• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft buys Havok from Intel, GAFfers tear skin off while screaming about endtimes

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well if the licensing deals are profitable enough for Microsoft to continue, then why would Intel sell it?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Nothing will change. This is solely to make money, they'll just license havok to whoever needs it.

Good buy for them.

entremet

It seems like this logo is on at least half of the video games I play.

havok_logo_large.png

I can't stand how these logos are appear.

TLOU did it right.

NeOak

Demon's Souls Remastered exclusive to XB1.

Demon's Souls Remastered: No Havok Edition exclusive to PS4

Nintendo to discontinue Smash Bros series.

It's over

This is actually a pretty big deal, especially when you account for how shitty it's only competition, PhysX, tends to run on ATI hardware (aka the PS4).

Unless Microsoft plans to continue licensing it out to everyone, which seems unlikely.

ITT: People who don't know how contracts work. More news at 11.

This is actually a pretty big deal, especially when you account for how shitty it's only competition, PhysX, tends to run on ATI hardware (aka the PS4).

Unless Microsoft plans to continue licensing it out to everyone, which seems unlikely.
Of course they will. They are not stupid lol

Like when people said that Minecraft would be MS platform exclusive.

Ridley327

Well if the licensing deals are profitable enough for Microsoft to continue, then why would Intel sell it?
It's probably just as simple as Intel not wanting to be a part of the console gaming business anymore, as their interests lie elsewhere.

OmegaDL50

Microsoft is a business first. They would never deny potential business partners/money.

Pretty much this.

Just because Microsoft now owns the right to the Havok physics engine doesn't mean it will only be used exclusively in Microsoft products.

There will still be 3rd party and even competing 1st party titles from Sony or Nintendo that could utilize that Havok engine.

This purchase isn't to prevent competitors from using it. It's to allow Microsoft to get a piece of the profits on any game it's used on.

Microsoft thinks in business to make money by additional means, not in fanboy rationalities with limited scope.

LewieP

If there were no option to license it for PS4, no publishers would just drop PS4 support, they would drop Havok.

I imagine that Havok will stay platform agnostic for the immediate future. Perhaps there will be Xbox/Windows 10 specific benefits, but forcing devs using it to be Microsoft exclusive would kill their licensing business.

MS doesn't have problems with more money.

C0unter

Is Intel going through financial difficulties or is there some other reason behind them selling Havok, seems like an odd decisions? Also do we know how much microsoft payed?

yatesl

People suggesting future games on the PS4 won't use Havok need to take their console war blinders off.

I'm surprised Intel sold. They're not exactly struggling for cash (as far as I know.)

Somnid

My guess is long term they want a cheap physics API with good DirectCompute integration to keep people firmly in the Windows platform.

LOL at people thinking MS will shut off people from using Havok.

Hoje0308

Banned
Once again, we have to remind people that MS is run by businessmen, not childish fanboys that sleep next to a black box every night. They have more to gain by licensing out the technology than they do by forcing developers to find a new multiplatform solution.

Great, it's already happening.

Wagram

Changes nothing most likely. Even though businesses compete with one another they still do business with each other. For example; Sony supplies Apple with camera sensors despite competing with them with the Xperia.

Not everything is a console war.

Troy

Banned
This just made life a lot harder for any gamer that ever uttered the phrase, "I'll never give a cent to Microsoft after what they did...".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well it certainly makes much more sense than Intel, who really has no benefit to owning them since Larrabee was shot into the sun.

As for why MS bought this, its probably to foster their cloud physics computation, as thats the best use it has for gaming right now. A native integration into Havok could increase the potential interest.

You got it the other way around man.

Microsoft licensing and collecting royalties is the infinitely more likely scenario.

But yes it's still a pretty big deal.

This just made life a lot harder for any gamer that ever uttered the phrase, "I'll never give a cent to Microsoft after what they did...".
That gamer is usually not aware anyway that most games are created through MS software like Visual Studio, including Sony games lol

crinale

Well to benefit from monopoly Microsoft could jack up the royalty fee for non-Microsoft platforms. However I don't know how strong havok's monopoly is so I may be totally off.

Peltz

I doubt Microsoft would prohibit the use of havok on non-MS platforms. If they do, third party devs will simply avoid it.

It's not like there aren't other ways that devs do physics. Platform agnosticism is more important than havok will ever be.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
they should buy NaturalMotion off Zynga (seriously, why did they buy it?). Makes me sad we don't see that more in games and instead get floppy ragdolls from the 90s

Xpliskin

I must have missed a readme or something.

I really hope this is just a business acquisition and that MS staff stays as far away as possible from it.

Top Bottom