if you bought a DLC on Steam on super sale, then transferred it onto your Xbox via our backend..
There are partial solutions you could consider (only earned/unpaid content can migrate), but those have their own problems, and the usual answer is a blanket "no", or only a one-time migration and not true 'cloud' save.

and this is why.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
Some comments are really backwards. The ball is not Sony's court.
PSN has always been open to other networks ( a legacy from PS3 era, think FFXI )
Now MS xbox live finally catches up ( since xb1 userbase is small )
Now 2 companies have to work out the details how to implement cross network play. There is a hint from Microsoft that they want to dictate the rules of engagements.

Sony will certainly refuse that,

I think in the near future we will have a PR war.

Microsoft will spin this as Sony being anti consumer.
And sony will say they already have an existing open network between PC + PSN, any new network joining should not break existing mechanism.

FF14, SFV will never come to XB1 if MS insist Enix Square to rewrite the network code and Sony changes their networking.

In short nothing much changes in practice. Only more people arguing in online forums

for shiggles
(...)
Thanks for your insights, very interesting post.

here's what's going to happen

Also nice post, and I agree with most of it. I don't think old games will be enabled to support this, except maybe a few. And you won't see SFV on XBOX, but for other reasons.

But I don't think it's Sony who decides what happens, it's the developers' choice. If they feel that this is just another move to force them to develop UWAs instead of Win32 games, then some of them won't support it anyhow. That's what I meant with "limitations" earlier on.

PSN has always been open to other networks ( a legacy from PS3 era, think FFXI )
Now MS xbox live finally catches up ( since xb1 userbase is small )
Now 2 companies have to work out the details how to implement cross network play. There is a hint from Microsoft that they want to dictate the rules of engagements.

Sony will certainly refuse that,

I think in the near future we will have a PR war.

Microsoft will spin this as Sony being anti consumer.
And sony will say they already have an existing open network between PC + PSN, any new network joining should not break existing mechanism.

FF14, SFV will never come to XB1 if MS insist Enix Square to rewrite the network code and Sony changes their networking.

In short nothing much changes in practice. Only more people arguing in online forums

Bookmark this. It's exactly what's going to happen.

iBlue

This is fantastic news! now we will see more people online and now you dont have to buy a console just to play with your friends.

Phil always delivering the good stuff.

Sony has the bigger online player base by virtue of more ps4 consoles sold.
If Sony were to open its larger online player base to xbox live, sony would probably need something in return from MS.

From a business standpoint, what's in it for Sony? A person can just skip the ps4, buy a cheap xbox one and reap the benefits of PSN's larger online base.

Exactly. It's not like Microsoft is more concerned with "giving" than they are making money. What incentive do they have with this? Are they expecting people to suddenly see them in an entirely new light, and buy an Xbone if they don't already have one to repay the favor? This is like Coke teaming up with Pepsi. It makes no sense.

One of the major downsides to the XB1 losing marketshare to the PS4 is that they have a smaller pool of online players to pull from. That means longer times to find matches, and poorer connections in terms of ping and skill matching. That doesn't means that they would be poor, especially for popular games, but it does mean that multiplayer games would be more viable for a larger selection of games and for a longer amount of time on the PS4. That would be yet one more pressure to suppress XB1 sales even more going forward.

Another reason Microsoft would want to do this is that they are trying to unite the PC and Xbox into one unified Windows 10 gaming platform. That allows the Xbox to benefit for the near monopoly Windows OS and gives Windows one more platform to offer up and promote Software As A Service. If Xbox didn't allow connections to the PSN network then games that had PS4-to-PC connections would be obstacles for the Xbox to join in.

Oh and don't forget that Microsoft is making a business of selling Azure cloud services. It is in their best interest to have a robust online multiplayer gaming community that made use of their services regardless of which console they were using.

I can see Sony not outright banning connections to the Xbox network but not lifting a finger to support it either. They'd rather spend the resources to add more features to their network to make it more competitive than to spend those resources connecting to Xbox and giving up some autonomy in the process. If such connections were allowed they would probably be treated as second class citizens with limited communication and social capabilities.

Mr_Moogle

This is exactly why competition is such a good thing. Sony dominating Microsoft this generation is forcing them to re-think some of their outdated policies.

Sony has the bigger online player base by virtue of more ps4 consoles sold.
If Sony were to open its larger online player base to xbox live, sony would probably need something in return from MS.

From a business standpoint, what's in it for Sony? A person can just skip the ps4, buy a cheap xbox one and reap the benefits of PSN's larger online base.

UC4 and Ratchet & Clank on Win 10 Store!

Nope.

Maybe they're getting some better cloud/server services as PSN is a bit shaky?

tr00per

That's what I thought. Thanks. But what exactly would the rules of engagement be? What if a company wanted to host a game on its own servers (independent of psn and xbl)?

ZoyosJD

e^(pi*i) + 1 = 0

Praise the pi, we have come full circle.

I now pose the theorem of online equivalency:

X [] O Δ = X BOX 360 SUCCESSOR.

J/K slight overreaction but still cool nonetheless.

Top Bottom